Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

WD article: Nagash the Great Necromancer

Red_Dox#2328Red_Dox#2328 Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 6,460
It is May 1994 and the new Undead armybook for 4th edition is released, featuring the legend that brought the Undead blight to the world.

Keep in mind that this would be the groundwork for later editions. Like the first flex for Vampire Bloodlines or the first idea of a Tomb Kings armylist in 5th, followed by the Strigoi Bloodline or first Tomb King armybook in 6th. So yeah, GW changed and added some parts later on ;)

Source: White Dwarf#173 (UK)

Rules+Miniatures
4th edition

8th edition - Endtimes

And while we are there, some addition from the Vampire Count armybook 8th edition (2011)

So even in that armybook, Nagash was already alive and walked the earth. We all know that 2014 "The (horrible) Endtimes" struck

and told a different story about how Nagash in 1681 came only back for "one night" and faded then away, hence the first 200 Endtimes pages people collecting summon material over half the world and some battles to fight along that so that in the end they could bring Nagash back into the world of the living. But that is GWs horrible Endtimes and CA does not need to retell that.

And CA actually did not. With game#2 they fleshed out their own Endtimes story. We have to wait and see were it will take us in game#3, but in regards of Nagash we seem to walk the old lore.
Arkhans TK epilogue has him trying to summon Nagash from the dead, but apparently he is not there.

Later, when Nagashizzar was placed on Mortal Empire, Arkhan visits Nagash apparently there.

While the greenskin rework changed Azhags text, Nagashs crown pulling the greenskin towards its master seemingly has not much to tell us.

The Vampire Coast epilogues also *could* point toward Nagash (Harkon) or Drachenfels (Cylostra) trying to recruit henchmen.

During "The (horrible) Endtimes, Drachenfels aka the Nameless was in service of Nagash but CA could of course have other plans since Drachenfels was on itself a very ancient and powerful being. Time will tell what game#3 might unfold for a story.

Similar topics
Chaos

Dwarfs

Lizardmen

The Empire

Undead

The Ivory Road
Olde Weirde's Incunabulum 3of5

-----Red Dox

Comments

• CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 14,927
    I'm... actually surprised to see his old model was that big. I was under the impression that it was human sized.
    Furthermore, I consider that Daemon Prince must be removed.
  • Sirspoon#3586Sirspoon#3586 Registered Users Posts: 148
    edited July 2021
    I always remember his model being a bit of a joke, that classic "official" paint job as well as any paint jobs my undead army mates did. However it doesn't look half bad the 2nd one you showed... Maybe the model wasn't so bad after all.

Edit: it's definitely the same model.. looks it?
  • bradleyvincentwellsbradleyvincentwells Registered Users Posts: 335
    THIS is the version of Nagash - diminished and brooding in his fortress while his agents cause havoc in the world - that is so much more interesting that the Frankenstein monster they stitched together in The End Times. In this version (5th ed., I believe), Nagash never really left the mortal plain. He was de-powered from his last defeat, sulking in his fortress and bidding time. Nagash was also stripped of his magic items, like his crown, which he used to influence Azhag.

I always felt this version of Nagash was much more in-line with a playable Nagash in TW:WH.
  • HeresyHoundHeresyHound Registered Users Posts: 8,285
    Azhag: "Alright, Iron Hat, we'z 'ere, now what?"

Nagash: "Ummm good question. I hadn't actually figured that out yet."
  • Red_Dox#2328Red_Dox#2328 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,460
    edited July 2021
    Crossil said:

I'm... actually surprised to see his old model was that big. I was under the impression that it was human sized.

Well, he was a actual monster back then.

So around Orion size bakc then (even if Orion came later)

The newer miniature just....overdid it a bit. But making newer models insanely big/huge is a trademark of AoS and GWs new design philosophy (also hitting 40k).
    Sirspoon said:

However it doesn't look half bad the 2nd one you showed... Maybe the model wasn't so bad after all.
    Edit: it's definitely the same model.. looks it?

It is the same, just with a different paintjob. Did just pick that picture for size but we could find other paintjobs in the net. But sadly I do not find some from actually gifted artists in modern standards.

------Red Dox
  • bradleyvincentwellsbradleyvincentwells Registered Users Posts: 335

Azhag: "Alright, Iron Hat, we'z 'ere, now what?"

Nagash: "Ummm good question. I hadn't actually figured that out yet."

Azhag: "What-a-we gonna to do tonight, Brain?"

Nagash: "The same thing we do every night, Pinky..."
  • 2SertsimTBC2SertsimTBC Registered Users Posts: 3
    edited July 2021
    I hope he will be a faction leader and not a hero, because i want him to feel like a main guy, i want to see his deformed scull in diplomacy screem and feel cold wind of his chilling voice when he makes comments about his heroes and lords, even if we have to work to get him i still want him hovering above the map like empreror from 3k until his arrival
    Having Drachenfells or neferata to be in this position will be counterintuitive and far less fun
  • DarthEnderX-#6513DarthEnderX-#6513 Registered Users Posts: 4,731
    I still legit think this is the coolest he's ever looked...

"Assassination's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it."