Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Limit flying units' spotting abilities

TheKrakenmeisterTheKrakenmeister Registered Users Posts: 135
The flying lord hovering around an army sniping valuable units is generally bad for the game imo. Yes there are counters, but being forced into bringing those counters is also bland. Proposed change: flying units without predatory senses (or another differently-flavored version) are unable to spot units hidden by trees, stalk, or unspottable.

Why is someone on a huge dragon able to spot a tiny lizard through the canopy below them? Why is flying way above give the same visibility on unspottable units as standing right next to them? You could make some of the flying mounts 50g cheaper or something to compensate. I just think the utility provided by a flying sniping lord could be tuned down a smidge.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Totentanz777Totentanz777 Registered Users Posts: 636
    No, this is a bad idea. Scouting forests is part of the strategy element.
  • Lotus_MoonLotus_Moon Registered Users Posts: 11,683
    Why? makes no sense to to me why they would not spot units in same way as others do.

plenty of ways to prevent it
  • TheKrakenmeisterTheKrakenmeister Registered Users Posts: 135

Why? makes no sense to to me why they would not spot units in same way as others do.

Can you see through that? I certainly wouldn't be able to spot an army laying an ambush.

Exactly, and I'd argue that having an abundance of 90+ speed units that can see anything and everything with no risk (against most factions) takes away from the strategic depth.
  • wunderb0rwunderb0r Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 855
    didn't know flying units magically uncover all the forrest-hidden units
    ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

Can you see through that? I certainly wouldn't be able to spot an army laying an ambush.

Exactly, and I'd argue that having an abundance of 90+ speed units that can see anything and everything with no risk (against most factions) takes away from the strategic depth.
    Neither could ground troops by that logic...or if we apply fantasy logic elves should spot whole battle field....
    also imagine being shot by ranged air and just run to a forest so you cannot be seen and targeted....would be a fun mechanic lol
  • mightygloinmightygloin Karaz-a-KarakRegistered Users Posts: 5,260
    Whatever forests exist in this game, they are hardly that dense to offer full cover though. Otherwise might be fun idea, especially if flying units get a manual landing option.
    edited August 6

You realize missile units can literally shoot through trees for the first 30m or so right? Like their projectiles literally go through the trees.

Gameplay > Realism

This would make forest camping with missile units even stronger. Those 90 speed flying units can't do anything until they engage, they pay for their stats like all units do, and flying units generally have lower health to compensate. Also literally every faction in the game has missiles other than VC, who also have a solid airforce. So actually, there are counters to these flying units. Shoot them with missiles and they will take damage.

This idea would make the game much worse.
  • BovineKingBovineKing Registered Users Posts: 744
    Most predatory birds have incredible eyesight, hawks can literally divebomb a mouse in a field.

Now how this affects mythological creatures I have no idea, also doesn’t necessarily mean that information can be conveyed to rider.

However from gameplay perspective I think this would only further encourage forest camping and mind you I play WE. I think using terrain to hide units in reserve is fine but camping should be discouraged.
    i can totally imagine arrows beign blocked by all that forest in photo...so misisles shooting out should loose 90% of their arrows? or are we not applying logic where it does not suit the argument?
  • TheKrakenmeisterTheKrakenmeister Registered Users Posts: 135
    Hmm well you would also be giving units like eagles and terradons the old spotting abilities, but I (although don't agree) see why people wouldn't like the forest camping encouragement.

From a purely gameplay perspective though, what about limiting (most) flying units from being able to see just stalked and/or unspottable units? I feel like stalk/unspottable should be a good but not permanent counter to being sniped by flying units.

Hmm well you would also be giving units like eagles and terradons the old spotting abilities, but I (although don't agree) see why people wouldn't like the forest camping encouragement.

From a purely gameplay perspective though, what about limiting (most) flying units from being able to see just stalked and/or unspottable units? I feel like stalk/unspottable should be a good but not permanent counter to being sniped by flying units.

No. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.
  • Disposable HeroDisposable Hero Registered Users Posts: 6,959
    Scouting with flying or other mobile units seems like working as intended.
    Don't fear the knockdown. Control it. Embrace it. Love it! :smile:
  • HL230P45HL230P45 Registered Users Posts: 285
    edited August 7
    I agree with OP. Flying units should not see as far into the forest as they do now. I didn't even know that they could until I played as beastmen amd those freaking sisters spotted my ambush from 150 metres.