Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

WD article: Azhag the Slaughterer

Red_Dox#2328Red_Dox#2328 Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 6,450
edited September 2021 in General Discussion
Azhag began his life in 4th edition Orcs & Goblins armybook

and got his miniature a bit later then other greenskins.

We also had a 1993 WD battle report during these times (before Azhag got his own miniature, so the battlereport had the generic Wyvern Warboss).

Source: White Dwarf#157 (UK)
Noteworthy: Azhags Wyvern had a different name back then.

6th edition armybook had this short story.

In 6th edition the armybook included just the two new guys, Grimgor & Wurrzag. So the older special chars got updated rules over the GW homepage.

Now we jump in time to 7th edition in 2009. Azhag gets a brand new miniature.

And that of course sparks some new White Dwarf information.

Source: White Dwarf#357 (UK)
Noteworthy: That it is mentioned that Azhag bound the slain to his will and send them against his enemies.

Source: White Dwarf#358 (UK)

In 8th edition apparently they also remastered the old Osterwald battle for modern times armybooks (right to start of the new rulebook. So no new armybooks yet, explaining the absence of Arachnarok or Demigryphs)

Source: White Dwarf#367 (UK)

Azhaghs story, 8th edition Orcs & Goblins armybook.

In 8th edition, when "Storm of Magic" hit and GWs plan was to sell extra monsters and units to people who had "finished armies", one of the more intriguing ideas was to add Undead for Azhags use.

Source: White Dwarf#380 (UK)

Azhag is in TWW since the start.

While initially his starting position in Black Crag was problematic, that was fixed with the greenskin rework. Also not perfect now but it works definitely better. Since Arkhan and Alarielle came with "mixed troops", and I still hope for something along those lines for Morathi in game#3, I always wondered why they did not did something similar with Azhag here. Interestingly enough, Alarielle was the last with such a "mixed unit" approach. Maybe they dropped it overall, or we get a better refined approach later in game#3 with Whomever. Does Azhag need undead units? No, certainly not. But it would work within its lore and could further keep him a bit different from regular greenskin LL.

When CA added Nagashizzar in ME, it was more for certain Undead LLs to get a flavor text there. Afaik Azhag had no special text then. But that came later with the greenskin rework.

It is just a nice nitpick since the ambition of the crown was always to get back to its master, who waits in Nagashizzar (Yes, clearly Lord of the Rings). It still might be interesting what might happen to Azhag *if* Nagash would actually be added in game#3. I mean, a Nagash questbattle to get his crown from Azhag is already written on the wall then. But, would other things change for Azhag, maybe coming with a 2nd greenskin rework? Time will tell.

Similar topics
Chaos

Dark Elves

Dwarfs

Lizardmen

The Empire

Undead

The Ivory Road
Olde Weirde's Incunabulum 3of5
25 most influential Warhammer characters

-----Red Dox
Post edited by Red_Dox#2328 on

Comments

• Tennisgolfboll#5877Tennisgolfboll#5877 Registered Users Posts: 13,256
    Such a great character and that old model was fantastic!
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • sykall#1105sykall#1105 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,000
    By a margin my favorite greenskin character. Which is sayjng something as I like many greenskin lords
    Filling the white spots - 7 made-up factions to enrich the empty parts of the WFB setting
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/288418/filling-the-white-spots-7-made-up-factions-to-fill-out-the-wfb-setting
  • WaaaghCheif#7753WaaaghCheif#7753 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,379

Tfw a mobile game version of Total War has the FUTURE TECHNOLOGY of giving Azhags his flag. But the PC version dosen't.

• CosmikNoise#2167CosmikNoise#2167 Registered Users Posts: 160
    Thanks for sharing pal. Especially the WD bits.

I remember opening the Greenskins 4th edition army book back in the 90's with all the amazing art, models and such, and also how much Azhag's story amused me from the very first lines above the rest.

Sadly, I never managed to bring the model to the table.

CA did an awesome job with him.
  • Red_Dox#2328Red_Dox#2328 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,450

Tfw a mobile game version of Total War has the FUTURE TECHNOLOGY of giving Azhags his flag. But the PC version dosen't.

To be fair here, is that game even out yet? Have not seen or heard much of it recently. Even their official youtube video seems to be taken down ^^
    http://www.totalwarbattles.com/warhammer/

------Red Dox
  • Alexandrian2202Alexandrian2202 Registered Users Posts: 50
    Thanks Red Dox! Always love reading these old articles. Any chance of you sharing the actual battle report from the Battle of Osterwald? I’d be interested to see how it played out on the tabletop if it’s not too much trouble.
  • MiniaAr#5798MiniaAr#5798 Registered Users Posts: 1,788
    Thank you a lot for this @Red_Dox

As a user of thematic armies, This is especially useful because it informs us about the type of armies that Azagh should have (in a thematic sense).

From the Storm of Magic list, we have:

Characters:
    Lords:
    Goblin Great Shaman -> Good for Azagh's faction second army

Heroes:
    Orc Shaman
    Goblin Shaman -> Not in the game at the moment
    Night Goblin Shaman
    Orc Big Boss -> Is the BoBB a good alternative or the Goblin BB should be preferred

Core:
    Orc Boyz
    Orc Boyz spears -> Were are those CA?!
    Savage Orcs
    Night Goblins Spears
    Night Goblins Bows

Special:
    Black Ocs
    Savage Orcs Boar Boyz
    Goblin Spear Chukkas -> Where are those CA again?!
    Night Goblins Squid Hoppers

Rare:
    Doomdiver Catapult
    Arachnarok Spiders

It's a bit all over the place, but basically Azagh should probably have both Night Goblins and Orc Boyz in his army, supplemented by Artillery and Arachnaroks.

Problem is, his bonuses are mainly targeted for Orcs, nothing for Goblins or Night Goblins IIRC.
  • RamsesIII#4621RamsesIII#4621 Registered Users Posts: 1,176
    Really wish his last miniature was still for sale (even better if it was plastic). Peak Orc & Goblins aesthetic in my opinion.

He's such a cool character too, the way the crown affects his personality and his perspective on things, his sense of disconnect with the lifestyle of Greenskins. It really set him apart from the rest.
  • Patrikseve#8733Patrikseve#8733 Member Registered Users Posts: 2,129
    I only play him really if I play the greenskins.
  • Mr_Finley7#4571Mr_Finley7#4571 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,414
    Azhag has always been my favorite Greenskin
  • IamNotArobot#8850IamNotArobot#8850 Registered Users Posts: 5,743
    azhag used to look like a chaos dwarf .
    *Justice, cats and CONFEDERATION ENABLED for the Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast! feat mummies and Apophas.
    *Exclusive DLCs for Tomb Kings, Vampire Coast, BM, CW and WE! #DLCsAreRacesToo
    *Remaster all WH1 and WH2 faction icons for WH3!
    *Ogre Kingdoms core race or death!
    *Bring back settlement conquering artworks!
    *Gnoblar Carpet for Greesus
    *Improve UI

edited September 2021
    Found another short story for Azhag in 6th edition and added it above.

Thanks Red Dox! Always love reading these old articles. Any chance of you sharing the actual battle report from the Battle of Osterwald? I’d be interested to see how it played out on the tabletop if it’s not too much trouble.

I skipped that deliberately because probably too uninteresting for the majority here. And even from us old TT geeks, 4th edition battle reports is a long throw back to remember the rules and appreciate certain situations. Even if we would have it easier then people understanding whats going on who never touched TT in the first place ;) I looked it over but...when I reached p12 and still was not done, I decided its just a bit too much to put up. So I let it stick with the lore + armylists above. But if you are still interested, this might help you out.
    MiniaAr said:

Thank you a lot for this @Red_Dox

As a user of thematic armies, This is especially useful because it informs us about the type of armies that Azagh should have (in a thematic sense).

It's a bit all over the place, but basically Azagh should probably have both Night Goblins and Orc Boyz in his army, supplemented by Artillery and Arachnaroks.

Problem is, his bonuses are mainly targeted for Orcs, nothing for Goblins or Night Goblins IIRC.

Keep in mind that the three shown armies are from different edition. 4th edition as the earliest, then the 7th edition list were the O&G book already has a bit changed and the the 8th edition SoC example. Where 8th edition brought the new Archnaroks and for that example of course they wanted ratehr to sell Undeads and gave him a TK pact (VC pact came later with the new VC armybook). Most WAAAGHS!!! are all over the place. There migth be a hardend center of the boyz that started with the leader, but then greenskins come from all over the world to join up. Its not wrong for TWW purposes maybe to rely more on orcs then Goblins, even in a thematic army were you might still have some Goblin units/heroes around.
    RamsesIII said:

Really wish his last miniature was still for sale (even better if it was plastic). Peak Orc & Goblins aesthetic in my opinion.

There is always the second hand market starting with eBay ;)
    Azhags first release was in metal. Which imo would be the prefered choice to look for (easier to strip the paint imo, if wanting to paint yourself). Then with Failcast later, they went to resin. And I assume that would be used these days should they pick him up once more. From time to time GW sells a limited amount of old stuff temporarily. So also worth to maybe keep an eye open. I would assume once "The Old World" might actually be released and hyped, it would make sense to drum up new Mail Order only offers for some useful/related older "out of stock" stuff. But that can still be years down the road.

In case you might have 3D print access, while looking around for Azhag stuff I stumbled over Necromancer Boss Git on Bone-Crusha. Which looks pretty good. But I have no printer myself, so I don't know if the endproduct actually would hold up for the pictures *shrug*.

------Red Dox
    Found another Azhag battlereport in WD#367. Added it in above.
    I wonder how much more Azhag stuff I further might stumble over while digging for something else.

-----Red Dox
  • PraiseSigmawPraiseSigmaw Forlì, ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 3,059
    I love 4th-5th edition Warhammer and its tongue-in-cheek cartoony feel with none of that grimdark nonsense.
  • mightygloin#2446mightygloin#2446 Karaz-a-KarakRegistered Users Posts: 6,122
    Obligatory mention that foot Azhag is still too damn squishy. 70 armor 30 something MD and 3.2k HP.. Is this a skink boi?

#aintmyboss