Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

well CA is not alone in idoicity of how to market a game

saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 14,303
edited September 8 in Off Topic General

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc
Post edited by BillyRuffian on

Comments

• XxXScorpionXxXXxXScorpionXxX Registered Users Posts: 3,701
    MS is notorious for having corporate suits show up and micromanage the hell out of development teams to the detriment of the project. 343 is my go to example.

...at least they don't commit literal fraud like CDPR.
    Request scorched body textures, poisoned dying animations for infantry's skeletons, a blood slider that allows us to control how much blood appears in battle and make proper death animations for all ethereal units so they vanish for Blood for the Blood God 3.
  • NeodeinosNeodeinos Registered Users Posts: 11,800
    edited September 8
    Yup, their marketing is atrocious. I was never hyped for this game but I played the beta and it's looking very good.

• User_ClueUser_Clue Registered Users Posts: 804

MS is notorious for having corporate suits show up and micromanage the hell out of development teams to the detriment of the project. 343 is my go to example.

...at least they don't commit literal fraud like CDPR.

Apparently modern day Microsoft is pretty hands off with its studios. Xbox has been under new leadership for about 6 years now, so it's hard to say how they really compare to back when say, the Xbox one first released. You'd be surprised how much even a single executive can change a companies direction.

This video isn't about development issues though, apparently the game is great. The Video is just about the marketing being off. Microsoft might not be doing a good job of that, but them involving themselves with the marketing is not any form of micromanagement. Microsoft are publishing the game, it's their responsibility to market it.

I also wouldn't equate anything happening with 343 to anything else. 343 is pretty much just Microsoft with a different logo. It's a partitioned segment of the company made to solely hold the Halo franchise, not really a separate subsidiary company like Relic. The head of the studio is one of the heads at Xbox. The woman is one of the cooperate suits you just mentioned, but she's also the person who is supposed to be managing the studio.
    "Daemons are abroad again, and the servants of the foul gods march south with the storm at their backs. But as the winds of magic stir, other powers rise to contest it.
    I have seen the Lady, my brothers. She came to me from the waters and told me of the trials to come. This is why I call you here, so that her summons may be answered. I call Errantry, a crusade to strike at the heart of the new darkness"

-- The Lionhearted
  • MaelasMaelas Registered Users Posts: 4,349
    Hot take, I hate how zoomed in AoE IV is. After years of AoE2, this looks suffocatingly narrow
    I believe in Slaanesh supremacy
  • WarlockeWarlocke Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,590
    Nobody here, including me, really knows anything about marketing games.

Buuuut, it seems to me that probably 95%+ of the people complaining about not seeing enough of the game are the ones who will certainly buy the game and have probably already preordered.

From a marketing perspective, why do we need to see anything more of the game?

The only people CA need to market to are the casual fans, people on the fence, and potential new players. If you want to get them interested, it might be much better to have a media blitz in the 2 months before release rather than a protracted dribble campaign. I don’t know, but that seems plausible, and less expensive.

I really don’t understand what people are complaining about.
    ò_ó
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,085
    Warlocke said:

Buuuut, it seems to me that probably 95%+ of the people complaining about not seeing enough of the game are the ones who will certainly buy the game and have probably already preordered.

The only people CA need to market to are the casual fans, people on the fence, and potential new players. If you want to get them interested, it might be much better to have a media blitz in the 2 months before release rather than a protracted dribble campaign. I don’t know, but that seems plausible, and less expensive.

You need to satisfy the hardcore fans because they sell copies through word of mouth to the casuals. Their hype directly drives sales, and certainly not just their own.
    81jt2dj75iky.png

• WarlockeWarlocke Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,590

Warlocke said:

You need to satisfy the hardcore fans because they sell copies through word of mouth to the casuals. Their hype directly drives sales, and certainly not just their own.
    And why does that need to happen now and not closer to release? Do we have any reason to expect a large media blitz closer to release and nothing right now will hurt CA’s bottom line?
    ò_ó