Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Bracing

drogarito#2548drogarito#2548 Registered Users Posts: 1,820
How long does it take for unit to get the bracing buff? If a cavalry is charging head on to my melee unit and i suddenly press stop, will the unit before charged have bracing buff?
Tagged:

Comments

• Killertut#9655Killertut#9655 Registered Users Posts: 1,126
    you can see if a unit is braced, it will display a unique animation (eg. raising shields and spears and creating a spear wall light)
  • FrostPaw#5051FrostPaw#5051 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,229
    If you have moved in the last 3-4 seconds, I would assume you are not braced. At the end of the day, cavalry should be able to flank and charge you before you reposition. So start countering with cavalry or focusing missile fire on enemy cav.
  • CA_DuckCA_Duck Registered Users, CA Staff Posts: 1,679

How long does it take for unit to get the bracing buff? If a cavalry is charging head on to my melee unit and i suddenly press stop, will the unit before charged have bracing buff?

It's determined on an entity state level, so if the entity had the time to stop, they'll be braced.
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • drogarito#2548drogarito#2548 Registered Users Posts: 1,820
    Thanks for info!
  • Processing#6286Processing#6286 Czech Republic Registered Users Posts: 838
    CA_Duck said:

It's determined on an entity state level, so if the entity had the time to stop, they'll be braced.
    Wait, so if I issue a "stop" order but some models in a unit still move to catch up, do the rest of the models who stand still get a bracing buff?

CA_Duck said:

Wait, so if I issue a "stop" order but some models in a unit still move to catch up, do the rest of the models who stand still get a bracing buff?
    Yes, that is correct.
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • Processing#6286Processing#6286 Czech Republic Registered Users Posts: 838
    CA_Duck said:

CA_Duck said:

Yes, that is correct.
    Thank you!
  • Ninaran#8122Ninaran#8122 Registered Users Posts: 554
    CA_Duck said:

Any chance for there to be a visual indicator for that in the future? Something when most of the unit is braced?
    edited September 2021
    Ninaran said:

CA_Duck said:

Any chance for there to be a visual indicator for that in the future? Something when most of the unit is braced?
    If you check the WH3 survival battle gameplay, you should notice a small shield icon over the unit cards when the units are standing still (and hence braced). That is the bracing indicator:

• mecanojavi99#6562mecanojavi99#6562 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 11,536
    CA_Duck said:

Ninaran said:

CA_Duck said:

If you check the WH3 survival battle gameplay, you should notice a small shield icon over the unit cards when the units are standing still (and hence braced). That is the bracing indicator:

Okay, this actually sounds pretty useful.
    "By the fires of Hashut, let them burn in the flames of eternal torment!"
    - Anonymous
  • more-morewarpstonemore-morewarpstone Registered Users Posts: 313
    The Ogre ability where they would only lose half as much charge bonus against bracing enemies makes so much more sense now, instead of a cool gimmick just to set them apart from other races.

They might have planned to integrate this into Warhammer 2 with the ogre mercenaries to gain a sense of balance and the actual usefulness of the ability. Definitely means the Mournfang cavalry will be possibly capable of plowing over braced low-tier infantry in comparison to other cavalry units.
  • drogarito#2548drogarito#2548 Registered Users Posts: 1,820
    Is bracing lesser effective when the unit is attacked from the back or rear?

Is bracing lesser effective when the unit is attacked from the back or rear?

Bracing is only applied when the entity contact is frontal. So yes, flank and rear charges bypass bracing bonuses.
  • VikingHuscal1066#5774VikingHuscal1066#5774 Registered Users Posts: 4,453
    I honestly want CA to bring back unit formations for mainly the units of the human nations of Warhammer.

I mean, that's supposed to be how stuff like Empire State Troops are able to go toe to toe with things like Orc hordes and such.
  • davedave1124#4773davedave1124#4773 Senior Member St Helens UKRegistered Users Posts: 22,120

I honestly want CA to bring back unit formations for mainly the units of the human nations of Warhammer.

I mean, that's supposed to be how stuff like Empire State Troops are able to go toe to toe with things like Orc hordes and such.

I’m sure there’s a good reason why they didn’t. Possibly the need for quick movements due to magic and AoE abilities. Play testing may have found a serious weakness in it.
  • VikingHuscal1066#5774VikingHuscal1066#5774 Registered Users Posts: 4,453

I’m sure there’s a good reason why they didn’t. Possibly the need for quick movements due to magic and AoE abilities. Play testing may have found a serious weakness in it.

I can understand some of those, but I still think that it would've helped the human infantry to not suck as much as they do.

I mean, I've seen the Empire State Troop units just get destroyed by units like Orc Boyz and such, which just makes me sad, since they're supposed to be able to hold the line better then they can.
  • Jam#4399Jam#4399 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,070
    edited September 2021
    Just want to clarify.

Is infantry bracing better than to counter charge cavalry?

People shall always brace when getting charged, right?

*talking from MP perspective
  • Spellbound1875#4610Spellbound1875#4610 Registered Users Posts: 2,048
    jamreal18 said:

Just want to clarify.

Is infantry bracing better than to counter charge cavalry?

People shall always brace when getting charged, right?

*talking from MP perspective

In the beta? Still no, but that's not unexpected from a first adjustment. Bracing is improved but charging for infantry is over-performing even after the changes on the beta. Even if bracing fully reduced impact damage to 0 charging would be superior as it currently stands. I think this means we need to consider nerfing infantry on the charge, but that debate is still going.
  • Jam#4399Jam#4399 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,070
    edited September 2021
    Infantry charging against charging cavalry shall be ineffective instead of bracing.

It is more like commiting suicide for infantry. Imagine colliding with a charging horse. You will be tossed hard.
    CA_Duck said:

CA_Duck said:

Yes, that is correct.
    Do you mean if units suddenly stop, they would automatically get brace bonus? What if they are charging then you suddenly stop them?

Which is better for infantry against infantry? To counter charge or to brace?