Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The Dawn of Grand Cathay + FAQ

Comments

• TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,701

I was expecting some horrible panda warriors and over the top high fantasy AoS style ****.

I am presently surprised, this stuff looks good and looks like it fits the setting.

My only gripe is the giant states, thi I they should have a more stiff movement, because right now they just look and move like sized up humans.

i would've prefered the Terracotta warriors to be man sized tar pit units with excellent defensive stats and high health, but mediocre attack.

brago90 said:

I think you have put too many steroids into the dragon emperor, you have directly said that he is at the level of a chaos god and that he has his own dimension ...

I understand that you want to milk the Chinese but you have overpowered the dragon emperor.

that is why he is not appearing as a LL.
    a terrible explanation, considering we have Mazdamundi, Kroak the floating Nuke that'd discording the space-time continuum with Deliverance, ARCHAON THE EVERCHOSEN and might get Nagash... each of those should, by all accounts, when at full power, be their equal or top them... otherwise, fi they were sooo powerful... why did the world fall? Were they too busy sitting on cozy cushions to save it?
    The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • HeresyHoundHeresyHound Registered Users Posts: 8,152

Lol just read the FAQ.

The trailer didnt impress me at all. But the FAQ sure did. It was impressive how trash the lore was.

Disgrace on par with the endtimes.

Oh wow the people who have hated Cathay since February still hate Catahay. Shocker.
  • LordSolarMachLordSolarMach Registered Users Posts: 2,024
    Red_Dox said:

• Kairos Fateweaver
    • Blue Horrors
    • Pink Horrors
    • Screamers
    • Knights/Sorceror regiment on flying disc
    • Some Forsaken of Tzeentch
    So far, everything as expected on the blue side.

------Red Dox
    I also spot Furies of Tzeentch and at ~1:45 (the wide shot) there's something huge. It doesn't look like a Mutalith Vortex Beast though, so maybe a giant Chaos Spawn of Tzeentch?

(I did a little fist pump when I saw the Knights on Discs.)
  • AbmongAbmong Registered Users Posts: 3,606
    Looks like they went full Xianxia then. Lol

Can't say it's anything close to how I pictured Cathay.
    Something tells me this comment will get a Disagree
  • talonntalonn Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,396

Glad they went for it with Cathay, a lot of what was expected is here.

A family of dragons, huge artillery, numerous infantry, highly defensive, automatons etc.

and I dont see any cavalries (not counting the flying ones) which indicates Cathay's weaknesses
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 14,870

I was expecting some horrible panda warriors and over the top high fantasy AoS style ****.

Really? Have you missed the fact they have flying cities over there? And then they propose the Dragon Emperor would be equivalent to putting Khorne or Nurgle in the game....

Imma just subscribe that to GW/CA just going overboard with it and that they mean those two are on par with mortal gods and not Chaos gods. In which case it makes some sense as Dragon Emperor is more of a mythical figure and wouldn't make sense.
    Furthermore, I consider that Daemon Prince must be removed.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,045
    The trailer is so good!

Two thumbs up!!!

brago90 said:

I think you have put too many steroids into the dragon emperor, you have directly said that he is at the level of a chaos god and that he has his own dimension ...

I understand that you want to milk the Chinese but you have overpowered the dragon emperor.

And he does not have a dimension, just a palace where he stays with the queen.

It is not like we knew much about him.
    We know that there have been multiple dragon emperors, and that they were direct rulers. And that at least one was literally driven off the field of battle at least once on record.
  • AdmTDAdmTD Registered Users Posts: 73
    I am very emotional!!!! What a magnificent thing!!!

When the sentries come to life I shiver, when the dragon appears I start to cry!!!!

Congratulations CA, what a fantastic job!!!!
  • KN_GarsKN_Gars Registered Users Posts: 2,412
    As expected Cathay seems to be the Gary & Mary Stu race of WH3, at least they will be a change from the rats. Overall both they and the hordes of Tzeentch left me feeling "meh" and indifferent. Probably the Warhammer burnout talking but neither did anything to reignite my interest at the first glance.
    And also people gotta not confuse world building, you know, bring the world to life by referencing stuffs that isn't on the map, or is an event, to some kind of announcement, you know? That is certainly not the case.
    -Andy Hall, Principal Writer and Narrative Designer for Warhammer 3.
    edited September 2021
    Also, Shang-Yang, once thought to be a future Dogs of War start location or at least an NPC faction, is now the starting position of one of the Cathay LLs.

The noose is tightening on the Dogs of War.
    Crossil said:

brago90 said:

We know that there have been multiple dragon emperors, and that they were direct rulers. And that at least one was literally driven off the field of battle at least once on record.
    And none of that is canon anymore.

Why is anyone surprised about this after Kislev?
  • Ares354Ares354 Registered Users Posts: 4,292
    Crossil said:

Really? Have you missed the fact they have flying cities over there? And then they propose the Dragon Emperor would be equivalent to putting Khorne or Nurgle in the game....

Imma just subscribe that to GW/CA just going overboard with it and that they mean those two are on par with mortal gods and not Chaos gods. In which case it makes some sense as Dragon Emperor is more of a mythical figure and wouldn't make sense.
    That pure BS, new lore wiritten fopr game, having nothing to do with what was a ture lore. Yea, he was like nurgle and korn, and hes kindom was killed by Rats. True god
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,084
    Talmorean said:

Imirk: I am a master of dragons, I ride a beautiful one.

Princess Miao Ying: Hold my Wushu Pork

Hm. I like where this is going.

brago90 said:

We were told about about the special Chaos Realm battles, but I wonder if there will be special battles in Cathay and Kislev as well. Assaulting the Dragon Emperor's Palace and... Ursun's Teeth, maybe?
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,342

Glad they went for it with Cathay, a lot of what was expected is here.

A family of dragons, huge artillery, numerous infantry, highly defensive, automatons etc.

It wasn't exactly what I expect, but most of what I expected and a little not.

Quite happy with the reveal so far. And looks like Tzeentch is going to be the flying powerhouse of the trilogy.
    MarcusLivius: You are indeed a lord of entitlement.
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,342
    MODIDDLY1 said:

Only real concern I have right out of the gate, is that is appear to be a little too broad in it's focus. Strong ranged, flying cav, big single entities, flying war machines, hellstorm like artillery, Shielded anti-large halberd troops.

We will see, but currently, feels like they might have an answer to everything

The trailer didn't show a single cavalry unit. That will evidently be their weakness.
    MarcusLivius: You are indeed a lord of entitlement.
  • RamsesIIIRamsesIII Registered Users Posts: 1,136
    They took some directions I wasn't expecting, but overall, I think Cathay looks sick. Extremely distinct and full of personality, but without forgetting the more grounded (albeit still rather elegant) soldiers. I was expecting the Dragon Emperor to be a LL but I see why they chose to do this instead, with that clarified (because admittedly from the trailer I thought for a second that they were retconning him to be a woman) I'm quite pleased with what they've shown so far of Cathay.

...And Tzeentch. I desperately need some well-taken pictures of the trailer or whatever else because his forces looked absolutely AMAZING. I'm so hyped. The lighting of the trailer was also phenomenal (I don't recall any prior in-engine trailer looking so good in that regard) and it fit wonderfully with the colours of the Changer of Ways.
  • vonfoxfirevonfoxfire Registered Users Posts: 828
    So Cathay has earth benders...interesting. I guess the Monkey King will be an air bender. :p

MODIDDLY1 said:

Only real concern I have right out of the gate, is that is appear to be a little too broad in it's focus. Strong ranged, flying cav, big single entities, flying war machines, hellstorm like artillery, Shielded anti-large halberd troops.

The trailer didn't show a single cavalry unit. That will evidently be their weakness.
    The picture has some.
  • summertimelovinsummertimelovin Registered Users Posts: 519
    Tzeentch's many glories! That was an awesome trailer. Didn't think I'd be this excited for Cathay.

Crossil said:

brago90 said:

I know. In fact, that's what I said would be the case.

It's just that I'm not gonna have people claim how it's fine from the lore perspective to go in this direction. You have to admit it's a retcon first.
    Crossil said:

Crossil said:

brago90 said:

I know. In fact, that's what I said would be the case.

It's just that I'm not gonna have people claim how it's fine from the lore perspective to go in this direction. You have to admit it's a retcon first.
    GW retconned major parts of the lore all the time.
  • JastalllJastalll Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,708
    MODIDDLY1 said:

The roster does feel a lot broader than Kislev or Khorne. Cathay does lack strong mobility which is a clear drawback, but unlike say Dwarfs they still have at least a couple horses per the FAQ, plus a big single entity centerpiece and powerful wizards. Compare that with Kislev which has no fliers whatsoever and relies on hybrid units and likely fragile mobility, or Khorne who has no sorcerers, ranged units or even basic chaff and relies entirely on heavy metal close combat elites.

I do think they won't get dragons as units unlike HEs, those will be limited to Lords/LL transformations (at least I hope so, it makes them more unique), so their air game won't be that great, I don't see hot air balloons standing up to Furies and Bloodthirsters, or trading blows with Ice Guard.
  • OtjenynOtjenyn Registered Users Posts: 282
    I know some part of the lore but about Cathay close to zero. So anyone enlighten me what part of the lore is now not really accurate anymore?
  • General_HijaltiGeneral_Hijalti Registered Users Posts: 4,916
    brago90 said:

They said gods. Not chaos gods there is a big difference.

They couldn't stop the Chaos invasion that pushed cathay back to its last few cities or the greenskin invasion that finished them off. They are nowhere near Chaos god level.
  • General_HijaltiGeneral_Hijalti Registered Users Posts: 4,916
    Talmorean said:

Imirk: I am a master of dragons, I ride a beautiful one.

Princess Miao Ying: Hold my Wushu Pork

Imrik is master of dragon, lorewise dragons refuse to attack him
  • ujopujop Registered Users Posts: 144
  • PraiseSigmawPraiseSigmaw Forlì, ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 3,047

Lol just read the FAQ.

The trailer didnt impress me at all. But the FAQ sure did. It was impressive how trash the lore was.

Disgrace on par with the endtimes.

LMAO! R U serious?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.