Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The Dawn of Grand Cathay + FAQ

Comments

• OldblackeyesOldblackeyes Registered Users Posts: 182
    edited September 2021
    Well, everything looks nearly perfect to me, I've been looking forward to a Warhammer Cathay since I was a kid, and It looks like they've nailed it. I wasn't that keen on the Kislev stuff so my expectations was limited. I think I especially love the landscapes. Back on the hype train!
  • SaintCornSaintCorn Registered Users Posts: 2,585
    Crossil said:

Also, Shang-Yang, once thought to be a future Dogs of War start location or at least an NPC faction, is now the starting position of one of the Cathay LLs.

The noose is tightening on the Dogs of War.

Not to mention that Cathay is confirmed for Warhammer: The Old World now.

So, that means that the east is much more likely to get fleshed out along with more Hobgoblin references.

• Overlord87Overlord87 Registered Users Posts: 968
    The trailer got me really hyped. Good job CA!

It already seems an interesting roster, curious to see how DLC are going to expand it.
  • ObsidiusObsidius Registered Users Posts: 118
    Nice work CA! And hey it looks like three of the four main Tzeentch daemons are in! (I couldn't see Flamers despite someone pointing that out, hope that's true) I do have to ask if those are supposed to be Forsaken and if so will we be getting standard (marked) chaos warriors? I am hoping that Cathay will also be deploying more creatures, got a gut feeling tiger or monkey based beastmen will be playable.

Oh and I found a pic that sums up Kislev and Cathay.

• LunaticprinceLunaticprince Registered Users Posts: 5,522
    edited September 2021

Red_Dox said:

• Kairos Fateweaver
    • Blue Horrors
    • Pink Horrors
    • Screamers
    • Knights/Sorceror regiment on flying disc
    • Some Forsaken of Tzeentch
    So far, everything as expected on the blue side.

------Red Dox
    I also spot Furies of Tzeentch and at ~1:45 (the wide shot) there's something huge. It doesn't look like a Mutalith Vortex Beast though, so maybe a giant Chaos Spawn of Tzeentch?

(I did a little fist pump when I saw the Knights on Discs.)
    The discs soldiers really maked me laugh!

• CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 14,870
    edited September 2021
    Otjenyn said:

I know some part of the lore but about Cathay close to zero. So anyone enlighten me what part of the lore is now not really accurate anymore?

Well first of all, that there have been multiple Dragon Emperors. And by proxy, a large number of interactions that those Dragon Emperors had and their own lore. And, of course, the Dragon Emperor being that strong and living in a Celestial City.

Second of all, now GW/CA is pulling this bit about Yin and Yang which, from what I gather, was not something that Cathay was capable of. Those terms were apparently different terms for High and Dark magic, but not something Cathay was able to wield, iirc. Now they're separate lores of magic, apparently.

Probably some other things but, we're gonna have to see how things flesh out.
    Furthermore, I consider that Daemon Prince must be removed.
  • General_HijaltiGeneral_Hijalti Registered Users Posts: 4,916

Crossil said:

brago90 said:

I think you have put too many steroids into the dragon emperor, you have directly said that he is at the level of a chaos god and that he has his own dimension ...

I understand that you want to milk the Chinese but you have overpowered the dragon emperor.

that is why he is not appearing as a LL.

And he does not have a dimension, just a palace where he stays with the queen.

It is not like we knew much about him.
    We know that there have been multiple dragon emperors, and that they were direct rulers. And that at least one was literally driven off the field of battle at least once on record.
    And none of that is canon anymore.

Why is anyone surprised about this after Kislev?
    Except it is canon
  • PraiseSigmawPraiseSigmaw Forlì, ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 3,047
    Crossil said:

Also, Shang-Yang, once thought to be a future Dogs of War start location or at least an NPC faction, is now the starting position of one of the Cathay LLs.

And that's sad.
  • MaelasMaelas Registered Users Posts: 5,180
    On a more positive note, Cathay is AMAZING

Seriously, between the trailer, the GW article and the GW video, everything I've seen is just mouth-watering ! They even have dragon-shaped guns !
  • BiesBies Junior Member SwedenRegistered Users Posts: 5,025
    Red_Dox said:

• Kairos Fateweaver
    • Blue Horrors
    • Pink Horrors
    • Screamers
    • Knights/Sorceror regiment on flying disc
    • Some Forsaken of Tzeentch
    So far, everything as expected on the blue side.

------Red Dox
    plus chaos spawn

"I shivered at the sight of her - her beauty far beyond that of mortal man. But her soul glowed with an inner darkness that chilled my very core."

• EmeraldThanatosEmeraldThanatos Registered Users Posts: 2,906

Crossil said:

brago90 said:

I think you have put too many steroids into the dragon emperor, you have directly said that he is at the level of a chaos god and that he has his own dimension ...

I understand that you want to milk the Chinese but you have overpowered the dragon emperor.

that is why he is not appearing as a LL.

And he does not have a dimension, just a palace where he stays with the queen.

It is not like we knew much about him.
    We know that there have been multiple dragon emperors, and that they were direct rulers. And that at least one was literally driven off the field of battle at least once on record.
    And none of that is canon anymore.

Why is anyone surprised about this after Kislev?
    Except it is canon

GW: I am the senate lore.

Ranking of all Total War games I've played:
    1. Three kingdoms
    2. Attila
    3. Warhammer (1, 2 & 3)
    4. Medieval 2
    5. Shogun 2
    6. Thrones
    7. Rome 2
    8. Napoleon
    9. Empire

SaintCorn said:

Crossil said:

Is it? According to what? Did I miss something?
  • SaintCornSaintCorn Registered Users Posts: 2,585
    Crossil said:

SaintCorn said:

Crossil said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/09/14/watch-grand-cathay-come-to-life-in-an-epic-collaboration-for-total-war-warhammer-iii/?utm_source=Total+War+Newsletter+GDPR+Consent&utm_campaign=edcbd4df87-WH3_grandcathay_reveal&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_94e55c10f9-edcbd4df87-72088649

The Warhammer Community Website.

Warhammer: The Old World watermark on every Cathay image.

• Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,340
    Why are people salting over Cathay getting their own gods? This was obviously going to happen when they announced them.
    MarcusLivius: You are indeed a lord of entitlement.
  • FerestorFerestor Registered Users Posts: 1,313
    THAT IS AWESOME!!!!
    edited September 2021

Why are people salting over Cathay getting their own gods? This was obviously going to happen when they announced them.

Yeah, and to be honest, a part of me expected the Dragons to fill that role.

It's just that.... it feels strange to suddenly have the Dragon Emperor fill that role.

And I think the comparison with Chaos Gods is largely misplaced or misrepresentative and just bad writing rather than an accurate statement.
  • SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 8,086
    I just realized that in the trailer she's talking about the Old Ones.
    SerPus said:

I just realized that in the trailer she's talking about the Old Ones.

Huh.... yeah, you're right.
  • BlaeysBlaeys Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,299
    edited September 2021
    This looks amazing.
    edited September 2021
    Oh, I guess one thing that came true is my suggestion that Dragon Emperor wouldn't be playable.... well it was more like a comparison to not having Boris playable on release, but hell.

Now I'm wondering if they intend to ever add anyone to Wei-Jin.
  • ToxicFlamesToxicFlames Registered Users Posts: 610
    Just as Planned!

• PraiseSigmawPraiseSigmaw Forlì, ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 3,047
    Crossil said:

It's just that.... it feels strange to suddenly have the Dragon Emperor fill that role.

And I think the comparison with Chaos Gods is largely misplaced or misrepresentative and just bad writing rather than an accurate statement.
    Remember when Warhammer used to be pretty much ''Dungeons & Dragons meets 1980's British satire?'' (Or LOTR meets Monty Python)

• ravezaarravezaar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 272
    Love the look of Tzeentch, Chaos Warriors on Discs now damn
    SaintCorn said:

Crossil said:

SaintCorn said:

Crossil said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/09/14/watch-grand-cathay-come-to-life-in-an-epic-collaboration-for-total-war-warhammer-iii/?utm_source=Total+War+Newsletter+GDPR+Consent&utm_campaign=edcbd4df87-WH3_grandcathay_reveal&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_94e55c10f9-edcbd4df87-72088649

The Warhammer Community Website.

Warhammer: The Old World watermark on every Cathay image.
    To be fair, it's just a copyright, so who knows. They couldn't really copyright them as AoS, nor as 8th edition Fantasy
  • dvernichondvernichon Registered Users Posts: 158
    Good. Cathay will be a worthy foe for my demons.
  • sykallsykall Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,729
    Did I see that right in the trailer? The hero using martial arts to create fissures in the ground? Earthbenders confirmed!
    Filling the white spots - 7 made-up factions to enrich the empty parts of the WFB setting
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/288418/filling-the-white-spots-7-made-up-factions-to-fill-out-the-wfb-setting
    Bies said:

first I thought she was Slaanesh follower, looked like dark elf :D

That does explains why I instantly loved the design
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 9,437
    Crossil said:

Comparison to Chaos or 'most gods'.
    Glory matters not.

• EdhwenEdhwen Registered Users Posts: 413
    Finally the Grand Cathay!!! :Q_
  • mightygloinmightygloin Karaz-a-KarakRegistered Users Posts: 5,618
    edited September 2021
    The FAQ sounds like their army book in a way; incredibly powerful this, extremely strong lords that..