Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The Dawn of Grand Cathay + FAQ

Comments

• GrbaGrba Registered Users Posts: 368
    edited September 2021
    Love the Cathay units,especially those soldiers with neck armour and those large dragon head cannons.Only thing that I didn't like that much is the new LL,so far the weakest one that is introduced in game 3.
  • VonhellstingVonhellsting Registered Users Posts: 825
    edited September 2021
    So um when are we going to get that info about the preorder race? 🤔
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 7,441
    CA_Andy said:

Hey,

Just clarify a discussion point in here from the FAQ.

I'm certainly NOT suggesting the Celestial Dragon Emperor is on a power level equal to the Chaos Gods. But he and his wife are extremely powerful and comparable to most regional gods of the world, such as Ulric or Myrmidia for example.

Thanks for clearing that up for the folks with reading comprehension issues. :wink:
    Campaign Management is for suckers.

• MaelasMaelas Registered Users Posts: 5,180
    CA_Andy said:

Hey,

Just clarify a discussion point in here from the FAQ.

I'm certainly NOT suggesting the Celestial Dragon Emperor is on a power level equal to the Chaos Gods. But he and his wife are extremely powerful and comparable to most regional gods of the world, such as Ulric or Myrmidia for example.

Toddbringer crying in a corner as he hear this Ulric slander
  • XxXScorpionXxXXxXScorpionXxX Registered Users Posts: 4,294
    ravezaar said:

Love the look of Tzeentch, Chaos Warriors on Discs now damn

they're literally models ripped right off chaos knights. They look awful and I hope they're place holders.
    Request scorched body textures, poisoned dying animations for infantry's skeletons, a blood slider that allows us to control how much blood appears in battle and make proper death animations for all ethereal units so they vanish for Blood for the Blood God 3.
  • united84united84 Registered Users Posts: 1,087
    Damn, now I want the game in late 2021. Anyways, great trailer. Hopefully game will be out around January - Feb 'ish of 2022.
  • kevManiackevManiac Registered Users Posts: 931
    Tuesday Newsday never disappoints!
    Races I'd like to have in Warhammer: Chaos Dwarfs, Southern Realms, Nippon, Ogres. In that order :P

#JusticeForTzeentch.
  • HedonistHoundHedonistHound Registered Users Posts: 7,687

So um when are we going to get that info about the preorder race? 🤔

Give it a couple weeks. They are probably going to be on Cathay till October
  • Domokun84Domokun84 Registered Users Posts: 222
    Shes not a dude she's a DODE.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 17,411
    The Emperor and his sons and daughters who rule the kingdom. Anyone who expected few Cathayan DLCs must now surely see the error of their ways. We won’t see game 1 or 2 races for a while as expected.
    ravezaar said:

Love the look of Tzeentch, Chaos Warriors on Discs now damn

Love the way the boards are animated
  • PLHenryPLHenry Registered Users Posts: 1,589
    edited September 2021
    CA_Andy said:

Hey,

Just to clarify a discussion point in here from the FAQ.

That part of the lore is the worst part of the reveal. Everything else looked pretty good, but we haven't had any gods take part in Warhammer beyond their avatars, daemons or mortal servants. Really disappointing lore to have, and just screams Age of Sigmar nonsense.
  • EmeraldThanatosEmeraldThanatos Registered Users Posts: 2,875
    PLHenry said:

CA_Andy said:

Hey,

Age of Sigmar nonsense.
    What does this phrase even mean?

Oh right, this is fantasy, so everything I don't like is AOS and AOS is everything I don't like.
    Ranking of all Total War games I've played:
    1. Three kingdoms
    2. Shogun 2
    3. Warhammer
    4. Medieval 2
    5. Thrones
    6. Attila
    7. Rome 2
    8. Napoleon
    9. Empire
    10. Troy (haven't actually played it, I'm just still salty)

PLHenry said:

CA_Andy said:

Hey,

That part of the lore is the worst part of the reveal. Everything else looked pretty good, but we haven't had any gods take part in Warhammer beyond their avatars, daemons or mortal servants. Really disappointing lore to have, and just screams Age of Sigmar nonsense.
    It merely explains why Cathay were usually able to see off Chais invasions on their lonesome. Nothing to see here.
  • PLHenryPLHenry Registered Users Posts: 1,589

What does this phrase even mean?

Oh right, this is fantasy, so everything I don't like is AOS and AOS is everything I don't like.

Basically what it means is that it is far too high fantasy and uses magic as a solution for everything, and even has literal gods in the world. Warhammer never really did that. Its human factions especially were relatively grounded with some bizarre elements thrown in, but even the use of magic has its limitations and issues. We now have a literal god in the world that conjures up a magical Great Bastion to protect the land. It's far too much power, far too much magic, and its nonsense when compared to the rest of the setting.
  • makar55makar55 Registered Users Posts: 2,955
    Only 50k views in 2 hours?

Seems to be a bit disappointing numbers for so called the most anticipated TWW3 race.
  • YurisusukiYurisusuki Somewhere in LustriaRegistered Users Posts: 678
    united84 said:

Damn, now I want the game in late 2021. Anyways, great trailer. Hopefully game will be out around January - Feb 'ish of 2022.

Yeah right? I was 100% ok with the delay, but now I'm sad because of it, that trailer really hypes me
    Delenda Est

• Reaper49Reaper49 Registered Users Posts: 755
    You guys have some of the greatest artists in this planet. Jesus crist the asthetics of every single trailer you make is incredible. This time thought i dropped down of my chair. Clapping for you guys.
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,108
    Crossil said:

Why are people salting over Cathay getting their own gods? This was obviously going to happen when they announced them.

Yeah, and to be honest, a part of me expected the Dragons to fill that role.

It's just that.... it feels strange to suddenly have the Dragon Emperor fill that role.

And I think the comparison with Chaos Gods is largely misplaced or misrepresentative and just bad writing rather than an accurate statement.
    In IRL "mythology" if you will, the closest thing to an overarching "god" who leads everyone else is the Jade Emperor. He is the one that Sun Wukong screws with at the beginning of Journey to the West if you are unfamilliar with him otherwise.

Basically what CA/GW has done is uplift the Dragon Emperor from just the leader of Cathay to the role of Jade Emperor who rules over heaven and all that stuff.
  • korradokortokorradokorto Registered Users Posts: 457
    Not enough demons.
  • NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 5,585
    Neat, fun to see!

Fighting a new chaos faction like it was always going to be, suggestions otherwise were pretty eye roll worthy. Kinda thought it might be Tzeench but wasn't 100% on it.

Retconning of Cathay, yeah they did that. I 100% don't care. Cathay was a negligible field note buried in a vast host of books that nobody would remotely know unless they read something curated by someone who could assemble it. Cathay was always going to come out looking a lil bit different in my opinion. And this gives it a lil more than a near textbook fantasy china.

Also, GW has retconned the world so many many many many times. The entire basis of the game has been rewritten, factions split up and given unique lore, leaders deposed or ignored, race actions boosted or dulled, whole events just completely thrown out. So, once more a minor footnote in the GW world getting a retcon with their actual debut into something meaty? Practically expected. Getting miffed over that is effectively pointless and nitpicky.

• PraiseSigmawPraiseSigmaw Forlì, ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 2,937
    makar55 said:

Only 50k views in 2 hours?

Seems to be a bit disappointing numbers for so called the most anticipated TWW3 race.

Warhammer fantasy fanbase will never be nearly as big as 40k's fanbase. Sad but true.
    No, i also dislike Garth Ennis. He is very juvenile and raunchy, and some of his statements are utterly ridiculous, like Captain America being offensive to WWII veterans when his co-creator, Jack Kirby, served in the war and soldiers liked his stories.

If you think using your abilities to help and inspire people is childish, then i feel sorry for you.
  • DulahanDulahan Registered Users Posts: 265
    Lot of us at work and cant watch!
  • KnightspaceKnightspace Registered Users Posts: 1
    Are those... benders? As in elemental benders?

Is that a creation of CA or GW?
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 7,441

Are those... benders? As in elemental benders?

Is that a creation of CA or GW?

Campaign Management is for suckers.

• Lord_ZarkovLord_Zarkov Registered Users Posts: 815
    Crossil said:

Otjenyn said:

I know some part of the lore but about Cathay close to zero. So anyone enlighten me what part of the lore is now not really accurate anymore?

Well first of all, that there have been multiple Dragon Emperors. And by proxy, a large number of interactions that those Dragon Emperors had and their own lore. And, of course, the Dragon Emperor being that strong and living in a Celestial City.

Second of all, now GW/CA is pulling this bit about Yin and Yang which, from what I gather, was not something that Cathay was capable of. Those terms were apparently different terms for High and Dark magic, but not something Cathay was able to wield, iirc. Now they're separate lores of magic, apparently.

Probably some other things but, we're gonna have to see how things flesh out.
    Yeah you’re right it’s a total retcon.

I’m assuming the new canon is probably that the various named ‘Dragon Emperors’ in all the past lore blurbs were actually children of the true emperor who seem to be various regional rulers, but misinterpreted in universe as more of the lore is told from an Empire-centric PoV.

Will be interesting to see if the Monkey King still appears in a Lord pack or if we’ll just get ‘generic dragon regional ruler no 3’ etc.

On the Ying and Yang, the bit on the GW website mentions high magic but also says their main spellcasters are astromancers and alchemists.

Might be the dragon children are using high and dark magic but the humans are using lores of heavens and metal?
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 15,916
    Talmorean said:

Imirk: I am a master of dragons, I ride a beautiful one.

Princess Miao Ying: Hold my Wushu Pork

nah mate Imrik just found his wife, no more elves bring on the dragons
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc
  • EquixEquix Registered Users Posts: 1,395
    Wonderful trailer, now Cathay is one of my favorite races. Cathay is exactly what I wanted to be, ruled by dragons shapeshifters, the only thing I didn't see coming was Dragon Emperor turned into God and not be playable as LL.

new Undead Legion Nagash, The Nameless, Dieter Helsnicht and Undead Hag or Dragon Empress LL (kislev or cathay mortach).

MONOBLOODLINES:
    /Necrachs:Zacharias, Melkhior, Radu the forsaken
    /Strigoi:Ushoran, Vorag, The Black Prince, Rametep
    /Blood Dragon:Red Duke, Walach Harkon, Abhorash
    /Lahmia:zNeferata, Nitocris, Ulrika, Naaima

Tomb Kings:
    Apophas
    (Craddles of Serpents (new race)) Ind+Amazons+Kuresh Together
    /Fishmen and Sea ElvesFishmen with a few Sea Elves.
    Ogre Kingdoms with gut magic and a Gnobblar LL
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 15,916

Talmorean said:

Imirk: I am a master of dragons, I ride a beautiful one.

Princess Miao Ying: Hold my Wushu Pork

Imrik is master of dragon, lorewise dragons refuse to attack him
    i am surprised imrik isn't going out of his way to make one his wife
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc