Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

What should be reworked next?

RafSwi7RafSwi7 Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 2,278
As we know Mythos has addressed one of the major issue the people had with the game - so-called "middle ground" that might not have satisfied some group of players.

What in your opinion should be tackled next by the Sofia team?

For me some of these would be the most wanted "reworks":
  • Battle animations rework. By this I mean adding some new kill animations for ordinary units and replacing some (not so great) animations from Warhammer series. I think that we can agree that battle animations are considered to be quite major issue by some groups of players. Focusing on them would definitely improve the reception of the game. The problem is that animation work is most likely expensive and in the past we have not seen too many additions to this part of the game, so chances of such "rework" might not be high. Personally I do wonder if using some animations from Rome2/Attila is even possible as some of them would work nicely in Troy
  • Motivation rework. From all current mechanics I have found motivation system the be the least engaging. Basically at the moment each non-leader hero has a trait that makes him/her like/dislike certain things. In my opinion we should have something more dynamic. IMHO we should have court system for each hero and new dilemmas and events related to them (for example from time to time we should distribute battle loot among our heroes to keep them happy). In case of such rework Agamemnon should receive some bigger and better court as his unique mechanic. This rework would be a major one. I think the change would be popular with players. It would also make historical mode a little more engaging on the campaign map.
  • Gods rework. In general I am a supporter of the idea that gods in Troy should be more... well, fickle. This means adding negative tier to Divine Will mechanic, adding "Gods conflict system" where gods fight against each other and a possibilty of them ignoring your prayers (especially if they don't like you). This would make the current system much more dynamic and more faithful to source material. Like the rework above this one would be also a major rework.
  • Helen rework. Basically making capturing Helen a bigger deal in the campaign. This means adding new events related to her and her possible fate (like returning her to Menelaus or Paris). I think that we can agree that this would be a minor rework and should be doable. We have seen something similar with Emperor rework in 3K.

Completed ROMEII, ATTILA, THRONES OF BRITANNIA, WARHAMMER, THREE KINGDOMS, TROY and ROME REMASTERED campaigns:
ROMEII
GC: Ardiaei, Arevaci, Athens, Baktria, Carthage, Cimmeria, Egypt, Epirus, Iceni, Kush, Lusitani, Macedon, Masaesyli, Massagetae, Massalia, Nabatea, Nervii, Odrysian Kingdom, Parthia, Pergamon, Rome, Royal Scythia, Saba, Seleucid, Sparta, Suebi, Syracuse.
CiG: Arverni, Rome, Suebi.
HatG: Arevaci, Carthage, Rome, Syracuse.
IA: Antony's Rome, Dacia, Egypt, Marcomanni, Octavian's Rome, Parthia, Pompey's Rome.
WoS: Athenai, Boiotian League, Korinthos, Sparta.
ED: Armenia, Caledonii, Gallic Rome, Marcomanni, Palmyra, Rome, Saxoni, The Sassanids.
RotR: Rome, Samnites, Senones, Syracuse, Taras, Tarchuna.
ATTILA
GC: Alans, Anteans, Eastern Roman Empire, Franks, Geats, Himyar, Jutes, Ostrogoths, Saxons, Venedians.
TLR: Roman Expedition, Visigothic Kingdom.
AoC: Kingdom of Asturias, Kingdom of Charlemagne, Kingdom of the Danes, Kingdom of Mercia.
THRONES OF BRITANNIA
Dublin, Gwined, Northumbria, Mercia, Sudreyar, West Seaxe.
WARHAMMER 1 & 2
W1: Belegar Ironhammer, Durthu, Karl Franz, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress.
W2 - ME: Alith Anar, Count Noctilus, Ikit Claw, Imrik, Kroq-Gar, Louen Leoncoeur, Morghur the Shadowgave, The Fay Enchantress, Vlad von Carstein, Wulfrik the Wanderer, Wurrzag da Great Green Prophet.
W2 - V: Eltharion, Lokhir Fellheart, Markus Wulfhart, Repanse de Lyonesse, Settra the Imperishable, Sisters of Twilight.
THREE KINGDOMS
MOH: Liu Chong, Liu Hong, Lu Zhi, Zhang Bao.
ROTW: Dong Zhuo, Gongsun Zan, He Yi, Liu Bei, Ma Teng, Sun Jian, Yuan Shao.
AWB: Cao Cao, King Mulu, Liu Biao, Lü Bu, Meng Huo, Sun Ce, Yan Baihu.
FD: Cao Cao, Liu Bei, Liu Zhang, Sun Ce, Yuan Shao.
EP: Sima Ai, Sima Yong, Sima Yue.
TROY
Achilles, Aeneas, Agamemnon, Ajax, Diomedes, Hector, Hippolyta, Menelaus, Odysseus, Paris, Penthesilea, Sarpedon.
ROME REMASTERED
RTW: Carthage, Egypt, Greek Cities, Scipii.
BI: Romano-British, Sarmatians, Slavs.

Comments

• Lotor12Lotor12 Registered Users Posts: 609
    There is topic about lacking events/dilemmas after capturing Helen as non Paris/Menelaus factions
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/279932/we-need-new-events-dilemmas-when-we-capture-helen

I would vote for making these dilemmas - I do not need nothing complicated, but meaningful for gameplay
  • toskyruntoskyrun Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 498
    absolutely agree on all points.

regarding motivation, a mechanic like in TOB would work for me, I liked it a lot. the loot could be divided to keep the soldiers quiet, or some general could ask for gold, some rare item, or a woman in particular. not pleasing him could mean lowering his motivation, giving him negative traits and eventually rebelling or giving up.

about the Gods, oh I love this idea! we know that some heroes already start with the favor of some gods but the hatred of other gods, so why not turn this into some game penalties? for example, having the malus with Hera could affect production, hatred of aphrodite could affect public order, zeus a penalty to diplomacy, poseidon greater attrition at sea ... then it's up to the player to build temples to heal the situation. as RafSwi suggests they may not even answer prayers.
    for me this has always been a winning idea. it would give the heroes and their respective campaigns enormous diversity.
  • RafSwi7RafSwi7 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,278
    toskyrun said:

regarding motivation, a mechanic like in TOB would work for me, I liked it a lot. the loot could be divided to keep the soldiers quiet, or some general could ask for gold, some rare item, or a woman in particular. not pleasing him could mean lowering his motivation, giving him negative traits and eventually rebelling or giving up.

about the Gods, oh I love this idea! we know that some heroes already start with the favor of some gods but the hatred of other gods, so why not turn this into some game penalties? for example, having the malus with Hera could affect production, hatred of aphrodite could affect public order, zeus a penalty to diplomacy, poseidon greater attrition at sea ... then it's up to the player to build temples to heal the situation. as RafSwi suggests they may not even answer prayers.
    for me this has always been a winning idea. it would give the heroes and their respective campaigns enormous diversity.

If you only could choose one rework, which would be the most important for you?

Completed ROMEII, ATTILA, THRONES OF BRITANNIA, WARHAMMER, THREE KINGDOMS, TROY and ROME REMASTERED campaigns:
    ROMEII
    GC: Ardiaei, Arevaci, Athens, Baktria, Carthage, Cimmeria, Egypt, Epirus, Iceni, Kush, Lusitani, Macedon, Masaesyli, Massagetae, Massalia, Nabatea, Nervii, Odrysian Kingdom, Parthia, Pergamon, Rome, Royal Scythia, Saba, Seleucid, Sparta, Suebi, Syracuse.
    IA: Antony's Rome, Dacia, Egypt, Marcomanni, Octavian's Rome, Parthia, Pompey's Rome.
    ED: Armenia, Caledonii, Gallic Rome, Marcomanni, Palmyra, Rome, Saxoni, The Sassanids.
    ATTILA
    GC: Alans, Anteans, Eastern Roman Empire, Franks, Geats, Himyar, Jutes, Ostrogoths, Saxons, Venedians.
    AoC: Kingdom of Asturias, Kingdom of Charlemagne, Kingdom of the Danes, Kingdom of Mercia.
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    W1: Belegar Ironhammer, Durthu, Karl Franz, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress.
    W2 - ME: Alith Anar, Count Noctilus, Ikit Claw, Imrik, Kroq-Gar, Louen Leoncoeur, Morghur the Shadowgave, The Fay Enchantress, Vlad von Carstein, Wulfrik the Wanderer, Wurrzag da Great Green Prophet.
    W2 - V: Eltharion, Lokhir Fellheart, Markus Wulfhart, Repanse de Lyonesse, Settra the Imperishable, Sisters of Twilight.
    THREE KINGDOMS
    TROY
    Achilles, Aeneas, Agamemnon, Ajax, Diomedes, Hector, Hippolyta, Menelaus, Odysseus, Paris, Penthesilea, Sarpedon.
    ROME REMASTERED
    RafSwi7 said:

toskyrun said:

If you only could choose one rework, which would be the most important for you?
    surely the gods.
    I've always found this mechanic "underrated"
  • Eruner_SKEruner_SK Registered Users Posts: 100
    1. Motivation - the most useful improvement for small/medium effort
    2. Helen - good improvement for small/medium effort
    3. God - questionable for a lot of effort. Risk of bad user experience
    4. Animations - questionable for a lot of effort. Risk of bad performance
  • Ulfhedinn_Ulfhedinn_ Registered Users Posts: 132
    edited September 23
    I had high hopes for a rework of the battle animations with the arrival of MYTHOS...
    If they can still improve that aspect of the game, that would be great!

The rework with Helen I see as extremely necessary for a more immersive experience.

The rework with the Gods will also be very welcome, as it expands the gameplay in a very interesting way.

I am "ok" with the current motivation, but if they can improve, so much the better.

Eruner_SK said:

1. Motivation - the most useful improvement for small/medium effort
    2. Helen - good improvement for small/medium effort
    3. God - questionable for a lot of effort. Risk of bad user experience
    4. Animations - questionable for a lot of effort. Risk of bad performance
    Obviously not all will happen (if any).

Personally my least wanted is animation rework, while most wanted would be creating more dynamic gods system (IMHO the current system is a little too static and too bonuses oriented, offering just buffs to player without any penalties/rewards system). I would also be happy even if we only had got Helen rework.

I do agree that changes to motivation (replacing it with something more meaningful like court system) would be the most useful for each mode. Some things from gods rework would probably not be included in "historical" mode, so historical fans would not benefit from it as much as myth or behind the myth players.

ROMEII
    ATTILA
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    THREE KINGDOMS
    TROY
    ROME REMASTERED
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 33,834
    I've made the suggestion before that the gods should have internal rivalries and there should be a negative tier to divine will, just like in the old city-builder games (Caesar, Pharao, Emperor etc.):

Ares - Athena
    Zeus - Poseidon
    Aphrodite - Hera
    Apollo - Artemis

with Hephaistos as the only god that's chill with everyone. Put a god in negative tier and he'll punish you in some way. Poseidon sends earthquakes, Apollo inflicts the plague on your armies, Hera spawns raiding monster armies in your territory etc. Enraging a god should be caused by:

-soliciting their rival
    -rededicating their temples, especially if its rededicated to their rival
    -killing or wounding their priests
    -fighting against factions that they hold in high favor

Once a god is in this state, you can only avert their anger by bringing some sort of sacrifice, like a percentage of a resource or sacrificing a general or units or handing over entire regions to other factions. You could also try and have your patron god intervene at the cost of tiers of favor.

• ChicoperarioChicoperario Registered Users Posts: 187
    Agree on all ideas.

I think I would put the "Helen rework" as priority because of how easy it would be to implement - no need for new art or assets, just a pop-up decision where the player decides her fate, just like it already happens on the Menelaus campaign when you take Helen back. Such a small update would add a lot of immersion to the game.

The motivation system is really annoying, I'd like to see it reworked or removed. Again, no need for new assets, although I guess there would be a lot of work to do here.

I'm Ok with the divine favour system right now, but it can be annoying. For example, the Priestess job of doing the Ritual of Exaltation every 3 turns should REALLY be automated somehow. Like, give the Priestess a passive skill that if she ends her turn near a temple, her upkeep increases but you get some favour, since that action would happen every turn automatically, this action should have 1/3 of the cost and 1/3 of the rewards of the current Ritual of Exaltation. Maybe make that an "instance" for the priestess, that consumes all her movement and some resources but ensures a mini ritual of exaltation happens and the end of every turn.

I would also like to see more items / buildings / traits / ancilliaries whatever that forces the player to "specialize" their cults, like, for example, a unique regional building that gives +2 favour to Ares but -2 favour to Aphrodite every turn, etc.

Finally, I'm one of the players that's not bothered by animations, since I spend 99% of the time zoomed far out. I'm not against animations being improved, I just don't think its a priority; I'd rather see more content, units, monsters, factions etc.
  • Vin362Vin362 Registered Users Posts: 1,302
    edited September 23
    Motivation is something that needs rework as having someone garrisoned to raise motivation and recruit units staying in one place too long can result in the laziness trait line, requiring different temples for different heroes also results in other heroes losing motivation. A reward system would be much better then the current system and while gold is rare its use is limited so having an extra use for it would be good.

Helen's only purpose is as a victory condition for Menelaus and used for Paris' mechanics the only other time she has impact is for Diomedes if Helen is still in one of his settlements when your at war with him you can get 100 dominance from capturing the settlement she is in, as it stands without the ability to move her to another settlement she's just an easy target we need to able to ship her back to Paris or Menelaus' capital for idiomatic bonus.
    Supporter of Shu-Han, I wish Total War Three Kingdoms had a Three Kingdoms start date, rider of Kislev, admiral of The Awakened and Elector Count of Shu-Han
    REWORK GODS: I think it would be interesting to portray the division of the gods as Greek and Trojan divine pillars.

Trojans = Zeus, Apollo, Ares, Artemis and Aphrodite.
    Greeks = Poseidon, Hera, Athena, Hermes and Hephaestus.

Trojan Zeus / Greek Poseidon = General benefits
    Trojan Apollo / Greek Hera = Cultural and agents benefits
    Trojan Ares / Greek Athena = War benefits
    Trojan Artemis / Greek Hermes = Mobility and maintenance benefits
    Trojan Aphrodite / Greek Hephaestus = Protection benefits

-soliciting their rival
    -rededicating their temples, especially if its rededicated to their rival
    -killing or wounding their priests
    -fighting against factions that they hold in high favor

Once a god is in this state, you can only avert their anger by bringing some sort of sacrifice, like a percentage of a resource or sacrificing a general or units or handing over entire regions to other factions. You could also try and have your patron god intervene at the cost of tiers of favor.

agree!

for me:
    Hera = malus resources production
    Zeus = penalty to diplomacy
    Ares = attack and morale malus
    Poseidon = greater friction at sea
    apollo = plague on the capital or on the hero's army
    athena = defense and morale malus
    aphrodite = public order malus
    artemide = campaign and battle speed malus
    Hephaestus = armor and piercing damage malus

• RexCapripesRexCapripes Registered Users Posts: 5
    edited September 23
    I concur on all points. However, more broadly, I want the game to be a lot more like Three Kingdoms. For example, I want various characters to begin at a particular rank, and slowly rise up in rank as they establish themselves as a larger and more politically significant realm-- in essence, the Prestige mechanic from Three Kingdoms. It strikes me as odd that the mechanics of managing ones own empire is essentially restricted to Agamemnon, such as awarding political positions to other heroes. I feel this should have been massively expanded upon and been a thing available to all heroes in general should they expand their realm significantly, and Agamemnon should be given new mechanics entirely as compensation (perhaps to do with morale and rallying others into his wars).

I also feel like Motivation gets in the way a lot for my heroes, and doesn't make them feel particularly engaging.

And though CA Sofia said they don't exactly think the game needs it, I still sincerely feel like a family tree system is necessary for this game. Much of the politics of Homer's epics were alliances by marriage, and it's strange that characters like Hector's son Astyanax exist only as events, and that Aeneas' son Ascanius isn't even present nor his wife Kreusa. I feel that the inclusion of a family tree system would allow for more engaging politics all around.

I understand the Trojan War was only 10 years, but the game's timeline could certainly go beyond that for a sandbox experience. Further, related to this, the "immortal characters" thing this game has should also be ditched. I much prefer the Three Kingdoms system where characters can be captured, ransomed, or even executed even though they're unique faction leaders. This makes the most sense to me personally, as people die in the ancient epics a lot.
    Family tree is a mechanic I don't miss in this game. I prefer to see CA working on better things.
    A family tree with unkillable faction leaders would be redundant.

And meaningless. Boring.
  • RexCapripesRexCapripes Registered Users Posts: 5

Family tree is a mechanic I don't miss in this game. I prefer to see CA working on better things.

Alliance by marriage is a frequent thing during this era and is even depicted in Homeric epics.

And meaningless. Boring.
    If you both could please re-read my post (and not merely skim it), this is tied into my suggestion of ditching the unkillable faction leaders (which imo is silly and doesn't line up with the Iliad) to instead make leaders more akin to Three Kingdoms, where they can be killed off.
    Family tree would be a nice addition but I am afraid that it would have to change too many things with it (add seasons, proper timelapse, mortal leaders etc.).

ROMEII
    ATTILA
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    THREE KINGDOMS
    TROY
    ROME REMASTERED

+1
    perhaps an entire family tree would be excessive, but I am in favor of including some missing characters such as Neoptolemus, son of Achilles. I haven't seen him around yet he is an important character
    toskyrun said:

perhaps an entire family tree would be excessive, but I am in favor of including some missing characters such as Neoptolemus, son of Achilles. I haven't seen him around yet he is an important character

Neoptolemus is one of Ajax's paragons.

ROMEII
    ATTILA
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    THREE KINGDOMS
    TROY
    ROME REMASTERED
  • Eruner_SKEruner_SK Registered Users Posts: 100
    Multiplayer must be reworked first
    change my mind

Multiplayer is in Beta and it needs to be reworked into stable, smooth, reliable feature, as soon as possible.
    edited September 28

Alliance by marriage is a frequent thing during this era and is even depicted in Homeric epics.
    But Alliances are possible forming without Family Tree mechanic, we have culture groups and other things
    Also... a "Trojan heirship" with Priam as father, and Hector and Paris as sons work without Family Tree

For me, the "Family Tree" is just overrated mechanic in TW, it does not add interesting options to the game, just unnecessary micromanagement
    Eruner_SK said:

Multiplayer must be reworked first
    change my mind

Multiplayer is in Beta and it needs to be reworked into stable, smooth, reliable feature, as soon as possible.

+1
  • Vin362Vin362 Registered Users Posts: 1,302
    Given Troy has been out for about a month I feel it Multiplayer will be one of the first things addressed if they want cross platform play.
    Supporter of Shu-Han, I wish Total War Three Kingdoms had a Three Kingdoms start date, rider of Kislev, admiral of The Awakened and Elector Count of Shu-Han

Is it? Name one.

I can even name one that totally subverts it, Helen's marriage to Menelaos. Originally Tyndareos was hesitating to marry her to any of her many suitors as that would have lead to the spurned ones swearing vengeance and it was Odysseus who had to come up with the oath of mutual protection to allow for smooth nuptials and the man Helen eventually chose was not chosen for his political benefit to Tyndareos. In fact the marriage meant his kingdom would be handed over to a scion of the Atreides bloodline upon his own death as his sons had pre-deceased him.

Marriage-diplomacy might have been part of bronze-age politics, but it isn't a prominent part of the homeric epics.

• cjzt126cjzt126 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Some Trojan heavy armour models should be reworked. The scale would be distorted (as pic shows) and it's a really immersion killer. the distensible parts of armour shoud be the left and right sides, rather than font side.

@ShiroAmakusa75

Is it? Name one.

I can even name one that totally subverts it, Helen's marriage to Menelaos. Originally Tyndareos was hesitating to marry her to any of her many suitors as that would have lead to the spurned ones swearing vengeance and it was Odysseus who had to come up with the oath of mutual protection to allow for smooth nuptials and the man Helen eventually chose was not chosen for his political benefit to Tyndareos. In fact the marriage meant his kingdom would be handed over to a scion of the Atreides bloodline upon his own death as his sons had pre-deceased him.

Marriage-diplomacy might have been part of bronze-age politics, but it isn't a prominent part of the homeric epics.
    You made very good point @ShiroAmakusa75
    I have not realised it before :smiley:
    I understand the character managment in Shogun 2 (Sengoku jidai era) or Medieval, because of enviroment,
    but Trojan War / Iliad was not really about political marriages
    edited October 13
    I started to play Troy properly again, so I have new thoughs...

At the first, I think. it is better to set qustion - where are the problems in Troy?
    I do not really thing, there is need to "rework" things in campaign part, but fix and balance

The mentiond campaign Court or Family Tree are just unnecessary mechanics, what would bring / fix nothing to the game. Just additional campaign managment, what will slow the game in campaign part

I would focus more on the battle part - units collision, formation, "machine gun" towers in siege battles

I would like too see option foe Player to let AI control groups of soldiers - like in Rome 2, ToB or Shogun2

Battle animations are just cosmetic thing, but I must agree, that it looks bad - like the flying soldiers hitted and killed by slingers

Helen mechanic is actual problem, when the Helen is captured,
    We can see this steam discusion as feedback

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1099410/discussions/0/3038229380331027889/

EDIT:
    another problem - bug with Hector Epic mission

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1099410/discussions/0/2954914688115993586/
    Post edited by Lotor12 on
    Looks, that some people have a problem with campaign AI

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1099410/discussions/0/2954914688114060635/

"Friendly factions seem pointless"

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1099410/discussions/0/2954914688107297911/

"Impossible, utterly impossible to win this game. Not long into to the game, whatever yuou do, uou end up figthing at least ten nations. You have allies but they do not really help you, and all enemies seem to attack specially you."

"IMHO it's by far the hardest TW. It's not the "difficulty" per se. Just the absolute insanity because of the mechanics."

From my Experience -in my Aggamemnon game (normal difficulty), I found Alied too passive, they did not react for set military targets, Menelaus or Diomedes have not attacked targeted enemy city, even if there was no army