Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Gunpowder?

jsoobjsoob Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 23
Hi guys,
Does anyone know the turn/year that gunpowder units can be recruited? Can any nations recruit these units earlier?
Thanks,
Jsoob :)
James :D
Post edited by jsoob on

Comments

• Tyer032392Tyer032392 Senior Member FloridaRegistered Users Posts: 4,786
    edited December 2011
    It is around 107 to 109 I believe. Can't remember for sure but it is before 115 and after 100. And the year should be before 1492.
    Ready for Three Kingdom's TW: I5-6600k, EVGA Geforce GTX 1070SC, 16Gigs RAM, WD Blue PC SSD @ 500GB
  • Dionysius the MightyDionysius the Mighty Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,194
    edited December 2011
    1492 is the year for the World is Round event, gunpowder comes much earlier, around the time of the first Mongol invasion.
    [PORTABLE-ID]dionysiusthemighty[/PORTABLE-ID]

"Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause each one of us must fight on to the end." ~ Field Marshal Haig, order to British troops, 1918

Please view the Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
  • jsoobjsoob Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 23
    edited December 2011
    Thank you very much!
  • darkstardarkstar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 346
    edited December 2011
    a bit after the mongol invasion, but its soon enough that youll be able to arm yourself for the timurids
  • Tyer032392Tyer032392 Senior Member FloridaRegistered Users Posts: 4,786
    edited December 2011
    Be sure to choose wisely though because some faction might have great cannon units but lack effective musket units while other factions have superior musket units but lack cannon units.
    Ready for Three Kingdom's TW: I5-6600k, EVGA Geforce GTX 1070SC, 16Gigs RAM, WD Blue PC SSD @ 500GB
  • jsoobjsoob Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 23
    edited December 2011
    What would you recommend more? Better muskets or more powerful cannon?
  • SkollopsSkollops Senior Member Behind you :ORegistered Users Posts: 3,292
    edited December 2011
    Depends on who you're going to fight. Againt the Timurids I would go for cannons, but against almost everyone else muskets.
    Previously known as DenmarkRules
  • CheChe Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 805
    edited May 2012
    In my current Venice campaign, gunpowder weapons were discovered in 1290 A.D., if I remember correctly....
    "You can learn more about a man in one hour of play, than in an entire year of conversation" - Plato

"Just because you don't take an interest in politics, doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you" - Pericles, 430BC

"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine" - Ernesto "Che" Guevara
  • WiskeyBobWiskeyBob Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 257
    edited May 2012
    You don't really have to make a choice though. Siege artillery is nice to have but you only need one town or castle producing it per region. Arquebuses and musketeers (if you're one of those factions) come from high level city barracks. While your towns are busy building up the economy or upgrading barracks you can make one or two castles get gunsmiths for artillery.
  • glamourishousglamourishous Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 17
    edited May 2012
    which building lead you to gunsmiths, do you need the seige branch to trebuchets, or you armoury?

ok so Gunpowder was just discovered in my current campaign. (thought it had been already). I know have gunsmiths available. So artillary is online, but where do the missle troops come from? they have to come from the castles, right?
  • darkstardarkstar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 346
    edited May 2012
    they come from cities, so i hope you built those up earlier
  • glamourishousglamourishous Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 17
    edited May 2012
    what level militia building do you need? do you need your markets upgraded too? or is that to give gunpowder units exp?
  • MaklodesMaklodes Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 382
    edited May 2012
    what level militia building do you need? do you need your markets upgraded too? or is that to give gunpowder units exp?

You need militia barracks for hand gunners. You need army barracks for arquebusiers and Sudanese gunners. You need royal barracks for musketeers. Exceptions are Hungary, who can get arquebusiers from militia barracks, Russia, who can get Cossack musketeers from any huge city, and Byzantium and Scotland, who never get any gunpowder troops.

Market upgrades play no role, except providing more trade income. However, alchemist's labs, alchemy schools, and universities play a role in improving gunpowder units, as do alchemist's guilds.
  • The KestrelThe Kestrel Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 850
    edited May 2012
    Cannons are preferable to muskets in my humble opinion. They allow me to attack without regard for fortifications.
    edited May 2012
    WiskeyBob wrote: »
    You don't really have to make a choice though. Siege artillery is nice to have but you only need one town or castle producing it per region. Arquebuses and musketeers (if you're one of those factions) come from high level city barracks. While your towns are busy building up the economy or upgrading barracks you can make one or two castles get gunsmiths for artillery.

That is true, however, please bear in mind that you can only get alchemist guilds in cities, not castles. These guilds improve gunpowder weapons. I don't remember whether their effects are global, or only for units trained/retrained in the city with the guild (I bet it depends on the level of the guild building). However, I AM pretty sure that the more gunpowder units you produce in a city, the higher your chance to be offered an alchemist guild in that city....
    "You can learn more about a man in one hour of play, than in an entire year of conversation" - Plato

"Just because you don't take an interest in politics, doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you" - Pericles, 430BC

"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine" - Ernesto "Che" Guevara
    edited May 2012

Remember, you can check this information (for the faction that you are playing) yourself. :) All you need to do is open a settlement information window (where you order buildings to be built), and click the "building browser" icon in the lower left hand corner of the window. :D