Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Faction trends and hopes for game 3 campaign mechanics

TheTrue_LordAndy#1434TheTrue_LordAndy#1434 Registered Users Posts: 1,004
Based on the past two games, we can see a distinct trend where CA is improving on designing faction mechanics and enjoyable campaigns.

Specifically IMO most enjoyable campaigns by race:

Greenskins: Grom
Skaven: Thrott & Ickit Claw
Lizardmen: Oxyotl
High Elves: Eltharion
Wood Elves : Drycha (Sisters for others)
Dark Elves: Rakarth
Dwarves: Thorek
Beastmen: Taurox

Notice a trend... the newer factions are distinct improvements. Also Vampire coast and Toom kings where better race packs than the game 1 race pack implementations. All game 1 race packs in fact needed re-works. (Norsca and CW still do).

So where I am going with this, is that I wanted to use these new factions as a baseline expectation for game 3 faction mechanics and gameplay. I really hope initial faction mechanics in game 3 hold this standard.

In game 2 starting factions seem very bland right now. For example why would I ever play Queek/ Clan moors or clan rictus when Clan Skryer, clan eshin and clan Moulder are so much more in depth and enjoyable.

So in this discussion I want to discuss what mechanics, starting situations, events, quests etc would make the game 3 factions be on par or even better than a Grom, Taurox, Eltharion or Thrott campaign.

Comments

• Red_Dox#2328Red_Dox#2328 Registered Users Posts: 6,811
    While there is certainly an evolution, we don't know how far it will impact game#3 starting races. The game#2 core races for example started with the new ritual mechanics, which already took them a step ahead of the old game#1 races. And the story driven campaign in Vortex was also a huge step up from game#1. The follwoing DLCs did sometimes get better and better in testing the water and bring up new stuff, which especially for the Skaven Clans was fruitful making Clan Pestilence however looking a bit sad in the end.

I would assume that Taurox might already be a prototype for Skarbrand but what will transfer over or what new gameplay stuff in general will be introduced anyway and might make the game#3 core races stronger then the older ones from the start, can't even be guessed as long as CA holds actual campaign gameplay hostage.

I would however be a bit cautious with expectations for the new core races. Even if they use some tricks they learned from past DLCs, the will probably agin be story-tied around whatever campaign mechanics might be hardcoded in place. For example the Survivable battle, which assumingly we have to play 3-6 times and that might not even be the final "boss battle", just stepping stone son the way. It is also very likely that longterm the next DLCs will again be proving grounds for new stuff and then bring up things with different story approaches we might currently not even dream off. Meaning that for example Skarbrand could be end up the most dull of Khornes LLS once others flow in from FLC/DLC with improved mechanics.

------Red Dox
  • makar55makar55 Registered Users Posts: 2,955
    The trend I notice is most of these DLC faction are super easy to play which for some players will be pay to win kind of ingame addition.
  • TheTrue_LordAndy#1434TheTrue_LordAndy#1434 Registered Users Posts: 1,004
    makar55 said:

The trend I notice is most of these DLC faction are super easy to play which for some players will be pay to win kind of ingame addition.

I mean personally I like the Wulfrick campaign challenge but I know that is controversial so I didn't list him. If they can add a few challenge campaigns like his I think it would be nice.
  • makar55makar55 Registered Users Posts: 2,955

makar55 said:

I mean personally I like the Wulfrick campaign challenge but I know that is controversial so I didn't list him. If they can add a few challenge campaigns like his I think it would be nice.
    Wulfrik TWW2 campaign is equivalent to Skarsnik one in TWW1, yet it's all really depend on patch you play the race in. I am pretty sure currently its much easier than in times of ordertide.

But that was not my point. The mechanics DLCs added to game are over the top compared to vaniila ones. Nukes. Tanos snap. Time stop (Taurox). There are cases when these make campaigns that easy so game gets boring. Thankfully there is AI with an endless armies spam which kinda fixes it . . .
  • TheTrue_LordAndy#1434TheTrue_LordAndy#1434 Registered Users Posts: 1,004
    makar55 said:

makar55 said:

Wulfrik TWW2 campaign is equivalent to Skarsnik one in TWW1, yet it's all really depend on patch you play the race in. I am pretty sure currently its much easier than in times of ordertide.

But that was not my point. The mechanics DLCs added to game are over the top compared to vaniila ones. Nukes. Tanos snap. Time stop (Taurox). There are cases when these make campaigns that easy so game gets boring. Thankfully there is AI with an endless armies spam which kinda fixes it . . .
    I know your point, just illustrating an example of a "newerfaction" that is not pay to win. Many of the newer factions are OP yes. Taurox's campaign especially is extremely easy.

I don't know that the endless army spam fixes it though, I like difficulty don't get me wrong but not to the point where it gets tedious. The AI cheats and army spams is a lazy and easy way to increase difficulty that gets old for me because the late game feels like more of a chore rather than enjoyable. I think they need to have more interesting challenges in game 3 than just beating endless AI army spams.

New challenges could be internal politics, rebellion's and chaos cults for example in Cathay campaigns or needing to close portals that chaos is using to send armies from the chaos realms within a certain time limit to stop/delay a massive invasion.
  • damon40000#7640damon40000#7640 Registered Users Posts: 2,051
    sisters one and taurox were so easy it wasnt even funny
    BsFG dwarf
  • IamNotArobot#8850IamNotArobot#8850 Registered Users Posts: 5,758
    Isnt Taurox campaign fixed? I was about to play his faction, should I wait for fix?
    *Justice, cats and CONFEDERATION ENABLED for the Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast! feat mummies and Apophas.
    *Exclusive DLCs for Tomb Kings, Vampire Coast, BM, CW and WE! #DLCsAreRacesToo
    *Remaster all WH1 and WH2 faction icons for WH3!
    *Ogre Kingdoms core race or death!
    *Bring back settlement conquering artworks!
    *Gnoblar Carpet for Greesus
    *Improve UI

• more-morewarpstonemore-morewarpstone Registered Users Posts: 313
    I just want to see what Kairos Fateweaver's campaign will be. Maybe for the future you will be warned of certain things the AI will do, and for the past be able to track exactly where enemy armies went
  • User_ClueUser_Clue Registered Users Posts: 1,571

I just want to see what Kairos Fateweaver's campaign will be. Maybe for the future you will be warned of certain things the AI will do, and for the past be able to track exactly where enemy armies went

I doubt that. I don't think informing you of what the AI will do is even possible. The AI doesn't even "know" what it will do until it does it.
    "Daemons are abroad again, and the servants of the foul gods march south with the storm at their backs. But as the winds of magic stir, other powers rise to contest it.
    I have seen the Lady, my brothers. She came to me from the waters and told me of the trials to come. This is why I call you here, so that Her summons may be answered. I call Errantry, a crusade to strike at the heart of the new darkness"

-- The Lionhearted