Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

SEIGE REWORK SURVEY PUT OUT BY CA

donkeypickerdonkeypicker Registered Users Posts: 37
edited October 12 in Rants and Raves
Does anyone remember the Siege rework survey CA put out??

5 YEARS!!!!! 5 GOD DAMN YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND WE GET THIS!!!!

DID they at least once listen to what we asked for???

CA how about using you brains and doing this.???

Hey Total war Warhammer fans, ready to spend 100's of hours playing and spending money $$$$$ on any bit of content we release on the series. We are going to do a Siege REWORK.

SO we are coming to you, the community, THE DIE HARD FANS, what would you like changed?? please fill out this "SURVEY" we have made for us to get a better idea of what the community wants the most.

Did this happen? No!

I have bought every DLC release for both titles, even for races i dont even play, just to support this project, HOPING WH3 will be something great.

Instead they have just reinforced they use of the auto resolve button for sieges

Even in the LORE, sieges are meant to be something of epic proportions battles lasting for weeks at gates and walls.

CA - no lets make gates, walls, artillery on walls all useless. Because we don't want to fix the issues the community has been pointing out for the past 5 years

I am so **** about this and many others are also. This is the thread to voice all this aggression, as its evident they wont listen to a soft plea. Content creators have even pointed out the issues the community have voiced, and still we get junk
Post edited by Grom_the_Paunch on

Comments

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 29,778
    Okay.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

"Under construction" - Becky, daughter of Guanyin.

"I like small words" - Winsy C

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus

• DarthEnderXDarthEnderX Registered Users Posts: 631
    edited October 12

Did this happen? No!

Or maybe it did and everyone else asked for different stuff than you.
    Post edited by Grom_the_Paunch on

• Steph_F_DavidSteph_F_David Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,120
    I'm rather happy with the proposed changes, waiting to try them and see if they work as intended
  • GBoneGBone Registered Users Posts: 849
    edited October 12
    I nearly agreed with the OP, but there wasn't quite enough exclamation marks and all caps to convince me.
  • SchubSchub Registered Users Posts: 785
    CA always called it Siege rework not remake...
    Sigmar protect us all...

• endikuxendikux Registered Users Posts: 829
    CA never had the siege rework as an important item for game 3.

They showcased their new Survival Battles because that was their focus, not siege reworks or any of the old and outstanding issues from game 1 and 2.

They threw their new Survival Battle tools into this siege rework because the siege rework is an afterthought.

My guess is that their internals probably showed that the Survival Battle showcase was a flop and they went back to the drawing board and rediscovered that people have been wanting a Siege Rework forever.
  • MaksboMaksbo Registered Users Posts: 408
    OP how would you have fixed the problems you are talking about, had you been in the shoes of the senior management at CA? Genuinely curious
  • ASyrianASyrian Registered Users Posts: 901
  • Rob18446Rob18446 Registered Users Posts: 2,031
    I've seen a few of these now, but can you actually articulate what you wanted exactly? People claiming they want sieges to be "epic" but then wanting them to just involve shooting the AI to death outside the front walls? How exactly is that epic
  • ReeksReeks Registered Users Posts: 7,287
    Aah uncontained rage at its finest

I approve

"Yum Yum Ariel stew"

Supreme Matriarch Of Nan-Gau...

Master Of The Storm Winds...

Daughter Of The Dragon Emperor!
  • Total War Fan #2Total War Fan #2 Registered Users Posts: 1,518
    edited October 12
    Absolute mad lad.
    People need to be angry a lot more often.
  • CaesarSahlertzCaesarSahlertz Registered Users Posts: 5,719
    Eh, the rework is fine. It makes sieges more involved affairs and as such is a welcome change.
  • MonochromaticSpiderMonochromaticSpider Registered Users Posts: 1,235
    It's perhaps a bit much to expect players to come up with working solutions after five minutes of thought when CA spent five years and couldn't come up with something better than what they've shown. Which is a bit sad, I have to say.

I don't know what the magic solution would have been. I am not a game developer, and while I have spent thousands of hours playing the game, I haven't spent more than a few minutes pondering how exactly sieges could be made to work better.

That said, I think the first step is thinking about what function walls had in medieval times and how they mechanically achieved this, both before and after gunpowder units became a thing, and then thinking about how function and mechanics would have been changed by flying things that swoop past, flying things that shoot, flying things that land, small but ridiculously fast or tough things, big things that are pretty fast, and very big things that are very sturdy. And what would happen if you take some dude that generates fire-tornados with his brain while sitting on a fast flying thing.

Regular walls as we know them were never designed for these things. And just standing on the walls behind the battlements would work against most very old weapons, but what protection does it offer against mortars and dragon breath and flying horrors and freaking mind-bullets from some smug bugger on an eagle? Not a whole lot.

On the other hand, it obviously makes no sense whatsoever to invest all that effort in building massive walls and then design the city defense on the premise that the walls will be given up early on. That's just a silly strategy and begs the question of why anyone would build those walls in the first place? If you don't expect to be able to hold walls then it would make a lot more sense to build fences, barricades, and dig trenches, and then combine that with bunker-like fortifications, designing funnels of death before the enemy gets into the city proper.

But if you do have melee power then why wouldn't you just design your walls with that in mind and make enough room up there that your troops can actually support one another while under a reasonable amount of protection from enemy ranged weapons and artillery? And then add solid some reasonably protected spots for your own ranged users to protect the wall troops from flying interlopers?

The next thing to consider is just how large maps we want. On one hand, yay, more options. On the other hand, we've had enormous maps in the past and it didn't make sieges great. Instead it meant spending ages on just moving units around. Is that what we want? And the larger the map, the greater the potential for AI abuse as the player finds ways to trick it into losing engagements. Sure, huge maps are pretty, but I just don't think it helps gameplay.

So TL;DR, I think maybe a medium between WH2 maps and what they've showcased in terms of size, some more race-specific ideas in terms of layout, no useless docking on walls that prevent your units from actually supporting each other, and a fair bit more missile protection for units on walls. Probably also a missile unit buff for units shooting from the walls.

And of course none of that silly survival map BS.
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 24,390
    K.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
    Reeks said:

Aah uncontained rage at its finest

I approve

True uncontained rage is doing all caps with no caps lock.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus

• Vova1408Vova1408 Registered Users Posts: 16

Vova1408 said:

Vova1408 said:

The number of people (if you can call them that) WHO DID NOT AGREE with the author of the post once again demonstrates how many degenerates crowded this forum, so loving to eat ****. Who lick their lips contentedly when they are fed this **** with a spoon, and scold and ridicule those who refuse to act and think like them. Know, ****-eaters, that you are one of the reasons for such degradation and decline of the CA studio, which has long realized that their community will chew and swallow smiling any garbage that CA will release for them!

Grow up.
    You farted in a puddle . To begin to grow yourself, maybe you will learn to express disagreement in a reasoned way, child.
    Yes looking at your post it screamed maturity and well thought out argument.

This one in case you forgot-
    Vova1408 said:

The number of people (if you can call them that) WHO DID NOT AGREE with the author of the post once again demonstrates how many degenerates crowded this forum, so loving to eat ****. Who lick their lips contentedly when they are fed this **** with a spoon, and scold and ridicule those who refuse to act and think like them. Know, ****-eaters, that you are one of the reasons for such degradation and decline of the CA studio, which has long realized that their community will chew and swallow smiling any garbage that CA will release for them!

Should I rub your nose in the arguments that I have given in my post and which I propose to challenge? Or will you not disgrace yourself and find them yourself?
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,589
    Vova1408 said:

Vova1408 said:

Vova1408 said:

Grow up.
    You farted in a puddle . To begin to grow yourself, maybe you will learn to express disagreement in a reasoned way, child.

Vova1408 said:

Should I rub your nose in the arguments that I have given in my post and which I propose to challenge? Or will you not disgrace yourself and find them yourself?
    I only eat my own ****.

Like snot it's unsightly to eat others but perfectly socially acceptable to eat my own.
    81jt2dj75iky.png

• LordCommanderLordCommander Registered Users Posts: 2,593
    Vova1408 said:

Oh I must have missed those between your accusing people of being **** eaters and degenerates disagreeing over a computer game.

That kind of stuff tends to stand out, surprisingly.
    Just as a warning against making predictions- https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/290416/time-to-admit-there-will-be-no-new-dlc-for-twwh-2#latest

Stung by people disagreeing with you? Try calling them shills and whiteknights, it's way easier than debating.
  • wunderb0rwunderb0r Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 784
    Vova1408 said:

Vova1408 said:

Grow up.
    You farted in a puddle . First of all, grow up yourself, maybe you will learn to express disagreement in a reasoned way, child.
    smartn't

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
  • Vova1408Vova1408 Registered Users Posts: 16

Vova1408 said:

Vova1408 said:

Vova1408 said:

Grow up.

Vova1408 said:

I only eat my own ****.

Like snot it's unsightly to eat others but perfectly socially acceptable to eat my own.
    Thanks for such trolling, I laughed)
  • DeadpoolSWDeadpoolSW Registered Users Posts: 2,782

This is for you, please wipe the froth from your mouth.
    Nagash will rule again!

Justice for Chaos Dwarfs, Ogre Kingdoms, Araby, Albion, Amazons, Halflings, Nippon, Ind, Khuresh & the Hobgoblin Khanate!
    The internet is two people hurling insults at each other about how immature the other is, neither recognising the context they find themselves in.

Forum Terms & Conditions

• DeadpoolSWDeadpoolSW Registered Users Posts: 2,782
    Vova1408 said:

I am very glad that my message has so undermined your asses. This proves once again how much my statement hit the nail on the head. By the way, I have always believed that the community is the most inadequate and toxic in Russia. But you have proved that this is not the case) Even on the forums of the distant real Kislev, I have not met so many fans of eating **** among WH fans, who at the same time spoke so venomously about those who are trying to tell the inconvenient truth about the vile attitude of CA to customers!)

Just out of curiosity, how am I (a brit) part of the most inadequate and toxic community in Russia?
    Nagash will rule again!

Justice for Chaos Dwarfs, Ogre Kingdoms, Araby, Albion, Amazons, Halflings, Nippon, Ind, Khuresh & the Hobgoblin Khanate!
  • BayesBayes Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,901

Vova1408 said:

I am very glad that my message has so undermined your asses. This proves once again how much my statement hit the nail on the head. By the way, I have always believed that the community is the most inadequate and toxic in Russia. But you have proved that this is not the case) Even on the forums of the distant real Kislev, I have not met so many fans of eating **** among WH fans, who at the same time spoke so venomously about those who are trying to tell the inconvenient truth about the vile attitude of CA to customers!)

Just out of curiosity, how am I (a brit) part of the most inadequate and toxic community in Russia?
    lol
    If you see this lost little fellow please help him find his way home.
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,589
    Bayes said:

Vova1408 said:

lol
    Aren't we all Russian bots deep down?
    81jt2dj75iky.png

• donkeypickerdonkeypicker Registered Users Posts: 37
    Ok ladies and gents, give me till tomorrow to calm down, i will put forward my extreme frustration in better articulated verbiage
  • BayesBayes Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,901
    edited October 12

Bayes said:

Vova1408 said:

lol
    да
    If you see this lost little fellow please help him find his way home.
  • Frank9945671Frank9945671 Registered Users Posts: 324
    edited October 12
    Vova1408 said:

Go back to CS GO, wretched creature!
  • LordCommanderLordCommander Registered Users Posts: 2,593

This forum is decadent and corrupt. We need a new Politburo.

Those that disagree will be sent to the Gulag for re-education.
    Just as a warning against making predictions- https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/290416/time-to-admit-there-will-be-no-new-dlc-for-twwh-2#latest

Stung by people disagreeing with you? Try calling them shills and whiteknights, it's way easier than debating.
  • AxiosXiphosAxiosXiphos Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,981
    Well this is just pathetic....
This discussion has been closed.