Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Ditches and moats on sieges

SusaVile#9835SusaVile#9835 Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 1,430
Following the siege rework, I am definitely very happy with the choices made.

However, would like to know the forums' opinion.

Would moats and ditches be a a nice addition?

I was thinking on using the same idea of the supplies on sieges, and you could invest those into creating some ditches and moats, to force the attacker into different avenues of attack. Or to force them to fill in those ditches to be able to send a ladder or siege tower or battering ram to them. It could even be something only infantry could do, granting them yet another role.

This after viewing how much this gentleman spoke about that, it really made me realize how easy those are and how effective as well. Would be a nice overall addition to total war, although I am unsure how lorewise it would be.
Always learning, be polite, unless he's the enemy:P
Cheers
SusaVile
Total war youtuber

Comments

• Red_Dox#2328Red_Dox#2328 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,625
    Ditches and Moats you say? Those are technically to advanced for most races. Except Orcs, since everyone knows green is best.

------Red Dox
  • Rob18446Rob18446 Registered Users Posts: 2,313
    They wouldn't be terrible but they'd also male the outer wall fight even more of a slog fest.
  • mdgh1991#3091mdgh1991#3091 Registered Users Posts: 518
    I would love it.

Have you played "stronghold" series? I wish I could see some elements from that series in TWWH. Digging moat in front of walls to prevent attacker using ladders/siege equipments is a good thing.
  • Stacks_LeeStacks_Lee Registered Users Posts: 364
    I think ditches or some other terrain "hazard" would be a good addition outside the walls. One of the issues with defending walls is how fast the attackers can close the distance. Obstacles like ditches that give a hefty speed debuff would allow the defender's ranged units and artillery to do more damage during the approach.
  • sykall#1105sykall#1105 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,031
    edited October 2021
    The more siege options the better.

I'd like moats and dikes and wooden pallisades and trenches and tarpits and murderholes and tunnels to destroy the walls and wooden walls for attackers and (insert any other siege equiptment or tool for attackers/defenders).

Maybe future TW can truly take a notch of stronghold or other historic siege techniques.

Filling the white spots - 7 made-up factions to enrich the empty parts of the WFB setting
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/288418/filling-the-white-spots-7-made-up-factions-to-fill-out-the-wfb-setting
  • Serkelet#1834Serkelet#1834 Member Registered Users Posts: 1,088
    It would certainly be great. I'm all for it. Will CA do it at this point? Maaaybe for the remake of the Warhammer trilogy 20 years from now.
  • T_MACCABBEET_MACCABBEE Registered Users Posts: 700
    Yes definitely.
    The stronghold games for example, made it hard to reach the walls because your troops had to fill the moats with soil first and they would be getting shot at while they did.
    This would really cause you to think twice when besieging settlements.
  • SusaVile#9835SusaVile#9835 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,430
    mdgh1991 said:

I would love it.

Have you played "stronghold" series? I wish I could see some elements from that series in TWWH. Digging moat in front of walls to prevent attacker using ladders/siege equipments is a good thing.

No, sadly, the latest I have seen of a use of a moat was (don't laugh) on Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and Lords of the Realm 2 (I am old...)
    Always learning, be polite, unless he's the enemy:P
    Cheers
    SusaVile
    Total war youtuber
  • saweendra#3399saweendra#3399 Registered Users Posts: 19,593
    SusaVile said:

mdgh1991 said:

I would love it.

No, sadly, the latest I have seen of a use of a moat was (don't laugh) on Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and Lords of the Realm 2 (I am old...)
    Heros of might and magic three was great , the rest that followed it was meh

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc