Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Would you play cathay or kislev in different languages just with english text?

overtaker40overtaker40 Registered Users Posts: 255
Playing campaigns like Drycha and The lizardmen, where they speak a made up language, got me thinking about the audio of the campaigns for WH3.

I think if they hired decent voice actors/ actressess, Id like to play a version where the kislev Legendary lords spoke Russian, The Cathay lords Chinese/Mandarin and Nippon, when it comes(cause it will), in Japanese.

But the option to leave factions in English, and not changing the whole game. So Empire and High Elves would stay english. Bretonia might be french however.

Like a mixed region audio setting.

Does that sound like a cool idea or am I wierd?

Comments

• ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 26,461
    It’s a completely unrealistic idea.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • FerestorFerestor Registered Users Posts: 1,261
    Then I want a german Reikland, a French Bretonnia, a egyptian TK....

So no the idea is not good imo.
  • DaGangsterDaGangster Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,700
    I don't know if id say its unrealistic, I've played games before where it had the option to have regional voices for people who didn't speak English. Xcom maybe or maybe it was CoH? That said I wouldn't personally use it in this particular game and I think many other things could be done before that.

Team Vampire Counts

"Many players cannot help approaching a game as an optimization puzzle. What gives the most reward for the least risk? What strategy provides the highest chance – or even a guaranteed chance – of success? Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."

- Soren Johnson

I don't know if id say its unrealistic, I've played games before where it had the option to have regional voices for people who didn't speak English. Xcom maybe or maybe it was CoH? That said I wouldn't personally use it in this particular game and I think many other things could be done before that.

Yes most games in germany are dubbed, but then its all german not just one faction like OP suggest.
  • EthorinEthorin Registered Users Posts: 626
    as an option it'd be cool for some people... but... I mean, half the point for Lizards and Trees is to demonstrate why people have no idea wtf is going on with them when they show up mad about something or other.
  • KuntingWarriorKuntingWarrior Registered Users Posts: 3,672
    Yes fren, I would like mash potato.
  • ReeksReeks Registered Users Posts: 8,061
    I´d prefer english with accents

Accents are so much fun!

GuO STOMP!
    Nurgle Is Love
    Nurgle Is Life
  • Frank9945671Frank9945671 Registered Users Posts: 366
    edited October 14

Playing campaigns like Drycha and The lizardmen, where they speak a made up language, got me thinking about the audio of the campaigns for WH3.

I think if they hired decent voice actors/ actressess, Id like to play a version where the kislev Legendary lords spoke Russian, The Cathay lords Chinese/Mandarin and Nippon, when it comes(cause it will), in Japanese.

But the option to leave factions in English, and not changing the whole game. So Empire and High Elves would stay english. Bretonia might be french however.

Like a mixed region audio setting.

Does that sound like a cool idea or am I wierd?

Russian localization is trash, trust me. We have terrible voice actors, directors, etc who don't give a **** about result(especially in video games). English with accents is much better.
  • ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,299
    The best voice acting for characters truly does come from audibly understanding what they're saying.

Malekith, Gelt, Harkon, Skarsnik, Sisters of Twilight, etc. etc. would all have way less impact if they were just speaking unintelligibly with subtitles.

For some Races/Units it makes sense, such as the Lizardmen. Or even some of the new stuff, like the Terracota Sentinel or Snow Leopard.

But OVERALL, especially for character-driven Races, understanding the language is a huge plus imo.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,581
    I would play High Elves even more if they spoke Eltharin.
  • General_HijaltiGeneral_Hijalti Registered Users Posts: 4,344
    No because Kislev don't speak Russian and cathay don't speak Chinese.
    They speak whatever in universe language they have.
  • SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 6,844

Playing campaigns like Drycha and The lizardmen, where they speak a made up language

Tree Spirits, Lizardmen and Beastmen. Monsters, to be short. Even Skaven speak English. Should Kislev really be more alien to the average player than Skaven?
  • overtaker40overtaker40 Registered Users Posts: 255
    It seems most people aren't a fan of the extra work that would be involved. But if they did the voices already for regional versions, they would only need to create a separate audio track? Surely not that much work?
    SerPus said:

Playing campaigns like Drycha and The lizardmen, where they speak a made up language

Tree Spirits, Lizardmen and Beastmen. Monsters, to be short. Even Skaven speak English. Should Kislev really be more alien to the average player than Skaven?
    No they don't?
    Valkaar said:

The best voice acting for characters truly does come from audibly understanding what they're saying.

Malekith, Gelt, Harkon, Skarsnik, Sisters of Twilight, etc. etc. would all have way less impact if they were just speaking unintelligibly with subtitles.

For some Races/Units it makes sense, such as the Lizardmen. Or even some of the new stuff, like the Terracota Sentinel or Snow Leopard.

But OVERALL, especially for character-driven Races, understanding the language is a huge plus imo.

Plenty of people watch anime with subtitles, this argument seems like a fallacy. As long as there was local text it would be fine. Though I also mean as an option. I know some people wouldn't like this.

It seems most people aren't a fan of the extra work that would be involved. But if they did the voices already for regional versions, they would only need to create a separate audio track? Surely not that much work?

I think the audio is always english. Just thwe text are translated right?
  • SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 6,844

But if they did the voices already for regional versions, they would only need to create a separate audio track? Surely not that much work?

SerPus said:

But if they did the voices already for regional versions, they would only need to create a separate audio track? Surely not that much work?

Ok I didn't know that no others had audio. They would be seeing precedent then, but I'm sure it would seem allot better in some countries of the audio was localised. It may eventually make them money to put in the extra work.
  • ZekerathZekerath Registered Users Posts: 689
    Honestly, hearing Norscans speaking Finnish or Scandinavian languages would have me laughing every time I'd have to interact with them.
    But I still doubt it would be worth the effort and resources. Re-recording already existing voicelines alone would cost a heavy penny for what I imagine would be fairly low return for CA.
    There's also the point that Cathay, Kislev and Empire don't actually speak Chinese, Russian or German, they speak their own, in-universe languages (such as Reikspiel) that are yes inspired by our real languages but aren't exactly like them, much like their cultures and societies are not exact copies. So I don't really see the idea even making sense.

SerPus said:

Ok I didn't know that no others had audio. They would be seeing precedent then, but I'm sure it would seem allot better in some countries of the audio was localised. It may eventually make them money to put in the extra work.
    Not really. I can just speak for germany but i changed to english text also.

The translation in germany is sometimes really stupid. f.e. Throt the unclean becomes "Skrotz der Mutant"
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 26,461
    Ferestor said:

SerPus said:

Not really. I can just speak for germany but i changed to english text also.

The translation in germany is sometimes really stupid. f.e. Throt the unclean becomes "Skrotz der Mutant"
    Yeah the German translation is just terrible… I changed the language after the Vampire Coast…
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • mightygloinmightygloin Karaz-a-KarakRegistered Users Posts: 5,250
    Sounds like asking for an unneeded expenditure in a game where even some of the new units taking their share of basic recolors/reskins due to cost cutting.
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 13,577
    FIrst they should do Eltharin and Khazalid.

Then, we may talk.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

• KirGeoKirGeo Registered Users Posts: 900
    Thing is humans are artificial by a loose definition in the warhammer world. So the different ethnicities have similar language with different accents isn't as weird as it would be in RL. If GW/CA had decided to give Cathay a different language cool. Having the same language doesn't make it wrong imo.
    We want all the factions Dogs of War, Araby, Ind, Kuresh, Nippon, Hobgoblin Khanate. Milk us CA.
  • ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,299
    edited October 14

Valkaar said:

Plenty of people watch anime with subtitles, this argument seems like a fallacy. As long as there was local text it would be fine. Though I also mean as an option. I know some people wouldn't like this.
    It's not a fallacy. It's a preference.

Yes, some watch it with subtitles. Others prefer it dubbed. It comes down to a matter of taste.

In amine, this preference has a closer split because the original Japanese voice actors are usually quite talented/passionate, while (sometimes) their dubbed counterparts sound cheap or wooden. Additionally, for NEW release amine, frequently subtitles are available sooner, while the dubs come out later. So subtitles are how you have to watch it unless you're willing to wait.

^None of this is a factor in Warhammer. CA hires plenty of very talented voice actors and we're not waiting on a delay for the 'English' version of the game.

I understand that SOME people prefer to have their games spoken in historically authentic languages as it was in Empire and Shogun n such. Still, SOME people prefer the English. These are preferences, not logical fallacies.

Arguably, for Total War, the 'unintelligible language' stuff works best for 'historical immersion/authenticity' (not relevant in Warhammer since it's not a historical game). And it works well enough for GENERIC units, since they don't have as many lines, and you really only need to get the gist of 'Charge!' and 'Fire!'.

Warhammer though, is perhaps the most character-driven Total War game ever made, with LL's, grand narratives, individual Quest Battles, and characters who never die. Troy and 3K have stepped in this direction as well, but Warhammer is the most dedicated to it's vast array of unique characters.

In a character driven game, complex personality and emotional articulation matter; way beyond just "I'm angry hiss-snarl". When it's not in a language you can understand, you can 'get the gist' of the inflection and all that. But it absolutely has more impact when it's in a native language that you can understand.

Imagine for example, just reading Gelt's "Welcome to Estalia gentlemen" speech, vs actually hearing it play out in English. Those subtitles alone would not have gained online popularity and become a meme. It's entirely the extra flourish that comes with understanding the voice and cadence of delivery.

For some Races/Characters/Units, unintelligible is fine. Taurox isn't exactly a nuanced chap after all 😆

But in general, yeah, this game and it's characters would lose a ton of their in-game popularity and appeal if we couldn't understand them. So especially for characters that CA is trying to develop, keeping it English is the best bet for Western audiences.

^Again. This is a preference. Everyone is allowed their preferences. It doesn't make it a logical fallacy.