Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Looking to get back into TWWH, please help!

spvrtanspvrtan Registered Users Posts: 3
edited October 14 in Technology [Archived]
Sorry for wall of text!

I played both wh1 and 2 from release and had about 1500ish hours across both, my pc at the time was terrible and struggled to get 20-30fps at the best of times and the only reason I stopped playing was due to it dying.

With the release of WH3 expected in early 2022 I'm gonna jump back into both previous games to prepare myself and currently am looking at pcs so I do not have to go through that ungodly low fps torture again. These are a few I've been looking at and not sure which will be the best and hopefully hold up for WH3.

1st pc:
Intel i7-9700K CPU 3.60Hz 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s)
- RTX 2070 Super
- 32GB RAM
- Motherboard product: PRIME B360M-A
- 1x 240GB SSD
- 1x 1TB HDD
- 3x Cooling Fans
- 1x Liquid Cooling System
- 1x ASUS Montitor VA229HR 21.5 Inch Monitor, FHD (1920 x 1080), IPS, 75 Hz, VGA, HDMI, Low Blue Light, Flicker Free, TUV Certified
- 1x Razer Deathadder Elite Mouse
- 1x Black DELL Membrane Keyboard

2nd pc:
Rtx 2070 evga super 8gb
Ryzen 3600 6c/12t @3.6mhz boost 4.2ghz
EVGA 1000 watt power supply
Corsair icue 465X rgb case
16gb Corsair Vengeance LPX ddr4 3200mhz
B450 rog strix Asus mobo
2tb WD hard drive
250 gb Crucial ssd
Corsair h100 rgb water cooler
TP-LINK Archer T9UH USB Wireless
2560x1080p 29' LG ultra wide monitor
Razer blackwidow mechanical keyboard
Razer gaming mouse rgb
Razer Mouse matt

3rd pc:
Ryzen 5 3600x CPU
Golden Field 240mm AIO Liquid Cooler (CPU)
Asus Prime B450 MA II Mobo
Inno3D 1080Ti 11GB GPU
NZXT G12 GPU AIO Cooler Bracket
NZXT X41 130mm AIO Cooler (GPU)
Braided Extension Cables
16GB XPG Gaming D10 3200MHz Ram
Aerocool Integrator XT 750w PSU
Samsung Evo 860 500GB SATA
128GB NVME
Windows 10 Pro Activated
Mechanical 88 Key Gaming KB (9 Backlight Modes)
RGB Gaming Mouse
XL Mouse Mat
Trust Sound Bar
Pixio PX277 Prime 27 inch 165Hz 1440p Monitor
HyperX Cloud Stinger Core Wireless 7.1 Headset

Comments

• mewade44mewade44 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,547
    Get which evers the most expensive
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 31,184
    I recommend the subreddit Cabal of the Build Smiths.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

"I like small words" - Winsy C

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, Greater Demon of the Ogre Kingdoms, Teller of Truths, Enemy of Lies, Emperor of a lost Empire

• saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 15,501
    i would personally go for second pc as it seems to have the best upgrade path , but check the mother board specs to see what upgrades are possible

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

• ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,315
    edited October 14
    Edit:*** I re-read a bit more carefully, and I saw that comp #2 DOES indeed have a solid state. That would make comp #2 the best option for sure. It has the superior graphics card + processor, a quality monitor, AND an SSD. I still stand by my general argument of not buying bundles, but instead buying separately. But the #2 bundle checks all the boxes I discussed in my original post (although you didn't mention the refresh rate on monitor #2...but I assume it's decent given the inches/resolution).

I think you're bundling too much gear together needlessly.

Buy a tower. And THEN buy the peripherals separately.

For example, the monitor on #3 has by the best refresh rate and resolution. But the graphics card is a couple generations older and the processor on #3 is definitely inferior to the processor on 1 + 2.

But if you switch to #1 (which has a better processor and a better graphics card)...your monitor has less than half the refresh rate, so it loses the ability to display any of the gains you've made in hardware.

So as a combination kit, I wouldn't buy ANY of the items you listed, just because they're bizarre combinations. You can have the best hardware in the world...you're still going to get screen splitting and stuttered frames if your monitor can't display what your computer is rendering.

Just some thoughts:

1. The Graphics cards on ALL those are all sufficient to run game on High/Ultra settings. You can even get away with an Nvidia 970 or less and still get quaIity graphics performance. So don't overspend on the card if you need to cut corners to meet a budget. The 1080/2070 are all perfectly capable of running this game (although the 2070 is the better option if money is the same).

2. Processor wise, they all seem capable running of running it, but the processor is more of a bottleneck than the graphics card with this series. So if you have to pick a component to get a nicer version of, the 3.6 processor on rigs #1 and #2 is going to be a higher priority than the 3.2 processor on rig #3.

3. Another major bottleneck in this series is the solid state harddrive. A solid state drive is HIGHLY recommended to avoid long turn/load times. It's maybe not as needed for high FPS. But if you don't want to sit and twiddle your thumbs on the late-game end-turns, make sure you get something with a solid-state (in other words, avoid computer #2).

^^Combining all these ideas (a capable processor, with good graphics AND a solid state), and I'd get computer #1. But as mentioned earlier, computer 1 has by far the worst monitor. You'd want something closer to Computer 3's monitor.

So try to either buy them separately, or find a different combination kit^^ that includes those kinds of specs. And if you need to sacrifice on one piece in order to make the others work, sacrifice the quality on the graphics card. This game is not that graphically demanding compared to its CPU/Harddrive speed requirements.

Edit:*** I re-read a bit more carefully, and I saw that comp #2 DOES indeed have a solid state. That would make comp #2 the best option for sure. It has the superior graphics card + processor, a quality monitor, AND an SSD. I still stand by my general argument of not buying bundles, but instead buying separately. But the #2 bundle checks all the boxes I discussed in my original post (although you didn't mention the refresh rate on monitor #2...but I assume it's decent given the inches/resolution).
  • spvrtanspvrtan Registered Users Posts: 3
    Valkaar said:

I think you're bundling too much gear together needlessly.

Buy a tower. And THEN buy the peripherals separately.

For example, the monitor on #3 has by the best refresh rate and resolution. But the graphics card is a couple generations older and is the processor on #3 is definitely inferior to 1 + 2.

But if you switch to #1 (which has a better processor and a better graphics card)...your monitor has less than half the refresh rate, so it loses the ability to display any of the gains you've made in hardware.

So as a combination kit, I wouldn't buy ANY of the items you listed, just because they're bizarre combinations. You can have the best hardware in the world...you're still going to get screen splitting and stuttered frames if your monitor can't display what your computer is rendering.

Just some thoughts:

1. The Graphics cards on ALL those are all sufficient to run game on High/Ultra settings. You can even get away with an Nvidia 970 or less and still get quaIity graphics performance. So don't overspend on the card if you need to cut corners to meet a budget. The 1080/2070 are all perfectly capable of running this game (although the 2070 is the better option if money is the same).

2. Processor wise, they all seem capable running of running it, but the processor is more of a bottleneck than the graphics card with this series. So if you have to pick a component to get a nicer version of, the 3.6 processor on rigs #1 and #2 is going to be a higher priority than the 3.2 processor on rig #3.

3. Another major bottleneck in this series is the solid state harddrive. A solid state drive is HIGHLY recommended to avoid long turn/load times. It's maybe not as needed for high FPS. But if you don't want to sit and twiddle your thumbs on the late-game end-turns, make sure you get something with a solid-state (in other words, avoid computer #2).

^^Combining all these ideas (a capable processor, with good graphics AND a solid state), and I'd get computer #1. But as mentioned early, computer 1 has by far the worst monitor. You'd want something closer to Computer 3's monitor.

So try to either buy them separately, or find a different combination kit^^ that includes those kinds of specs. And if you need to sacrifice on one piece in order to make the others work, sacrifice the quality on the graphics card. This game is not that graphically demanding compared to its CPU/Harddrive speed requirements.

Thanks a lot buddy, the reason they're so mismatched is they're built by a charity company that uses donated parts so it'd just be a pc for now until I can upgrade in future!
  • ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,315
    saweendra said:

i would personally go for second pc as it seems to have the best upgrade path , but check the mother board specs to see what upgrades are possible

Agreed. I edited my original post. But in my original post, I may have dismissed computer #2 prematurely.

#2 has the SSD I was originally concerned about it lacking.

So #2 seems to be the best combination.
  • spvrtanspvrtan Registered Users Posts: 3
    Valkaar said:

saweendra said:

Agreed. I edited my original post. But in my original post, I may have dismissed computer #2 prematurely.

#2 has the SSD I was originally concerned about it lacking.

So #2 seems to be the best combination.
    Much appreciated, I will go with the 2nd one and upgrade in future!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file