Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

WD article: The WAAAGHS! of the Warhammer World

Comments

• JungleElfJungleElf Registered Users Posts: 6,502
    How the Empire always manages to survive all these conflicts, is beyond me, if you look at the battle descriptions.
  • CaesarSahlertzCaesarSahlertz Registered Users Posts: 7,073
    JungleElf said:

How the Empire always manages to survive all these conflicts, is beyond me, if you look at the battle descriptions.

Probably in a similar way that our world's nations kept bouncing back even after having been raided deep in their territories.. Naturally the Empire is a bit more fantastical and manages to bounce back more or less intact from things they shouldn't be able to, but such is fiction..
  • Kn_Gars#2718Kn_Gars#2718 Registered Users Posts: 3,275
    JungleElf said:

Plot armour made of Gromril ;)

If you look at the timeline the greatest waaghs are actually fairly spread out over the long history of the Empire. There is over 700 years between the Waaghs of Gorband and Grom for example. The sheer size of the Empire also makes it resilitent, Azhag may be rampaging through Ostland and Ostermark but that has zero impact on Middenland or distant Averland. The size also makes it possible to muster reinforcements even when some parts are overrun.

And in our real world countries survived almost endless conflicts like the 100 Years War or 30 Years War which brougt massive devastation through war, famine and pestilence. Humans in well established societies can be surprisingly resilient.
    The user formerly known as KN_Gars, thanks for the involunatry rename CA.
  • Red_Dox#2328Red_Dox#2328 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,450
    Might drop every now and then more WAAAGHH!s here when I stumble over them. Now where I have a place to pile them up when flippingthrough WDs in search of something else ;) Today that would be WAAAGH! Zog, apparently one of the minor groups active during the "Nemesis Crown" Campaign (so, 2520 IC timeframe, after "Storm of Chaos").

Source: White Dwarf 330

------Red Dox
  • HighPriest_Astragoth#4150HighPriest_Astragoth#4150 Registered Users Posts: 641
    Hey Red Dox, was there ever any large scale Greenskin invasions that were composed of, and lead by Forest Goblins?
    I know they make small raids for sacrifices to be tossed into the Spider Pits, but otherwise I don't really know of any large gatherings of the Forest Goblins. Oh, and is there any lore on how the Savage Orcs and Wood Elves view the Forest Goblins?

I saw on a few YouTube videos where they were saying the Wood Elves get along with the Forest Goblins in a sort of, "Leave us alone, we leave you alone", but for the life of me I have never seen any lore to back that up, it just seems more like headcannon that got passed around the table, though to be fair I can see it actually being the real response the two would show for each other. On the Savage Orcs, I have heard nothing of their views on each other, which is weird as Forest Goblins get mistaken for "Savage Goblins" all the time, hell I have even heard some, who should have known better, say that the Forest Goblins are just the Goblins that come from the Savage Orc Tribes, making them more in line with the Gnoblar who "evolved" to attend their new master, over the Night Goblins who actually evolved to survive and thrive in their new deep dark danky home.
    Hear the summons of Hashut!
    The Dark Father calls you to slaughter,
    Blood and fire exhorts you to war!
    Stretch your limbs of blood-filed steel,
    The Dawi-Zharr march fourth once more!
    Answering the summons of Hashut!

-From the K'daai rituals of awakening.
    @HighPriest_Astragoth I remember Schusters last stand against Crazy Spider and Squatting Troll, and then there is the Drakwald War. But both are not full fledged WAAAGH!s. Usually its rather the Empire trying to invade the Forests and stirring things up, while yes, on occasion Forest Goblin warbands raid around the Forests or join actual WAAAGH!s. Kinda like Forest Goblins got bold and rampaged around in the wake of Groms WAAAGH!.

Also not really sure about lore regarding Savage Orc views or worse, tree hippie views on Forest Goblins. Imo Savage Orcs should go along with Forest Goblins good enough. Both are a bit crazy and savage so they should have plenty of common ground. The Tree Hippies however, I know they are more friendly with Zoats. Not sure they would have a similar "live and let die" attitude to Forest Goblins. Not even sure if for example Athel Loren would have some Forest Goblins around. Occasional Beastmen, yeah, but can't really remember reading about much interaction with Forest Goblins.

Map wise we just have the Orc tribes around the mountains (Since Louen Orcslayer drove them out of Bretonnia), so while a "unknown" Forest Goblin tribe in Athel Loren might be possible, I would currently say its rather unlikely.

I might do a piece for Snagla in the future, and wanted to include some general Forest Goblin stuff. Who knows, maybe I find some fitting information when digging around those topics.

------Red Dox
  • BrynjarKBrynjarK Registered Users Posts: 915
    edited October 2021
    Gorbad was a beast.
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 14,927
    edited October 2021
    One significant Waaaagh for game 3 would've been the one that Greasus crushed, lead by Urk Ironskull. Technically it wasn't named, but that Greenskin invasion of the Mountains of Mourne is stated to have been a Waaagh nontheless. 8th ed OK armybook pages 27-29.
    Furthermore, I consider that Daemon Prince must be removed.
  • CaesarSahlertzCaesarSahlertz Registered Users Posts: 7,073
    Crossil said:

One significant Waaaagh for game 3 would've been the one that Greasus crushed, lead by Urk Ironskull. Technically it wasn't named, but that Greenskin invasion of the Mountains of Mourne is stated to have been a Waaagh nontheless. 8th ed OK armybook pages 27-29.

Greenskin aren't usually too fancy in their naming conventions, so there is a very high chance that the WAAAGH! you mention was just named 'WAAAGH! Urk' or 'WAAAGH! Ironskull'.
    Crossil said:

And today is the perfect time for that tale ;)

Source: 8th armybook Ogre Kingdoms

------Red Dox

• HighPriest_Astragoth#4150HighPriest_Astragoth#4150 Registered Users Posts: 641
    New Forest Goblin lore, awesome, thanks so much Red Dox
    The Dark Father calls you to slaughter,
    Blood and fire exhorts you to war!
    Stretch your limbs of blood-filed steel,
    The Dawi-Zharr march fourth once more!
    Answering the summons of Hashut!

-From the K'daai rituals of awakening.
    WAAAGH! Gutrippa during the reign of Phoenix King Finubar.

While the WAAAGh is a sidenote, it looks still like a interesting event. Involving Sea Lord Aislinn (who still has a good chance to become the next HE DLC LL) and the dwarfs of Barak Varr. Now, Barak Varr is not on the game#3 campaign map but a seaforce could start rather on some Norsca coast for XY. And since Dwarfs and Elves apparently ended the cooperation with more grudges, it offers a opportunity for some rivalry DLC. Even if we talk "old races" and now game#3 contender.
    Doubt something might come out of it, but a man can dream once in a while.

-----Red Dox