Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

CREATING A NEW ANCILLARY?

TOTALWAR222TOTALWAR222 Registered Users Posts: 50
edited October 25 in Medieval II: Total War
Hello:

I have been playing Third Age Total War long time ago. If you play as Gondor, at some point of the campaign a message will appear if you want Aragorn as a general. This should be "The Return of the King" event, (but the developers didn't make that) and he should automatically become King. He arrives in Gondor and that's it. My Third Age is the 3.2, but there is only an ancillary of the Steward of Gondor, not the King of Gondor. So, anyone knows here how to create a new ancillary or code the game, so, when Aragorn appears, he will get that ancillary and become King.

I already tried to create an ancillary, but in the game, it looked like a giant white rectangle, and the mod, crashed. Maybe it is due because the picture or photo is too big or something. I need your help, please.
Post edited by TOTALWAR222 on

Comments

• FritzvomWaldFritzvomWald Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 95
    edited October 29
    There are several pitfalls you can run into:

- wrong size of picture (33*41)
    - wrong format (TGA in RGB mode, eg no grey scale or indexed)
    - black display instead of transparency (can't be changed, needs to be replaced with background of where the ancillary appears)

Coding the trigger for the ancillary could be a bit iffy as I can't recall how (code wise) Aragorn became leader, or if he actually is a faction leader where the game is concerned. Would need the script file to figure that out.

Note: you cannot replace an existing faction leader without removing him first, eg killing via script. That's why he is offered as general. If memory serves the 'steward' is the faction leader for gondor at game start, which means accepting the aragorn offer will create him as a regular 'named character', eg general. Hence my puzzlement how he would become king as he isn't a heir either.
    Post edited by FritzvomWald on
    author.png
  • TOTALWAR222TOTALWAR222 Registered Users Posts: 50

There are several pitfalls you can run into:

- wrong size of picture (33*41)
    - wrong format (TGA in RGB mode, eg no grey scale or indexed)
    - black display instead of transparency (can't be changed, needs to be replaced with background of where the ancillary appears)

Coding the trigger for the ancillary could be a bit iffy as I can't recall how (code wise) Aragorn became leader, or if he actually is a faction leader where the game is concerned. Would need the script file to figure that out.

Note: you cannot replace an existing faction leader without removing him first, eg killing via script. That's why he is offered as general. If memory serves the 'steward' is the faction leader for gondor at game start, which means accepting the aragorn offer will create him as a regular 'named character', eg general. Hence my puzzlement how he would become king as he isn't a heir either.

1. I wanted to make the ancillary of the King of Gondor and these two problems happened:

- As I said before, the ancillary image was too big, and all the ancillaries in the campaign got corrupted or selected randomly to all the generals.

- I used Paint 3D to make the image, but it didn't worked. :/

2. What program should I use to make TGA images?

3. All the Third Age ancillaries images have a "parchment" at the background. I don't know how to add that.

4. The Aragorn thing is not very important. I just want to make a new ancillary, and that's it.

5. Don't worry, I know how to change the name of the Faction Leader. It is "expanded.txt" file. And then, just change "%Steward" to "%King".
    edited November 5
    2. I use the **** - it's freeware.
    3. It's called 'working in\with layers' check the ****'s help function - you use a 'clean' image at the bottom of a stack, then put the ancillary pic in the next layer and export (save) as TGA. Remove the ancillary pic layer, put another pic - rinse and repeat.

Let me know if you run into issues.
    author.png

2. I use the **** - it's freeware.
    3. It's called 'working in\with layers' check the ****'s help function - you use a 'clean' image at the bottom of a stack, then put the ancillary pic in the next layer and export (save) as TGA. Remove the ancillary pic layer, put another pic - rinse and repeat.

Let me know if you run into issues.

2. Your link of the program named "Freeware" doesn't work.

3. Ok, I will try to figure it out.
    edited November 9
    LOL - the Total War bot thinks 'G I M P' is a swear word and has replaced it with asterixes (Fwww): [code]https://forums.totalwar.com/home/leaving?allowTrusted=1&target=https://www.****.org/[/code]

Simply google for 'g i m p' (without the spaces) to get the download link
    author.png

LOL - the Total War bot thinks 'G I M P' is a swear word and has replaced it with asterixes (Fwww): [code]https://forums.totalwar.com/home/leaving?allowTrusted=1&target=https://www.****.org/[/code]

Simply google for 'g i m p' (without the spaces) to get the download link

Ok. There I can edit the images of the ancillaries and all those things? Ok. Thank you for helping me!

LONG LIVE THE KING OF GONDOR!
    edited November 10
    Correct, this is fairly advanced freeware graphic editor. Do give a call if you run into issues.

Tip: the editor uses 'export' instead of 'save', in case you wonder. 'Save' is in it's own format, similar to Photoshop's workbook.
    author.png
    edited November 15

Correct, this is fairly advanced freeware graphic editor. Do give a call if you run into issues.

Tip: the editor uses 'export' instead of 'save', in case you wonder. 'Save' is in it's own format, similar to Photoshop's workbook.

Hey! It worked! I finally created the ancillary of the King of Gondor using Aragorn, and the game didn't crashed. By the way, talking about ancillaries, if you have played Third Age Total War, do you know when the One Ring message appears?
    edited November 11

Hey! It worked! I finally created the ancillary of the King of Gondor using Aragorn, and the game didn't crashed. By the way, if you have played Third Age Total War, do you know when the One Ring message appears?
    Ah, I need to tell one more thing. I don't remember if I did this before starting my Gondor campaign. But I did this:
    (read carefully what I will tell you here)

Before starting the campaign, I entered the file "descr_strat.txt" in the world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt. Then, I was "checking" the file and I saw this:
    character	Mauthak, named character, male, age 22, x 298, y 124				;south gorgoroth
    traits LoyaltyStarter 1 , GoodCommander 1, BattleDread 1 , NightBattleCapable 1
    ;ancillaries one_ring
    army
    unit		Uruk Bodyguards				exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit		Orc Band				exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    So, the problem starts here. I thought that ";ancillaries one_ring" would gave Mauthak the One Ring. But, IIRC, none of the generals have the One Ring. So, I think this thing triggers or activates the One Ring script. So, I have been playing for 59, 58, turns... around there, and the One Ring still doesn't appear. So, this is what I did:
    character	Mauthak, named character, male, age 22, x 298, y 124				;south gorgoroth
    traits LoyaltyStarter 1 , GoodCommander 1, BattleDread 1 , NightBattleCapable 1
    army
    unit		Uruk Bodyguards				exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit		Orc Band				exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

I mean, I deleted ";ancillaries one_ring". But, I added it, because I think this is the damage I caused. I have been reading a lot of websites searching when the One Ring appears, and most people says that it appears around turn 60 or 50. I hope that I will get the event soon. If you have a friend who know this very well or some developer of the mod, or a useful website of this topic, please reply my message. :D
    The semi colon in front of the line means that the instructions were ignored - no ancillary was given. You basically removed a line that had no function to start with. It's called 'commenting' - anything after the semi colon has no function other then info value for scripters.

If memory serves the original concept of one character having the ring at the beginning was later changed to the ring 'appearing', hence why this line was 'commented out'.
    author.png
    edited November 12

The semi colon in front of the line means that the instructions were ignored - no ancillary was given. You basically removed a line that had no function to start with. It's called 'commenting' - anything after the semi colon has no function other then info value for scripters.

If memory serves the original concept of one character having the ring at the beginning was later changed to the ring 'appearing', hence why this line was 'commented out'.

The only thing I hope is that I will get the event soon. You can even increase the possibility of it happening. It is in "campaign_script.txt":
    monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionReligion catholic
    and I_CompareCounter ring_timer = 25
    and I_CompareCounter ring_spawned = 0
    and not I_WorldwideAncillaryExists one_ring
    and I_EventCounter ring_destroyed <1
    if I_SettlementOwner Shire = turks
    and RandomPercent <= 8
    set_counter ring_spawned 1
    set_event_counter ring_hobbiton 1
    set_event_counter ring_imladris 0
    set_event_counter ring_anorien 0
    set_event_counter ring_edoras 0
    set_event_counter ring_amroth 0
    set_event_counter ring_hornburg 0
    set_event_counter ring_bree 0
    set_event_counter ring_thranduil 0
    set_event_counter ring_dale 0
    set_event_counter ring_erebor 0
    set_event_counter ring_mithlond 0
    set_event_counter ring_galadhon 0
    set_event_counter ring_thorin 0
    ui_flash_stop
    add_events
    event historic ring_hobbiton
    date 0
    position 95, 248
    end_add_events
    point_at_strat_position 95, 248
    set_counter ring_message 0
    end_if
    if I_SettlementOwner Imladris = egypt
    and RandomPercent <= 8
    set_event_counter ring_hobbiton 0
    set_event_counter ring_imladris 1
    ui_flash_stop</code>
    I think you have to modify it like this:
    monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionReligion catholic
    and I_CompareCounter ring_timer = 25
    and not I_WorldwideAncillaryExists one_ring
    and I_EventCounter ring_destroyed <1
    if I_SettlementOwner Shire = turks
    and RandomPercent <= 99
    set_event_counter ring_hobbiton 1
    set_event_counter ring_imladris 0
    ui_flash_stop</code>
    Just modifying "and RandomPercent <= 1".
    edited November 15
    There are several steps to this monitor:

1. It is based on a timer (ring_timer) that gets triggered and incremented somewhere else. In other words, once the conditions for the start of the timer are met it will take 25 turns for this monitor to get 'active'
    2. It then does a number of cross checks regarding the existence of the ring\ancillary and then 'places the ring' according to a 7% random chance in one of thirteen locations, eg Hobington, moves the camera there and flashes an arrow.

That random placement gets totally upset by the near totally chance (98%) that hobbington will get the ring in every game, instead of one of the other 12 locations - see the list of 'set_event_counter' names.
    In other words - the changing of the chance will not accelerate the appearance of the ring.
    Check where 'ring_timer' is mentioned first, that's what determines the appearance.

You also will have to start a new campaign for changes to take effect.
    author.png

1. It is based on a timer (ring_timer) that gets triggered and incremented somewhere else. In other words, once the conditions for the start of the timer are met it will take 25 turns for this monitor to get 'active'
    2. It then does a number of cross checks regarding the existence of the ring\ancillary and then 'places the ring' according to a 7% random chance in one of thirteen locations, eg Hobington, moves the camera there and flashes an arrow.

That random placement gets totally upset by the near totally chance (98%) that hobbington will get the ring in every game, instead of one of the other 12 locations - see the list of 'set_event_counter' names.
    In other words - the changing of the chance will not accelerate the appearance of the ring.
    Check where 'ring_timer' is mentioned first, that's what determines the appearance.

So basically, I need to check "ring_timer" to make it appear. Maybe I think I messed up the entire campaign, modding descr_strat by deleting ";ancillary one_ring". Or maybe it is due to the creation of a new ancillary. I think that's why the Ring event doesn't trigger or happen. Maybe I should start a new campaign with Gondor. Also, I was getting bored with that campaign and I needed feedback. Thank you for finding the solution to my issue. If I remeber correctly, /world/ modding is not save game compatible. I mean, I will have to delete that savegame.

Thank you so much!
    edited November 15

So basically, I need to check "ring_timer" to make it appear. Maybe I think I messed up the entire campaign, modding descr_strat by deleting ";ancillary one_ring". Or maybe it is due to the creation of a new ancillary. I think that's why the Ring event doesn't trigger or happen. Maybe I should start a new campaign with Gondor. Also, I was getting bored with that campaign and I needed feedback. Thank you for finding the solution to my issue. If I remeber correctly, /world/ modding is not save game compatible. I mean, I will have to delete that savegame.

Thank you so much!
    Ok. I checked the files and I think that's how it works:
    ;#########################One Ring Timer for good factions
    declare_counter ring_timer2
    declare_counter ring_spawned2
    monitor_event FactionTurnStart not FactionReligion catholic
    	and I_CompareCounter sauron_free = 0
    	and FactionIsLocal
    	and I_TurnNumber >= 15
    	inc_counter ring_timer2 1
    	ui_flash_stop
    end_monitor

monitor_conditions I_CompareCounter ring_timer2 = 26
    	set_counter ring_timer2 1
    	set_counter ring_spawned2 0
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnStart not FactionReligion catholic
    	and I_WorldwideAncillaryExists one_ring
    end_monitor
    Maybe, I am incorrect.

"declare_counter ring_timer2"
    (Maybe, it is the activation of the script for good factions.)

"declare_counter ring_spawned2"
    (The Ring spawns in a random city.)

"monitor_event FactionTurnStart not FactionReligion catholic"
    (This message is applies only for good factions.)

"and I_CompareCounter sauron_free = 0"

(I think this tells the console that Sauron is not present yet.)

"and FactionIsLocal"
    (I don't know what that means.)

"and I_TurnNumber >= 15"
    (The turn when the script is activated?)

"inc_counter ring_timer2 1"
    (The thing that triggers the message?)

"ui_flash_stop"
    (The ending of the event?)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

monitor_conditions I_CompareCounter ring_timer2 = 26
    (The timer for the One Ring message will appear in 26 turns?)

(Sauron is not free yet.)

(Ok. THIS THING. THIS THING. This thing what do? This trigger the One Ring message?

set_counter ring_spawned2 0
    (The Ring is not spawned yet.)

Please tell me If I am wrong or something. I am playing as Gondor. Not as an evil faction. There is a website that completely explains this script? Or where I can ask Baron Samedi? So, he can explain me this confusing script.
    Unfortunately you missed a small detail - you are analyzing ring_timer2 not the simple ring_timer.
    author.png

Unfortunately you missed a small detail - you are analyzing ring_timer2 not the simple ring_timer.

They are basically the same. Obviously, the Ring appears in different settlements depending if you are good or evil faction.
    I think we sorted it out at TWC now?
    author.png

I think we sorted it out at TWC now?

Hey! Fritzvom, I fixed it! But I still don't know what was the problem. I just deleted that game and began a new one. Also, I learned how to speed up the One Ring message.

Check my disccusion here with Gigantus:
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?813707-THE-ONE-RING-SCRIPT-NOT-WORKING&p=16062723#post16062723

Thank you for everything! Now I learned that if the game is corrupted, you must undo what you did. :)
    LOL - I am Gigantus. I thought the same signature here and there would have given that away.
    author.png

LOL - I am Gigantus. I thought the same signature here and there would have given that away.

LOL. Anyway, thank you for helping me in both forums. If I find some issue with the campaign, I will reply the TWC Forums disccusion. Hope that the edit that I made works.
    Good luck, feel free to get in touch if you have still issues.
    author.png