Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Snagla Grobspit & Forest Goblins

Red_Dox#2328Red_Dox#2328 Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 6,474

So, in 4th edition Orcs & Goblins rolled out the Goblin diversity into three roles, while scratching older stuff like Half-Orcs. The generic Goblins, the Night Goblins and the Forest Goblins were the result.In short we can put this diversity into three main themes
  • Generic Goblins: Living in Hills, Mountains, and on open plains. Using armor, basic weapons and mainly use wolves as cavalry or for chariots.

• Forest Goblins: Living in Forests. Basically savage with next to no armor and rather crude weapons. They use big Spiders as mounts or big monsters.

• Night Goblins: Live in caves or deep conquered Karaks under the earth and away from the sun. Mostly wearing long robes to avoid sunlight exposure and not much armor. Even if their armor/weapon crafting skills should be on the normal Goblin level. They use Squigs as pets, mounts and warbeasts/monsters.

But now lets look at the Forest Goblins.

Forest Goblin Shamans had, similar to Night Goblins or Savage Orcs, a little special rule

Classic Heroes on Gigantic Spiders (40mm base)

During 4/5th edition we had this article in WD#195.

Since we have no actual timeframe for that, it could have happend every time period where Altdorf was the Empires Capital.

6th edition started with Ravening Hordes, since a new rule system meant they needed a new armylist style. Following the previous armybook, Forest Goblins were still included. So we had Forest goblin Warboss, Big Boss, Shamans and of course Infantry and Spider Cav again.

But then followed the armybook and there stopped the fun.

While briefly mentioned, no Forest Goblins were included in that book. even Spiders were thrown out. No mounts, no cav unit :(

7th edition however came back with a new starting box about a Goblin and Dwarf conflict, which included brand new plastic Spider Riders. The boyz were back!

and afterwards with the new Orcs&Goblin armybook, followed also a new plastic box utilizing the Skullpass designs, but adding some differences.

I want to pick up here some WD 322 sentences, which "build up" the return of the Spiderboyz.

So. while Spider riders were back in the armybook, sadly FG Infantry or characters did not made it. But, at the very least the Goblin entries for characters had the option besides wolves and chariots, also to pick a Gigantic Spider (monstrous beast) mount. So if you wanted you could proxy FG with the generic Goblin entries.
We also got later in the edition a new Gigantic Spider miniature to support the armbook mount choice ;)

In WD 327 they started the "Grombolds Oath" campaign which first sceanrio was a Goblin combo versus Dwarf while they tapped into a Forest goblin theme.

Which of course worked more with Goblin proxies due to the armybook choices :-/ At least it showed that the Forest Goblin theme was once more on their minds.

The 8th edition started now strong with dropping the Arachnarok, further building upon the Forest Goblin theme while adding a new monster choice which became a instant hit with O&G players.

Sadly, the armybook itself continued the 7th edition books trend that gave the characters Spider mount options, but we did not get any "extra" Forest Goblin choices for them or for Infantry. So Spider Cav and the Archnarok were the only "visible" representation. The "Goblin Great Shaman" however had the Archanarok Spidershrine mount option, which with the kits special Forest Goblin Shaman made that a bit more exceptable. And if you did not use the Shaman Spidershrine parts, you had a extra Shaman miniature in your bitzbox.

Interesting sidenote would be his eye-mutation in service of the Spider God.
Of course the two Forest Goblin units would often get paired up with Savage Orcs for a more "savage" themed army.

The armybook however also provided some new lore tailored around the Archnarok

and of course Snagla Grobspit, the 8th edition Forest Goblin character.

Just a Hero choice, but still nice. And for TWW, we have already seen Heroes and other redshirts stepping up to LL...
Noteworthy: Deff Creeper are already an RoR

8th edition "Storm of Magic" added feral versions for all three spider sizes.

8th edition Endtimes had as an example in the 2nd campaign book "Glottkin", the army of Gutrot Spume advancing through the Drakwald. Which of course prompted local greenskins to greet the new tourists properly.

Snagla himself apparently was during the Endtimes also busy. He popped up in the 4th campaign book "Thanquol", and fought on Skarsniks side at K8P.

of course his "artwork" there is a bit useless, since it rather shows the generic Gigantic Spider Warboss/Big Boss we got in 7th edition ;)

it might be noteworthy that the 8th edition armybook map
https://i.imgur.com/lpBRorF.png
places of course a bunch of Forest Goblin tribes into the Empire forests. Where the Drakwald War is still ongoing, even clode to Middenheim ;) We also had a mention of Forest Goblins in the forest of Khuresh.

Basically Forest Goblins could also pop up in Cathay Forests (once we actually learn more about their map region) or maybe the southern Dark Lands which around Gnoblar County
https://i.imgur.com/CWFR1lw.jpg

And that is kinda that. In Age of Sigmar apparently Forest Goblins are also still around, and they got a really nice artwork which works easy within WHFB borders,

GW (future Old World) or CA (Game#3) could easily pick Forest Goblins up, and build a theme around them. While I would stuck to WAAAGH! magic, since they worship the Spider God maybe a new lore or some support spells for the WAAAGH! could be done here on the Shaman front. Forest Goblin Warboss & Big Boss, some extra buffs going around the theme and buffing "their kin". FG Infantry could be on normal Goblin level, but instead of armor we hand over warpaint from the Savage Orcs. We could also hand out poison attacks, since a whole tribe working with spiders should have enough poison around to smear on weapons. Add in a better handling of Forest terrain (see Woodelves) and you have a unit who could compete against the other Goblins. Since the TWW Arachnarok is missing the Webflinger on top, that could be a alternate option. Or maybe a new standalone warmachine ;)

Of course, since the Warboss & Bigboss had the Gigantic Spider option

while several Big Bosses could form up a own unit, a own elite monstrous Spider cav unit is not that far fetched.

And just with that, we would have a short, but strong enough mini roster for a Spider themed Forest Goblin army(stack).
So yes, I could see a Snagla Grobspit DLC for game#3 work out this way.

But we will have to wait and see what comes for game 3.

Similar topics
Chaos

Dark Elves

Dwarfs

Lizardmen

Orcs & Goblins

The Empire

Undead

The Ivory Road
Olde Weirde's Incunabulum 3of5
25 most influential Warhammer characters

-----Red Dox

Comments

• MiniaAr#5798MiniaAr#5798 Registered Users Posts: 1,788
    I'm all in for a forest goblin expanded theme for GS.

I usually build one such army using Raknik Spiderclaw on his Arachnarok, a goblin big boss on a spider, 4 arachnarok and 10 spider riders/spider rider archers + a river trolls ally component (Hag, 2 River trolls and the RoR troll unit). But getting gigantic mounts, proper forest theme for heroes a gigantic spider riders monstrous cavalry units, some FG infantry and maybe an Arachnarok variant owild greatly expand this theme.
  • UberReptilianUberReptilian The Crystal LabyrinthRegistered Users Posts: 5,487

Gimme then now!!!! DLC!!!

• JToegiTheSnotling#6624JToegiTheSnotling#6624 Registered Users Posts: 2,391
    Thanks for the history lesson and I love Forest Goblins. They are so cool. There is a mod that adds all the missing Forest Goblin stuff. It's really great👍
  • Killertut#9655Killertut#9655 Registered Users Posts: 1,110
    1. gimme forest goblin dlc.

2. make spiders climb walls!
  • Neodeinos#5871Neodeinos#5871 Registered Users Posts: 15,857
    I know some new content for the Orcs would probably be more important right now but I'd kill to get a Forest Gobbo DLC.
  • Wyvax#7456Wyvax#7456 Registered Users Posts: 6,208
    Would be pretty cool to get a Forest Goblin LP. Snagla Grobspit, Arachnarok Webflingers, Gigantic Spiders, some form of stealthy hybrid forest gobbo troops perhaps, maybe a FG Warboss with access to bows and perhaps a FG Shaman hero with access to a new Lore of the Spider God sort of like the Eshin Sorcerer. Of course we need a roight propa orcy LP too as well. Why not both eh?
  • busbee247#5862busbee247#5862 Registered Users Posts: 1,323
    I'm gonna be pretty upset if we get to the end of wh3 and 100% of dlc greenskins LLs are goblins....
  • SaurianDruid#4682SaurianDruid#4682 Registered Users Posts: 1,724
    Great write-up. I agree that forest goblins are deserving of a lord pack.

LL: Snagla Grobspit
    L: Forest Goblin Great Shaman (with unique spider god spells)
    H: Forest Goblin Big Boss
    Units:
    Forest Goblin Spearmen
    Monstrous Spider Riders
    Arachnorok Webflingers
    Webflingers (low tier artillery)

Then they could take the spider mounts from the normal goblin heroes and make them more wolf focused while the forest goblin heroes/lords get giant spiders, monstrous spiders, and arachnoroks as mount options.
  • HighPriest_Astragoth#4150HighPriest_Astragoth#4150 Registered Users Posts: 641
    @Red_Dox , you sir are a gem on this form, and honestly, and I really mean this when I say it, you out lore the lore masters on YouTube nearly every time. Like seriously, if you think getting Chaos Dwarf lore is hard, you have not tried to gather up the Forest Goblin or Norse Dwarf lore, its there, and honestly there is a decent amount(such as Red_Dox just posted) but its thrown around in so many different and hard to find places, its so easy to overlook some of the best parts!

All I can say/add to what has been posted, is that I know the lore talks of how some Goblins have begun to mutate, to become more spider-like, as you see with the Forest Goblin Shamans, they have 4+eyes, but there is small lore bits I remember reading that talks of Goblins with more then 2 arms, some have spider limbs, some can even create their own webbing, and my favorite was about this one and only Goblin who was basically a Goblin Centaur, except that "lower" half was of a spiders and not a horse/bull/etc.

AoS has amazingly done the Goblins right, many could easily be ripped out of AoS and put into Fantasy, so let me show one that sadly has already faded away as it was for a runoff game and not the main game(AoS).

I believe GW was a bit afraid to go all in on the Forest Goblin, and so made these to look more like the Night Goblins, this is kinda confirmed when we see the Goblins of AoS are mostly Night Goblins, but there are still Forest Goblins, they just haven't gotten any new models yet(last I checked) but they did get a nice rules and lore update for Christmas 2020, and so I think we will see more in the near future, hopefully ones that can backtrack to Fantasy/Old World.

On Snagla Grobspit, in the End Times it seems that he has been upgraded to a Legendary Lord(Lore Wise) as "his" portrait shows a Gigantic spider mount(can tell from the seat/howdah) and not the Large Spider mount we know he had for Fantasy, so there is official GW lore to upgrade him from Legendary Hero material to Legendary Lord material. :Crosses Fingers: please CA, Forest Goblins deserve their due.

Lastly, I don't think there is any lore for Forest Goblin chariots, but man there should be, they look so damn cool-
    Hear the summons of Hashut!
    The Dark Father calls you to slaughter,
    Blood and fire exhorts you to war!
    Hear the summons of Hashut!
    Stretch your limbs of blood-filed steel,
    The Dawi-Zharr march fourth once more!
    Answering the summons of Hashut!

-From the K'daai rituals of awakening.
  • DarthEnderX-#6513DarthEnderX-#6513 Registered Users Posts: 4,744
    Savage Orcs and Forest Goblins should have their own separate faction in the Southlands.
    "Assassination's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it."
  • Red_Dox#2328Red_Dox#2328 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,474
    For the people "worried" that 3 Goblin DLCs might be too much, or that also there would be still Orc stuff to be implemented, I get you guys. But, it Was CAs choice to start the game with Grimgor (obvious) and Azhag (less obvious), to then add Wurrzag as FLC., Skarsnik as first DLC against Belegar worked fine, and Gom against Eltharion also worked lie a charme. In fact: Greenskins had so far "the best" actual rival DLCs, while pairings of other races often look a bit random. Even if for their story purposes it might work out.
    Anyway, we could maybe still have enough greenskin stuff left to fill 2 DLCs at the end. So Forest Goblins might work out fine, but could not be the highest priority aynway. If ever to work out. Its not as CA would have so far walked the extra mile in Forest Goblin favor ;)

As a thought experiment, we could easily try to fill two DLCs. Orcs&Goblins are pretty liberal in their WAAAGH!s, so while we can tailor around a specific LL, he might also be able to field generic stuff. And while it became practically a meme that a DLC has to include a "big center piece", we had enough DLCs were that was not happening. So lets give it a spin.

For the topics purpose, I start with a Forest Goblin LL. Snagla would sound logical, but we could also pick a random lore name which CA can build up or they just create one from scratch. If Warboss or Great Shaman probably does not matter either. So I go a different road
    • LL will be a FG Great Shaman created by CA. That is a bit more different compared to Skarsniks & Groms melee playstyle and might work better with some DLC story about the Spider God chosing the LL to do task X. Mount choices of course Gigantic Spider and later Arachnarok Spidershrine.
    • Lord: FG Warboss on Gigantic Spider and maybe Arachnarok later. We don't really have a Arachnarok mount option for melee characters but when Wulfrik can ride a Mammoth and Settra a Sphinx...An alternative could be the Savage Orc Great Shaman.
    • Hero: Either FG Big Boss or Savage Orc Big Boss or FG Shaman.
    Both Lord & Hero choices can either deal with closing holes in the roster while dealing with redundancy or try to be good additions to whatever LL is chosen. If Snagla would be the DLC LL, a FG Warboss would made less sense. While the relationship with Savage Orcs is for a Forest Goblin themed DLC still a good chance to close the missing Orc Great Shaman spot either way. If a FG Big Boss would get a Gigantic Spider and some FG buffs to help the rest of the DLC he could be more interesting the a Savage Orc Big Boss. In case of a generic FG Great Shaman Lord choice I think we will have no luck since we got the free Arachnarok Mount update for the generic Goblin Great Shaman.
    • We start the unit count with monstrous cav Spider Rider elites. O&G had no actual unit for that, so we fill here a certain spot. And while maybe not every race needs every unit, Greenskins are in general allrounders, so it works out. Also: With Goblins on the monstrous Beasts its not like they would play in the same league as Khorne Skullcrushers ;) At best they might end up less armored then Demigryphs or Kislev Bears, while compensating with poison attacks, maybe Warpaint and probably better movement in difficult terrain.
    • Forest Goblin Infantry. Possible Handweapon+Shield; Spears+Shield; Great Weapon; Archers. Add Poison dmg, better Forest movements and possible Warpaint wardsave.
    • Savage Orc Big Stabbaz

Might be a weird unit but we talk about Savage Orcs.
    We could add a fourth entry, but I am unsure what to put in to close the deal (Webflinger warmachines?). And depending on the FG Infantry variants, might not be necessary if we get a broad spectrum there. The Rogue Idol would have fitted like a gem, but that went to Grom.

OK, now we assume another DLC with some Orc.
    • We go with Morglum Necksnapper who wants to paint the east green. So we get a Black Orc + Boar mount and we could throw in a Wyvern at the end.
    • Black Orc Warboss or Goblin Warboss might be good associated Lords for what is to come looking at the Dark Lands/Eastern Steppes. The Orc Great Shaman however could close a certain hole in the roster.
    • For the Hero choice, we could pick whatever to close what holes we have left. I would go with the Night Goblin Big Boss for later reasons.
    Since Morglum might lead a mixed WAAAGH! its really up to what holes might not be closed then in the character roster and what CA seems most fit accounting to the included units or for example in case of "future" stuff. Hbgoblins will come at least for Chaos Dwarfs, which will include a Wolf riding Lord/Hero there. Which ever DLC comes forst can cash in here, while the following DLC might have a more troublesome time selling basically the same unit with slightly different textures as "new" addition ;)
    • Goblin Spear Chukka
    • Colossal Squig
    • Squig Gobba
    • Bonegrinder Giant
    So we reached the problematic part here. We miss a lot of "Goblin" stuff while Orc stuff is mostly done. I know, weapon variants on Orcs are a problem. But would you really want to get Black Orcs with Shields sold as a DLC unit? I could hear us complain about such a ripoff right now, and rightfully so. We can certainly rather exchange some Squigs with the Savage Orc Big Stabba unit from the FG DLC. But Squigs are also not that fitting if we want to theme the FG DLC more appropriate. I thought about adding Iron Orcs, but that is more a Bretonnia problem and far away. Also with kinda uncertain aspects how to go for it. A new Orc core Warriors ranging around Big'uns up to Black Orc stats?Sounds a bit much.
    Grom got rid of Trolls & Rogue Idol which would have been a good mix. So whats left for a "Orc" DLC is a bit...weird. But I am open to suggestions. CA & GW *could* of course starting to create new units out of thin air. But not that sure what we could get here since Greenskins cover most armybook roles areas already.

------Red Dox
  • Red_Dox#2328Red_Dox#2328 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,474
    edited October 2021

@Red_Dox , you sir are a gem on this form, and honestly, and I really mean this when I say it, you out lore the lore masters on YouTube nearly every time. Like seriously, if you think getting Chaos Dwarf lore is hard, you have not tried to gather up the Forest Goblin or Norse Dwarf lore, its there, and honestly there is a decent amount(such as Red_Dox just posted) but its thrown around in so many different and hard to find places, its so easy to overlook some of the best parts!

Meh, I also miss stuff here and there. Can't know everything, so sometimes I have to add stuff later after I learned about it by getting it pointed out, or just flipping through old WDs and seeing something new ;) Or what also happens, I know something and forget about it while building a topic and restructure it from time to time before letting it fly. In this specific case after I made the topic later that evening I even thought about two things I forget.
    Once would be pointing out that for a weird reason the Grom DLC artwork had this here as the winning screen.

I found it always curious after finishing the Grom DLC back then, even if the weird thing with Groms fingers was more urgent. I mean we have Spider Cav and Arachnarok and just got the new Spidershrine Mount option for the Goblin Shaman. So Forest Goblins at his side might not be that weird but still, seeing them there without having actual FG characters or Infantry...

On a similar note about Grom, I forgot to include the 8th edition armybook part about his WAAAGH through the Empire which also sparked increased activity from the Forest tribes.

Also noteworthy that regarding genral WHFB lore, I might know more then the average person but of course lack certain aspects. Like Elves, Bretonnia or Lizardmen for example are not really my strong suit since I just find them not that interesting. While as a TT Goblin & Daemon player, I might have a better field of expertise there naturally. So thanks for the kind word but some of the youtubers also do good work. And while we compliment people, also a shout out for the people still keeping the main wiki updated despite the "killing of the world".

All I can say/add to what has been posted, is that I know the lore talks of how some Goblins have begun to mutate, to become more spider-like, as you see with the Forest Goblin Shamans, they have 4+eyes, but there is small lore bits I remember reading that talks of Goblins with more then 2 arms, some have spider limbs, some can even create their own webbing, and my favorite was about this one and only Goblin who was basically a Goblin Centaur, except that "lower" half was of a spiders and not a horse/bull/etc.

AoS has amazingly done the Goblins right, many could easily be ripped out of AoS and put into Fantasy, so let me show one that sadly has already faded away as it was for a runoff game and not the main game(AoS).

Yeah I knew about the Silver Tower "mutants", but its AoS.
    https://ageofsigmar.fandom.com/wiki/Warhammer_Quest_Silver_Tower
    https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/197572/warhammer-quest-silver-tower
    And its a Tzeentch tower so I would assume the "Grot Scuttlings" there, are more Chaos twisted captives then a new evolutionary strain from actual Goblins ;) Apparently not even GW did much out of them so I would not put to much hopes into "Forest Goblin mutants with 8 limbs". Even as the mutated Spidershrine Shaman could be taken as an indicator that it might not be impossible for WHFB.

Lastly, I don't think there is any lore for Forest Goblin chariots, but man there should be, they look so damn cool-

Spider Chariots are usually conversions for the Wolf-Chariots. No actual rules or WHFB unit existed. And Chariots in forests are always a bit suspect, even if Beastmen show that it would not be that uncommon. As said, usually they were conversions to go with a more themed approach when including "Wolf-Chariots" in a Goblin army which might have been themed around Forest goblins. Here is a prime example

------Red Dox
  • Captain_Rex#1635Captain_Rex#1635 Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 37,664
    I would kill for a Forest Gobbo LP. Also completely forgot about the Webflinger.

- Snagla
    - Forest Gobbo Warboss
    - Forest Gobbo Shaman
    - Arachnarok Webflinger
    - Gigantic Spiders (monstrous cav)
    - Forest Gobbo Warriors
    - Forest Gobbo Spearmen
    - Forest Gobbo Archers

Would also be cool if they are a GS subrace like the Savage Orcs.
    Summon the Elector Counts!
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 14,927
    edited October 2021
    I do think a DLC just for the Forest Goblins might be IS prudent. But I do place it second to a dedicated Orc DLC. Mostly because we already have 2 Goblin lead, if not focused, DLCs.
    Furthermore, I consider that Daemon Prince must be removed.
  • Captain_Rex#1635Captain_Rex#1635 Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 37,664
    Crossil said:

I do think a DLC just for the Forest Goblins might be IS prudent. But I do place it second to a dedicated Orc DLC. Mostly because we already have 2 Goblin lead, if not focused, DLCs.

While I agree that we need an Orc LP, most remaining units are Goblins anyways except the Big Stabba.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we see Spear Boyz and Orc Bosses (Champion Unit) tho.
    Summon the Elector Counts!
  • LennoxPoodleLennoxPoodle Registered Users Posts: 1,684
    Crossil said:

It's very different if we look at LL though! Here we have exactly one for every prominent subtype except Forest Gobbos.
    Snagla provides an interesting opportunity as he could be a "stealth lord" for the Greenskins, similar to Alith Anar or Snikch. Furthermore a mounted Stealth Guy is rather unique!
    I'd probably make him melee with a limited ammo precursor missile (his Javelin) and mounted by default, not unlike Tiktaq'to. Mount options would have to be the default Giant Spider and possibly a Gargantuan Spider "upgrade" (possibly ridding him of stalk though).
    It certainly would give him campaign mechanics that allow relatively easy undedected existence in enemy territory. Amongst other stuff this could involve hidden encampment stance (possibly involving buffed global recruitment, representing Snagla's ability to draw in local tribes).

Unit wise there isn't much left for the GS and we could fit in a lot of that:
    -The various big squig variants are probably out for now, not being on brand.
    -Flinger Arachnaroks are obvious and low effort. They could even be accompanying FLC.
    -Not sure about making a standalone Flinger though, as it feels redundant and non-mobile artillery so isn't that thematic for Fobbos.
    -In Snagla's discussion I already mentioned Gargantuan Spiders, which certainly should come as mount option for the mandatory generic character. I'm not to sure about a unit variant though. I guess you could distinguish them from the existing roster by making 'em monstrous melee cavalry, maybe AL. Don't really see a spider trampling anyone down.
    -Similarly Forest Goblin infantry would have to get their own niche. I guess the GS still don't have proper Skirmisher Missiles. Give them strider, a loose formation, low entity count for goblins, poisonous missiles and good mobility and you might be onto something. Maybe even decent-ish melee stats. I don't really see justification for melee variants, considering the already existing spread of Goblin infantry. I guess you could include an AL variant.
    Having dealt with all FG stuff that comes to mind we can move on to adjacent units.
    -@Red_Dox 's OP already explores the rather common (suprised me tbh) relationship of Savage Orcs and Forest Goblins. So the last remaining savage unit outside spear variants, the big stabba is perfect. What's not to love about a high charge bonus, AP-AL, melee weapon team. Charge them in the biggest thing you can find and don't let them be charged themselves.
    -The other thing in this category is the Spear Chucka, which should probably be renamed being a derogatory term in some parts and all. It isn't very forest themed at all, but a Goblin unit nonetheless. Probably would've been better for Grom. It would also bring some much needed anti large to the Greenskins.
  • JToegiTheSnotling#6624JToegiTheSnotling#6624 Registered Users Posts: 2,391
    I want Greenskins to get two more lord packs and one flc. Is it too optimistic?? Yeah but I got hope!!

Forest Goblin dlc with Snagla Grobspit.

Orc dlc with Gorbad Ironclaw.

Gorfang Rotgut as an flc.
  • UberReptilianUberReptilian The Crystal LabyrinthRegistered Users Posts: 5,487
    Jote191 said:

I want Greenskins to get two more lord packs and one flc. Is it too optimistic?? Yeah but I got hope!!

CA listen to this. This is beautiful, just add Savage Orc Lords and Orc Great Shaman's as FLC ala Great Bray's and we're perfect to go!
    Jote191 said:

Considering the good place Greenskins are in the amount of races waiting for their own WH3 DLC, I'd say it is.
    If we got only one DLC or even just FLC(I hope not!!!) we'd end up with a rather decent spread of LL that could cover all subtypes:
    Azhag - Orc
    Grimgor - Black Orc
    Wurrzag - Savage Orc
    Grom - Goblin
    Skarsnik - Night Goblin
    Remaining LL - hopefully Forest Goblin

More would ofc be great, but looking at the bigger picture it doesn't seem very warranted.
  • PoorManatee6197#6481PoorManatee6197#6481 Registered Users Posts: 2,552
    I understand the people complaining about goblins taking all the DLCs but honestly what are orcs missing appart from weapon variants?

A orc lord pack would be more of a bit of everything lord pack: Orc LL, generic lord and hero orc option (either standard, savage or black), and then for the units idk something like collosal squig, spear chukka and big stabbaz.

What orcs really need is FLC weapon and lord/hero variants, not DLC.
    #MakeDwarfsGreatAgain Josef Bugman, Thorek Ironbrow, Alrik Ranulfsson, Grimm Burloksson, Kazador Thunderhorn, Byrrnoth Grundadrakk, Malakai Makaisson, Gotrek Gurnisson, Garagrim, Dragon slayer, Deamon slayer, Doomseekers, Brotherhood of Grimnir, Giant slayers, Thunderbarge, Shieldbearer mount, Master brewer, Goblin Hewer, Norse dwarf war mammoth, Tractator engine, Rune golem, Shard dragon, proper Anvil of Doom, Ulther's dragon company, Lond Drong's slayer pirates, Everguard, Karak Varn, Karag Agrilwutraz, Karaz Bryn, Karag Dum, Karak Vlag, Kraka Dorden, Kraka Ornsmotek, Kraka Ravnsvake, Karak Vrag, Karak Azorn, Karak Krakaten.

All those missing things are grudges in the great book, is in your hand to settle them, CA. Khazukan kazakit-ha!

IT'S HOBGOBBO TIME!!!!!!!
    #JusticeForKurgan
  • Killertut#9655Killertut#9655 Registered Users Posts: 1,110
    j hope that at some point we get ll mega packs.
    with few to no additional units, but 4 or 6 legendary lords or legendary heroes to get notable people in the game.
    this could help in getting a forest goblin dlc with units and a couple of orc ll's in this new dlc format.
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 14,927
    edited November 2021

I understand the people complaining about goblins taking all the DLCs but honestly what are orcs missing appart from weapon variants?

A orc lord pack would be more of a bit of everything lord pack: Orc LL, generic lord and hero orc option (either standard, savage or black), and then for the units idk something like collosal squig, spear chukka and big stabbaz.

If anything, I think you answered your own question. Character option based Orc DLC is a viable option, in my opinion. Especially so if they add several versions based around individual groups of Orcs. So more varieties for the Orc Great Shaman and Warbosses,

The Big Stabba is the big one, but I don't see what would be the problem if they also added the Colossal Squig here, rather than with the Forest Goblins who in turn don't connect to Squigs.

For the rest, I'm not entirely sure. Perhaps Orc Bullies as some form of support Orc infantry? Gets the Gobbos in order and in smaller numbers ala Aspiring Champions. Alternatively, just add the Spear Chukka and call it a day.

To be honest, the thing such a DLC should focus on is lord character options for Orcs, imo. All those varieties are missing as is and I do think Orcs are more natural leaders than Goblins.

For Forest Goblins, I think the focus would probably be Forest Goblins being re-invented here. They are wholesale missing as is, and from the 8th ed armybook, so they would get the Forest Goblin inf and range with stalk, Gigantic Spider Riders, FG character options and so on. If they really need extra, I would suggest leaving the Spear Chukka for here and leaving the Mangler Squigs with the Orcs, or vice versa.
    Furthermore, I consider that Daemon Prince must be removed.
  • John_KimbleJohn_Kimble Registered Users Posts: 1,535
    LL: Snagla Grobspit
    - Forest Goblin Great Shaman with new Lore of the Spider God (Giant Spider, GIgantic Spider, Arachnorok Mount)
    - Forest Goblin Big Boss (Giant Spider + Gigantic Spider mount)
    - Forest Goblin Spears (Stalk, AL, Poison, Phys. Res)
    - Forest Goblin Archers (Stalk, AL, Poison)
    - Arachnorok Web Flinger
    - Gigantic Spider Riders (monstrous cav, low unit count, poison, Anti Inf, Phys Res, Strider)
    - Big Stabba

Snagla starts in Kuresh in game 3s map (assuming we get a tiny piece south of Cathay), and in Black Pit in the Combined map. Unique spider shrines mechanic, forest protection ecc, could be similar to the WEs. Some unique mechanics with spiders and webs as well, that affect the campaign maps and enemy settlements.

This would also bring in Wall-climbing for all spider rider units.

FLC: Gorfang Rotgut

This is the way.
  • SaurianDruid#4682SaurianDruid#4682 Registered Users Posts: 1,724

Snagla provides an interesting opportunity as he could be a "stealth lord" for the Greenskins, similar to Alith Anar or Snikch. Furthermore a mounted Stealth Guy is rather unique!
    I'd probably make him melee with a limited ammo precursor missile (his Javelin) and mounted by default, not unlike Tiktaq'to. Mount options would have to be the default Giant Spider and possibly a Gargantuan Spider "upgrade" (possibly ridding him of stalk though).

I dunno about losing stalk. Do you remember Shelob from The Lord of the Rings? Particularly the movies. She was massive and still incredibly quiet when she was stalking Frodo from above.

Plus sneaking up on someone with a spider the size of a truck sounds like the pinnacle of Greenskins stealth to me. Surprise! You're being eaten!
  • drclaw_twdrclaw_tw Registered Users Posts: 289
    Great post. I love forest goblins so much.
  • drclaw_twdrclaw_tw Registered Users Posts: 289

Exactly. if I want an orc playthrough I go with grimgor, azhag, or wurzhag. I don't know if having a couple of other variants of black orcs will change much for me.
  • RyanSewell#2107RyanSewell#2107 Registered Users Posts: 236
    That chart at the end shows how many generic lord/hero choices Orcs are missing. It's a shame that DLC pack wouldn't sell very well but it's sorely needed to flesh them out.

I dunno about losing stalk. Do you remember Shelob from The Lord of the Rings? Particularly the movies. She was massive and still incredibly quiet when she was stalking Frodo from above.

Plus sneaking up on someone with a spider the size of a truck sounds like the pinnacle of Greenskins stealth to me. Surprise! You're being eaten!
    It was more of a gameplay consideration. I wanted him to loose something when taking the bigger, stronger mount, so that it's not (only) a straight upgrade. Bring in some meaningful decision making! Also he'd probably still have vanguard deployment and certainly hide in forest.

Btw, for HS characters I'd like a rework from the ground up. Basically give both Orcs and Goblins shaman and boss lords and heroes each. So you have 4 lords and 5 heroes (thanks to the Hag). Starting from those base variants you get subtypes as slight modifications showing up in the same recruitment pool, a bit like DE and Zombie Pirate weapon variants. So in the Goblin big boss tab you find normal, forest and night ones.
    As mentioned before, those variants would be build based on the normal Orc/Goblin by tweaking weapons(say chopper n' board for Orc, big choppa for Black Orc and dual Choppa for Savage Orc), stats (like +armor, +AP, -base Dmg and no missile resist for Black Orc), base abilities (like Ward Save for Savage Orc), Mount Options (Gobbo:Wolf, Fobbo:Spider and Catchweb Arachnarok for GS, Nobbo:Squig) and one or two (mostly or even only red line) skills.
    So we get a total of 8 GS characters with slight sub variants.
  • Morpic_TideMorpic_Tide Registered Users Posts: 111
    A definite thing to do is to have the faction give a simply better Poison as a Scrap upgrade to standard Goblin and Forest Goblin units. This makes it so you don't need separate Forest Goblin line infantry, and it can include the Wolf Riders for the "feel" coming online a bit sooner and at much better missile damage cost-effectiveness (except maybe Dwarfs?).

For the standard unit additions, I'd go with giving the Gigantic Spider a Bows vs. Great Weapons split, ending up with different Charge Bonus but not Melee Defense. Throw in javelin-chucking anti-Large Goblins versus bow as the omnidirectional skirmishers. Finish with t5 Arachnarok variants, being those with assorted catapults.

I'd want the introduced Hero to be the Forest Goblin Shaman for the very specific reason of a Catchweb Spidershrine reliant caster, with their independent value being in boosting and summoning spiders. Basically representing the primary suppliers of Gigantic Spiders, with the relevant skills given to Raknik for consistency.

Not... Actually entire sure what niche there is for a Forest Goblin Lord, in the generic case? Best idea is for them to be an archer, but that's really out of place for Greenskins Lords. Maybe the spider-gob as a hybrid Lord? But that fits too much better as LL material and Raknik remodeling...
  • Labria#2848Labria#2848 Registered Users Posts: 2,233
    I think Forest Goblin theme lord pack with Snagla Grobspit make sense for final Greenskins lord pack in Warhammer 3. I really doubt any race from previous games will get more than just 1 lord pack a few FLC stuff in Warhammer 3.

Khuresh/South Cathay is perfect place for Snagla Grobspit. I think we will get Greenskins vs Cathay cross lord pack in far future.

I can imagine 3rd Greenskins lord pack will have these missing stuff:
    • Legendary lord: Snagla Grobspit
    • Generic lord: Forest Goblin Warboss with bow
    • Generic hero: Forest Goblin Shaman with new lore of magic
    • Units: Forest Goblins, Spider Riders on Gigantic Spiders, Arachnarok Spider with with flingers, Goblin Spear Chukka, Colossal Squig and Squig Gobba.
    • FLC stuff: Savage Orc Great Shaman, Savage Orcs with Big Stabbas and FLC legendary lord(Gtilla da Hunter or Morglum Necksnapper)