Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

What history period (completely new) - would you like to see in TW?

Cabbini93Cabbini93 Registered Users Posts: 22

What history period (completely new) - would you like to see in TW?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• CommisarCommisar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,980
    1492-1700
    P&S totally, time period that CA has the set up to run a game that would look and feel like the time period as well compared to later. We sort of already have the bronze age with Troy.
  • VikingHuscal1066VikingHuscal1066 Registered Users Posts: 2,286
    1492-1700
    Commisar said:

P&S totally, time period that CA has the set up to run a game that would look and feel like the time period as well compared to later. We sort of already have the bronze age with Troy.

Meh, I'd prefer an Empire 2 that just starts a bit earlier than Empire 1 did. Maybe starting in like 1680-1690, and go to 1800.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,895
    from the options given I took the "TW Victoria" option

though technically FotS play during that time frame but I'm sure that doesn't count here.

Other then that:
    Both of the WW's just wait for TW.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
    1492-1700

Meh, I'd prefer an Empire 2 that just starts a bit earlier than Empire 1 did. Maybe starting in like 1680-1690, and go to 1800.

Wouldn't be a new time period if it's covering empire.
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Registered Users Posts: 2,148
    None, i would like to see a medieval 3 starting around 800/900 ad
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 4,238
    1492-1700
    1492-1700. I don't necessarily want a campaign set between those exact dates, but somewhere in the middle would be great. 1530 - 1650 would be a sweet spot I think. Plenty of interesting conflicts between those dates too, across all of Europe and beyond so you'd action all over the map; the Eighty Years' War, Thirty Years' War, French Wars of Religion, the English Civil Wars (and the wider Wars of the Three Kingdoms), etc. You'd also have the Ottoman-Hapsburg rivalry, the rise of Sweden as a Great Power, the rise of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, the Reformation, a renewal of the Italian Wars (and a potential early Italian Unification), etc.

4 turns per year over 120 years, would give you 480 turns, which is quite long. So some there could be potential there for DLC like the "Chapter Packs" from TW: Three Kingdoms. 3 or 4 different start dates, with vastly different starting geopolitical situations in each.
    1492-1700
    Commisar said:

Well, I'd rather get a TW game that has a slightly similar time period than going any further forward than Napoleon's day. Because the TW games work best when there's a balance between ranged and melee units, and I'm pretty sure Empire 2 could allow for some nice variety in terms of what armies could do beyond just the Europeans.
  • Horus89Horus89 Registered Users Posts: 211
    1492-1700
    Thirty Years' War
    1492-1700

Commisar said:

Well, I'd rather get a TW game that has a slightly similar time period than going any further forward than Napoleon's day. Because the TW games work best when there's a balance between ranged and melee units, and I'm pretty sure Empire 2 could allow for some nice variety in terms of what armies could do beyond just the Europeans.
    That's why you can vote for two earlier periods in this poll, but it is about new settings and Empire isn't new.
    1492-1700
    Commisar said:

That's why you can vote for two earlier periods in this poll, but it is about new settings and Empire isn't new.

Well, the 1492 to 1700 would mostly cover the time period I'm talking about for an Empire 2, though I would just think it would be from maybe 1600-1650 to 1800 instead.

I just think that it'd be nice for the game to offer as many interesting options beyond just the European factions.
    1492-1700

Commisar said:

Well, the 1492 to 1700 would mostly cover the time period I'm talking about for an Empire 2, though I would just think it would be from maybe 1600-1650 to 1800 instead.

I just think that it'd be nice for the game to offer as many interesting options beyond just the European factions.
    It really wouldn't though. With the focus of such a period will be on European factions which will get the coverage and there wont be much of the rest of the world getting covered.
    1492-1700
    Commisar said:

It really wouldn't though. With the focus of such a period will be on European factions which will get the coverage and there wont be much of the rest of the world getting covered.

You seem to forget that these are sandbox games dude. And you're also not thinking of DLCs and such.

Because I would think that instead of just getting a couple of basic factions, we'd actually get map expansions with DLC for and Empire 2 that would expand the campaign map to be mostly global in scale.
    1492-1700

You seem to forget that these are sandbox games dude. And you're also not thinking of DLCs and such.

Because I would think that instead of just getting a couple of basic factions, we'd actually get map expansions with DLC for and Empire 2 that would expand the campaign map to be mostly global in scale.

No I don't. I know how the game mechanics will be driving and the focus they'd take the game with. Map expansions are likely to happen, but looking at small changes and not bringing say entirely new continents.

It wouldn't go global with the focus on that time period as that's not what that time period is about.
    1492-1700
    Commisar said:

No I don't. I know how the game mechanics will be driving and the focus they'd take the game with. Map expansions are likely to happen, but looking at small changes and not bringing say entirely new continents.

It wouldn't go global with the focus on that time period as that's not what that time period is about.

That's ridiculous dude.

They're not just going to make a game then not expand upon it with DLCs and such.

And if they can give some map expansions to 3K, they can sure as hell add those in with the DLCs for an Empire 2.

Because the thing someone like you tries to ignore is the fact that making a historical TW game won't be nearly as hard as making a fantasy one.

I mean, it's pretty obviously that a lot of work goes into making all the various different fantasy races in the TW Warhammer games, but when it's historical TW games, they're all just humans factions, with some different clothes on.

So a lot more work could be put into the DLC packs to expand the map rather than trying to reinvent the wheel in terms of bring in new units and such.

Because if Warhammer 3 can end up as a nearly global TW game, so can Empire 2, for the most part.

Because there were other factions and nations that were doing stuff around the 1600s that weren't in Europe, so that doesn't really hold too much water.
    1492-1700

That's ridiculous dude.

They're not just going to make a game then not expand upon it with DLCs and such.

And if they can give some map expansions to 3K, they can sure as hell add those in with the DLCs for an Empire 2.

Because the thing someone like you tries to ignore is the fact that making a historical TW game won't be nearly as hard as making a fantasy one.

I mean, it's pretty obviously that a lot of work goes into making all the various different fantasy races in the TW Warhammer games, but when it's historical TW games, they're all just humans factions, with some different clothes on.

So a lot more work could be put into the DLC packs to expand the map rather than trying to reinvent the wheel in terms of bring in new units and such.

Because if Warhammer 3 can end up as a nearly global TW game, so can Empire 2, for the most part.

Because there were other factions and nations that were doing stuff around the 1600s that weren't in Europe, so that doesn't really hold too much water.

Again we run in to you not reading. I didn't say they wouldn't use DLCs.

Again I didn't say they couldn't do map extensions. 3K shows how they would do it, looking at them adding a handful of provinces, not entire continents as I said. It's more fleshing areas out that they hadn't done before.

No I don't, I know how much effort and the focus the team put in on the game. It's why 3K didn't expand the map to include Europe, India or Japan. Just because they have less animations to make than fantasy titles, they have a lot more issues in research and design. Real world nations don't have the convenient set of army books with images of their forces.

No it can't. First WH3 isn't even covering all of the WH world from what I've seen, even with DLCs it's not going to be able to cover all of it. Second it will require you owning the 2 previous games to do that.Again CA is not going to release another 2 games to fill out the map and dilute the game experience of the historical title, gutting it of the main conflicts on the period and removing large numbers of factions. They also wont be spending 8+ years doing just one time period for History.

Yes it does, same way the Shogun, Rome, Medieval, Empire, ToB, Troy and 3K haven't covered all of the world despite them doing their own thing, they aren't part of the focus of the game and it's setting. They do the map and post release content to build on their focus of the title.
  • bilbobaggins764bilbobaggins764 Registered Users Posts: 139
    American civil war
  • talonntalonn Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,586
    None of the above. Early feudal / medieval is still the best settings for me
  • Lotor12Lotor12 Registered Users Posts: 653
    1492-1700
    Pike and Shot 1500 - 1699

It is my second favourite historical period after Classical antiquity (Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome)

So interesting and dramatic period - age of renesaince, 30 years war, reformation within christian church, Cossacks uprising in Ukraine, Ottoman expansion in to Europe, Dutch war of independence, Cardinal Richelieu in France...
  • virginia1861virginia1861 Registered Users Posts: 297
    The first choice is feudalism
    1492-1700
    Commisar said:

No it can't. First WH3 isn't even covering all of the WH world from what I've seen, even with DLCs it's not going to be able to cover all of it. Second it will require you owning the 2 previous games to do that.Again CA is not going to release another 2 games to fill out the map and dilute the game experience of the historical title, gutting it of the main conflicts on the period and removing large numbers of factions. They also wont be spending 8+ years doing just one time period for History.

Yes it does, same way the Shogun, Rome, Medieval, Empire, ToB, Troy and 3K haven't covered all of the world despite them doing their own thing, they aren't part of the focus of the game and it's setting. They do the map and post release content to build on their focus of the title.

You should take your own advice and read what I say as well.

Warhammer 3 will end up covering most of the map dude, so quit trying to act like it won't be possible for CA do it with a historical TW game, when all they have to do is make human factions.

And really, who says that they have to "dilute" the map or gameplay experience to such a ridiculous degree. So quit trying to make it seem like it's an impossible task.

CA could easily make the finished campaign map for an Empire 2 stretch from Japan in the east to roughly the Mississippi river in the west and not have it be super "diluted" or whatever. They could even incorporate Africa as well.

They could basically take all of what they wanted to do back in Empire and actually be able to do it and do it far more effectively now then they could back then.
    1492-1700

You should take your own advice and read what I say as well.

Warhammer 3 will end up covering most of the map dude, so quit trying to act like it won't be possible for CA do it with a historical TW game, when all they have to do is make human factions.

And really, who says that they have to "dilute" the map or gameplay experience to such a ridiculous degree. So quit trying to make it seem like it's an impossible task.

CA could easily make the finished campaign map for an Empire 2 stretch from Japan in the east to roughly the Mississippi river in the west and not have it be super "diluted" or whatever. They could even incorporate Africa as well.

They could basically take all of what they wanted to do back in Empire and actually be able to do it and do it far more effectively now then they could back then.

I did. It doesn't cover most of the map as the fans already point out. It's expected to cut and condense even more when the release the combined campaign for it.

Again different games. They can condense the WH world and keep the exact same factions, not for our world. Means cutting out very popular factions as a result. It's also taken them current 6 years over development, 3 games and a lot of DLC to get to that point with the WH line. So far they've never spent that amount of time on a single historical period. No signs they would now especially with a lower selling point.

Yeah they could, but do it detailed? Not really. Not with also looking at profit. Why they didn't do all of Asia for 3K. Or go all the way in to the East with Attila.

Yes they could, but it would be the same scale map as Empire 1. The issue with that map was the lack of depth. They aren't going to want to do that again. It's not much of an upgrade to have a less detailed map.

American civil war

Bit limited for it's own game, even as a Saga.
    Lotor12 said:

Pike and Shot 1500 - 1699

It is my second favourite historical period after Classical antiquity (Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome)

So interesting and dramatic period - age of renesaince, 30 years war, reformation within christian church, Cossacks uprising in Ukraine, Ottoman expansion in to Europe, Dutch war of independence, Cardinal Richelieu in France...

With a lot of the religious elements of this period, how do you think CA could work on that? Most of the time it seems rather bland in TW. Build your religious building and auto convert them. Maybe that could cause unrest?
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,919
    1815-1914
    Considering how much Empire on its own covered a lot of the globe which was around 12 years ago and the fact that the new ME will be 3 times larger in terms of settlements, map size cannot and will not be a problem.

If CA want to do Victoria or any sort of global TW game this will certainly not be an issue for them.
    1492-1700
    Commisar said:

Are you seriously trying to use the "Vortex" map of Warhammer 3 as the exmaple?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

...oh wait, you're probably serious.

I was incredibly OBVIOUSLY talking about how big Warhammer 3's "Immortal Empires" map will be. Which WILL be huge.

And no, not different games, not really. They're all TW games, despite what you might whine.

And you seem to not be able to understand or accept the point I made about how CA would have a much easier time of things with making a historical TW game as compared to a fantasy one. Because that is a true statement, and whether you agree with it or not doesn't matter.

But the bottom line IS that CA could make an Empire 2 with a nearly global map through map expansions that come with the DLC rather than just trying to release super basic faction backs all the time.

So yeah, your whole "they can't do that" excuse of an argument doesn't hold up at all.

With as much hard work has gone into the TW Warhammer games, it'll be easy in comparison to make a TW game that ends up having a nearly global campaign map when all the playable factions are all just humans.
    1492-1700

Are you seriously trying to use the "Vortex" map of Warhammer 3 as the exmaple?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

...oh wait, you're probably serious.

I was incredibly OBVIOUSLY talking about how big Warhammer 3's "Immortal Empires" map will be. Which WILL be huge.

And no, not different games, not really. They're all TW games, despite what you might whine.

And you seem to not be able to understand or accept the point I made about how CA would have a much easier time of things with making a historical TW game as compared to a fantasy one. Because that is a true statement, and whether you agree with it or not doesn't matter.

But the bottom line IS that CA could make an Empire 2 with a nearly global map through map expansions that come with the DLC rather than just trying to release super basic faction backs all the time.

So yeah, your whole "they can't do that" excuse of an argument doesn't hold up at all.

With as much hard work has gone into the TW Warhammer games, it'll be easy in comparison to make a TW game that ends up having a nearly global campaign map when all the playable factions are all just humans.

It might be huge, current estimates based off what CA has said is it wont be all of the WHF world as some areas with factions haven't been announced from what I've read of the WHF lore. But also with what they have said for the province count for Earth, it would be an Empire scale province density.

Yes which isn't part of what was said. They might be TW games but that doesn't mean the worlds are the same, the factions spread out the same and so on. There's a reason why they could fit so many factions in to the DLC campaigns in R2 and Attila for example that didn't make it to the full game. There wasn't the provinces for them, they ended up in the grand campaign as unified factions.

Because it's not. The ease is they don't have to run in through a third party and there's much easier animations. But everything else isn't easier and a lot of it is much harder. They don't have the convenient listing of the army, the heroes and the cities. They don't get the historical events and political views of these nations handed to them like WH does.

Yes they could, it would be really simplistic and likely flop harder than 3K. Again there's reasons why they don't make them global games, why they don't cover areas that don't play a role in the setting of the game.
    1492-1700
    Commisar said:

Quit trying to make excuses dude.

CA can totally make a nearly global game, which is what I said pal.

And whether you like it or not Commisar, all the factions being human does matter, because they'd have a LOT more room to put the budget into other things, such as expanding the campaign map and number of factions that come in DLC packs.

You seem to not want to admit that a lot of work that goes into the TW Warhammer games is all the animations and so on can instead be put to making the campaign map very large without being as condensed as you'd like you believe.

They could put a lot of work into the DLCs to make them more akin to expansion packs rather than trying to spread them out into small faction packs and such. And the fact that they're all just human factions would make the process a lot easier as well.