Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Why I think CA is hiding Hobgoblins

2»

Comments

• Warlord_Lu_BuWarlord_Lu_Bu Registered Users Posts: 2,978
    JungleElf said:

The whole Great Bastion shtick is how it defends against the mighty forces of Chaos.

Wolf-Riders would never be able to penetrate it.

Hobgoblins aren't an option.

Maybe they just go around, like our people did in real life :D
    "I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin
  • ReeksReeks Registered Users Posts: 9,325
    edited December 2021
    Hahaha! the denial in some folks on here are STRONK

Sorry holmes but Slightly Taller Gobbo´s are

ded
    e
    d

No need to do such elaborate mind-gymnastics to cope

Instead just

"Edit typo"

Nurgle is love

Nurgle is life

#JusticeForNurglingForumAvatars
  • VildvargVildvarg Registered Users Posts: 2,683
    Reeks said:

ded
    d
    e
    d

Instead just

Hobgobbos are extremely likely at release Reeks.
  • ReeksReeks Registered Users Posts: 9,325
    Vildvarg said:

Reeks said:

ded
    d
    e
    d

Instead just

Hobgobbos are extremely likely at release Reeks.
    But is it #Confirmed tho Vildvarg?...

Nurgle is love

Nurgle is life

#JusticeForNurglingForumAvatars
  • OdTengriOdTengri Registered Users Posts: 8,225

It's probably hiding +/- diplomatic relations with _______, so let's look at the options:

Or it could easily be Army Bonus vs. Faction (X)
  • SpazMaticusSpazMaticus Registered Users Posts: 74
    Hiding them where? There is no place to hide them...
  • GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 5,806
    JungleElf said:

The whole Great Bastion shtick is how it defends against the mighty forces of Chaos.

A doomstack of PEASANT MOBS overran Helmgartand then tore Altdorf apart a few turns later in my peasant only playthrough.

I'm sure Hobgoblins wouldn't have much trouble with the Great Bastion.
  • ROMOBOYROMOBOY Registered Users Posts: 4,717
    JungleElf said:

Hobgoblins have a mysterious magic involving “wind daemons”. Not to mention gunpowder. I don’t think the mass Hobgoblin Khanate would struggle against the bastion.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Cathay > Chaos Dwarfs = Pain

Eah there's plenty of space for 2 LL's.

• SpazMaticusSpazMaticus Registered Users Posts: 74
    OdTengri said:

And if Hobgoblins are there, why would Miao have traits for them? Makes zero sense.

OdTengri said:

And if Hobgoblins are there, why would Miao have traits for them? Makes zero sense.
    Don't know and don't care... I'm just responding to the Idea that there isn't space for them.

I think that specific idea is wrong.
  • hillbillymachinegunhillbillymachinegun Registered Users Posts: 364
    I don't know, I don't think it's a diplomatic penalty they're hiding.

Being the favorite child, I think it may be something related to the Dragon Emperor. Maybe her faction has exclusive access to some special rite or ability akin to summoning him or his power.

They were pretty heavily downplaying the possibility of the Dragon Emperor or Moon Empress being in game as playable legendary Lords, so I think that's out of the question. But maybe they wanted to keep a more subtle appearance of the Dragon Emperor a surprise?

Just a wild theory, so take it for what you will.
  • Lord_ZarkovLord_Zarkov Registered Users Posts: 1,291
    OdTengri said:

Gash Kadrak as well, that’s where Gorduz Backstabber would likely start if he in.
  • SerkeletSerkelet Member Registered Users Posts: 911
    You know what? It's a possibility. Hobgoblins were mentioned as a threat in one of the blogs CA posted about Cathay's lore.
  • Morpic_TideMorpic_Tide Registered Users Posts: 111
    Eastern Steppes seems to be a province label, geographically there's nothing keeping it from covering the Road to Damnation, Path of Skulls, and Path to the East provinces as a general "corridor". There's also the tribes in the Darklands proper who work with Chaos Dwarfs we could see an LL in.

Also, the Eastern Steppes province seems to border the Great Bastion, making it the perfect place to stick a Hobgoblin lord regardless of implementation if you want them fighting Cathay. Just to the side of the periodic Chaos assaults, able to go around by mountain passes in Bone Road, can roll westward without much mountain pass annoyance.

Cliffs of Death could also work if they're a race pack with the extensions having some focus on an air force, though the "Wind Daemons" justifying such may be dropped as barely-there Early Edition Weirdness to emphasize that they're still nominally Greenskins with access to Waagh lores over spamming new ones.

The western Darklands also work, especially the Blasted Wastes or Zorn Uzkul for relatively quick access to westward expansion. I can't make out the name of the bit of coastline circumventing the High Pass, but that'd be a great "outlet" for expansion, whether Chorf or Hobgoblin. Could even have both if the Hobs reuse the camp mechanic.

Main issue I have with Hobgoblins is basically that the genuinely novel experience people want them for is too easily covered with a Lord Pack, since it so fully centers on just being Not!Mongols. You have to wildly extrapolate from a few Old Lore paragraphs to get enough material for a Campaign Pack.

Sure, Hobhounds exist. Does there exist literally a single piece of official artwork on them? The Wind Daemons are mentioned in like one page of 2nd edition, then a no-show for the rest of the franchise's existence. The starting points are there, but is it worth using a Campaign Pack on them?
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 7,945
    Wind daemons are mentioned in the DoW hobgoblin characters items also.

Definitely agree they’re plenty of room for hobgoblin LLs
  • OddzillaOddzilla Registered Users Posts: 390
    Seriously who's so thirsty for friggin hobgoblins that they actually grasp at straws to convince themselves they're gonna be in the game?

I mean I can understand dosing on copium for things like Nippon or Araby, which have actual creative and gameplay potential, but getting your hopes up for discount Orcs is just perplexing.
  • ROMOBOYROMOBOY Registered Users Posts: 4,717
    Oddzilla said:

Seriously who's so thirsty for friggin hobgoblins that they actually grasp at straws to convince themselves they're gonna be in the game?

I mean I can understand dosing on copium for things like Nippon or Araby, which have actual creative and gameplay potential, but getting your hopes up for discount Orcs is just perplexing.

Lmao if they ever make a Hobgoblin campaign pack, I’m gonna hold you to this.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Cathay > Chaos Dwarfs = Pain

• AbmongAbmong Registered Users Posts: 3,603
    Bretonnia style FLC race makes a lot of sense for Hobgoblins failing (failed) being the preorder.

That or we're going through the five stages of grief like with Araby...
    Something tells me this comment will get a Disagree
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 7,945
    Oddzilla said:

GW pulled entire factions of flying dwarfs and fish elves out of their asses. Are you saying you think it would be hard for them to come up with something worth exploring for hobgoblins?
  • SnakeMajinSnakeMajin Registered Users Posts: 371
    Hobgoblins were indeed mentionned as threats to Cathay in the Zhao Ming blog, and Warhammer Community Cathay blog.

As AIs they would contribute to the experience of Cathay base Lords. There is no point in bringing them later, so it's now as FLC race or never.

But well, I'm not sure they'll be here.
  • JungleElfJungleElf Registered Users Posts: 6,414

Oddzilla said:

GW pulled entire factions of flying dwarfs and fish elves out of their asses. Are you saying you think it would be hard for them to come up with something worth exploring for hobgoblins?
    Only Cathay thus far. The ones you mentioned are AoS. We have no clue if they're willing to do this for Hobgoblins or whatsoever. We DO know how the current map doesn't really take them into consideration (yet), which isn't a good sign.

A whole campaign pack dedicated to them, with a narrative, 4 LL's, a full roster, etc. would be a massive investment.
  • John_KimbleJohn_Kimble Registered Users Posts: 1,325
    Unfortunately I feel like the hobgoblin ship has very much sailed.

As for the hidden bonus of Miao Ying I'm actually quite surprised no one here thinks it could be tied to the realms of Chaos mechanics.
    Personally, i feel its exactly that, something related to the realms, and maybe a bonus or a way that makes it easier for her to access them.
    We still have zero clue on how the realms will work, they have yet to reveal anything about them ro us. Hence her hidden trait.
  • SerkeletSerkelet Member Registered Users Posts: 911
    There have been multiple mentions of Hobgoblins both by GW and CA. I think at this point it is very likely we will see them implemented somehow, both as an Old World army and as a Warhammer 3 race.

Oddzilla and company, you seem to me awfully confident of the contrary. I would never say I am 100% sure of their arrival, yet you allow yourselves to belittle people who would like to see them or are open to the possibility. I invite you to change your attitude, or you might end up getting burnt, like all those who were obnoxiously sure Cathay was never going to be a thing.
  • LepingLeping Registered Users Posts: 387
    GW and CA want money and customers, hobbo can grant nothing of the two..

No hype about it, 10 guys at best who want lesser gobbos
    I can't say I think the Hobgobbos are making it in... especially with all the other things that will be present on launch day it seems unlikely that hey could cram even more in. But to play Devils advocate to my own position that Hobgobbos are a pipe dream, I'll say this.

If your not thinking a full fledged faction but only containing the units that will be present in the Chaos Dwarf roster and as an unplayable NPC faction, I think there's a chance of Hobgobs being present on day 1.

• Rasmus242Rasmus242 Registered Users Posts: 671
    Really don't think it's hobbos. I think it's a tease for some type of campaign mechanic that hasn't been revealed yet. Maybe related to some type of resource you need to collect to open up portals into the demon realms etc.