Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

New player needs help getting into the game :(

vamp1r3kn1ghtvamp1r3kn1ght Registered Users Posts: 1
Hi everyone, I haven't been using (specifically posting on) a forum of any kind for at least more than a decade so I hope this is the right place to post, and please bear with me!

My first and only total war game at this point is Shogun 2 and I still play it sometimes, got it when they gave it away for free during the pandemic. Anyway, I've heard about this series and watched some gameplay on YouTube here and there before, and I loved the way it presented itself.

Before talking about my problem, I think it might help that I introduce some of my gaming background (or preference) so that people can understand where I'm coming from. I'm a turn-based player, that pretty much sums it up, I play anything that is turn-based. From Fire Emblem to Final Fantasy, or even Heroes of Might and Magic, and so on. I'm no stranger to strategy games, though adequate at best.

Now, I love everything about this game from the setting, the theme, the overworld part of the game, resources management and everything except, painfully speaking, the COMBAT.

I know this is not the first time someone asking for help with this aspect of the game, or the whole series for that matter. However, I cannot find anyone that kind of has the same problem as mine. First of all, the combat is real-time, which is against everything that I stand for. Mind you, it's not the first time I've experienced real-time combat, I tried some other RTS games before but the same thing happened, I was never be able to get into it. The problem I'm speaking of is micro managing units, go figure. I play MOBA games, so I'm confident in my micro skill, I can pull off crazy sh*t combos while making poetry, but only when I ONLY HAVE TO CONTROL ONE UNIT, not 20 units.

Believe me, I have read guides, walkthroughs, watch YouTube videos and all that jazz, so know that this is my last resort, I do not ask for your help and time lightly. When I'm in battle, I can kind of inmitate what them pro players do on YouTube to some extent. The difference between us is that they're enjoying themselves while they do all these micro intensive stuffs and maneuvers, and I'm not. I felt worn out after every battle, like there just so much to do in every battle no matter the difficulty of it, I feel stressed everytime I go to a battle to the point that it's breaking the game's flow for me. And the worse part is, I know what I'm lacking, I don't have the micro skill to control lots of different units at the same time. I'm used to one big army sweeping the whole map, I'm not good at dividing my forces to several fronts. But when I learn to do it differently, I'm not enjoying the process, it's like my mind is telling me "this game is not for you", which is even more frustrating.

And before you say if I'm not enjoying it, I should not play it, games are supposed to be fun. But I loved everything about it bar Combat. And I just want to know why am I feeling this way, I feel useless in the face of real-time combat. I don't know if this is an in-game advice or a mental state advice, but I truly wish I can enjoy this great series because people has been praising it for so long.

I'm sorry for the long post, and thank you for taking the time out to read it. Sorry for my bad English.