Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

pre release culture

Gangstamonkey214Gangstamonkey214 MemberRegistered Users Posts: 260
edited February 2022 in Total War General Chat
I don't like it. I don't like how youtube people get the whole game early. I don't like how every surprised has been spoilt pre launch, playable Belakor, a secret 3rd LL. The endings for all the factions and every story beat.

There's no mystery or intrigue of everyone going through it at the same time.

The datamining of future factions based on factions icons.

The complete silence on the marketing side for months only for the whole game to be on youtube a week before launch.

I don't like how Legend has 600+ hours and every single achievement for a game thats not out yet. I hate it, the mystery and mysticism of games went out of the **** window.

"j-just don't read or watch anything"
I did that and seeing offhand comments by people about it means all the info will filter to you no matter what unless you compeltely cut yourself off which kills the community feel of the game and means you can't join in on speculation threads or memes or discussing possible builds and army types.

Post edited by dge1 on

Comments

• Serkelet#1834Serkelet#1834 Member Registered Users Posts: 1,086
    I kind of agree with you. When I was a kid, before the Internet was a thing, it felt really magical when I uncovered secrets and easter eggs on my own, let alone going through a story for the first time. Every time I turned on a game I didn't know what it was to be about at all. It was all discovery.

Nowadays it's a miracle if you don't know any detail before going into a game or a movie. It takes away from those feelings indeed...
  • Shogun_SanjuroShogun_Sanjuro Registered Users Posts: 344
    The amount of TV shows, games or movies I haven't watched or didn't finish watching because somebody, somewhere spoilt it.

Can't escape it. You try hard to ignore anything to do with said media, but something always creeps in and spoils it. All it takes is for you to auto-pilot read a comment early in the morning before work until you realise what you just read and something is spoilt.
  • ChoraChora Registered Users Posts: 872

I don't like it. I don't like how youtube people get the whole game early. I don't like how every surprised has been spoilt pre launch, playable Belakor, a secret 3rd LL. The endings for all the factions and every story beat.

The complete silence on the marketing side for months only for the whole game to be on youtube a week before launch.

I don't like how Legend has 600+ hours and every single achievement for a game thats not out yet. I hate it, the mystery and mysticism of games went out of the **** window.

I did that and seeing offhand comments by people about it means all the info will filter to you no matter what unless you compeltely cut yourself off which kills the community feel of the game and means you can't join in on speculation threads or memes or discussing possible builds and army types.

It’s a nice idea but it would just be giving companies like cd projekt red and Bethesda more room to take advantage of people.

The answers right in your post. Just don’t get into that stuff and be more picky about what videos you watch. Self control is a beautiful thing
  • NoSkill4U#6552NoSkill4U#6552 Registered Users Posts: 5,160
    What´s the difference if you get spoiled 1-2 weeks before or after launch ?

Also, early access is part of quality control, to find game breaking bugs.

• yolordmcswag#6132yolordmcswag#6132 Registered Users Posts: 4,269
    I have avoided any let's plays or reviews for this reason, only watching the trailers. I don't feel I have been spoiled much.
  • ArecBalrin#2350ArecBalrin#2350 Registered Users Posts: 2,935
    If the gameplay stood up, spoilers wouldn't matter.

No one is buying TW:WH for the narrative design.
  • Gangstamonkey214Gangstamonkey214 Member Registered Users Posts: 260
    "giving companies like cd projekt red and Bethesda more room to take advantage of people" because no one complained
    about Fallout 76 or Cyberpunk after it launched right? no people will bring up problems you don't NEED social media influcener wannabes spoiling everything for that.

"The answers right in your post. Just don’t get into that stuff and be more picky about what videos you watch. Self control is a beautiful thing" you sound like a seppo boomer with that kind of thinking. I went over why that doesn't work if you stll want to be connected to the community and other user input like who factions to start with first, playstyles, speculation, memes etc.
    I didn't seek out any Belakor info but I know everything cause CA let the whole game be spoilt pre launch
  • Bomdur#5716Bomdur#5716 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 251

Sorry but its your fault, i've only seen mechanics and the starting turns from each campaign, nothing more... I don't know how it ends, i barely know how each chaos domains work, the only surv battle i've seen was against khorne a long time ago, etc, etc, etc.
    The only thing i can agree is with boris/belakor.
    Bomdur said:

Sorry but its your fault, i've only seen mechanics and the starting turns from each campaign, nothing more... I don't know how it ends, i barely know how each chaos domains work, the only surv battle i've seen was against khorne a long time ago, etc, etc, etc.
    Not their fault.

CA choose their marketing methods and just so happen to prefer those which drive 'hype', meaning they encourage people who are the most curious but also the most impulsive.

They could opt not to do that, but then that would mean modern CA stops being modern CA: a marketing company more than a game company.

"giving companies like cd projekt red and Bethesda more room to take advantage of people" because no one complained
    about Fallout 76 or Cyberpunk after it launched right? no people will bring up problems you don't NEED social media influcener wannabes spoiling everything for that.

"The answers right in your post. Just don’t get into that stuff and be more picky about what videos you watch. Self control is a beautiful thing" you sound like a seppo boomer with that kind of thinking. I went over why that doesn't work if you stll want to be connected to the community and other user input like who factions to start with first, playstyles, speculation, memes etc.
    I didn't seek out any Belakor info but I know everything cause CA let the whole game be spoilt pre launch

I said it would give them more room to take advantage, not that it’s the only safeguard we have and no one can complain after launch lol. Simmer down, turbo.

If you want to reply to what I’m actually saying, go ahead, otherwise enjoy debating with your strawman
  • Malruir#2663Malruir#2663 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 648
    Yep, it's unfortunately CA's marketing strategy to have no marketing at all, frustrate people for months and then just before release leave the whole game to others to play through completely.

We have unfortunately seen that it was obviously not even possible to write blogs for all factions or to fill months of silence with small but interesting details. Well, the only option you have is to do what I did and not watch it.

• Dragantis#9204Dragantis#9204 PolandRegistered Users Posts: 793
    To be honest I really agree. Back in days when redactors of magazines or website was only getting access and we had only rewievs there was some culture of what is supposed to be shown in those rewievs. Reviewers were sure to talk about every aspect of the game but they were avoiding spoilers. In the end reading those rewievs you know if game is interesting enough and if you want to play it.

In Streamers case today, before game is even out they already try to break game, found every easter egg and spoil everything they can to gain the most views they can. In about a week since they get access some YT show what thing can you get in realm of Slannesh and make a guide how use it to boost your start (it was 3 weeks before game release).

Also CA should be more focused what they put in to NDA, littelary first thing Streamers showed us was ending cinematic form prologue. After seeming this I decide to avoid majority of videos from sources other than TW official channel.
    Bomdur said:

Honestly those 2 things shouldn't be allowed for streamers to be shown until release, I avoiding watching streams and videos get spoiled by in the very same day they were allowed to show it. Just threads name, video name suggested by YT and other similar things.

I will be honest CA marketing for Warhammer 3 is terrible, really terrible.
    Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!
  • WelshMeatball#4754WelshMeatball#4754 Registered Users Posts: 408
    Yeah that masterpiece of story writing got spoiled, lol.
  • Bomdur#5716Bomdur#5716 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 251

Bomdur said:

Not their fault.

CA choose their marketing methods and just so happen to prefer those which drive 'hype', meaning they encourage people who are the most curious but also the most impulsive.

They could opt not to do that, but then that would mean modern CA stops being modern CA: a marketing company more than a game company.

They give the information, they uplodead videos, if you are not happy with that you can watch youtubers like italianspartacus who has "no spoiler campaign mechanics" for each faction.
    If you start watching a 10h stream of someone else playing the whole campaign is your fault.

There are people who wants to watch everything and they can, i'm not so i don't watche every single video from every single youtuber.
    The pre-release is a good thing if not, look how cyberpunk or rome 2 ended.

It's like starting a movie from the end and complaining that the company spoiled you the movie
    edited February 2022
    One of the problems plaguing the gaming industry is all hype/misleading advertising and no substance. Wrack up those presales before people know what they’re buying.

Streamers like this help add a a level of protection against this ploy and, despite the spoilers that came with (Which are perfectly avoidable with minimal effort), are a great resource to help protect consumers.

Backlash after release on a **** product generally doesn’t do much for you if you paid weeks ago and are no longer able to get a refund.

I get what you’re saying, I just don’t agree. More transparency, not less. If you don’t want spoilers, j-just don’t watch videos designed to reveal the game early and share spoilers…

If you want to win an argument, try reasonable discourse not j-just proactively mocking anyone that might disagree with you

I can’t watch spoiler videos, without being spoiled. I can’t go to forums discussing spoilers, without being spoiled. Yes. I can’t go in the rain without getting wet. These are the days of our lives.
    Bomdur said:

Bomdur said:

Not their fault.

They give the information, they uplodead videos, if you are not happy with that you can watch youtubers like italianspartacus who has "no spoiler campaign mechanics" for each faction.
    If you start watching a 10h stream of someone else playing the whole campaign is your fault.

There are people who wants to watch everything and they can, i'm not so i don't watche every single video from every single youtuber.
    The pre-release is a good thing if not, look how cyberpunk or rome 2 ended.

It's like starting a movie from the end and complaining that the company spoiled you the movie
    I'm uncertain how this addresses anything I said.

People complain about film spoilers and have legitimate reasons for doing so, which is why your analogy here seemed tortured: few people have played WH3, everything that has been seen is part of the marketing effort. In terms of films, this is really just watching a trailer which then significantly spoils the film; a long-standing problem which parts of the film industry do at least acknowledge(which is why Marvel outright fakes scenes and themes in its trailers).

People can pro-actively take steps to avoid being bothered by such things; no argument from me on that. It is however irrelevant to the fact that marketing people make choices and they are trained to understand how audiences respond. If the OP did not pay attention to the marketing, it doesn't change that thousands of others still would and it's not their fault: they could all have completely different personalities and neurology, and the marketing degrees would all focus on manipulating those instead.
  • neverending#5226neverending#5226 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,953

People can pro-actively take steps to avoid being bothered by such things; no argument from me on that. It is however irrelevant to the fact that marketing people make choices and they are trained to understand how audiences respond. If the OP did not pay attention to the marketing, it doesn't change that thousands of others still would and it's not their fault: they could all have completely different personalities and neurology, and the marketing degrees would all focus on manipulating those instead.

"people can take steps to avoid marketing, no argument from me. Also it is CA's marketing team's fault."

And those people complaining about CA's marketing team can pound sand. I'd rather CA just open the floodgates which implies confidence in their product and withstand a few people on forums complaining they have little self control.
    5900x @ stock , 4x8gb 3600mhz 14-16-16-36
    ASUS TUF 3080 12 GB
    4TB Sabrent NVMe SSD PCIe 4.0 w/ Windows 10 Pro 64bit
  • Bayes#3307Bayes#3307 Senior Member NorwayRegistered Users Posts: 5,021
    edited February 2022
    I am on the other end of the spectrum. leaening about the game before it releases is like adrenaline to me. But for the people who really treasure not being spoiler etc I can understand why this whole situation sucks.

Inappropriate Comment removed.
    Post edited by dge1 on
  • Bonutz#3949Bonutz#3949 Registered Users Posts: 5,763
    I agree to an extent. Kind of hard to even slightly follow the game without spoilers being thrown in your face every two seconds.

The only way to avoid it is to cut yourself off from the forums and YouTube completely. Sounds cliche but it’s true.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I’m all out of bubblegum.
  • Koronus#5034Koronus#5034 Registered Users Posts: 317

The amount of TV shows, games or movies I haven't watched or didn't finish watching because somebody, somewhere spoilt it.

Can't escape it. You try hard to ignore anything to do with said media, but something always creeps in and spoils it. All it takes is for you to auto-pilot read a comment early in the morning before work until you realise what you just read and something is spoilt.

Well I see it positive. I am currently to start Attack on Titan Season 3 and someone just spoiled me the Mangafinale.
    While first I whas shocked I whas gratefull on next day as it prevented me from a disappointment. Because for my taste this ending ruins the whole series and would have turned it into a waste of time for me.
  • #610044#610044 Registered Users Posts: 791
    So sad to see a person have 600hours on a game in 3 weeks, he really has nothing else to do? I got 1000hours on wh2 spread out on 4-5 years...
  • WarlockeWarlocke Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,083
    Storeslem said:

So sad to see a person have 600hours on a game in 3 weeks, he really has nothing else to do? I got 1000hours on wh2 spread out on 4-5 years...

There are only 504 hours in three weeks…

Also, it’s his job. It’s how he makes money and pays his bills.
    ò_ó
  • Cactus#3854Cactus#3854 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 142
    That's 600 hours of the game running. I've got dozens of 'unearned' hours for games where I walked away to wash/eat/sleep/whatever without exiting the game.
  • Grom_the_Paunch#8146Grom_the_Paunch#8146 Registered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 2,721
    I think I could have avoided a lot of these "spoilers" if I'd really wanted to... and I wasn't sort of duty-bound to keep an eye on this place from time to time.

In fact, I basically would live under a rock of ignorance if I weren't here at all. Actually, maybe I live under one anyway. How would I know what type of rock that is? Are all rocks ignorant?

*Looks at Idol of Gork (or possibly Mork)*

Well, I hope so.
  • korradokortokorradokorto Registered Users Posts: 559
    Storeslem said:

i mean its pretty much his job, you should blame his followers and their life priorities before questioning his life choices.

btw i never been much into story driven games so even when i was a kid i couldnt care less about spoilers and the like, though i do miss the paper magazines era.
  • LuciusCornelius#7004LuciusCornelius#7004 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,296
    Storeslem said:

That dude makes north of $250,000 a year playing Total War. It may be sad that we all watch him, but I can't fault him finding a good way of making a living playing video games. I don't enjoy him as a person all that much, but there are few people that seem to be as good at the single player version of Total War Warhammer as him. Clearly he works hard at understanding what brings him his money.
  • DragonbroodlingsDragonbroodlings Registered Users Posts: 334
    OP I agree with you to an extent. I loved going through games on my own back in the day. It led to a better overall experience. But one thing that has crapped on that in recent years is less effort coming out of gaming studios. Players want to know if a purchase will be worth it instead of going for the best from greedy corporations.

On the flip side is that nothing is sacred in video games anymore with leaks, data mines, early access, speed runs, day one or earlier walk throughs, etc. Fortunately, for TWW early access doesn't break the grand strategy nature of the game for me. But I get where you are coming from, and I have had several games ruined for me recently due to what you posted earlier.
  • busbee247#5862busbee247#5862 Registered Users Posts: 1,323
    Chora said:

It’s a nice idea but it would just be giving companies like cd projekt red and Bethesda more room to take advantage of people.

The answers right in your post. Just don’t get into that stuff and be more picky about what videos you watch. Self control is a beautiful thing
    Let's be absolutely clear. Ca did not give legendoftotalwar the game early and allow him to make videos and streams about it so the consumers don't get screwed over, the whole YouTube/content creator early access is 100% a substitute for marketing

"people can take steps to avoid marketing, no argument from me. Also it is CA's marketing team's fault."

And those people complaining about CA's marketing team can pound sand. I'd rather CA just open the floodgates which implies confidence in their product and withstand a few people on forums complaining they have little self control.
    Your quote appears to be a fabrication. Is this intentional?

CA having confidence in their product-line wouldn't entail them pushing the most dishonest marketing campaign since Rome 2.
  • davedave1124#4773davedave1124#4773 Senior Member St Helens UKRegistered Users Posts: 22,074
    The marketing is fine in that sense. The marketing is flexible enough to allow people to treat it how they like, if I want to see what a trusted Youtuber thinks about the game I can, if I don't want the surprise to be spoiled then I don't have to watch any of them.

The, now, quite large amounts of Youtubers who play the game can give their opinion on the game and are happy to point out its issues as they have done. This has been the way since R2, this is just CA confirming to people that they are happy to allow people outside the company to test and say what they think about the game.

There's been multiple styles of marketing including, cinematics, gameplay, question & answers and people like Simone offered as much help as he could manage.