Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Total War: WARHAMMER III – CA Recap & Hotfix Timeline

CA_EvangelosCA_Evangelos United KingdomRegistered Users, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 27
edited March 7 in General Discussion
Hello everyone,

First things first, we’d like to start by (again) offering our heartfelt THANKS for all the healthy communication, detailed issue reports, thoughtful concerns, and for your ongoing patience with the many people working to collect, understand, and escalate your crucial feedback to the development team. Whether you’ve contributed to the conversation on our official Forums or Discord, on the Steam Discussions board, or via the community-led subreddit, your feedback has not only helped us understand the areas where your expectations of the current release have fallen short, but have helped drive the direction of where we go from here. Thank you for being a part of this initial conversation—one which will undoubtedly lay the groundwork for Total War: WARHAMMER III in the years to come.

HOTFIX TL;DR

Today we’d like to clarify what we’re focusing on as a team and what you can expect to come next. To quickly answer a few questions that are at the top of everyone’s mind:
  • Yes; we are in the process of working on the first of several hotfixes to address the critical issues you’ve identified over the past several days. We plan to release these as rapidly as we are able without compromising the current stability or performance of the game.

• We are aiming to release the first hotfix later this week! NOTE THAT THIS IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE based on NUMEROUS factors—some of which are out of our control (outlined below).

• We will keep you updated about our long-term hotfix schedule as we establish a solid timeline. When we have solid dates for the current, next, and next-next hotfixes, we’ll let you know so you can look forward to them.

• We MAY leverage the Steam beta feature to make specific changes available early. The goal will be to determine whether they fix the more nuanced issues that certain players are experiencing. (More on this plan in the future...)
Now the longer version...

HOTFIX PLAN: EXPLAINED

On a positive note, over the past several days, many players with a variety of hardware specs have already found success in playing and enjoying the game the way it was intended, which is *fantastic* to hear! Tech-savvy members of the community have even been helping to identify numerous settings, software tweaks, and problematic systems impacting the experience over the past several days; many of their discoveries and efforts have even helped open the door for other players to enjoy the game, which has been immensely successful!

The unfortunate news is that this has not been the case for everyone—and worse is the fact that there is no single culprit for the variety of issues being reported. This is an understandable source of frustration for those affected, and a complicated landscape for us as we navigate and explore the many possible causes with many possible fixes for the different problems at hand.

We’ve already identified numerous actionable options, but each one will only improve things for a *specific* group of users rather than everyone at once. As a result, we’ve decided to take a surgical approach to address them: deploying smaller hotfixes at a faster rate rather than waiting to compile fixes into a large update that smashes multiple issues at once. We are determined to make improvements as quickly and safely as possible, but it’s crucial that we avoid rushing the process at the expense of the game’s stability.

The first of these hotfix releases is targeted for later this week; HOWEVER, it is important to note that this depends and may shift depending on several factors:
  • Fixes need to be implemented, tested, and verified by both our team and our external partners. This can take several days to get the “all clear” from all stakeholders.

• The more fixes in a build, the more risk that it can cause problems with other elements in the game or with the platforms where the game is released. This is another reason we’re keeping the builds as narrow and focused as possible.

• If a fix fails to meet the criteria of anyone—be it CA or one of our partners—it can delay our ability to release the build.
The focus of this first build is to address some of the multiplayer lobby issues, the DirectX problems we’ve seen from players running DX12, and hopeful framerate improvements for players using modern Intel CPU’s. The EXACT contents of the release will be announced as plans solidify, so keep your eyes open here for that news—as well as any changes to the schedule as we learn them—coming your way soon.

OPTIMIZATION AND PERFORMANCE FIXES

As mentioned previously, the optimization and performance issues reported by many users remain one of our top priorities. Beyond the crashes and other critical issues we’re working to solve, we very much understand—as gamers ourselves—that the game’s performance is a cornerstone of your ability to enjoy it.

Implementing solutions, however, is going to take time: not only as we work across multiple technical disciplines to identify where the most meaningful changes can be made, but work with all of you to understand what aspects of the game are the most impactful on your experience. At first, you can expect to see small, targeted improvements to specific areas of the game. Then, in later updates, we’ll be able to make larger improvements to the stability and other important areas of the game. This is a long-term project—one we expect to be a priority for the foreseeable future!

Again: as we learn more, we will strive to communicate and work with you to be a part of that process! For now, we ask that you be patient, continue experimenting with the specific hardware and software settings of your system, and share what works (or doesn’t work) so others can contribute to the discussion. The more people are working to solve problems and communicate solutions, the easier it is for us to identify the areas of concern that lead to permanent solutions

LOOKING FORWARD

That’s all we have for now, but you can expect more communication from us as our next steps take shape. Creative Assembly is dedicated to making Total War: WARHAMMER III the best game it is and was always intended to be, which means we’ll be working hard to address the concerns and issues brought to our attention.

We also know that some of you are super keen on getting information about our upcoming content plans and roadmap into the future, which we’re also excited to share with you! For now, we want to focus on making sure we are helping those who are having a less fun time with WARHAMMER III as we establish a strong baseline for the game. We haven’t forgotten about the roadmap and will come back to our originally planned updates as soon as possible!

—The Total War Team
Post edited by CA_Evangelos on

Comments

• saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 17,445
    yes good choice make smaller changes to show that your doing hotfixes keep the public order up.

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

• StephinceStephince Registered Users Posts: 2,984
    Seems like a sensible approach.
  • gekjgekj Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 384
    summury : crap performance will still be here for months/years
  • zuendl86zuendl86 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 543
    Isnt this one the sa.e guy how posted the roadmap a little bit earlier???
    gekj said:

summury : crap performance will still be here for months/years

totally on your system though for me i have not yet run in to any performs issues apart from going high to medium from wh2 to wh 3

• SaitohSaitoh Registered Users Posts: 383
    Is there any plan to add 16:10 resolutions? It's hard to enjoy the game without a borderless window option.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 19,247
    edited February 22
    So, I can thank the "muuuuugh why are you talking about DLC when the game isn't fixed?" crowd for the reason I won't be hearing about new content.. sigh.
    Post edited by davedave1124 on
  • mecanojavi99mecanojavi99 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 8,199
    zuendl86 said:

No, that was someone pretending to be him, that conversation was erased a while ago.
    "By the fires of Hashut, let them burn in the flames of eternal torment!"
    - Anonymous

zuendl86 said:

No, that was someone pretending to be him, that conversation was erased a while ago.
    it doesn't help the new CM team doesn't use the CA logo as rest of the old CM and Duck and Andy but use normal avatars like the rest of us

- Anonymous
    saweendra said:

zuendl86 said:

it doesn't help the new CM team doesn't use the CA logo as rest of the old CM and Duck and Andy but use normal avatars like the rest of us
    If it doesn't have the purple background, don't trust it, that is how you know that it was published by a dev.
    - Anonymous

saweendra said:

zuendl86 said:

If it doesn't have the purple background, don't trust it, that is how you know that it was published by a dev.
    but i don't when the new CMs are there or not, its good way to predict a news drop of you See bunch of ca tags show up around the same time

• DrazhoaththeAshenDrazhoaththeAshen Registered Users Posts: 711
    Eager for the alt-tab issue to be fixed. A great small example of you don't know what you got till its gone. So many times I have alt-tabbed only to immediately think "Aw crap!"
    To keep on filling is not as good as stopping. Overfilled,
    the cupped hands drip, better to stop pouring.

Sharpen a blade too much and its edge will soon be lost. Fill your
    house with jade and gold and it brings insecurity. Puff yourself
    with honor and pride and no one can save you from a fall.

Retire when the work is done; this is the way of heaven.

-Laozi
  • MasariusMasarius Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,319
    Good approach and I appreciate the update.

Keep it up!
    Till shade is gone,
    till water is gone,
    into the Shadow with the teeth bared,
    screaming defiance with the last breath,
    to spit into Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day
    saweendra said:

saweendra said:

zuendl86 said:

but i don't when the new CMs are there or not, its good way to predict a news drop of you See bunch of ca tags show up around the same time
    Maybe that's precisely why he doesn't use it hahaha.
    - Anonymous

saweendra said:

saweendra said:

zuendl86 said:

Maybe that's precisely why he doesn't use it hahaha.
    none of them do all two of them CMs

• BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 40,495
    edited February 22

Eager for the alt-tab issue to be fixed. A great small example of you don't know what you got till its gone. So many times I have alt-tabbed only to immediately think "Aw crap!"

What I've been doing is opening the game then Win-Tab and moving it to a new virtual desktop. It doesn't crash then,
    but it does mean a few extra clicks to get to wherever else you want tto be.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png

use the win button , pop up the win menu and minimize the game , than just go to the one you want much simpler to do

• TeNoSkillTeNoSkill Registered Users Posts: 4,959
    No mentions of mods tho....
  • eomateomat Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,551
    zuendl86 said:

Yeah. Earlier today! So I wasn't seeing things. The troll post.
  • 1v01v0 Registered Users Posts: 1,716
    edited February 22
    Can't we have our cake and eat it too like -
    "We will now focus on fixes but here is a roadmap for what to expect after the fixes" I mean - Why delay the roadmap when all that does is tell us what is next (without dates)...

Also mods and blood...

Anyway I'm glad for the fixes, but the game has already lost me, I don't want to play another campaign begin forced to go into the realms every 30 turns, mods would help with that.
    Question:Presumably you’ve needed to create a huge number of new Daemon units to properly flesh them out and give them their own armies?
    Answer:IR: What you’ve just said is so true,
  • RockNRolla92RockNRolla92 Registered Users Posts: 2,176

What I've been doing is opening the game then Win-Tab and moving it to a new virtual desktop. It doesn't crash then,
    but it does mean a few extra clicks to get to wherever else you want tto be.
    Another suggestion that is working for me. Turn windowed mode on in graphics settings, then set sound enabled in background in the sound settings. Then restart the game, I've had no alt tab issues since I done this.

If you mess with windowed whilst playing the game you have to restart it as it seems to go a bit weird. Obviously this isn't ideal but for now maybe it'll help some people
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 9,441
    The constant communication is good.
    Glory matters not.

• BRiiTASH2BRiiTASH2 Registered Users Posts: 586
    CA have ruined their image as a developer with this debacle. EVERY other developer has its dev team on standby to release a DAY1 hotfix to patch any problems thar occur but CA decided to let ita development team go home for the weekend and is now saying its team is so inept that it could take more than a week before it begins to release fixes that should have arrived in a DAY 1 PATCH.
    Congrats CA, you are solidified my opinion that you are a trash team and a trash studio.
  • 55JoNNo55JoNNo Registered Users Posts: 2,357
    I just hope the guard mode bug gets sorted soon - really messes up playing the game as intended.

Bohemond for game 3 please!

• dodge33cymrudodge33cymru Registered Users Posts: 3,137
    edited February 22
    More great comms, keep it up. Once of my hesitancies with buying CA content (I don't have WH3 yet) is lack of engagement and openness compared to some other studios, so this is a really nice step thank you.
  • DjauDjau Registered Users Posts: 9,923
    BRiiTASH2 said:

CA have ruined their image as a developer with this debacle. EVERY other developer has its dev team on standby to release a DAY1 hotfix to patch any problems thar occur but CA decided to let ita development team go home for the weekend and is now saying its team is so inept that it could take more than a week before it begins to release fixes that should have arrived in a DAY 1 PATCH.
    Congrats CA, you are solidified my opinion that you are a trash team and a trash studio.

No way you can solve the issues in a single day...

• davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 19,247
    BRiiTASH2 said:

Every developer has an immediate fix for their game on day 1? What is this utopia you come from?
  • VovafonKarsteinVovafonKarstein Registered Users Posts: 9
    When will you release the blood mod? I can't play Warhammer without it, they promised it at release. How can you play as Skarbrand without him?! "Nothing for the blood god, skulls for the throne of skulls!"

When will you release the blood mod? I can't play Warhammer without it, they promised it at release. How can you play as Skarbrand without him?! "Nothing for the blood god, skulls for the throne of skulls!"

They never promised it at release.
    - Anonymous