Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Ogres were wasted on the story campaign and Chorfs got screwed over for it.

SamHobbs494SamHobbs494 Registered Users Posts: 249
edited February 23 in General Discussion
I will preface this by saying that this only applies if game 2 "rules" apply and new races are not added to the story campaign. I have no way to know otherwise though so for now this is the assumption that can be made.

The premise to even get the Ogres involved in the god bear story is so flipping tenuous compared to all other races with such apparently low stakes. Just wanting to eat it, seriously that's it. That's lame, quite frankly. Not even wanting to fill the god bear with the spirit of the great maw or anything cool like that? Nothing.

Knowing that was all they had in mind for the Ogres means they would and should have just been the first race pack and not the pre order race.

They could have had cauldron mechanics ala Grom and had to go and reclaim their mountain halls from Skaven, Orcs and Dawi of both types. We could have also maybe just maybe had a final battle vs the very last of the Sky Titans or something epic of that nature and lets face it, the Mountains of Mourn could just as easily have place holder factions as the Darklands do and no one would have cared.

And whilst I am talking about Ogres, If the entire "Empire" part of the map is only their for Skragg to destroy and take over then please make sure he does so instead of sitting in his home province doing jack **** for 200 turns. Otherwise it's just a bunch of space we didn't need on the map that could have been used in a much better location *cough* Cathay *cough*. Even more so when Skragg could have been anywhere, including the place he should have started, The Great Maw.

So now we get on to Chorfs.

With the theme of the game being what it is, and these angry little beardy bois being worshipers of a minor chaos deity how is it not a no brainer from day 0 to make these guys part of the main story. I cannot even do the mental gymnastics required to make them NOT an essential starting race for this game. Whoever made this call, CA, GW, Jesus whomever it was it was a poor choice, period.

Compelling them to steal one gods power to infuse with their own and give him big boy status would have been an easy sell to them as a race and to us as players so this is already so much more synergistic with the rest of the races involved than Ogres are.

The Darklands could have even stayed completely occupied by Orcs but controlled by Grimgor and not a lesser faction, with just 2 Chorf strongholds for the LL's to live and expand from.

Honestly how this even happened this way round is astonishing and it's such a waste of potential for both races quite frankly and I am deeply disappointed by the decision that forced CA to do these races in the order that they have.

I hope very much that game 2 "rules" don't apply so that we can see a glorious Chorf campaign that ends in a major chaos god Hashut being born.

Comments

• LunaticprinceLunaticprince Registered Users Posts: 5,794
    Chorf being campagne pack is the best that can happen to them right after being core

• MattockMattock Registered Users Posts: 1,607
    Chorfs need campaign pack treatement way more than ogres. The units they should be coming with means they would have been gutted with a race pack.
  • DjauDjau Registered Users Posts: 10,369
    Actually, DLC races tend to get better treatment.

• MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,316
    I agree that Ogres should have their own narrative. As for the Chaos Dwarfs, they might very well benefit from the DLC treatment.
  • NeodeinosNeodeinos Registered Users Posts: 14,474
    Chaos Dwarfs as campaign pack is better, they'll have 4 LLs from the start and probably won't participate in the **** narrative with the **** rifts of Chaos.

• petherpether Registered Users Posts: 176
    I'd rather see Chaos Dwarfs as a DLC race with all care, focus and attention they can get when the dev's attention is not divided to other core WH3 races. Also, I'm quite happy that they won't (probably) follow Soul Race and have their own objective to win the game.

Looking from this perspective, ogres feel much better as pre-order race.
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 14,872
    edited February 23
    Mattock said:

Chorfs need campaign pack treatement way more than ogres. The units they should be coming with means they would have been gutted with a race pack.

Unlike the Ogres who haven't been gutted, right? Not like they're missing armybook units right now.

Honestly, I think the Chaos Dwarfs would've fit better thematically. Not just because Chaos, but also because they could've had the actual Forge of Souls as their campaign goal, rather than Ursun himself. They could've effectively become the Dark Mechanicus.
    Furthermore, I consider that Daemon Prince must be removed.
    Crossil said:

Mattock said:

Unlike the Ogres who haven't been gutted, right? Not like they're missing armybook units right now.

Honestly, I think the Chaos Dwarfs would've fit better thematically. Not just because Chaos, but also because they could've had the actual Forge of Souls as their campaign goal, rather than Ursun himself. They could've effectively become the Dark Mechanicus.
    Ogres are really only missing Thundertusks and Yhetees from their army book. Plus the Bruiser hero.

• ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 32,648
    Ogres simply should never be shoehorned into the stupid narrative. That’s the main reason why I don’t wanna play them yet.

The combined map can’t come soon enough.

I just finally finished my Katarin campaign in the second attempt and I really can’t motivate myself to start another campaign. Rifts… Chaos realms… doesn’t matter who you play, it will be exactly the same.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • SamHobbs494SamHobbs494 Registered Users Posts: 249
    Crossil said:

Mattock said:

I didn't even consider that part. Makes it even more wasteful to not do it.
    edited February 23
    Djau said:

Crossil said:

Mattock said:

Ogres are really only missing Thundertusks and Yhetees from their army book. Plus the Bruiser hero.
    And then after that, they'll most likely get those as a lord pack, and then another lord pack after that, which will most likely cover more Gnoblar options from the Gnoblar list alongside Bragg as the LL. So two lord packs, which the Chaos Dwarfs could've obtained as easily as the Ogres will. The thing is, Ogres were harder to make than you'd think, with most of the roster being made from nothing, whereas CD at least had some functional models from the Warriors of Chaos.

Aka, the situations are exactly the same. The difference is that the Chaos Dwarfs would actually fit the narrative and have a nice leeway into an alternative endgoal to the campaign rather than having Ursun as a bizarre stated goal in comparison, while still keeping to the overall narrative(even the advisor's "one drop of blood" would work, since Ursun is conveniently present in the Forge of Souls). Compare that to the Ogres who feel forced and still just mess around with Ursun for some bizarre reason. in spite of not having anything to do with the Kislevites or Ursun at all. The excuse plots that CA is pushing are becoming ridiculous.
    Crossil said:

Djau said:

Crossil said:

Mattock said:

And then after that, they'll most likely get those as a lord pack, and then another lord pack after that, which will most likely cover more Gnoblar options from the Gnoblar list alongside Bragg as the LL. So two lord packs, which the Chaos Dwarfs could've obtained as easily as the Ogres will. The thing is, Ogres were harder to make than you'd think, with most of the roster being made from nothing, whereas CD at least had some functional models from the Warriors of Chaos.

Aka, the situations are exactly the same. The difference is that the Chaos Dwarfs would actually fit the narrative and have a nice leeway into an alternative endgoal to the campaign rather than having Ursun as a bizarre stated goal in comparison, while still keeping to the overall narrative(even the advisor's "one drop of blood" would work, since Ursun is conveniently present in the Forge of Souls). Compare that to the Ogres who feel forced and still just mess around with Ursun for some bizarre reason. in spite of not having anything to do with the Kislevites or Ursun at all. The excuse plots that CA is pushing are becoming ridiculous.
    It’s extremely unlikely that Ogres will get more than 1 LP.
  • ArecBalrinArecBalrin Registered Users Posts: 2,813
    edited February 23
    Djau said:

Are you really suggesting that:
    • Chaos Warriors
    • Beastmen
    • Wood Elves
    • Bretonnia
    • Norsca
    • Tomb Kings
    • Vampire Coast
    Mainly got better treatment than:
    • Dwarfs
    • Greenskins
    • Empire
    • Vampire Counts
    • Lizardmen
    • Dark Elves
    • High Elves
    • Skaven
    ?

Many people say Chaos Warriors and Norsca have yet to have their 're-work' but looking back on the history of updates, that's not really true. Chaos Warriors got significant changes and new units, it's just the result was so awful that everyone misremembers this as them having not had a re-work yet. Norsca also had something done to them when CA had to spend months getting them to work in Mortal Empires. I've played the initial monster hunts as Wulfrik from the menu, and despite having the exact same units; a battle I can comfortably win in WH1 has become impossible in WH2. So whatever CA did(they would not answer when asked, but did actually respond only to paint a target on me), it was for the worse and because of it people still think Norsca hasn't had a re-work. Surprise, they are both pre-order DLC; the worst-designed races in the game(also happen to be Chaos-aligned by some coincidence).

So look instead at the quality of the re-works for each race. Beastmen got a good re-work(as good as anything can be in WH as it's designed), but it came only after getting the short-end of the stick since 2016. It only took CA five years to make Beastmen somewhat fun to play. You'll find this is actually the case for any of the DLC races that got a noticeable re-work; only after years of being awful.

Most of the priced DLC for WH1 and WH2 combined are not race packs, but lord packs and none but just two of those lord packs are for DLC races. Many of these lord packs were accompanied by game updates to the races featured in them, so most of these updates in terms of quality and frequency went to non-DLC races. Out of all of them, the Lizardmen and Empire were the only ones that can be considered neglected.

Which DLC races do you think didn't spend most of their time during the life of Warhammer needing updates but waiting ages for anything?
    ArneSo said:

Crossil said:

Djau said:

Crossil said:

Mattock said:

Tbf, I'm 50/50 on that, but I also wouldn't be surprised at all.

Still, a lord pack and a race pack are approximately the same as a campaign pack.
    Crossil said:

ArneSo said:

Crossil said:

Djau said:

Crossil said:

Mattock said:

Tbf, I'm 50/50 on that, but I also wouldn't be surprised at all.

Still, a lord pack and a race pack are approximately the same as a campaign pack.
    Yes.
  • PoorManatee6197PoorManatee6197 Registered Users Posts: 2,172
    Welcome to warhammer pal, it is as serious as it is ridiculous. ogres wanting to eat ursun is perfectly in character for them, just like orcs would stomp him instead of doing anything usefull.
    #MakeDwarfsGreatAgain Josef Bugman, Thorek Ironbrow, Alrik Ranulfsson, Grimm Burloksson, Kazador Thunderhorn, Byrrnoth Grundadrakk, Malakai Makaisson, Gotrek Gurnisson, Garagrim, Dragon slayer, Deamon slayer, Doomseekers, Brotherhood of Grimnir, Giant slayers, Thunderbarge, Shieldbearer mount, Master brewer, Goblin Hewer, Norse dwarf war mammoth, Tractator engine, Rune golem, Shard dragon, proper Anvil of Doom, Ulther's dragon company, Lond Drong's slayer pirates, Everguard, Karak Varn, Karag Agrilwutraz, Karaz Bryn, Karag Dum, Karak Vlag, Kraka Dorden, Kraka Ornsmotek, Kraka Ravnsvake, Karak Vrag, Karak Azorn, Karak Krakaten.

All those missing things are grudges in the great book, is in your hand to settle them, CA. Khazukan kazakit-ha!
  • Artjuh90Artjuh90 Registered Users Posts: 1,620
    Interesting that OP knows everything about chaos dwarves before they are: Confirmed, mentioned to be next DLC, actually roster being released and they mechanics being explored. do agree that the ogres campagn mechanic is kinda dumb and sure hope for the combined map cause this gamemode is worse then vortex. but ill just wait and see. if they don't adress this then i will discontinue my following of the game and yes i have all 3 with all DLC and i know i will not be alone. this is the only way to actually et something and not crying like a totler on a forum
  • arthadawarthadaw Registered Users Posts: 2,057
    Honestly, the Pre-Order should have been Nagash

- Interested in eating gods
    - Can actually be able to steal a deamon
    - Can work with minimal Lords:
    - - Nagash
    - - Drachenfels and/or Dietrich
    - Is mainly mechanic heavy but could borrow on the Deamon of Chaos

That way both the Ogre and the Chaos Dwarves would be able to get 4 Lords and a bigger race pack
  • arthadawarthadaw Registered Users Posts: 2,057
    Also, Drachenfels or Dietrich could start in Castle Drachenfels and Middleland (Close to where Skrag start ?) while while Nagash would start near Nagashizar in the south
  • Phee2Phee2 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 47
    edited February 23
    Chaos Dwarfs will sell better than Ogres would have.

/thread

But seriously, this is likely at least part of the reason. Aren't OK a cheaper DLC too, ala WoC & Norsca? CD will be the same price as WE, BM, TK and VC.
  • KoronusKoronus Registered Users Posts: 265
    ArneSo said:

Ogres simply should never be shoehorned into the stupid narrative. That’s the main reason why I don’t wanna play them yet.

The combined map can’t come soon enough.

I just finally finished my Katarin campaign in the second attempt and I really can’t motivate myself to start another campaign. Rifts… Chaos realms… doesn’t matter who you play, it will be exactly the same.

I disagree with you. The fact that Speckus got infamous for eating his father and that made many ogres wanting to follow him made his narrative really fitting for only going out to eat this one of a kind meal.
    But I agree that it is stupid, that Skrag got not a different narrative wanting to feed Ursun to the great maw as he is the prophet of the great maw.
  • Lord_ZarkovLord_Zarkov Registered Users Posts: 1,489

Djau said:

• Chaos Warriors
    • Beastmen
    • Wood Elves
    • Bretonnia
    • Norsca
    • Tomb Kings
    • Vampire Coast
    • Dwarfs
    • Greenskins
    • Empire
    • Vampire Counts
    • Lizardmen
    • Dark Elves
    • High Elves
    • Skaven
    ?
    No, they’re saying TK and Vampire Coast had it better than WoC, Norsca and Ogres and that therefore CD getting a WH2 style (or better, cf Ogres vs Norsca or WoC) Campaign Pack would put them in a better place than being the pre-order.

And while Ogres were mostly complete, Chaos Dwarfs have a bit more variety in complex units.
  • SnofensonSnofenson Registered Users Posts: 20
    ArneSo said:

Crossil said:

Djau said:

Crossil said:

Mattock said:

We’ll prolly get an flc Ogre lord, maybe a more maneater based one alongside a dogs of war pack. That would be the dream for me unlikely as it is.

• DarthEnderXDarthEnderX Registered Users Posts: 2,932

The premise to even get the Ogres involved in the god bear story is so flipping tenuous compared to all other races with such apparently low stakes. Just wanting to eat it, seriously that's it. That's lame, quite frankly.

"God meat!"

It's the most Ogre thing ever, and it rules.
    "Assassination's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it."

Djau said:

• Chaos Warriors
    • Beastmen
    • Wood Elves
    • Bretonnia
    • Norsca
    • Tomb Kings
    • Vampire Coast
    • Dwarfs
    • Greenskins
    • Empire
    • Vampire Counts
    • Lizardmen
    • Dark Elves
    • High Elves
    • Skaven
    ?

Many people say Chaos Warriors and Norsca have yet to have their 're-work' but looking back on the history of updates, that's not really true. Chaos Warriors got significant changes and new units, it's just the result was so awful that everyone misremembers this as them having not had a re-work yet. Norsca also had something done to them when CA had to spend months getting them to work in Mortal Empires. I've played the initial monster hunts as Wulfrik from the menu, and despite having the exact same units; a battle I can comfortably win in WH1 has become impossible in WH2. So whatever CA did(they would not answer when asked, but did actually respond only to paint a target on me), it was for the worse and because of it people still think Norsca hasn't had a re-work. Surprise, they are both pre-order DLC; the worst-designed races in the game(also happen to be Chaos-aligned by some coincidence).

So look instead at the quality of the re-works for each race. Beastmen got a good re-work(as good as anything can be in WH as it's designed), but it came only after getting the short-end of the stick since 2016. It only took CA five years to make Beastmen somewhat fun to play. You'll find this is actually the case for any of the DLC races that got a noticeable re-work; only after years of being awful.

Most of the priced DLC for WH1 and WH2 combined are not race packs, but lord packs and none but just two of those lord packs are for DLC races. Many of these lord packs were accompanied by game updates to the races featured in them, so most of these updates in terms of quality and frequency went to non-DLC races. Out of all of them, the Lizardmen and Empire were the only ones that can be considered neglected.

Which DLC races do you think didn't spend most of their time during the life of Warhammer needing updates but waiting ages for anything?
    Chaos Warriors: No, but thats cause CA had to rush to make them a faction cause people complained
    Beastmen: The roster was great its just the mechanics and the missing centerpieces that was a problem. Their ONE lord pack made them amazing (even if OP as hell)
    Wood Elves: The base roster was great; just mechanics needed improving. Their ONE lord pack made them perfect.
    Bretonnia's a FLC race.
    Norsca was peak Race design back when they came in.
    Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast were better than the Core WH2 factions on release.

• ASyrianASyrian Registered Users Posts: 1,269

I will preface this by saying that this only applies if game 2 "rules" apply and new races are not added to the story campaign. I have no way to know otherwise though so for now this is the assumption that can be made.

The premise to even get the Ogres involved in the god bear story is so flipping tenuous compared to all other races with such apparently low stakes. Just wanting to eat it, seriously that's it. That's lame, quite frankly. Not even wanting to fill the god bear with the spirit of the great maw or anything cool like that? Nothing.

Knowing that was all they had in mind for the Ogres means they would and should have just been the first race pack and not the pre order race.

They could have had cauldron mechanics ala Grom and had to go and reclaim their mountain halls from Skaven, Orcs and Dawi of both types. We could have also maybe just maybe had a final battle vs the very last of the Sky Titans or something epic of that nature and lets face it, the Mountains of Mourn could just as easily have place holder factions as the Darklands do and no one would have cared.

And whilst I am talking about Ogres, If the entire "Empire" part of the map is only their for Skragg to destroy and take over then please make sure he does so instead of sitting in his home province doing jack **** for 200 turns. Otherwise it's just a bunch of space we didn't need on the map that could have been used in a much better location *cough* Cathay *cough*. Even more so when Skragg could have been anywhere, including the place he should have started, The Great Maw.

So now we get on to Chorfs.

With the theme of the game being what it is, and these angry little beardy bois being worshipers of a minor chaos deity how is it not a no brainer from day 0 to make these guys part of the main story. I cannot even do the mental gymnastics required to make them NOT an essential starting race for this game. Whoever made this call, CA, GW, Jesus whomever it was it was a poor choice, period.

Compelling them to steal one gods power to infuse with their own and give him big boy status would have been an easy sell to them as a race and to us as players so this is already so much more synergistic with the rest of the races involved than Ogres are.

The Darklands could have even stayed completely occupied by Orcs but controlled by Grimgor and not a lesser faction, with just 2 Chorf strongholds for the LL's to live and expand from.

Honestly how this even happened this way round is astonishing and it's such a waste of potential for both races quite frankly and I am deeply disappointed by the decision that forced CA to do these races in the order that they have.

I hope very much that game 2 "rules" don't apply so that we can see a glorious Chorf campaign that ends in a major chaos god Hashut being born.

Its simple why chorfs werent the preorder. There alrdy is enough chaos.
  • KIT1986KIT1986 Registered Users Posts: 180

They could have had cauldron mechanics ala Grom and had to go and reclaim their mountain halls from Skaven, Orcs and Dawi of both types. We could have also maybe just maybe had a final battle vs the very last of the Sky Titans or something epic of that nature and lets face it, the Mountains of Mourn could just as easily have place holder factions as the Darklands do and no one would have cared....

you expect too much. They have created one campaign because its cheaper than having different ones for different factions. Not even the chaos factions can start in the realm of chaos this is ridiculous.

• ErminazErminaz Senior Member USARegistered Users Posts: 5,903
    edited February 23

The premise to even get the Ogres involved in the god bear story is so flipping tenuous compared to all other races with such apparently low stakes. Just wanting to eat it, seriously that's it.

How is N'Kari's motivation not as low stakes? He only wants to get to Ursun to experience the sorrow of a dying god, something that didn't seem to cross his mind until the advisor mentions it to him as N'Kari already knew what was happening.
    Tacitus Quotes:
    Auferre, trucidare, rapere, falsis nominibus imperium; atque, ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.
    They plunder, they slaughter, and they steal: this they falsely name Empire, and where they make a wasteland, they call it peace.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

I found Rome a city of filth covered marble and left it a pile of rubble. - Me
    edited February 23
    McPhee said:

Aren't OK a cheaper DLC too, ala WoC & Norsca? CD will be the same price as WE, BM, TK and VC.

How? We already have Chaos Dwarf models for engineers and Hellcannon from WoC, which accounts for a small section of the roster, but the visuals + dwarf animation from, well, Dwarfs, cover a significant section of their base troops. You add in Manticores and Centigors for their Lammasu/Taurus and Bull-Centaurs as at least an overall structure, and you have a large section of their roster at least using older models/animations as a basis.

Ogres on the other hand are newly made. Or at least, they were literally just newly made, while making an early appearance in Warhammer 2, which could've just been because they were being made for Warhammer 3 already so CA just ported them back to Warhammer 2. On a basic level, the Ogres needed more work done than the Chaos Dwarfs. I mean, sure, Sabertusks and Gorgers are older animations, but everything Ogre related is new. And even on the more complex models, Chaos Dwarfs might lead in necessary innovation, but not like Ogres got all of their more complex models implemented, with two units missing for DLC later down the line.

Overall, the two races average out in the amount of work that they would require. Race pack + lord pack or a campaign pack, it's not that much different, and these two races wouldn't really require that much more work between the two.

The only REAL reason the Ogres were added rather than Chaos Dwarfs is because of Cathay, who would literally border no proper nations had the Ogres not been added, as Cathay borders neither Kislev nor Chaos Dwarfs. Kislev, on the other hand, borders nations from Warhammer 1 that are true to their name and location, Empire, Sylvania, Norsca.... It would leave Cathay isolated among a sea of placeholders. This came at the expense of Ogres being shoved in, in favor of a more thematic race.