Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Would you like more prologues (short story) for each Lord DLC?

2»

Comments

• busbee247#5862busbee247#5862 Registered Users Posts: 1,323
    if i lived in a world of infinite resources i would say that a prologue campaign for each race would be a good thing, total war as a series does a really poor job of tutorializing so the first playthrough people get annihilated. but i dont live in a world of infinte dev resources so i'd prefer resources go to other things than extensive tutorials
  • destroyer67115destroyer67115 Registered Users Posts: 1,357
    ArneSo said:

Do I want more immersive and flavourful elements in the game? Yes, if and only if models, animations and mechanics won't suffer because of it.

The problem is that all that would suffer because of it. BM and WE already proofed that.
    I completely disagree that they proved that. They only prooved that half arsed campaigns in that style won't work. If we could also play boris, etc in the pack it would have been MUCH better received.

They need to dump or get off the pot. The down the middle narrative doesn't work or please anyone. If you went hard on story and made a new one for each faction that'd be better then what we have now. If you go full sandbox it would be better.

This forced narrative BUT sandbox hybrid just doesn't work. You're locked into the narrative and can see the grass on the other side of the experience.

Let's go ahead and imagine it this way. We are gonna eventually get a nagash campaign pack. You'll have multiple factions trying to raise or stop the resurrection of nagash. I imagine it will come with the founders of the great clans and some Empire factions trying to stop it. Nagash himself is locked behind beating the campaign but the vamp and averland, and brettonian lords are added.

What about a tamurkhan campaign pack?

A game where you play the three lords of eight peaks?

Something rotten in kislev is great and we should keep going that way. Caesar in Gaul, charlamangne, and all the campaign packs weren't bad in Rome or Atilla.

It's the beastmens implementation that sucked. Not the idea itself. Half the beastmen lords weren't even involved. It was garbage. Why throw out the baby with the bathwater when the idea implemented well CAN be amazing and has been great in the past. I don't think anyone has ever complained about medieval 2s campaign packs.
  • Maedrethnir#1968Maedrethnir#1968 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 17,211
    ArneSo said:

Do I want more immersive and flavourful elements in the game? Yes, if and only if models, animations and mechanics won't suffer because of it.

The problem is that all that would suffer because of it. BM and WE already proofed that.
    That's true, and I wouldn't mind price increase to accomodate these features.
  • Captain_Rex#1635Captain_Rex#1635 Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 37,602

ArneSo said:

If they increase the price, I want actual content that I will play more than once. LLs, Units, mechanics…. Mini campaigns are always a waste of resources.
    Summon the Elector Counts!
  • Ironhawk97#2562Ironhawk97#2562 Registered Users Posts: 542
    Sure that would be nice, but the chances of that happening or being necessary are basically zero.

Let's be honest, most people would only play such content once. That's not worth the effort from a developer standpoint. The prologue for WH3 is also the game's tutorial so it's more justifiable.
  • Maedrethnir#1968Maedrethnir#1968 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 17,211
    ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

If they increase the price, I want actual content that I will play more than once. LLs, Units, mechanics…. Mini campaigns are always a waste of resources.
    With this I can't agree. These features aren't mutually exclusive.
  • TheRabidOgreTheRabidOgre Registered Users Posts: 122
    I loved the Prologue and would absolutely love to see more content like it in the future. I don't care that it was linear or short, it was fun and the story was engaging.

My problem with the main campaign isn't so much that it's narrative, but that there is no non-narrative option. Also, a lot of the mechanics are frustrating. However, after playing it a few times, I realized that I did like having a story to follow and a specific goal to reach. I just know that in a sandbox map I'm going to lose interest well before painting the map and even if I've played for 100 hours I'm never going to feel like I accomplished anything without that end point.

I wouldn't want such content to be prioritized though. I think the core of the game should always be grand strategy in an open world. I would not want development time to compromise that core, but with any spare development time I would absolutely love smaller but denser experiences like the Prologue with a good story and no rush in the mechanics.
  • TotalBorehammerTotalBorehammer Registered Users Posts: 1,211

AurioDK said:

Apart from the usual release in a DLC I would love for CA to release an optional prologue for each Lord addition, I loved the prologue for Kislev and actually gave me a good idea on how to play the faction, Kislev is pretty much straight forward anyway.

Besides, I do love a good story, doesn´t have to be long or complicated, just an introduction to the units/lords released.

Making multiple prologues, which are essentially tutorials to learn the game, is one of the more ridiculous ideas I have seen on the forum lately, and that is saying something.

The dev time needs to go into a gazillion things, but multiple tutorials is the last.
    Or turn it into a simple narrative campaign to introduce a new race with new mechanics. The last thing a good idea relies on is your say so.
    No problem, when you have a good idea I will let you know.
    CA have a Facebook page... use the comments section of their posts and express your thoughts on ME poor quality/delays etc https://www.facebook.com/CreativeAssembly/ :)
  • Freden#5415Freden#5415 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 622
    No, for the love of god focus on more important things. But fixes, mod support, IE and I also prefer another siege rework
  • davedave1124#4773davedave1124#4773 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 21,375

AurioDK said:

Apart from the usual release in a DLC I would love for CA to release an optional prologue for each Lord addition, I loved the prologue for Kislev and actually gave me a good idea on how to play the faction, Kislev is pretty much straight forward anyway.

Besides, I do love a good story, doesn´t have to be long or complicated, just an introduction to the units/lords released.

Making multiple prologues, which are essentially tutorials to learn the game, is one of the more ridiculous ideas I have seen on the forum lately, and that is saying something.

The dev time needs to go into a gazillion things, but multiple tutorials is the last.
    Or turn it into a simple narrative campaign to introduce a new race with new mechanics. The last thing a good idea relies on is your say so.
    No problem, when you have a good idea I will let you know.
    Not your line of expertise as already discussed. Stick to making tedious comments, there’s a good lad.
  • talonn#7575talonn#7575 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,868
    hell no. Sandbox IE or bust