Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

About Elden Ring vs. Warhammer numbers

2»

Comments

• MrDragon#2461MrDragon#2461 Registered Users Posts: 3,545

Can you guys stop comparing pears with apples?. If you enjoy Elden Ring, go to their forum and post there. We are here to speak about Warhammer, its pros and cons.

What is next?, comparing Warhammer's numbers with Fortnite's numbers?...

Sigmar, forgives them..

Pears and apples are both fruit though, you can compare them in a lot of ways in how they differ or how they're similar.
    I'd say apples and pears are a very good example actually in this case.
    They're both fruit (games) which both can have lower or higher quality like blemishes on their skin, firmness of their flesh, deformations, seed count etc (bugs, state of optimisation.). Both can be processed further into liquor or a pie or a salad (DLC/Expanions). Both are bought and enjoyed by people who eat fruit (gamers) but not everybody enjoys both.

Now from where I'm sitting, CA sold me a bit of a sour pear that needs to mature a little more before being processed further to make a tasty dessert while Fromsoft sold me a delicious apple that doesn't need any maturing because it's already sweet and succulent as is... though I'll happily try a slice of tasty pie later down the line from the same apple.

So right now I'm enjoying the apple while I leave the pear in the fruitbowl to mature a little more so it tastes more sweet.

Is it a perfect analogy? no... but neither was the argument.

The point is just like all fruit compete at least a little and not everybody enjoys ever fruit, gamers also enjoy more than one genre/theme/style of game and some certainly will like both games but pick one over the other for now.
    The exact number? no idea... but until somebody presents me with some data on how much the playerbase overlaps I'm going to assume there is some overlap at the very least based on my personal experience and anecdotal evidence from others on this very forum plus the massive market success both games are at least on raw sales increasing the likelihood that at least some percentage bought both.
  • SteelRonin#4832SteelRonin#4832 Registered Users Posts: 1,602
    MrDragon said:

Can you guys stop comparing pears with apples?. If you enjoy Elden Ring, go to their forum and post there. We are here to speak about Warhammer, its pros and cons.

Sigmar, forgives them..

Pears and apples are both fruit though, you can compare them in a lot of ways in how they differ or how they're similar.
    They're both fruit (games) which both can have lower or higher quality like blemishes on their skin, firmness of their flesh, deformations, seed count etc (bugs, state of optimisation.). Both can be processed further into liquor or a pie or a salad (DLC/Expanions). Both are bought and enjoyed by people who eat fruit (gamers) but not everybody enjoys both.

Now from where I'm sitting, CA sold me a bit of a sour pear that needs to mature a little more before being processed further to make a tasty dessert while Fromsoft sold me a delicious apple that doesn't need any maturing because it's already sweet and succulent as is... though I'll happily try a slice of tasty pie later down the line from the same apple.

So right now I'm enjoying the apple while I leave the pear in the fruitbowl to mature a little more so it tastes more sweet.

The point is just like all fruit compete at least a little and not everybody enjoys ever fruit, gamers also enjoy more than one genre/theme/style of game and some certainly will like both games but pick one over the other for now.
    The exact number? no idea... but until somebody presents me with some data on how much the playerbase overlaps I'm going to assume there is some overlap at the very least based on my personal experience and anecdotal evidence from others on this very forum plus the massive market success both games are at least on raw sales increasing the likelihood that at least some percentage bought both.
    Ehhh nope. If you are going to compare them in that macro statement, expect macro results. While both are games, in the micro, they are not the same genre, they are not developed by same company, they are not set in the same universe, they are not pointing to the same audience, they are not released in the same date, they don't have the same roadmap, they didn't have the same developed time.

Using your vague argument, i will compare Super Mario with Elden Ring, because both are "games", and it that case, Elden Ring is a piece of crap with 0 chances of success because Super Mario is by far a better game and with high numbers. Lmao

MrDragon said:

Sigmar, forgives them..

Ehhh nope. If you are going to compare them in that macro statement, expect macro results. While both are games, in the micro, they are not the same genre, they are not developed by same company, they are not set in the same universe, they are not pointing to the same audience, they are not released in the same date, they don't have the same roadmap, they didn't have the same developed time.

Using your vague argument, i will compare Super Mario with Elden Ring, because both are "games", and it that case, Elden Ring is a piece of crap with 0 chances of success because Super Mario is by far a better game and with high numbers. Lmao

Uhm... no because you're reducing my argument for no adequate reason.

These are games that came out at around the same time, for a similar price point, featuring comparable aesthetics and themes and there are people who enjoy both games despite their myriad of differences. People who bought both or are interested are going to choose which one to play or even buy if they can't afford to buy both.
    On this forum, and by simple logic of both games selling gangbusters, at least TWWH3 I think sold really well in the first few days of pre-order and again at launch, there is likely going to be overlap.

Dragging Super Mario into the equation doesn't help your argument but undermines it... because it's actually completely removed from the situation and isn't even available on the same platforms and came out literal decades apart.
    I mean yes there are people who both enjoy Super Mario and Warhammer... but that's about it. There is no logical reason to assume there is significant competition from a game that came out on the SNES decades ago for either TWWH3 or Elden Ring.
  • DeadpoolSW#7283DeadpoolSW#7283 Registered Users Posts: 3,154
    God, I'm sick of this argument. It could be Elden Ring, Breath of the Wild 2, FIFA 202who cares, Tom Clancy's CODfield, or god knows what.

People aren't jumping ship because Elden Ring is so great, but because WH3 is so disappointing. I've jumped to Dragon Age: Origins, now Outer Worlds. Neither are drawing players from WH3, WH3 is pushing players away.
    Nagash will rule again!

Justice for Chaos Dwarfs, Araby, Albion, Amazons, Halflings, Nippon, Ind, Khuresh & the Hobgoblin Khanate!

God, I'm sick of this argument. It could be Elden Ring, Breath of the Wild 2, FIFA 202who cares, Tom Clancy's CODfield, or god knows what.

People aren't jumping ship because Elden Ring is so great, but because WH3 is so disappointing. I've jumped to Dragon Age: Origins, now Outer Worlds. Neither are drawing players from WH3, WH3 is pushing players away.

Basically yes. If CA is selling you subpar unripe fruit, you go and buy fruit from a different green grocer until CA's are ripe.
    There's also other RTS games on the horizon, or 4X.
    Stellaris just came with another expansion pack.

Anyway, I still think TWWH3 will bounce back eventually.
  • Dragantis#9204Dragantis#9204 Registered Users Posts: 798
    Comparing Warhammer to Elden Ring is stupid, it is different genres, different player base (may be shared but overall different), different marketing, different streamers (Warhammer is streamed mostly by Warhammer players when Elden Ring is streamers by major streamers).
    Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!
    edited March 2022
    Dragantis said:

Comparing Warhammer to Elden Ring is stupid, it is different genres, different player base (may be shared but overall different), different marketing, different streamers (Warhammer is streamed mostly by Warhammer players when Elden Ring is streamers by major streamers).

Got any hard data to back that up or are you asserting it's "stupid" based on... what?

The "different player base (maybe shared but overall different)" seems like you're inherently unsure about this argument.
    I've at least provided anecdotal evidence from my own observations, other people on this forum and an assumption simply based on both games selling a lot.

(Actually funny that you mentioned streamers because somebody brought up mario and one of my favourite mario maker streamers hopped over to Elden Ring. There's hearthstone streamers that hopped over to Elden Ring too.
    Do not think that's an argument, that's just a few random streamers, just a funny observation.)

Besides, as @DeadpoolSW points out, it doesn't really matter what other games are currently "good" the important thing is that TWWH3 is barely fit for purpose.
    I still play it, played it last night and some more tonight for my 4 chaos gods co-op campaign... but I do so despite how poorly it's currently running, how buggy it is or how the Realm of Chaos campaign mechanic is overall rather poorly received or at the very least controversial enough to be harming the reputation of the game.

But once more for good measure: I think TWWH3 will bounce back.
  • Tyrant#1234Tyrant#1234 Registered Users Posts: 4,186
    Not thrilled at the state of launch for WH3, but I don't get why people keep bringing up Elden Ring.
    They're completely different game genres. WH3 will succeed or fail on its own merits, nothing to do with Elden Ring.
    1234 I declare a thumb war! 5678 I use this hand to mass-debate!
  • FonRestorff#9571FonRestorff#9571 Registered Users Posts: 539
    I tried to rush through a campaign before elden ring hit but didn't have the time. Right before warhammer I had to deal with Sifu as well.

The TW Warhsmmer series is my most played game of all time. It's like a marriage while other games are flirts. I'm sure me and many, many others will be back for the first large update. Game is like a demo right now.
  • drclaw_twdrclaw_tw Registered Users Posts: 289
    Elden Ring was a nice break from WH3. I'm looking forward to returning since the I'm fatigued by the end of ER due to facing so many hard bosses. ER lacks some replayability imo, because you're like 'Do I really wanna face these hard bosses again just with a different build?'. At least it has pvp.
  • Tennisgolfboll#5877Tennisgolfboll#5877 Registered Users Posts: 13,619

I can't be the only one who thinks elden ring and TWW3 are two completely different games that have different-ish audiences... I don't get why these posts keep showing up.

I think here in the forum there is overlap because some forum people jump on the latest fad.

But in general i dont think the games overlap much at all. At most a few percent.

So the fact that people find wh3 boring isnt elden rings fault.
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • Jman5#8318Jman5#8318 Registered Users Posts: 2,178

never liked somersault type of games

I'm really enjoying Elden Ring, but I can't help but feel like the combat would be better without all the rolly-polly nonsense. The game allows all sorts of other combat moves to block or avoid damage and I wish they had leaned more into that.
  • davedave1124#4773davedave1124#4773 Registered Users Posts: 22,661
    Elden Ring is a popular game, it would be rather silly to believe it isn't eating into player numbers.
  • Nyxilis#3646Nyxilis#3646 Registered Users Posts: 7,777

Elden Ring is a popular game, it would be rather silly to believe it isn't eating into player numbers.

The faulty point of the debate, however, is that a popular game surging does not spell doom for certain other games. A lot of players on FFXIV have fallen off because they're playing Elden Ring like mad. Did they drop their subscriptions for FFXIV? No. Will they never come back? No. Already those who were the most hardcore gotta go fast have already come back because their done.

Total Warhammer I, II, and III are different kinds of games. Just like Stellaris, Civ, or Crusader Kings it surges with new DLC or just whenever people get the hankering to come back.
  • #902441#902441 Registered Users Posts: 7,548
    I'll be nice because I've had my wrists slapped already for saying this more coarsely, but we've been through this and come to our conclusions. Must we go through it again multiple times?

-Elden Ring was far more polished, had a better pre-launch and has retained more players than TWW3. This is a fact.

-It is also a fact that the two games are not natural competition for each other, so it doesn't have much relevance.
    For in spite of all temptations. To belong to other nations. He remains an Englishman.
  • davedave1124#4773davedave1124#4773 Registered Users Posts: 22,661
    Nyxilis said:

The faulty point of the debate, however, is that a popular game surging does not spell doom for certain other games. A lot of players on FFXIV have fallen off because they're playing Elden Ring like mad. Did they drop their subscriptions for FFXIV? No. Will they never come back? No. Already those who were the most hardcore gotta go fast have already come back because their done.

Total Warhammer I, II, and III are different kinds of games. Just like Stellaris, Civ, or Crusader Kings it surges with new DLC or just whenever people get the hankering to come back.
    WHs strengths lie in its long term appeal based around the countless factions and the combined map.

The panicky threads are just the same as we always get around release time and take me back to when Norsca came up as an issue.

I'm not even remotely worried at this point despite the thoughts of the many business analysts on this thread.
  • Beast_of_Guanyin#8747Beast_of_Guanyin#8747 Registered Users Posts: 41,234
    cabans33 said:

cabans33 said:

Answering those saying it can't be compared.

I'm not comparing it, I'm saying that right now many players owning warhammer 3 own too Elden ring and it is normal that they lean towards elden ring as the game will not improve with time as WH3 will do.

They will come back to Warhammer 3 as soon as mods / IE are avaliable.

They cannot be compared but they share a high percentage of their player base (of those who own warhammer I would say that around the half own ER too) and people can't play 2 games at the same time

Unless you have a source showing how many own both you simply do not know. It's just guessing.
    Of course, is a guess based on what people comment here and in social media, and if we are speaking of mid agish fantasy theme they are among top 5 games coming in 2022 (if not in top 3)

By your comment it seems taht rest of opinions in forum including yours are based 100% in analytical analysis and exact numbers

Lol
    Nah. Just my opinions. Everything I say is fact smile :).
    I am The Beast of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Drybrush Disciple, Sophisticated Savage.