Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Domination vs old ranked battles?

drogarito92drogarito92 Registered Users Posts: 1,066
edited May 1 in Multiplayer
So which ranked system do you prefer? Domination or old, open-field ranked battles?

Domination vs old ranked battles?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.
Post edited by dge1 on

Comments

• BjornNorlinderBjornNorlinder Registered Users Posts: 843
    Old ranked battles!
    Dom sux
  • drogarito92drogarito92 Registered Users Posts: 1,066
    Old ranked battles!
    Indeed!
  • misunderstoodvampiremisunderstoodvampire Registered Users Posts: 1,277
    Old ranked battles!
    Does anyone know how to turn domination option mode off so you just get land battles? When this game first released I created a land army like I would in Warhammer 2 and was really excited about it. Except every time I queue up I always get domination mode so I always spam quitting out and back in trying to get a land battle and never get it
  • IamNotArobotIamNotArobot Registered Users Posts: 5,440
    Old ranked battles!
    domination is boring to watch land battles aren’t
    *Justice, cats and CONFEDERATION ENABLED for the Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast! feat mummies and Apophas.
    *Exclusive DLCs for Tomb Kings, Vampire Coast, BM, CW and WE! #DLCsAreRacesToo
    *Remaster all WH1 and WH2 faction icons for WH3!
    *Ogre Kingdoms core race or death!
    *Bring back settlement conquering artworks!
    *Gnoblar Carpet for Greesus
    *Improve UI

Old ranked battles!

Does anyone know how to turn domination option mode off so you just get land battles? When this game first released I created a land army like I would in Warhammer 2 and was really excited about it. Except every time I queue up I always get domination mode so I always spam quitting out and back in trying to get a land battle and never get it

You cannot do it since the domination is the new and the only ranked battle. You can only play it with someone hosting the battle, but n
  • LepingLeping Registered Users Posts: 412
    Old ranked battles!
    Total War Licence and Wahammer licence both are about land and siege battle. Make domination the only ranked mode is a betrayal of the TWO licences

It's realy a shame. No respect for everonye who enjoyed multiplayer in Warhammer 1 and 2 for a garbage mobile acarde mode inintersting to play or even watch (for me)

They should allow both modes. I've nothing against trying news thing, but not at the cost of the iconic gameplay who made the series...

They realy pull of Daw of War III **** of it, and without an alternative, it will be the same end: just some moba fan for playing it, and the fan of the licence stick to the previous iterations or campain mode.
  • HelhoundHelhound Registered Users Posts: 5,063
    edited March 28
    Domination mode!
    The problem isn't necessarily that one is superior to the other. It's that ladder matches using just Land Battles are **** cancer. The moment things like the attacking rule and community limits are gone the game devolves into a **** show of corner camping, draw kiting, and abusive spam. CA never really found a way to curtail the problem, and so we resort to a mode that defeats the problem without directly addressing it. I find it amusing when people say that Domination is less like TT as well. Objectives on TT are likewise designed to defeat exactly the same problems and they work to a tee. Domination is just any tournament game of TT in digital form.

Is it perfect? No of course not. The starting armies should be a significant amount larger than they are. The comeback features need to be shifted around both value accumulated and points accumulated to avoid the third round abuse runs that some factions do so love. There is room to tweak it still further. Even still, it sets necessary left and right boundaries for a more competitive environment.
    Old ranked battles!
    I was only playing multiplayer battles in Wh2. I tried 2-3 domination battles and gave up until they replace them old ranked battles
    Old ranked battles!
    Helhound said:

The problem isn't necessarily that one is superior to the other. It's that ladder matches using just Land Battles are **** cancer. The moment things like the attacking rule and community limits are gone the game devolves into a **** show of corner camping, draw kiting, and abusive spam. CA never really found a way to curtail the problem, and so we resort to a mode that defeats the problem without directly addressing it. I find it amusing when people say that Domination is less like TT as well. Objectives on TT are likewise designed to defeat exactly the same problems and they work to a tee. Domination is just any tournament game of TT in digital form.

Wow it's like you never touch Warhammer Battle TT even with a long stick...

How the rules, even some niche specials scenrios, are even near of domination mode with this magicfuck teleported units everywhere, 3 control point, and 1/4 roster at the begining ? Mabye about 40K but battle...

You can like this mode no problem, but you don't have to bend reality to show your point

We don't care if it pure garbage (as i think) or a good one. People who like domination deserve to have the better domination mode they can find. The issue ii's the exclusive and the death of ranked battle

And CA never realy tried to fix this...They introduce capture point in their code but didn't even think about puting this in land battle, juste put one capture point in center of all map, activate after a certain amount of time, and you solve a major part of the pb and you obtain a better mod, by far, than domination.
  • ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,006
    Domination fixed many old land battle issues, while introducing several new ones.

It's a lateral move, with a new basket of problems different from the old basket of problems.

I'm not 100% sure how to fix it, but a nice start would be to stop players from being able to 'resummon' units that have been wiped out. This would make engagements matter more than just 'capturing the points'.
    Old ranked battles!
    Am I the only one that thinks that ranked multiplayer battles are ignored by the multiplayer community?
  • HelhoundHelhound Registered Users Posts: 5,063
    Domination mode!
    Leping said:

Helhound said:

Wow it's like you never touch Warhammer Battle TT even with a long stick...

How the rules, even some niche specials scenrios, are even near of domination mode with this magicfuck teleported units everywhere, 3 control point, and 1/4 roster at the begining ? Mabye about 40K but battle...

You can like this mode no problem, but you don't have to bend reality to show your point

We don't care if it pure garbage (as i think) or a good one. People who like domination deserve to have the better domination mode they can find. The issue ii's the exclusive and the death of ranked battle

And CA never realy tried to fix this...They introduce capture point in their code but didn't even think about puting this in land battle, juste put one capture point in center of all map, activate after a certain amount of time, and you solve a major part of the pb and you obtain a better mod, by far, than domination.
    I did actually play TT. Quite a bit for about 20 years. The objective based game modes I'm referencing have nothing to do with the deceased 8th edition and everything to do with how GW has advanced all Warhammer IP's since. Objective based game modes fixed the "troop tax" dilemma that plagued WFB. It solves the boys vs toys list building balance, and it expedites tournament play. When Old World comes back around you bet your ass they'll have objectives key to victory same as all other Warhammer scenes. I do agree though that the current reinforcement to starting stacks balance is ****.

You're correct in saying that CA did nothing to alleviate the issues plaguing ranked ladder. What the hell could they do. The basic mechanics betray the system. Where do you balance the land battle lines for the single capture point you suggest. How long must it be held to win? Just long enough to discourage draw kiting, but then why does it exist at all. If wiping the enemy army is the ideal end point then your suggestion solves only draw kiting. Spams still a problem. Corner camping won't go away if they can pummel you while you protect a point that will not win you the game. It also introduces a new problem. That single obj you suggest will control the flow of every map if it becomes the prefered win condition.

Therein lies the problem. What is the win condition? If it's killing off the enemy then an obj can't be anymore than a bandaid solution to a singular form of ****. You haven't fixed Land ranked miraculously, and community tournaments remain the only hope. If OBJ's are the win con, then people need to be able to play the objs and win by them. If a Slaanesh kill stack can rush you down and table you before you play the mode as intended then the mode, isn't, working. That's where the reinforcements come in. Again, I stress that the game mode isn't perfect. The starting stacks are far too small, and the reinforcement pool should really just be a sidebar clutch pick. A way to get back in the fight, not the basis of the fight.
  • White-PaladinWhite-Paladin Registered Users Posts: 67
    Old ranked battles!
    DOM sucks.
  • Fingolfin_the-GoldenFingolfin_the-Golden Registered Users Posts: 4,865
    Domination mode!

domination is boring to watch land battles aren’t

I find them fun to play.
    I don’t care what they are like to watch.
    BEARS, Beets, Battlestar Galactica 🧝‍♀️ Pandas too please CA!
  • GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 6,058
    Old ranked battles!
    Domination Battles loses all the scale and climax present in Land Battles

In Domination, you keep playing....and then suddenly one side wins
  • Fingolfin_the-GoldenFingolfin_the-Golden Registered Users Posts: 4,865
    Domination mode!

Am I the only one that thinks that ranked multiplayer battles are ignored by the multiplayer community?

I think multiplayer is ignored by the multiplayer community.
    BEARS, Beets, Battlestar Galactica 🧝‍♀️ Pandas too please CA!
  • AsamuAsamu Registered Users Posts: 1,409
    Domination mode!
    Domination mode has the groundwork for making a solid competitive mode without outside rules. Land battles don’t. Even in the discord for ranked land battles now, as well as in tournaments, mods frequently have to review games to verify whether or not a player broke the community rules; it’s just not sustainable for quick battle ranked play.

Domination mode could certainly use improvements, but it already doesn’t need the policing that land battles do, which CA will never involve themselves in outside of unit caps.

Obviously, the best answer would be to have both available for ranked QB with separate ladders and let players play what they want though.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 23,377
    Folks, be very careful on the personal remarks you might include in your post rebuttal or point.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

Old ranked battles!
    Helhound said:

Well i was maybe supposed to guess you don't talk about Wharmmer Batlle by GW in ll of his iterations but some tournement environnement (whith WYSIWYG **** and stuff)

You bet my as it will be objective, mabye, i bet your ass you don't have 1/4 at your army at start and dumb reiforcement everywhere. The betray and immersion break is still here in this game and old world will not change that

As you said the capture point solve draw kiting, it's far than enough, it solve dumb skirmish comp and some build roulette issue. I don't see a problem with corner camp (with an objective you have to contest at some point, and you can always work around a defensive position if your comp don't suck) and spam who are not a issue either because the player take risk to be hard countered

The reiforcement come in as a lorebreaking and inintersting way to make mobamination work, without successing (I don't know where it's better, for me, than a land battle with a objective point).
    It will still be melee grind, it will be still boring to watch (death of the scene), most of the faction will never work, it will still be no Total War and no Warhammer. It's a game mode who, i don't know why, becaume the only one playable in ranked, and this unicity is the unique issue to solve.
  • Overlord87Overlord87 Registered Users Posts: 987
    Old ranked battles!
    Domination is ok, and it will be better once they increase starting armies.

But standard battles are better. More entertaining.
  • underwaterkingunderwaterking Registered Users Posts: 11
    Old ranked battles!
    Just make two different ladders and everybody happy
  • BlaeysBlaeys Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,312
    Domination mode!
    I voted Domination mode because I believe it takes some of the cheese out of the fight - and that was desperately needed after Warhammer 2. I had several fights on ladder in WH2 in which the opponent would spam flyers or skirmish cav - making the fight impossible to win because I brought a balanced build. Domination mode takes some of the cheesability out of those strategies (not to mention corner camping).

That said, I agree that open field battles, when both players bring strategic balanced builds, are much more fun to watch much of the time (not all - Ive seen some really exciting domination matches).

What I would like to see is rotating seasons or even automated tournaments in PVP. Rotate the map types involved with the ladder/auto join daily or weekly. I also think the automated tournament model other games use would work here (and would even allow for for some fun FFA or even siege battle pvp opportunities).
  • MrDragonMrDragon Registered Users Posts: 3,373
    Domination mode!
    As somebody who played competitive TT back in 6th edition: I prefer domination mode. Objective based battles to force commitment and engagement makes sense to me.

That said, Domination is far from the refinement TWWH needed but I think it did more things right than it did wrong.
    I think Land Battles would have also worked if they somehow incorporated objective based gameplay.
    I do not have an answer for how to fix the problems with either, but I know what I prefer.
  • Omega_WarriorOmega_Warrior Registered Users Posts: 1,372
    Domination mode!
    Domination sucks right now, but it’s way too early to give up on it yet. we haven’t even gotten a single major patch yet.

A multiplayer focused mode to refine online play was very much needed. I’d much more prefer that they continue to make improvements to domination then give up and be stuck with the issues of land battle forever.
  • Gunter_von_StroheimGunter_von_Stroheim Registered Users Posts: 54
    Obviously both are needed. If the question is online and searching for a match, then let me prioritize the search. This way I can understand that if the game gives me a mode with not the highest priority, then I will not be able to play what I want at the moment and I will have a choice whether to accept a match in another mode or just not play. Very simple.
  • Data5Data5 Registered Users Posts: 461
    Old ranked battles!
    I would like a land battle with a flag in the middle. Not 3 flags and no reinforcement. Also activate the flag like 5 min into the game.
  • White-PaladinWhite-Paladin Registered Users Posts: 67
    Old ranked battles!
    Data5 said:

I would like a land battle with a flag in the middle. Not 3 flags and no reinforcement. Also activate the flag like 5 min into the game.

It was as simple as adding that and that's it
  • OddzillaOddzilla Registered Users Posts: 390
    Old ranked battles!
    I don't play multiplayer, but I do watch tournaments sometimes, and land battles are far more interesting to watch than domination battles.

Though I suppose land battles without enforced tourny rules would likely be less fun to watch than domination battles.
  • talonntalonn Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,501
    Old ranked battles!
    Classic Land Battles with 1 capture point is the best solution. But for some reason CA dont see that...
  • AllIsChaosAllIsChaos Registered Users Posts: 15
    Old ranked battles!
    They're just better. Domination looks fun, but ties the player too much to a specific playstyle, so I'm not sure if I like that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file