Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

What does the state of the game say about content creators from youtube?

KandraxKandrax Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 325
edited April 7 in Total War General Chat
The title! They were all saying the game was great, fabulous, and so on. And then we get this, a cheap, almost mobile-like unfinished game with abysmal mechanics.
Post edited by dge1 on

Comments

• KandraxKandrax Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 325

Kandrax said:

almost mobile-like

People really just say this without knowing what it means, don't they?
    I'm glad you are enjoying the game.
  • OdTengriOdTengri Registered Users Posts: 8,403
    The game is pretty good... but it cant provide the variety of content that Game 2 can provide with all of Game 1 already folded into it.

Just from the perspective of watching multiplayer battles the 14 different factions of Game 1+2 all with multiple expansions to their unit roster will always provide more varied and complicated matchups than the 8 factions of Game 3 with no DLC units.
  • LegendaryArticunoLegendaryArticuno Registered Users Posts: 501
    Every streamer had the full game for more than a month before launch and none of them spoke up or provided any sort of meaningful feedback.
  • Mogwai_ManMogwai_Man Registered Users Posts: 5,629
    That they held back criticisms due to their NDA's.

Dozens of them explicitly said the game was great.
    edited April 6
    busbee247 said:

Kandrax said:

Kandrax said:

almost mobile-like

you can say you dont like the game without immediately losing 100% of your credibility by calling it a mobile game, fun fact if you do, people might just take your opinion seriously!
    It certainly feels that way, like a mobile game.
  • Mogwai_ManMogwai_Man Registered Users Posts: 5,629
    Kandrax said:

I meant negative ones.
  • SultschiemSultschiem Registered Users Posts: 3,090

Kandrax said:

almost mobile-like

No idea where they have that from either.
    Game got too much color when they wanted something darker? MOBILE GAME!!
    Game is a bit grindy? MOBILE GAME!

How this has anything to do with a mobile game?
    Maybe its because some fake mobile game adds show big armies fighting?

Maybe they have it from Tiktok or something
  • mecanojavi99mecanojavi99 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 8,618
    How does the unnecessary hyperbole help you make a point?

And honestly, I never trust what a youtuber says before release, they are prohibited by their NDAs from making anything that could be considered a review, that includes pointing issues, a general "I like the game" doesn't count as that, you should always wait for the first week after release to watch reviews to get the full picture.
    "By the fires of Hashut, let them burn in the flames of eternal torment!"
    - Anonymous
  • MisterSquidMisterSquid Florida, USARegistered Users Posts: 2,019
    Kandrax said:

busbee247 said:

Kandrax said:

Kandrax said:

almost mobile-like

you can say you dont like the game without immediately losing 100% of your credibility by calling it a mobile game, fun fact if you do, people might just take your opinion seriously!
    How so? I have never heard anybody who has said this able to explain what about Total War Warhammer III is "mobile gamey".
    Remember: there's no reason to get angry on the forums. Be polite and respectful towards other people's opinions, even if you disagree.

Let Slip the Dogs of War - A fanmade Campaign Pack concept
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/303462/let-loose-the-dogs-of-war-a-fanmade-campaign-pack-concept
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 23,318
    Side conversation remarks containing trolling and/or personal derogatory remarks removed, along with several quoting those remarks in a responding post.

Keep your personal bias's out of the conversation folks. State your opinion without rancor and insulting references, and keep the remarks on topic, not those with differing opinions.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

• ArsenicArsenic Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    There's a certain amount of smoke-blowing up CA's bottom one would expect from people whose YouTube channels are all but dependent on a good relationship with CA, you would expect the game praised as the greatest thing since my upper thighs, minor bugs skipped over or downplayed, stuff like that.

But they were put in a bit of a "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation here, for which I can have a modicum of sympathy.

Did they either break the NDA and lose the early access that was their source of views and income by being honest about the state of the game (which we will diplomatically call "unpolished"), or did they keep quiet and deal with the potential loss of views from viewers after release who felt, rightly, misled by them?

It was a difficult decision, and I can't blame them all for choosing the latter. Losing viewers wasn't/isn't as certain as losing early access. But they do have to own the decision they made, not try and disown it now by releasing highly critical videos, as a few have tried to do.
    For in spite of all temptations. To belong to other nations. He remains an Englishman.
  • HeresyHoundHeresyHound Registered Users Posts: 8,255

Kandrax said:

busbee247 said:

Kandrax said:

Kandrax said:

almost mobile-like

How so? I have never heard anybody who has said this able to explain what about Total War Warhammer III is "mobile gamey".
    It’s the same as people complaining that it is too MOBA-like.

It’s just nonsense buzzwords people throw out at things they don’t like.
  • ArsenicArsenic Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    What should really concern the OP more is the gaming media that gave the game 8-9/10 scores.

They don't have the excuse of dependency like the YouTubers do.
    For in spite of all temptations. To belong to other nations. He remains an Englishman.
  • ConstantineZAynConstantineZAyn Registered Users Posts: 858
    Shills. Look at Legend, he gave the RoC campaign an 8.5 and said it was better than the release TWW2 vortex.

A week or so after release, he made a video yelling at CA and saying people shouldn't buy their games. Tells you all you need to know.
    #JusticeForTzeentch
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 12,453
    edited April 7
    It is almost as if the content creators make their money off CA products
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,316
    Say? It laughs.
  • JerroserJerroser Registered Users Posts: 669
    Arsenic said:

There's a certain amount of smoke-blowing up CA's bottom one would expect from people whose YouTube channels are all but dependent on a good relationship with CA, you would expect the game praised as the greatest thing since my upper thighs, minor bugs skipped over or downplayed, stuff like that.

But they were put in a bit of a "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation here, for which I can have a modicum of sympathy.

Did they either break the NDA and lose the early access that was their source of views and income by being honest about the state of the game (which we will diplomatically call "unpolished"), or did they keep quiet and deal with the potential loss of views from viewers after release who felt, rightly, misled by them?

It was a difficult decision, and I can't blame them all for choosing the latter. Losing viewers wasn't/isn't as certain as losing early access. But they do have to own the decision they made, not try and disown it now by releasing highly critical videos, as a few have tried to do.

When it comes to the TW You Tubers and other video game related content creators with early access in general, I've always felt that most of what they say and show needs to be taken pitch of salt. Simply because due to their position, either through direct NDA's or just not wanting to risk their relationship with CA, they're always going to at the very least be as diplomatic as they can when talking about bugs or other issues with the game.

I recall in one of the videos LoTW did after voicing his actual opinion of the RoC campaign, he pretty much openly said (though a bus analogy) that during the pre-release phase, the content creators are stuck following CA's lead for the most part and had to hold back on voicing how much they disliked the campaign format.
  • NeodeinosNeodeinos Registered Users Posts: 14,488

Shills. Look at Legend, he gave the RoC campaign an 8.5 and said it was better than the release TWW2 vortex.

A week or so after release, he made a video yelling at CA and saying people shouldn't buy their games. Tells you all you need to know.

And if you actually watched if review you'd know he recommended people to not buy the game in his review despite the score he gave. He also said to not pay too much attention to the score he gave because he's not good at this but obviously it's the only thing people are using to portray Legend as a shill. Seriously it's fine to criticise him but at least check your bloody information before spreading nonsense.

• davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 19,530
    edited April 7
    This as been said so many times I wonder if people are being selective at this point. He pointed out the issues he had with the game and he said the campaign mechanics were awful as soon as the NDA on reviews ceased (before release btw). He also pointed out that a lot of the bugs connected to the game and playstyle he used were only pointed out afterwards by another Youtuber. He could only go off his own subjective experience, if he wasn't aware of performance issues or bugs that only came to light afterwards, how could he apply that to his score? He played the game, enjoyed the game and didn't experience performance issues, it's that simple.

There were also lots of Youtubers who pointed out the issues they had with the game before the game was released. There's not a lot they can do if people buy the game after their NDA ceases that's up to the consumer.

And for those claiming LoTW depends on CA that’s actually BS, he managed to grow his channel fine even after he was blacklisted.
    Post edited by davedave1124 on
  • simonboiksimonboik Registered Users Posts: 65
    Kandrax said:

The title! They were all saying the game was great, fabulous, and so on. And then we get this, a cheap, almost mobile-like unfinished game with abysmal mechanics.

They had an embargo on them where they signed an agreement where they are not allowed to critisise the game until a certain date that CA allowed them to.

blame CA not the content creators
  • simonboiksimonboik Registered Users Posts: 65
    Neodeinos said:

And if you actually watched if review you'd know he recommended people to not buy the game in his review despite the score he gave. He also said to not pay too much attention to the score he gave because he's not good at this but obviously it's the only thing people are using to portray Legend as a shill. Seriously it's fine to criticise him but at least check your bloody information before spreading nonsense.
    He made a mistake in selling his soul to help CA sell a bad game yes.

But as of today there is definetley no other you-tuber who is actively criticizing CA as much as he is.

He has gone full hardcore open war on them.

Legends every second word is bagging out CA, yet all the other sheep like milkandcookies, loremaster, zerkovich and heirofcarthage are still blowing smoke up CAs A$$.

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 35,552
    I think you largely ruin a good topic by calling it a Mobile game. That's just not true. Like it's not even close.

That said to respond to the topic I feel sympathetic for the people deceived by content creators. They praised the game when it was convenient, now it's convenient to criticize it so they are. They're objectively liars. I genuinely feel bad for the people deceived by them, and for the people still defending them.

I'm all for content creators getting the bag when they can, but they're still accountable for their actions. Now the opinions of these creators are basically worthless because they're demonstrably just saying whatever's convenient.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

"I like small words" - Winsy C

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu usurper, pog wog warrior, poggers patroller

• davor999davor999 Registered Users Posts: 121
    Legend seems to have gone too far, for a game that he still seems to enjoy playing, despite the poorly designed Choas Realm, which is now functional, but could have been so much better.

Seems like Legend is now criticizing mostly to appease what he think his audience want to hear.
  • xDEMOSxxDEMOSx Registered Users Posts: 1,155
    Content creators have their income tied to the success of the game, most are specialized only in TW.

They were hoping as much as CA for the game to do well, and now they're all hoping that IE will fix everything and the player base will come back, but deep down it's kind of obvious that they're all pretty worried about it.

They lied about the state of the campaign, most of them, thinking only and exclusively about themselves, practically none of them have credibility for analysis, they are just CA dogs, they will only bark if CA makes a change that directly harms them like loss of access to early acess content.

• TotalBorehammerTotalBorehammer Registered Users Posts: 1,211
    Kandrax said:

Youtubers livelihoods are directly tied into remaining in CA's good graces and as such they will not anger CA by dumping on their game or breaking strict NDA's, at the time of a game release which generates so many views and subscribes vs any other time.

If you are expecting Youtubers to put a sense of morality and ethics above their livelihoods then you are going to be disappointed nine times out of ten... they are just regular guys who make videos about stuff we like.
    CA have a Facebook page... use the comments section of their posts and express your thoughts on ME poor quality/delays etc https://www.facebook.com/CreativeAssembly/ :)
  • petherpether Registered Users Posts: 176
    I don't understand why people hate Legend so much.

Even before release he said that Soul Race is 2/10 and he utterly hates it to the point he always ignores it because playing it is a pain.

Other parts of the game are fine (sure, there are some bugs here and there, but overall its fine). And WH3 is much better than WH2 on a release day - that one had 4 races (here we got 8) and their race mechanics were pretty poor compared to WH3 quality.

So the game itself is not a problem - the rifts are. And this is exactly what Legend said in his videos. Not sure what other creators siad, but you can't blame Legend that the game is bad. Sure, you can hate his playstyle, his personality, etc, but blaming him for no reason is just stupid.
  • HerrSignoreHerrSignore Registered Users Posts: 321
    Some people just refuse to acknowledge the situation. "Content creators" are CA's marketing arm. They will dance to CA's tune and, as has been proven multiple times in the past, if they stop dancing CA will not hesitate to cut them loose.

Some of these Youtubers earn not-insignificant sums of money from their videos, meaning it is in their interest to keep the videos and clickbait rolling. CA and the Youtuber have a mutually symbiotic relationship - CA get advertising from these gurning, guffawing circus acts, Youtubers get ad revenue like there's no tomorrow.

The only losers are everyone else. A Youtuber's main priority isn't to keep the fans informed; it's to keep income coming in. Being honest and truthful comes way down the list.