Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

What RL culture would you like to see a warhammer version off?

sykall#1105sykall#1105 Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 3,026
edited April 2022 in General Discussion
Hey everyone,

I wanted to spur a community discussion among the history fans of the TWW games.

As we all know a lot of WFB is based on classic fantasy tropes mixed with history. A mixture I see as a strength of WFB.
It is very easy to understand the setting, what the Modus Operandi of faction X is how factions deal with another. Just by looking at a map and using the whatever common knowledge you have about history or fantasy tropes.
Making the setting easy to access, before going deeper into ot.

Now by and large there are roughly 3 categories of warhammer factions.

1. Historical nations given a few new toys and magic. Like how the Empire is very close to the late HRR but with magic and steamtanks.
2. Historical based factions but with a fantasy twist. E.g. Tomb Kings, who are ancient egyptians, but all undead.
3. Fantasy based factions with influences of historical cultures or mythology. E.g. How the WE incorperate a lot of celtic motives. Or how skaven with their "wunderwaffen", mad sciences and Stormvermin take a few nods from Nazi Germany.

Now there is a whole plethora of prestigous human cultures and societies on our planet. And I wanted to know what human culture you would like to see a warhammerified version of. Anything which is not currently part of the setting anyway (for example India and Japan are already covered by Ind and Nippon).

Just name your culture, why you think its cool to see in warhammer, and which of my three categories you would place the warhammerized version.

For example, a classic example from me would be a human Southland faction based on Ethiopia and the Swahili coast.

I like ethiopia whose culture stretches back more than 2000 years. It was one of the very first nations to adopt Christianity (before rome did) and was never fully conquered by a european power.
It also offers various unique things to the warhammer palett. E.g. the shotel, a long -sickle-like curved sword meant to circumvent enemy shields.
And from the long cultural history if this region other things could be added. E.g. among the folklore of the rough region are tales of were-hyeanas and were-lions. And Ethiopia is rumored to house the Ark of the Covenant too.

So a human warhammer nation based on Ethiopia and eastern Africa, sounds very interesting to me.

But what about you? What other warhammerized cultures would you like to see and why?
Be it a warhammer version of carthage or of polynesia or off a native american tribe or korea or Greece or Byzanz or Persia or whatever you may want to see. From all across time and space.

Edit: a misspelling removed
Filling the white spots - 7 made-up factions to enrich the empty parts of the WFB setting
https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/288418/filling-the-white-spots-7-made-up-factions-to-fill-out-the-wfb-setting
Post edited by dge1 on

Comments

• TotalBorehammerTotalBorehammer Registered Users Posts: 1,211
    sykall said:

So a human warhammer nation based on Ethiopia and eastern Africa, sounds very interesting to me.

But what about you? What other warhammerized cultures would you like to see and why?

You mean Khuresh? https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Hinterlands_of_Khuresh#:~:text=The Hinterlands of Khuresh, also,of the Gates of Calith.
    CA have a Facebook page... use the comments section of their posts and express your thoughts on ME poor quality/delays etc https://www.facebook.com/CreativeAssembly/ :)
  • sykall#1105sykall#1105 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,026

sykall said:

You mean Khuresh? https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Hinterlands_of_Khuresh#:~:text=The Hinterlands of Khuresh, also,of the Gates of Calith.
    Maybe a bit more context to your remark. From your quoted area and short text I cannot decipher what you want to say.
    Do you want to say khuresh is based on Ethiopia or even a human nation?

Because its not. Its based on South-East Asia.

Or do you want to talk about Khuresh specificly?
    Filling the white spots - 7 made-up factions to enrich the empty parts of the WFB setting
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/288418/filling-the-white-spots-7-made-up-factions-to-fill-out-the-wfb-setting
  • PoorManatee6197#6481PoorManatee6197#6481 Registered Users Posts: 2,600
    +1 for Ethiopia, I always though the southlands needed a human empire.

Another faction that would be cool is some short of native americans in Naggaroth, some tribes using guerrilla warfare against the dark elfs and the chaos warbands that come from the north, with help of things like wendigo and spirit animals.
    #MakeDwarfsGreatAgain Josef Bugman, Thorek Ironbrow, Alrik Ranulfsson, Grimm Burloksson, Kazador Thunderhorn, Byrrnoth Grundadrakk, Malakai Makaisson, Gotrek Gurnisson, Garagrim, Dragon slayer, Deamon slayer, Doomseekers, Brotherhood of Grimnir, Giant slayers, Thunderbarge, Shieldbearer mount, Master brewer, Goblin Hewer, Norse dwarf war mammoth, Tractator engine, Rune golem, Shard dragon, proper Anvil of Doom, Ulther's dragon company, Lond Drong's slayer pirates, Everguard, Karak Varn, Karag Agrilwutraz, Karaz Bryn, Karag Dum, Karak Vlag, Kraka Dorden, Kraka Ornsmotek, Kraka Ravnsvake, Karak Vrag, Karak Azorn, Karak Krakaten.

All those missing things are grudges in the great book, is in your hand to settle them, CA. Khazukan kazakit-ha!

IT'S HOBGOBBO TIME!!!!!!!
    #JusticeForKurgan
  • KhorneBull#5991KhorneBull#5991 Registered Users Posts: 398
    edited April 2022
    Zulu.

Edit:Maybe Ashanti as a Chaos factions.
  • Mr_Finley7#4571Mr_Finley7#4571 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,417
    Agree 100%, Ethiopia/Aksum was fascinating, also oldest dynasty (Solomonic) in human history.

But what I want the most is Nippon.
  • #324448#324448 Florida, USARegistered Users Posts: 2,146
    Personally, I'm kinda done with factions that are based off of real-life cultures. I like the ones we have, both the playable ones and the ones that exist as background material in the setting, but I really don't think we should have any more. I think we could have some nods to mythologies from real life cultures in future factions but I'd prefer if they were primarily based off of fantasy tropes.

So I guess mark me down for option 3.
    Remember: there's no reason to get angry on the forums. Be polite and respectful towards other people's opinions, even if you disagree.

Let Slip the Dogs of War - A fanmade Campaign Pack concept
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/303462/let-loose-the-dogs-of-war-a-fanmade-campaign-pack-concept
  • Heretical_Cactus#7598Heretical_Cactus#7598 Registered Users Posts: 3,034
    Maybe the Maori ?

Though they are somewhat similar to the LM if you don't take a good look
  • JToegiTheSnotling#6624JToegiTheSnotling#6624 Registered Users Posts: 2,403
    Japan and Pacific Islanders are both really interesting cultures. Also the Mongols.

Oh please GW and CA whatever new races you want to do. Make them very fantastical. No more of this irl nation copied and pasted into Warhammer. That'd be nice.
  • saweendra#3399saweendra#3399 Registered Users Posts: 19,549
    Ind araby nippon kuresh and something based on african culture ethopia , zulu...etc or mixture of them.

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

Jote191 said:

Japan and Pacific Islanders are both really interesting cultures. Also the Mongols.

Oh please GW and CA whatever new races you want to do. Make them very fantastical. No more of this irl nation copied and pasted into Warhammer. That'd be nice.

So category 2 or 3 then. Like maori sea elves or maori based fish people.
  • #902441#902441 Registered Users Posts: 7,499
    Hmm.

When Games Workshop did "African", what it came up with was The Pygmies, which you probably don't need to be looking up. Am amazed it was considered acceptable in the UK at the time, never mind it definitely not flying there now.

So be careful what you wish for! But then again, I think if they'd have done Cathay back then it would have been people in triangular straw hats and long moustaches fighting with chopsticks, their mindsets seem to have changed with time, thankfully.

It's as good an idea as any other I've seen. If they're creating out of thin air, I don't see why not.
    For in spite of all temptations. To belong to other nations. He remains an Englishman.

Another faction that would be cool is some short of native americans in Naggaroth, some tribes using guerrilla warfare against the dark elfs and the chaos warbands that come from the north, with help of things like wendigo and spirit animals.

Yeah Naggaroth and Lustria could really benefit from more original factions. They are very empty in their current state.

Do you have a specific culture in mind? Haudenosaunee, Lakota, Seminoles?

IIRC oldhammer had Lakota-inspired Centaurs.
    Red_Dox said:

What?

Why?

-----Red Dox

I still have hope for Araby. Please CA/GW!
  • DreamTraveler3DreamTraveler3 Registered Users Posts: 47
    Oh this is something I think about regularly haha.

I personally have four big ones that I'm really interested in seeing get eventual representation.

1. Native Americans

This is a culture that I've always loved a lot and been fascinated by. Everything from their clothing, weapons, mounted warfare tactics, and deep and fascinating mythology of the various indigenous tribes would make for a fantastic Warhammer race imo. Regular infantry could be mostly light but swift featuring spearmen, tomahawk throwers, bowmen, atlatls, bola spinners, clubs, hatchets, knives, shields, appropriated guns, and others. They could have Shaman with their own "Lore of the Spirits" and other magical units like the cursed and shapeshifting skinwalkers. There's also all kinds of really cool animal-like mythical creatures to draw inspiration from: owl witches, wendigo, thunderbirds, giant snakes, deer women, and more. That's on top of the normal creature possibilities like buffalo, wolves, and coyotes.

I could even see different major tribal groups having their own unique look to their units and possibly some unique stuff, particularly the Inuit tribes of the north with things like dog sleds and different arctic animals.

They would just be really, really cool I feel and they've long been a thing I've always thought was missing from the Warhammer world. I mean if Lustria could be so stuff with other native factions besides the Lizardmen like the Vampire Coast and Amazons they're could be a few more in Naggaroth too yeah? On that note the Dark Elves offer a perfect standin for a hostile foreign culture attempting to hunt them and drive them from their lands.

Of course, they might not be the only option for such a historical parallel. There can also be...

2. The American Settlers

At one point in the distant past Games Workshop made a game called Warhammer Historical: Legends of the Old West. It was an awesome miniatures game that allowed you to host games of lawmen vs outlaws played out in wild western towns, farms, and open fields. Now as a passionate fan of both the Wild and Weird West genres as well as American folklore in general I would personally adore getting a faction that represents early American explorers and settlers and their attempt to tame a savage land. There's just so much to draw from, and not only from the west but the eastern forested regions of the continent too. You might say an 19th century-inspired culture might be a little too late to fit into Fantasy's themes and portrayals, but I'd argue that considering how it has it's own self-made mythology and established fantasy tropes it would fit just fine.

The dream of the "American Frontier" as inspired by both the real history of the continent and it's popularized portrayal in various films, books, and other media would be a treasure trove of interesting material to draw from for a unit roster maps, and scenarios for the game. From the "Wild West" tropes there could be cowboys/girls with pistols, whips, rifles, and shotguns, sheriffs, marshals, outlaws (of which there are many famous ones that could help inspire Legendary Lords or Heroes), banditos, stage coaches, train-inspired fantasy contraptions, robberies, bounty hunters, saloon girls, doctors, miners with pickaxes and sticks of dynamite, immigrants from Cathay and other countries, and many animals from the western plains.

The "Weird West" (which is also the name of an awesome game that was just released lol) is another genre that could then add the fantasy to the faction. There could be a new Vampire faction here resurrecting undead cowboys/girls and townsfolk. Literal ghost riders in the sky could be a thing. A lot of Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare and Darkwatch (PS2 and Xbox game) stuff that makes up one of the popular tropes of the genre. You could also throw in various Fearsome Critters (more on them in a minute) or even something out there like UFOs and vaguely understood aliens given how the presence of Area 51 and reports from the later 20th century have given their urban legend mark on the area and thus a common place in Weird West stories. Animal men, hidden cults, and other things could also be cool ideas.

Turning our attention towards the east and diving into the mythology of the more established regions there could be similar horse mounted officers represented here as well. Maybe not the Napoleonic-era-looking Revolutionary War uniforms (though that's always a possibility lol) but the roaming settler image for both the townsfolk and soldiers could match here too. In this region the thick forests could give us lumberjacks and fur traders, and from a more magical, fantasy perspective there could be various interesting ideas for units. The witches of Salem and the mystery of Roanoke, American literary characters like the Headless Horseman and others, and perhaps most prominently Fearsome Critters (told you I'd get back to them( and tall tale folk heroes. Fearsome Critters are essentially the mythical creatures of North America (at least from a settler perspective). Many of them are these curious, weird animals invented by lumberjacks to pass the time and tease newcomers, while others come from miners or old folktales. Some really prominent examples are The Jersey Devil (another neat thing that could be tied to the Salem/northeastern witches) and Sasquatches. One of my personal favorites is the Snallygaster, a giant dragon with a bird beak and tentacles inspired by the superstitions of early German immigrants. It's commonly associated with the county of Frederic in Maryland and many people used "hex signs" painted on the sides of buildings and barns to ward off the beast. There's also popular cryptids like Mothman that could maybe be used as well if they're not too modern.

As for tall tale folk heroes, those would be the mythical giants in both stature and deed that settled and tamed the land according to the early workers and settlers of the country. People like Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox, Alfred Bulltop Stormalong, Pecos Bill, Febold Feboldson, and several more, alongside the mythologized legends of real people like Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett.

In all there is a metric boatload of stuff that could help create a really interesting, fun, and unique faction inspired by the early American settlers that I would absolutely adore seeing.

The image of a perpetually foggy London either steeped in rain or glowing beneath the stars has basically become a fantasy setting in it's own right. A place where everyone dresses in fancy clothing, science and engineering are reaching new heights, and strange legends and mysteries abound has inspired everything from Steampunk, Gaslamp Fantasy, detective stories, urban legends, tales of the plague, a ton of classic English literature and much more. Like the previous two cultures, the Victorians would be an absolutely amazing source of fantasy ideas and tropes that could be represented in Warhammer. I could easily see it existing as this advanced, mostly independent but massive city representing fantasy London located somewhere either in or nearby the region of Bretonnia, and established by the cultural elite and scientifically minded of the Old World flocking together to establish their own place where they could flourish in peace maybe. It could also be a really fun way to bring the charm of a faction like the Kharadron Overlords over to the Warhammer Fantasy world imo.

As for their roster, aside from the basic guard units all inspired by Victorian soldiers or perhaps a more weather-appropriate design, you could have all sorts of Steampunk or Gaslamp/magical steampunk units that are essentially prototype ideas akin to the Da Vinci-inspired units of Tilea. Tesla rifles, robots, airships, and decorative elements like masks and clothing could all make for excellent imagery for the faction. Top hats and dresses just everywhere man.

On the more darker, Bloodborneish side of things there is a whole other fantasy genre to draw from too: Gothic Horror. In the shadows of these buildings could reside all manner of strange monsters, unusual folks, and sinister evils: vampires (inspired by the Highgate Vampire maybe), Plague Doctors, possibly demonic or spectral serial killers like Jack the Ripper, Springheel Jack, Mr. Hyde, and Sweeney Todd, Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot-ish detectives trying to track them down, mist monsters conjured out of the fog, secretive religious authorities and royal figures, occult cabals and cults, gargoyle statues brought to life, and other such things.

It would just make for a really neat culture to draw from I feel!

My last culture's not technically a historical one, but it is one I feel could be a great way to introduce a particular fantasy-inspired race into the setting.

4. Lemuria

A hypothesized lost continent proposed to have sunk beneath the Indian Ocean by the zoologist Philip Sclater in the 1864 and occasionally combined with the similar lost continent of Mu, which was said to reside in the Pacific Ocean, Lemuria could be a whole other landmass just like Ulthuan was inspired by Atlantis that could be added to the world. Now Mu and Lemuria could be separate places or the same as there's a lot of overlap between the two, but I personally think it could be a great place for an aquatic race like the Fishmen to have their main empire. (Should Warhammer ever introduce such a faction.) An old Warhammer map has already brought up the idea of the similarly-named land of Lumbria which could be a reference to it. Merfolk/fishmen stories are sometimes associated in literature with both Lemuria and Atlantis, so the idea of them having they're own lost continent, maybe covered in ancient ruins while they establish their greater empire around and in the seas beneath it might be a cool concept.

That's all I've got for now lol. Either way I will always love to see how the setting could expand going forward.
  • Serkelet#1834Serkelet#1834 Member Registered Users Posts: 1,084
    Something based on subsaharian Africa would put the cherry on the cake of the Warhammer world in my opinion.
  • lucibuis#6195lucibuis#6195 Registered Users Posts: 7,168
    Araby
    Ariel only, no fads allowed.

• GreenColoured#2445GreenColoured#2445 Registered Users Posts: 6,960
    edited April 2022
    Indians, it'd be a mixture of the plains Indian living in teepees, Eskimos in igloos, and Indians like the Haida in forests.

Since Lizardmen tapped the Aztec Indians, this race should be something related to the Lizardmen. Like rogue Lizardmen who was somehow separated from the rest after the great catastrophe and became their own off-shoot less fanatical about the Great Plan, but also less professional and organized as the basic Lizardmen.

edit: that or lightly retcon some chaos tribes situated between Lustria and Naggaroth as Warhammer's Indians. Give them tomahawk infantry, using totem poles as battering rams and towers, etc.
  • lucibuis#6195lucibuis#6195 Registered Users Posts: 7,168
    Araby

Indians, it'd be a mixture of the plains Indian living in teepees, Eskimos in igloos, and Indians like the Haida in forests.

Since Lizardmen tapped the Aztec Indians, this race should be something related to the Lizardmen. Like rogue Lizardmen who was somehow separated from the rest after the great catastrophe and became their own off-shoot less fanatical about the Great Plan, but also less professional and organized as the basic Lizardmen.

The term Indian is incorrect, do you mean native Americans?
    Ariel only, no fads allowed.

• GreenColoured#2445GreenColoured#2445 Registered Users Posts: 6,960
    arthadaw said:

Maybe the Maori ?

Though they are somewhat similar to the LM if you don't take a good look

I think the Maori are already represented by Firebellies
  • korradokortokorradokorto Registered Users Posts: 559
    Well none, setting has already enough lame paradies as it is.
  • damon40000#7640damon40000#7640 Registered Users Posts: 1,922
    snake people
    BsFG dwarf
  • #324448#324448 Florida, USARegistered Users Posts: 2,146
    I expect this'll be controversial, but there is one thing that I wouldn't mind seeing, even if it's not really based off of a "culture" so much as a series of religions and traditions.

Angels. They're basically the last "standard fantasy race" that hasn't been represented in Warhammer yet. Elves, Dwarfs, Orcs, Demons, Lizard people, Halflings to some extent, all are present in the setting but an Angelic race is absent. Some say that they don't fit the setting and I can see where they're coming from but I think you could convincingly portray them in a manner that fits the setting, keeping the tone dark and the power of Chaos overwhelming. If they bring hope, then it's more likely than not a false hope.

They wouldn't be guys in white robes strumming harps, at least not most of them. I'd base them primarily off of the legends and aesthetics behind Zoroastrianism, Gnosticism, and the early Abrahamic faiths, especially of the Old Testament era. Anything else to fill in the gaps would have a "holy" vibe somewhat reminiscent of the Sisters of Battle or Inquisition from 40k. An ancient and powerful race of beings with alien morality and unknowable traditions, with stalweart infantry and SEMs that harken to the earliest depiction's of God's mightiest warriors...

Remember: there's no reason to get angry on the forums. Be polite and respectful towards other people's opinions, even if you disagree.

Let Slip the Dogs of War - A fanmade Campaign Pack concept
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/303462/let-loose-the-dogs-of-war-a-fanmade-campaign-pack-concept
  • AndysonofBob#3869AndysonofBob#3869 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 153
    I think they should represent Cambridge in the Warhammer universe.
    I'm frankly astonished they haven't done so already!
  • korradokortokorradokorto Registered Users Posts: 559
    edited April 2022

I think they should represent Cambridge in the Warhammer universe.
    I'm frankly astonished they haven't done so already!

arent 3 elven races enough to represent the british hubris ?!
  • Ekix#9944Ekix#9944 Registered Users Posts: 1,992
    Pygmies are very underrated, I would love to see Pygmies remake into a Glorious and Golden Rich Zulu Empire, it would be diffferent and refreshing. I would like them to be AGAINST chaos.

Also I would like Amazons remake into a race like Vampire Coast size.

Same for Albion and celtic stuff. A lot of pixies variants should be made based in Wood Elves warhammer lore and then all of them be shared between Wood Elves and Albion.

Ind and Nippon are very interesting but only if they are a remake resilient and against Chaos. Enough Chaos stuff, thanks.

new Undead Legion:
    Nagash (unlockable for beating game with Undead Legion)
    The Nameless
    Dieter Helsnicht
    Neferata
    Dread King or Walach Harkon

And also give a quest possibility to other mortachs to access/join some Undead Legion recruiting privileges.

DLCs for VC BLOODLINES:
    /Necrachs:Zacharias, Melkhior, Radu the forsaken /Strigoi:Ushoran, Vorag The Ghoul King, Gashnag The Black Prince, Rametep /Blood Dragon:Red Duke, Abhorash /Lahmia:zNitocris, Ulrika, Naaima

• DarthEnderX-#6513DarthEnderX-#6513 Registered Users Posts: 5,214
    edited April 2022
    Aside from the obvious ones WH is confirmed to have already(Arabia, India, Japan, Mongolia).

I think something Pacific Island/Maori inspired would be cool.
    sykall said:

So category 2 or 3 then. Like maori sea elves or maori based fish people.

Island Halflings!

A. It's got Araby?

B. Does it need to be humans? Why can't it be a fantasy race that's based on Ethiopia?
    Arsenic said:

When Games Workshop did "African", what it came up with was The Pygmies, which you probably don't need to be looking up.

That was, like, 30 years ago. I'm sure they'd do better now.

3. The Victorians

The image of a perpetually foggy London either steeped in rain or glowing beneath the stars has basically become a fantasy setting in it's own right. A place where everyone dresses in fancy clothing, science and engineering are reaching new heights, and strange legends and mysteries abound has inspired everything from Steampunk, Gaslamp Fantasy, detective stories, urban legends, tales of the plague, a ton of classic English literature and much more.

Nerds just call that "You mean like Bloodborne?" now.

And I'd love to see something like that in Naggaroth.
    "Assassination's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it."
  • saweendra#3399saweendra#3399 Registered Users Posts: 19,549

Aside from the obvious ones WH is confirmed to have already(Arabia, India, Japan, Mongolia).

I think something Pacific Island/Philippine inspired would be cool. i.e. Island Halflings!

A. It's got Araby?

B. Does it need to be humans? Why can't it be a fantasy race that's based on Ethiopia?

I think something Pacific Island/Philippine inspired would be cool. i.e. Island Halflings!

A. It's got Araby?

A. It's got Araby?

I have no issue with it being a fantsy race.

Hell i have being making my own race fro south lands .
    My head cannon is.
    These guys were the gene source old ones used to make the current wh races like humans ..etc.

And ones that was they were exteriminated all that was left were there souls

And in the great cataclysm many of their soul numbers were devoared by the daemons.

But what remained of them still worked hard and developed a magic system allowing them to become the first spectral race that can increase their number or reproduce with out a physical body.
    And now there coming out of the shadows to reclaim what was theres to begin with

I know its dumb head cannon but i like some thing like this

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

• Tyrant#1234Tyrant#1234 Registered Users Posts: 4,126
    Pygmies were a faction based on Subsaharan tribal cultures. The question is are they in any way redeemable if tweeks were made here and there, or are they too far gone with the golliwog doll look, and a case of the baby should be thrown out with the bath water...

The silly side of me rather like the idea of cute little "SD" Zulu and Maasai tribes that somehow manages to survive and thrive in the hostile environment of the WH world.
    1234 I declare a thumb war! 5678 I use this hand to mass-debate!
  • Ghettobible#3796Ghettobible#3796 Registered Users Posts: 330
    Ethiopians as their culture ands history is interesting.

Would love to see a mix of Ethiopian/Byzantine with them fighting against chaos.
This discussion has been closed.