Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

What RL culture would you like to see a warhammer version off?

Comments

• Tyrant#1234Tyrant#1234 Registered Users Posts: 4,126

I expect this'll be controversial, but there is one thing that I wouldn't mind seeing, even if it's not really based off of a "culture" so much as a series of religions and traditions.

Angels. They're basically the last "standard fantasy race" that hasn't been represented in Warhammer yet. Elves, Dwarfs, Orcs, Demons, Lizard people, Halflings to some extent, all are present in the setting but an Angelic race is absent. Some say that they don't fit the setting and I can see where they're coming from but I think you could convincingly portray them in a manner that fits the setting, keeping the tone dark and the power of Chaos overwhelming. If they bring hope, then it's more likely than not a false hope.

They wouldn't be guys in white robes strumming harps, at least not most of them. I'd base them primarily off of the legends and aesthetics behind Zoroastrianism, Gnosticism, and the early Abrahamic faiths, especially of the Old Testament era. Anything else to fill in the gaps would have a "holy" vibe somewhat reminiscent of the Sisters of Battle or Inquisition from 40k. An ancient and powerful race of beings with alien morality and unknowable traditions, with stalweart infantry and SEMs that harken to the earliest depiction's of God's mightiest warriors...

WH already sort of has Angels, but they were shelved. They were the Demons, yes "Demons" not Daemons of the Gods of Law which would give us an idea of how old the concept was. Not for want of trying by some of the Black Library authors in dropping snippets here and there about the cult of the Prophet of Law rising in Araby. That would add more points of interests to possible Araby subfactions.

1234 I declare a thumb war! 5678 I use this hand to mass-debate!
  • DreamTraveler3DreamTraveler3 Registered Users Posts: 47

I expect this'll be controversial, but there is one thing that I wouldn't mind seeing, even if it's not really based off of a "culture" so much as a series of religions and traditions.

Angels. They're basically the last "standard fantasy race" that hasn't been represented in Warhammer yet. Elves, Dwarfs, Orcs, Demons, Lizard people, Halflings to some extent, all are present in the setting but an Angelic race is absent. Some say that they don't fit the setting and I can see where they're coming from but I think you could convincingly portray them in a manner that fits the setting, keeping the tone dark and the power of Chaos overwhelming. If they bring hope, then it's more likely than not a false hope.

They wouldn't be guys in white robes strumming harps, at least not most of them. I'd base them primarily off of the legends and aesthetics behind Zoroastrianism, Gnosticism, and the early Abrahamic faiths, especially of the Old Testament era. Anything else to fill in the gaps would have a "holy" vibe somewhat reminiscent of the Sisters of Battle or Inquisition from 40k. An ancient and powerful race of beings with alien morality and unknowable traditions, with stalweart infantry and SEMs that harken to the earliest depiction's of God's mightiest warriors...

Angels is another race which I've loved to speculate on. In Age of Sigmar we got the Stormcast Eternals which are similar to angels in a sense, but I agree I would love to see how Warhammer might do more traditional ones too. Regardless of if opinion states they don't match the established setting of mortals vs. Chaos. Settings can always expand and change to incorporate new ideas with time if it makes them more interesting.

Interestingly back in the early days of the game there were essentially three anti-Chaos gods. These were known as the Gods of Law and were every bit as bad as the Chaos gods we're familiar with, just reversed in their motives. Just as those gods was formed from mortal desires for war and honor, change and hope, death and rebirth, pleasure and the arts, the Gods of Law were formed from desires like light and order, stasis and peace, and justice and retribution. They weren't very fleshed out, but they did pose a really interesting concept. They were so dedicated to keeping things the same and meeting out punishment that most mortals would've avoided them and even the Empire's Witch Hunters would've called them overzealous. And yet at the same time they represented good virtues just like the more "daemonic" gods.

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Gods_of_Law

The three of them were Alluminas, the master of light, Arianka, an unknown goddess who is said to lie within a crystal coffin in Kislev after being defeated and imprisoned by an unknown Chaos god, and Solkan, the master of vengeance.

I could definitely see them having their own "daemons" representing their respective emotions. Only instead of looking daemonic, Alluminas might have creatures resembling traditional and biblical angels that act similarly to Soul Calibur's Elysium while also still showing pure and compassionate qualities, Arianka might have crystalline knights covered in meadow flowers symbolizing peace, while still acting similar to the Knights of Order that served the daedric prince Jyggalag in the Elder Scrolls series, and Solkan's could carry torches and all kinds of torture equipment like iron maidens, nooses, and other things around, as well as flaming swords similar to some of Khorne's maybe. There's plenty of ways you can depict the good and not so good of traditionally "pure or righteous" ideas.

Here's a picture of Arianka

• Reeks#2417Reeks#2417 Registered Users Posts: 10,387
    Pygm...

Naa i can't even😂

Nurgle is love

Nurgle is life

#JusticeForNurglingForumAvatars
  • Surge_2#1464Surge_2#1464 Registered Users Posts: 11,954
    None. DoW/TEB is enough, add in CDwarves, Hobgoblins, and that's it.

We certainly don't need any more cringe representation of 'real' cultures.
    Kneel

• kabulk#6557kabulk#6557 Registered Users Posts: 1,228
    edited April 2022
    First araby, then afrikan culture (ethiopian)
  • Loupi#8512Loupi#8512 Registered Users Posts: 3,781
    Ancient greece/atlantis/minoan/phoenicians

• NemoTheElf101#1472NemoTheElf101#1472 Registered Users Posts: 3,085
    Loupi_ said:

So like, the High Elves.

I for one am in the corner for an African-inspired faction. A civilization built on the ruins of Nehekhara and the Lizardmen would be fascinating.
  • sykall#1105sykall#1105 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,031
    edited April 2022

Loupi_ said:

So like, the High Elves.

I for one am in the corner for an African-inspired faction. A civilization built on the ruins of Nehekhara and the Lizardmen would be fascinating.
    I think a lot could be done with a phoenician/cartheginian culture, or a minion one. I guess it may be difficult to establish it in current setting, as much of its natural territory would be occupied by Badlands, Nehekara and Border Princes. But a lot could be done here if such a faction would find a spot elsewhere.

Taking a few sketches from Hannibals army together with ancient middle easterm myth and folklore about various gods would be a good starting point IMO.
    Of course one could more crazy with it and base it on Telchnids. Or make a human nation alá AOM Atlantis.
    Filling the white spots - 7 made-up factions to enrich the empty parts of the WFB setting
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/288418/filling-the-white-spots-7-made-up-factions-to-fill-out-the-wfb-setting
  • tomdoof#6883tomdoof#6883 Junior Member washingtonRegistered Users Posts: 200
    Red_Dox said:

What?

Why?

-----Red Dox

Yes please.

• PoorManatee6197#6481PoorManatee6197#6481 Registered Users Posts: 2,603
    sykall said:

Another faction that would be cool is some short of native americans in Naggaroth, some tribes using guerrilla warfare against the dark elfs and the chaos warbands that come from the north, with help of things like wendigo and spirit animals.

Yeah Naggaroth and Lustria could really benefit from more original factions. They are very empty in their current state.

Do you have a specific culture in mind? Haudenosaunee, Lakota, Seminoles?

IIRC oldhammer had Lakota-inspired Centaurs.
    Honestly, I dont know enough about their culture to say how they are different, so a mix of everything I guess.
    #MakeDwarfsGreatAgain Josef Bugman, Thorek Ironbrow, Alrik Ranulfsson, Grimm Burloksson, Kazador Thunderhorn, Byrrnoth Grundadrakk, Malakai Makaisson, Gotrek Gurnisson, Garagrim, Dragon slayer, Deamon slayer, Doomseekers, Brotherhood of Grimnir, Giant slayers, Thunderbarge, Shieldbearer mount, Master brewer, Goblin Hewer, Norse dwarf war mammoth, Tractator engine, Rune golem, Shard dragon, proper Anvil of Doom, Ulther's dragon company, Lond Drong's slayer pirates, Everguard, Karak Varn, Karag Agrilwutraz, Karaz Bryn, Karag Dum, Karak Vlag, Kraka Dorden, Kraka Ornsmotek, Kraka Ravnsvake, Karak Vrag, Karak Azorn, Karak Krakaten.

All those missing things are grudges in the great book, is in your hand to settle them, CA. Khazukan kazakit-ha!

IT'S HOBGOBBO TIME!!!!!!!
    #JusticeForKurgan
  • PoorManatee6197#6481PoorManatee6197#6481 Registered Users Posts: 2,603
    edited April 2022

Aside from the obvious ones WH is confirmed to have already(Arabia, India, Japan, Mongolia).

I think something Pacific Island/Maori inspired would be cool.

sykall said:

So category 2 or 3 then. Like maori sea elves or maori based fish people.

Island Halflings!

+1 for Ethiopia, I always though the southlands needed a human empire.

A. It's got Araby?

B. Does it need to be humans? Why can't it be a fantasy race that's based on Ethiopia?
    Arsenic said:

When Games Workshop did "African", what it came up with was The Pygmies, which you probably don't need to be looking up.

That was, like, 30 years ago. I'm sure they'd do better now.

3. The Victorians

The image of a perpetually foggy London either steeped in rain or glowing beneath the stars has basically become a fantasy setting in it's own right. A place where everyone dresses in fancy clothing, science and engineering are reaching new heights, and strange legends and mysteries abound has inspired everything from Steampunk, Gaslamp Fantasy, detective stories, urban legends, tales of the plague, a ton of classic English literature and much more.

Nerds just call that "You mean like Bloodborne?" now.

And I'd love to see something like that in Naggaroth.
    I think "southlands" is just till the jungle and the deserts above arent considered part of it, but anyway I meant more to the south, something that makes the jungle interesting and different from lustria.

My prefference would be for humans, but it can be another species of course. It could also be vampires with voodoo magic, a idea GW was actually playing with at a point.
    #MakeDwarfsGreatAgain Josef Bugman, Thorek Ironbrow, Alrik Ranulfsson, Grimm Burloksson, Kazador Thunderhorn, Byrrnoth Grundadrakk, Malakai Makaisson, Gotrek Gurnisson, Garagrim, Dragon slayer, Deamon slayer, Doomseekers, Brotherhood of Grimnir, Giant slayers, Thunderbarge, Shieldbearer mount, Master brewer, Goblin Hewer, Norse dwarf war mammoth, Tractator engine, Rune golem, Shard dragon, proper Anvil of Doom, Ulther's dragon company, Lond Drong's slayer pirates, Everguard, Karak Varn, Karag Agrilwutraz, Karaz Bryn, Karag Dum, Karak Vlag, Kraka Dorden, Kraka Ornsmotek, Kraka Ravnsvake, Karak Vrag, Karak Azorn, Karak Krakaten.

All those missing things are grudges in the great book, is in your hand to settle them, CA. Khazukan kazakit-ha!

IT'S HOBGOBBO TIME!!!!!!!
    #JusticeForKurgan
    edited April 2022

sykall said:

Another faction that would be cool is some short of native americans in Naggaroth, some tribes using guerrilla warfare against the dark elfs and the chaos warbands that come from the north, with help of things like wendigo and spirit animals.

Yeah Naggaroth and Lustria could really benefit from more original factions. They are very empty in their current state.

Honestly, I dont know enough about their culture to say how they are different, so a mix of everything I guess.
    Oh carthage and the phoenicians are truly fascinating. To break a very complex matter down to a few key points:

- carthage (and phoenician) were THE expert sea travellers of their time. With regular travels up to the british Isles and expeditions into modern kongo. One phoenician crew supppsedly even circumnavigated Africa from the red sea onward into the mediterranian sea.

-carthage (and other but not all phoenician cities) also were classical republics in which citiziens may vote, but noble families naturally held the highest offices. Like in ancient rome very important oftices were double crewed. In carthage the highest offices were the two suffets.

- carthage was a multicultural place, where middle eastern traditions and religions (Baal and Tanith as main gods) mixed with local north african, egyptian, iberian and greek and italian influences. (E.g. Heracles was worshipped and seen as an avatar of the middle eastern god Melqart)

- Carthage was highly organized. Much of its wealth came from creating superb products like high quality metal works, colourless glass, purpur etc. Indeed their entire culture was strictly organized, to the point that feces and other wastes were collected each day to be used as manure. And they built ships with so much precision that each ship was made from standartized and nummerated singular parts. According to history the romans managed to find one carthegenian ship, and were able to built thier own fleet after this find, as each plank and piece was marked and numbered in the sequence of its construction. Rome did not have a good navy before.

- Instead of focussing on military dominacne, carthage created vassals states or trade hubs. Through it things like our modern alphabet were spread. It was a phoenician invention later used by greeks and romans. Also their agriculture was so advanced that even roman authors (who naturally had reason to hate carthage) praised their agricultural Know-how centuries later.

- One of the few drawback was carthages landbased military. Most of their citiziens forces went into the navy. For land battles they primarily relied on mercenaries. Cartheginian soldiers of later years may fought in a greek hoplite style and were supported from Italians, greeks, celts and others. Most famous was their heavy north african infantry, their numidian riders and their baelaric slinglers. The later two were legendary forces on the ancient battlefield. Some of the best light/medium horsemen and slingers available. Much of Hannibals victories relied on using this suberp cavalary force.

- another thing of note are potential child sacrifices. Romans and greek sources (who were often at war with carthage mind you) reported that these "barbarians" sacrificed their children to the gods on a regular basis. However whilst child cementaries were found, archaeologist are unsure how acurate these claims are. Indeed it appeared more likley that these cementaries were for stillborn or naturally deceased children. Who likley held special spiritual reveance and thus were buried in special honours. And other ancient authors used these normal cultural rites for their propaganda.

All in all a truly fascinating and unique culture which left its imprints even today.
    Though as I said finding a good spot for a carthage based faction is difficult as uts natural territory is already tightly packed.

Maybe if its combined with palmyria or persia and placed at the southern shores of the Darklands, as I once did with an old pitch of mine for a faction called Izwan. Or as an ancient predecessor to modern arabyians.
    Filling the white spots - 7 made-up factions to enrich the empty parts of the WFB setting
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/288418/filling-the-white-spots-7-made-up-factions-to-fill-out-the-wfb-setting
  • Neodeinos#5871Neodeinos#5871 Registered Users Posts: 16,121
    edited April 2022
    Red_Dox said:

What?

Why?

-----Red Dox

I'd sell my body for that.
    edited April 2022

Aside from the obvious ones WH is confirmed to have already(Arabia, India, Japan, Mongolia).

sykall said:

Island Halflings!

A. It's got Araby?

B. Does it need to be humans? Why can't it be a fantasy race that's based on Ethiopia?
    Arsenic said:

When Games Workshop did "African", what it came up with was The Pygmies, which you probably don't need to be looking up.

3. The Victorians

The image of a perpetually foggy London either steeped in rain or glowing beneath the stars has basically become a fantasy setting in it's own right. A place where everyone dresses in fancy clothing, science and engineering are reaching new heights, and strange legends and mysteries abound has inspired everything from Steampunk, Gaslamp Fantasy, detective stories, urban legends, tales of the plague, a ton of classic English literature and much more.

I think "southlands" is just till the jungle and the deserts above arent considered part of it, but anyway I meant more to the south, something that makes the jungle interesting and different from lustria.

My prefference would be for humans, but it can be another species of course. It could also be vampires with voodoo magic, a idea GW was actually playing with at a point.
    The Southlands encompass all of the continent, including Nehekhara and Araby. In this sense its true Araby is a human nation in the Southlands. But in my opinion the Southern Southlands are in a bad spot, as they are a copy of Lustria with less saurus at the moment. And with so little things of consequence going on there, that they may as well not exist at all.

If we then see how many interesting cultures live in subsaharan africa, from Mali and Songhai, the Hausa, Yoruba and congolesians, over to Ethiopia, Sudanese/Nubia Somalia, the Swahili coast, Massai, Zulu and many, many others, its very sad that nothing original was done with this region. In my opinion it holds a lot of potential, due to all the fascinating templates which could be used.
    Be they as a human faction, e.g. warhammer ethiopia or as a warhammer faction with real world ties, e.g. desert dwarfs with influences from Mali and Nubia. Two sketches I made a while ago to bring life to this region.
  • DreamTraveler3DreamTraveler3 Registered Users Posts: 47

My preference would be for humans, but it can be another species of course. It could also be vampires with voodoo magic, a idea GW was actually playing with at a point.

A voodoo-themed witch doctor Legendary Lord for the Vampire Coast raising an army of zombies with powder and magic would be awesome imo.
  • Tyrant#1234Tyrant#1234 Registered Users Posts: 4,126
    sykall said:

sykall said:

Island Halflings!

A. It's got Araby?

Arsenic said:

3. The Victorians

The Southlands encompass all of the continent, including Nehekhara and Araby. In this sense its true Araby is a human nation in the Southlands. But in my opinion the Southern Southlands are in a bad spot, as they are a copy of Lustria with less saurus at the moment. And with so little things of consequence going on there, that they may as well not exist at all.

If we then see how many interesting cultures live in subsaharan africa, from Mali and Songhai, the Hausa, Yoruba and congolesians, over to Ethiopia, Sudanese/Nubia Somalia, the Swahili coast, Massai, Zulu and many, many others, its very sad that nothing original was done with this region. In my opinion it holds a lot of potential, due to all the fascinating templates which could be used.
    Be they as a human faction, e.g. warhammer ethiopia or as a warhammer faction with real world ties, e.g. desert dwarfs with influences from Mali and Nubia. Two sketches I made a while ago to bring life to this region.
    Pygmies fits a lot of that bill, if GW redesigns them without the grossly exaggerated facial features they would be fine, not any more problematic than Halflings IMO. You could roll other stuff into their roster like apemen, or neanderthal like Giant Pygmies that act as big hitters and beast units, Gorillas, Cheetahs and such. They could have a lot of fun with it and invent new units... I donno Combat Giraffes! or something Hippos.
    1234 I declare a thumb war! 5678 I use this hand to mass-debate!
  • IglooHater#8161IglooHater#8161 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 422
    The United States!
  • HeresyHoundHeresyHound Registered Users Posts: 8,285

The United States!

We already have the Dark Elves
  • #28957#28957 Registered Users Posts: 2,773
    I've recently tried out Northmen of the New World mod and I've gotta say a Chaos faction based on Native North America tribes/Inuit would be awesome. With focuses on awakening spirits (a.k.a. Chaos necromancy, something like in old editions but not as braindead)), ambushes, using various combat animals, maybe looted gunpowder/elven tech, etc.
    Now I am known as "numbers".
  • Fingolfin_the-Golden#2157Fingolfin_the-Golden#2157 Registered Users Posts: 6,790
    Australian.

I want beer drinking, cork hat wearing, damper making cobbers, riding kangaroo steeds.
    BEARS, Beets, Battlestar Galactica 🧝‍♀️ Pandas too please CA!
  • Gangstamonkey214Gangstamonkey214 Member Registered Users Posts: 260
    Seeing alot of love for pygmies and other african nations being added which is great! But I think some people forget or are unaware that pgymies aren't like halflings/hobbits and some fantasy race, they are a real people with a real culture who have sufferend immensly through their history and to this day. Pygmy men were eaten as they were seen as another type of bushmeat during the 2nd Colognese civil war and every horror you can imagine.
    So if they were to be added it would have to be as respectable and gentle since this isn't the Aztecs or vikings or ancient china, this is a still living breathing culture so you must be sensative to their cultural traditions.
    Gris-Gris is a widly practiced form of battle magic in East Africa with each religion having their own versions of how it functions, for muslims in the region tearing pages from the Quran and placing it in a satchel with the heads of snakes and eagle feathers makes you invisible, another is a certian plant and snake eggs to make one immune to bullets. While this obviously doesnt work in reality it would be a fantastic basis to from their own magical identity in the warhammer world.

(also yes I am aware that defacing the Quran is a huge sin in Islam and no that information is not incorrect, weast african pratice of Islam and Christianity is vastly different from middle eastern, Asian/South east asian practice of Islam, same with their christinaity and other foreign religions that were intorduced via colonalism, they combine it with their pre-colonial spiritual practices creating a new religion that is Islamic or Christian in name only.)
    sykall said:

sykall said:

Oh carthage and the phoenicians are truly fascinating. To break a very complex matter down to a few key points:

- carthage (and phoenician) were THE expert sea travellers of their time. With regular travels up to the british Isles and expeditions into modern kongo. One phoenician crew supppsedly even circumnavigated Africa from the red sea onward into the mediterranian sea.

-carthage (and other but not all phoenician cities) also were classical republics in which citiziens may vote, but noble families naturally held the highest offices. Like in ancient rome very important oftices were double crewed. In carthage the highest offices were the two suffets.

- carthage was a multicultural place, where middle eastern traditions and religions (Baal and Tanith as main gods) mixed with local north african, egyptian, iberian and greek and italian influences. (E.g. Heracles was worshipped and seen as an avatar of the middle eastern god Melqart)

- Carthage was highly organized. Much of its wealth came from creating superb products like high quality metal works, colourless glass, purpur etc. Indeed their entire culture was strictly organized, to the point that feces and other wastes were collected each day to be used as manure. And they built ships with so much precision that each ship was made from standartized and nummerated singular parts. According to history the romans managed to find one carthegenian ship, and were able to built thier own fleet after this find, as each plank and piece was marked and numbered in the sequence of its construction. Rome did not have a good navy before.

- Instead of focussing on military dominacne, carthage created vassals states or trade hubs. Through it things like our modern alphabet were spread. It was a phoenician invention later used by greeks and romans. Also their agriculture was so advanced that even roman authors (who naturally had reason to hate carthage) praised their agricultural Know-how centuries later.

- One of the few drawback was carthages landbased military. Most of their citiziens forces went into the navy. For land battles they primarily relied on mercenaries. Cartheginian soldiers of later years may fought in a greek hoplite style and were supported from Italians, greeks, celts and others. Most famous was their heavy north african infantry, their numidian riders and their baelaric slinglers. The later two were legendary forces on the ancient battlefield. Some of the best light/medium horsemen and slingers available. Much of Hannibals victories relied on using this suberp cavalary force.

- another thing of note are potential child sacrifices. Romans and greek sources (who were often at war with carthage mind you) reported that these "barbarians" sacrificed their children to the gods on a regular basis. However whilst child cementaries were found, archaeologist are unsure how acurate these claims are. Indeed it appeared more likley that these cementaries were for stillborn or naturally deceased children. Who likley held special spiritual reveance and thus were buried in special honours. And other ancient authors used these normal cultural rites for their propaganda.

All in all a truly fascinating and unique culture which left its imprints even today.
    Though as I said finding a good spot for a carthage based faction is difficult as uts natural territory is already tightly packed.

Maybe if its combined with palmyria or persia and placed at the southern shores of the Darklands, as I once did with an old pitch of mine for a faction called Izwan. Or as an ancient predecessor to modern arabyians.
    I agree with you entirely expcept that you are dead wrong about the child sacrifice, Carthage did conduct human sacrifice. They would offer a child to Baal Hammon for good harvest, the infant would be burned alive in a large firepit with a set of 12 drummers ritualisitcally beating their drums to drown out the screams. Obviously the modern day Abrahamic faith beleiovers (chrisitans, muslims and jews) view this through the lens of their faith and only see Carthage as some evil 'demonic' nation. This is a highly ignorant view of historty of course. The Phonenican practice of human sacrifice is theorized to by why they left the middle east and created colonies in north africa, to escape persecution of their religion, to claim its entirely made up is itself a historically ignorant view of history. South Americans weren't the only ones to practice human sacrifices, hell you could argue Romans did the same with criminals and slaves dying in gladitor fights as a form of religiously motivated human sacrifice on top of entertainment.
  • Whitewolf7762#6480Whitewolf7762#6480 Registered Users Posts: 170
    Australians…ya Australians.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 23,788
    Folks, we're getting close to unacceptability on cultural references/discussion here. Not overboard yet so here is just a "heads up" from the Forum Terms & Conditions to keep in mind when posting.

5.2a Country, faction and culture threads have a regular tendency to break our forum rules. If a certain culture, faction or country is not included in the game it is purely due to design reasons and not due to any other factor such as politics or prejudice.

Let's all strive to keep the discussion open. Thanks.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

• Jo_Proulx#5293Jo_Proulx#5293 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,838
    Native Americans for me.

They had such an amazing culture, too bad colonization and religious genocide almost erased it from history :/

I'd see them as great skirmish guerrilla faction similar in play style to wood elves, but with vengeful spirits of animals (ethereal undeads), and great archers and cavalry archers etc...I'd like a good faction and an evil one that hate each other. Their iconic totems should have models in play buffing and summoning etc...and more!

"Fear me mortals, for I am the Anointed, the favored Son of Chaos, the Scourge of the World. The armies of the gods rally behind me, and it is by my will and by my sword that your weakling nations shall fall."

~ Archaon, Lord of the End Times
  • DarthEnderX-#6513DarthEnderX-#6513 Registered Users Posts: 5,289
    edited April 2022
    Southlands needs Gnolls, and Savage Greenskins as their own race.
    "Assassination's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it."
  • Vanilla_Gorilla#8529Vanilla_Gorilla#8529 Registered Users Posts: 39,790
    edited April 2022

Australian.

I want beer drinking, cork hat wearing, damper making cobbers, riding kangaroo steeds.

That's like meme Australia.

There's two Australia's. The 80% city dwelling, smashed Avocado eating generic western country. Then there's the 20% country dwellers that are an entirely different culture.

I'd personally model a theoretical Aussie race after Alexander Volkanovski, Robert Whittaker, and Tai Tuivasa. Genuinely wholesome dudes that have savages inside.
    There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Drybrush Disciple, Sophisticated Savage.
  • Wyvax#7456Wyvax#7456 Registered Users Posts: 6,264
    Most of the time I'm far more interested in the more fantastical races and I'm not too keen on regions being dominated by nearly exclusively human factions, (Cathay, Ind and Nippon without Khuresh or the Hobgoblin Khanates would be so boring); but there are definitely some regions where it feels like it's nothing but fantasy races and some human presence would spice it up.

I second the idea of an east African inspired culture, based on a fusion of medieval Ethiopia and the more southern tribes of the later Bantu expansion. Considering the Southlands has a much more stark division between the deserts in the north and jungles in the south, they could dwell in the narrow Savannah and Sahel regions between the two, extending somewhat into the jungles and the foothills of the mountains on both sides of the continent. Sandwhiched between the Tomb Kings and the Lizardmen they could have very delicate and tense relations with each; perhaps aggressive priest kings wish to subjugate them out of envy and bitterness, while others such as Tutankhanut are much more amicable. Knowing more about the Lizardmen by being so near to them in comparison to other human and humanoid races means that these people would be more aware of what not to do to avoid angering them and allow them to live in relative peace next door to one another, especially if both races share the same problems fighting savage orcs and Skaven.

The other place is Naggaroth, where I also second the idea of an indiginous culture of men based of the Amerindians. Though with the twist of there being a large cultural influx from escaped slaves from the Druchii. So we'd have a mostly tribal confederation of people fighting guerilla warfare against the Dark Elves and Beastmen, Greenskins, Skaven and other nasties in the region, holding on for dear life in an even more tenuous situation than the aforementioned African inspired civilization. But their advantages come in the form of limited technological advancements learned from Old World escapees, and pockets of escaped Dawi, Asur and even Skinks in their ranks all working together to frustrate, harass and slaughter as many Druchii as possible out of vengeance. These guys would be like an entire nation of Alith Anars, ruthless in the extreme.

Of course whether we got such cultures or not, I'd still like to see several monstrous races added to balance it out. Namely deep one inspired fishmen, driven deep into the seas and the waterways beneath Naggaroth, hating all of the landdwellers regardless of alignment, viewing them as usurpers and prey, with a special vendetta against the Lizardmen of course. And an insectoid race that dwells even deeper underground than the Skaven or in extremely desolate or wild places like the Darklands or jungles of Lustria, occassionally popping up all over the globe in waves like locusts to feed, only kept in relative check by constant attrition against the Skaven, Greenskins, Lizardmen, Dwarfs and Ogres of the MoM, leaving most of the Elves and Men pretty much unaware of their existence. I know the Sleeper is a thing, but honestly I'd rather have nerfed, fantasy tier Tyranids, an invasive species similar to the Greenskins, cut off from the hivemind and unable to evolve at the same rapid rate, but ruled over by sentient and more individual versions of Hive Tyrants, Norn-Queens, Lictors and Broodlords. Those would be cool.
  • Veldrinar#2882Veldrinar#2882 Registered Users Posts: 654
    Wouldn't mind seeing something Greco-roman, personally. Humans backed by mythological creatures. Perhaps something Atlantean in that same vein with a sea creature focus.
  • Slayer_Yannir#8069Slayer_Yannir#8069 Registered Users Posts: 2,719

Native Americans for me.

They had such an amazing culture, too bad colonization and religious genocide almost erased it from history :/

I'd see them as great skirmish guerrilla faction similar in play style to wood elves, but with vengeful spirits of animals (ethereal undeads), and great archers and cavalry archers etc...I'd like a good faction and an evil one that hate each other. Their iconic totems should have models in play buffing and summoning etc...and more!

Not to belittle the suffering western immigrants and conquerors brought to the Native americans but the vast majority of deaths wasn't directly caused by westerners themselves but by the diseases we brought overseas. Native americans had no resistance to the deadlier diseases such as small pox, polio and the bubonic plague that europeans brought over. Those diseases could wipe out entire villages at a time.

This would've happened even if all contact was 100% peaceful. It was unfortunate but unavoidable. Particularly when the discovery of viruses and bacteria was still 200 years into the future and the fact that we can barely keep similar outbreaks contained even today.
    Not all the bad things in the world can be attributed to human intentions such religion or colonialism though a lot certainly can.
    Formerly known as Yannir. Oaths have been taken.
  • Wyvax#7456Wyvax#7456 Registered Users Posts: 6,264
    Yannir said:

Native Americans for me.

Not to belittle the suffering western immigrants and conquerors brought to the Native americans but the vast majority of deaths wasn't directly caused by westerners themselves but by the diseases we brought overseas. Native americans had no resistance to the deadlier diseases such as small pox, polio and the bubonic plague that europeans brought over. Those diseases could wipe out entire villages at a time.

This would've happened even if all contact was 100% peaceful. It was unfortunate but unavoidable. Particularly when the discovery of viruses and bacteria was still 200 years into the future and the fact that we can barely keep similar outbreaks contained even today.
    Not all the bad things in the world can be attributed to human intentions such religion or colonialism though a lot certainly can.
    It happened in reverse too, just not in such horrendous severity. Syphilis is pretty prominent example. Afro-Eurasia just suffered so much worse as far as diseases go that the collective immune system of the American peoples couldn't handle it. Had history gone down a route where the Americas developed technological advancement and the old world stagnated and colonization occurred in reverse, the same death toll would have resulted sadly.
This discussion has been closed.