Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Zerkovich's video about siege battles

124»

Comments

• SemtexOro#2225SemtexOro#2225 Registered Users Posts: 85
    Moders cant fully fix settlement battles. They can prevent in combat towers building, or remove them altogether, but the AI is still acting as its a vanilla settlement fight (running to objectives, etc...)

CA has to do this, moders cant reprogram AI.
  • Surge_2#1464Surge_2#1464 Registered Users Posts: 11,954
    SemtexOro said:

Moders cant fully fix settlement battles. They can prevent in combat towers building, or remove them altogether, but the AI is still acting as its a vanilla settlement fight (running to objectives, etc...)

The only fix worth while in this case, will be the removal of the minor settlement maps all together.
    Kneel

• Ben1990#8909Ben1990#8909 Registered Users Posts: 3,046

Ben1990 said:

he said it all.

Total War in general is devolving. Anyone who thought the current settlements in Warhammer are a good thing is horribly mistaken since it's all limiting and in general makes it all unrealistic. Same with the sieges back then (they are still irritating me with magical ladders), lack of any dismount option for horse cavalry and a gamut of other things. All people wanted was it to be like Call of Warhammer but with actual functioning monsters, magic and generally it being Warhammer: Medieval Total War Edition.
    The entire game is limiting and unrealistic.
    It's a fantasy setting. The actual unrealistic part about it is how they took province development. Those slots are the apex of idiotic.
  • Passthechips#4366Passthechips#4366 Registered Users Posts: 1,543
    Surge_2 said:

SemtexOro said:

The only fix worth while in this case, will be the removal of the minor settlement maps all together.
    You can easily remove settlement battles if you don’t want them. It’s much better for minor settlement battles to be in the game for the majority of players who want them, and for the minority players to use simple mods to edit them out.

Do minor settlement occur too often? Yes. Do I want them removed? Absolutely not. Even despite what you or I want, they are in the game for good now. Might as well improve them.
  • aMint1#4859aMint1#4859 Registered Users Posts: 1,255

it’s not unreasonable to want it to be closer to 50/50.
    I don’t agree that tier 3 would turn it into a town battle. It would bring back the tedious stay put until you have a wall part of Warhammer. Open battles with a garrison is just pointless in my opinion, with a town you have a chance at least.

50/50 sounds horrid. 75% would be my preferred minimum land battles.

You should have to protect your settlements in this game. With a town you are virtually invincible even without a garrison in most scenarios. Bring risk back to the player experience.

The AI fullstack vs my undefended tier2 settlement with no defence investment should stomp me
  • theiceman1theiceman1 Registered Users Posts: 1
    Hi guys,

I have never posted on the forums but occasionally would read them to get a sense of what people think of different elements of the game and love to see that people are honest with their feelings of the game and care so much they are willing to put themselves out there to give their opinion and suggestions of what could make the game better; Many times having to debate it out with others to validate the merits of the suggestions. I think this is healthy and glad we have the forums to do so and hope that CA takes in this feedback.

For some background info I have played Total Warhammer 1 and 2. I have combined hours of about 2800 hours on Steam between both (mostly Warhammer 2) and about 150 hours in Warhammer 3. I have played prior titles but not to the extent I have played Total Warhammer.

Even though I played a lot of Warhammer, I don't claim to be an expert since I play my own way, and play for fun, not competitively min maxing, doom stacking, etc. I have to say I felt compelled to chime in about the minor Siege battles. I am, to say the least, disappointed with the current iteration we have. I agree with Zerks videos on a lot and I think his suggestions would help I think they are pretty broken right now in a way I am not sure it can be fixed and that makes me sad.

Like others, coming from Warhammer 2, where the sieges were pretty bad compared to prior Total Wars from 8-15 years ago. I was hopeful that we would have grander Multi-Front Siege maps, more space to move around and maneuver, more meaningful and distinct deployables before battle, etc. Instead we got more or less the same Siege Maps and now Minor Siege maps with the same if not worse problems.

Way too many choke points, it's tedious and annoying to try to position and move the army around to get to the areas u need to. I understand that in real life this might realistic but it doesn't translate to fun in the game. Also the randomness of where you can deploy towers (mentioned by Zerk) with poor visibility in some maps, the not very effective barricades and really lackluster benefits from them doesn't lend to fun. It's not exciting at all.

The music and esthetics of the game are wonderful, but I have to say my play session times are rather short compared to the prior games. I can't tell you how many times I set myself up to play for 4-5 hours and after about 1 hour, I say to myself, ugh a minor settlement battle, this is too tedious, I am done. I turn off the game and go play something else. Every day I have the itch to play and every time I log I find myself in the same situation where I just get bored and just turn off. I never had this with Warhamer 2, I would want to keep going and going and had the one more turn itch.. Yes I admit, the Warhammer 2 siege got tedious and had a similar effect at times but it wasn't this bad. One could say that, oh I am burned out of Warhammer and, yes maybe that is partially true with so many hours but that is where CA should think about ways to try and keep the game Fresh. It's not easy to make a game more challenging and keep it fun. In this case I think CA tried to make the game more Challenging but ended up making it more tedious and less fun. To the point where people are losing interest.

I don't really have a perfect solution but I will say that I do wish there were more land battles so I like the suggestion of making Settlement battles only Tier 3 Villages or Tier 2 Garrison. That gets part of the way but doesn't solve the issue of the Sieges and Minor Sieges themselves. I feel like the areas are way too crammed and should be opened up. Having more variety and Deployable like Rome 2 or Three Kingdoms that should be placed at the start instead of how the system works now I think would go a long way to make settlements feel better. The latter part, I am not sure how realistic of a change it is but thought worth mentioning.

Thank you for taking the time to read this admittedly long post. Lol. I hope it gives some insight on how some of us, normally less vocal, unknown players, feel about the current state of the game.

Cheers