Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Proposed Race Expansion #1: The Dwarfs

Wyvax#7456Wyvax#7456 Registered Users Posts: 6,264
edited April 2022 in General Discussion
This will be the first in a series of proposed expansion packs per certain races in the Total War: Warhammer trilogy. Some races I believe can receive multiple lord packs, such as the Empire, while others could reasonably be finished off with just a single LP, such as the High Elves and Skaven. But some races have many missing characters but not that much in the way of units or characters which would make multiple LPs unfeasible for them. My suggestion for these races are large campaign pack styled expansions at the same price point, each with four new LLs (plus a FLC LL), several character types and new units. The first for today is of course the dawi, and I will be utilizing both TT and lore sources and including the occasional brand new unit concept that I believe could fit the lore without breaking it, they won't be completely made up however. Note that I'm not trying to create a definite theme with this, just get in as much missing content to enrich each race, and considering how fast and loose CA has been with certain unit lineups in LPs, I don't really see that as an issue.

Legendary Lords:

Grimm Burloksson

The original and premier dawi engineer (not counting his father Burlok Damminsson of course), armed with cog ax and Grudgeraker rifle.

Malakai Makaisson

The eccentric slayer engineer, an interesting hybrid between Ironfist and Burloksson, focusing on the more zanny and snubbed contraptions of the dawi.

Josef Bugman

The celebrated master brewer, out for revenge for the destruction of his hold and brewery.

King Kazador Thunderhorn

King of the southernmost standing hold of Karak Azul, has sworn bloody vengeance against Gorfang Rotgut, the Squatter King of Black Crag, for the atrocities commited against his son and kin.

King Alrik Ranulfsson

The warrior king of Karak Hirn, greatest hold west of the World's Edge.

New Lords:

Daemon Slayer

Discount Ungrim. Anti-large focus lord.

Engineer Guildmaster

Discount Burloksson, could be differentiated from Master Engineer hero by a different weapon kit and abilities.

New Heroes:

Dragon Slayer

Standard anti-large hero. Both it and the Daemon Slayer lord existed in the 8th edition TT so I see no reason to exclude either.

Priestess of Valaya

Equipped with strictly healing and supportive runic magic. Would greatly shake the dwarfen meta.

New Units:
Grudgerakers
(See image of Grimm Burloksson)
An elite upgrade from standard Thunderers, dwarfen warriors equipped with the same firearm that Grimm wields in combat.

Steam Drill Miners

An equivalent to the Skaven Warp Grinder team, a useful support tool that the dwarfs had on the TT. Could be used in a similar but clearly superior fashion to the shoddy thagoraki imitation.

Doomseekers

Extremely exotic slayer variant, could have an anti-infantry twist instead given the zany chain-axes they possess, have them function somewhat similarly towards Depth Guard as a result.

Goblin Hewer

Bizarre anti-personnel artillery piece invented by Makaisson. Short range but chunks through infantry forces with continuous rapid fire axes hurled at the foe.

Thunderbarge

Right the grudge of CA and the Cathayans! The dawi deserve their air superiority super unit!

Rune Golems

Ancient power creations of the ancestor gods. TW:W has already produced several instances of 'Deus ex Machina' to upset the status quo of the setting such as the Vortex and Ursun, so I'm quite confident that reawakening these constructs can be well explained. These would be the slowest and most tanky monstrous infantry in the entire game, nigh impervious to magic and extremely resistant to damage, total linebackers for the dawi line that would make Treekin look like Trolls in comparison.

Shard Dragon

Giant subterranean reptiles that the dwarfs have broken with powerful rune collars, essentially turning them into monstrous attack dogs. A relatively slow (for a SEM) but extremely formidable and dangerous beast that complements the dwarfen army by acting as the ultimate distraction Carnifex in game.

Thunder Roller

A unit that technically only exists in Blood Bowl. That said, similar concepts existed for the dwarfs in both the lore and especially in older editions. A slower and more powerful equivalent to the both the Doomwheel and the Steamtank. Time to show both the ratkin and the manlings what a proper armor division looks like!

Anyway that's my suggestion for a expansion to the dawi that both amplifies their strengths in game as well as providing some new tactical options in battle that don't conflict with the dwarfen style of warfare (such as cavalry or chaff). My next expansion proposal will be about their hated rivals, the foul Greenskins.

Comments

• Slayer_Yannir#8069Slayer_Yannir#8069 Registered Users Posts: 2,719
    "With a furious roar, Thorgard struck the red-hot metal of what used to be a runic collar of a Shard Dragon with his hammer. The metal slowly gave way as he pounded the failed device in frustration. He'd make a trustworthy ax out of it that could begin to pay the debt of failure of its previous form. Shard Dragons could not, in fact, be controlled as the dawi had learned the hard way in their hour of need."

There. Add that to the lore and let's get rid of these stupid things. Dawi kill dragons, not tame them.

Other than that this looks alright. 4 + 1 LL is likely wishful thinking though as I think CA has stated that the LL themselves is the most laborious part of any DLC. 3 + 1 or 2 + 1 could be feasible though.

I would also like to see dawi units that are not from the army books, or supplements. Take a page from Vermintide 2 and give them teams of engineers with Crank Guns. Dawi are supposed to be the most advanced race in Warhammer fantasy and that should show, better than it does now.
    Formerly known as Yannir. Oaths have been taken.
  • A_Nobody#8442A_Nobody#8442 Registered Users Posts: 137
    Personally, I find the war balloons more interesting as a unit for the dwarves than the dragons.
    Otherwise I think at the rest Gimme :-D.

Sorry for my disastrous English.
  • Wyvax#7456Wyvax#7456 Registered Users Posts: 6,264
    Yannir said:

"With a furious roar, Thorgard struck the red-hot metal of what used to be a runic collar of a Shard Dragon with his hammer. The metal slowly gave way as he pounded the failed device in frustration. He'd make a trustworthy ax out of it that could begin to pay the debt of failure of its previous form. Shard Dragons could not, in fact, be controlled as the dawi had learned the hard way in their hour of need."

There. Add that to the lore and let's get rid of these stupid things. Dawi kill dragons, not tame them.

Other than that this looks alright. 4 + 1 LL is likely wishful thinking though as I think CA has stated that the LL themselves is the most laborious part of any DLC. 3 + 1 or 2 + 1 could be feasible though.

I would also like to see dawi units that are not from the army books, or supplements. Take a page from Vermintide 2 and give them teams of engineers with Crank Guns. Dawi are supposed to be the most advanced race in Warhammer fantasy and that should show, better than it does now.

Source for the lore blurb? :p

With the goal being a campaign pack sized/budgeted expansion that's why I went with the four LL + FLC route. Personally I'm fine with simpler designed LL that don't have the ludicrous amount of gimmicks like most LP LLs do. Give each unique goals on the campaign map and a few tweaks and I'm cool with that myself. Plus while the contents of successor entries I plan are likely to be less unit dense (dawi just have a dearth of new potential infantry really) I wanted to try and standardize them all with a set LL amount.
  • Maedrethnir#1968Maedrethnir#1968 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 17,377
    Oh, Thorek, you could have been the Dwarf. Why would you let CA to FLC you.
  • steam_1630793943266yAfwIRsteam_1630793943266yAfwIR Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 138
    Up for most of them but hopefully no SEM. Hopefully no healing aswell to keep things intresting.
  • IndefatigableIndefatigable Registered Users Posts: 526
    In my opinion the existing dwarf roster would be fine, but with one addition...

Chaos Hats

• Mr_Finley7#4571Mr_Finley7#4571 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,417
    No shard dragons for the love of god
  • Heretical_Cactus#7598Heretical_Cactus#7598 Registered Users Posts: 3,036
    Take out Alaric and Kazador both being already in the game as Unique/Named Lords, and both being normal Dwarf Lords

Put Kragg the Grim as Runelord and maybe Gragrim as a Slayer Expedition
    Added possbile units:

Juggernaut (Dwarf Tank)

Earth borer Drill (Steampowered Melee chariot) could be a variant of the Juggernaut

Gatling Guns: Used primarly on Dawi Ships, there is also the Breaker Cannons that are bigger (Or Lighter,I don't remember which) cannons that are primary used on ships
    Steam Golem: Steam Claw and Gatling/Clatter Gun (Kind of acting like slower Skaven Stormfiend)

• Fingolfin_the-Golden#2157Fingolfin_the-Golden#2157 Registered Users Posts: 6,790
    The big new monsters seem a bit much, but yes, glorious yes to the rest.
    BEARS, Beets, Battlestar Galactica 🧝‍♀️ Pandas too please CA!
  • Reeks#2417Reeks#2417 Registered Users Posts: 10,387
    I would buy the heck out of that DLC if it contained Legendary heroes(like Snorri Nosebiter) and less Shard Dragons(like ZERO of them)

Nice post though, now i want to play dawi again, who knows i might do that, i´m getting tired of the grueling heavily modded Rakarth campaign i got going on

Nurgle is love

Nurgle is life

#JusticeForNurglingForumAvatars
  • Rheingold#6691Rheingold#6691 Registered Users Posts: 1,602
    Realistically whats possible and what I would like to see:

Grimm LL
    Mal LH
    Josef FLC
    Engineer lord with gyro mount

Decent hero in combat so either Demon or dragon slayer.
    Deathroller
    Thunderbarge
    Thunderers with longer range.
    Hammerers and miners buffed.
    Ironbreakers with gold shields.
    Bardins mini gun making an appearance somehow.
    Regular cannon range needs to be equivalent to other artillery otherwise dawi have a major issue.
    That or buff gyro's.

No shard dragons.

Personally I don't want any golems but I can't deny that it would solve the main issues with dawi.
  • Ben1990#8909Ben1990#8909 Registered Users Posts: 3,044
    You forgot Rune Guardians my dude. They, Rune Golems and Shard Dragons are the runic unit trio that are needed for the Dawi along with the engineer units and rest of the Slayer Cult.

Also proposition for a new Dwarf hero.
    Witch Hunter of Gazul: A follower of Gazul, Ancestor God and Guardian of the spirits of Dwarf Ancestors (he in fact kickstarted the whole ancestor worship). Similar in terms of map mechanics to his Empire counterpart, but is a pure melee character with abilities and skills that further enhance the Dwarf's spell resistance and effectiveness against undead. Is armed with a runic sword (because Gazul's weapon of choice is one) and is a powerful character hunter that also deals even more damage to anything that is undead (so Mannlet, even on a Zombie Dragon, will be gravely endangered).
    arthadaw said:

Added possbile units:

Juggernaut (Dwarf Tank)

Earth borer Drill (Steampowered Melee chariot) could be a variant of the Juggernaut

Gatling Guns: Used primarly on Dawi Ships, there is also the Breaker Cannons that are bigger (Or Lighter,I don't remember which) cannons that are primary used on ships
    Steam Golem: Steam Claw and Gatling/Clatter Gun (Kind of acting like slower Skaven Stormfiend)

Actually I'd see the Juggernaut as a cross between a Empire Steam Tank and the Marienburg Landship. Something like a Ironclad on wheels that makes the former two jealous like hell.
  • Sultschiem#8734Sultschiem#8734 Registered Users Posts: 3,505
    Would love to see the Priestess, I think that aspect is missing and they are one of the very few female dwarf characters you can add without much problem.

Instead of Deathrollers I would like to see the Ancestor Engines. They are essentially Melee Steamtanks but with special effects based on the Ancestor for it. Its slow, so not good for Shock, more of a grinder-chariot thats like a really high mass rock in your formation. It fits the dawi better?

Deathrollers are cool, but I think the biggest source of mobility for dwarfs should come from their Airforce OR miners with steamdrills digging themselves to somewhere else on the battlefield (or being able to appear wherever they want), which is what makes them so unique.
    Wyvax said:

Yannir said:

Source for the lore blurb? :p
    To be entirely clear, I made that up. :lol:
    In case that wasn't apparent.
    Rheingold said:

Grimm LL
    Mal LH
    Josef FLC

Deathroller
    Thunderbarge
    Regular cannon range needs to be equivalent to other artillery otherwise dawi have a major issue.
    That or buff gyro's.

No shard dragons.

Personally I don't want any golems but I can't deny that it would solve the main issues with dawi.

There is literally nothing said that Dwarfs can't have Shard Dragons. And I checked all the books and other Warhammer media. As long as the unreliable is made reliable, Dwarfs will use it.
    Ben1990 said:

Rheingold said:

Grimm LL
    Mal LH
    Josef FLC

Deathroller
    Thunderbarge
    That or buff gyro's.

No shard dragons.

There is literally nothing said that Dwarfs can't have Shard Dragons. And I checked all the books and other Warhammer media. As long as the unreliable is made reliable, Dwarfs will use it.
    That's true. Shard Dragons are just stupid and GW made a mistake by inventing them. They should be retconned out of existence. If they can collar dragons, why wouldn't they put a collar on something far simpler like a ram and make cavalry detachments out of them? Shard Dragons are a big-time logical fallacy just to give dawi a big, flashy monster to sell models.

Would love to see the Priestess, I think that aspect is missing and they are one of the very few female dwarf characters you can add without much problem.

Instead of Deathrollers I would like to see the Ancestor Engines. They are essentially Melee Steamtanks but with special effects based on the Ancestor for it. Its slow, so not good for Shock, more of a grinder-chariot thats like a really high mass rock in your formation. It fits the dawi better?

Deathrollers are cool, but I think the biggest source of mobility for dwarfs should come from their Airforce OR miners with steamdrills digging themselves to somewhere else on the battlefield (or being able to appear wherever they want), which is what makes them so unique.

Nah. Deathrollers are fine. Would anger Skaven because the Dawi build something that is tougher and overall better than their Doom-Flayers. Also it's better this way. Dwarfs to this day don't have any cavalry due to sheer superstition and distrust for animals as mounts (except for the very, very few Dawi oddballs who actually do ride). And for Dawi to have cavalry it would take them 10K years to get used to.
    Yannir said:

Ben1990 said:

Rheingold said:

Grimm LL
    Mal LH
    Josef FLC

Deathroller
    Thunderbarge
    That or buff gyro's.

No shard dragons.

That's true. Shard Dragons are just stupid and GW made a mistake by inventing them. They should be retconned out of existence. If they can collar dragons, why wouldn't they put a collar on something far simpler like a ram and make cavalry detachments out of them? Shard Dragons are a big-time logical fallacy just to give dawi a big, flashy monster to sell models.
    Because they don't use the Shard Dragon as mounts, the collar is there to turn the Dragon into a compliant Murder ferret

And GW has deemed it a good idea since they expanded upon it with the Fyreslayer, sure they aren't my cup of tea but GW has made them
  • Xenos777Xenos777 Registered Users Posts: 8,038
    why do some dwarfs in WH have the patronymic (x-son) and others don't?
  • Reeks#2417Reeks#2417 Registered Users Posts: 10,387
    Xenos7777 said:

Nobody knows for sure son

Nurgle is love

Nurgle is life

#JusticeForNurglingForumAvatars
    arthadaw said:

Yannir said:

Ben1990 said:

Rheingold said:

Grimm LL
    Mal LH
    Josef FLC

Deathroller
    Thunderbarge
    That or buff gyro's.

No shard dragons.

Because they don't use the Shard Dragon as mounts, the collar is there to turn the Dragon into a compliant Murder ferret

And GW has deemed it a good idea since they expanded upon it with the Fyreslayer, sure they aren't my cup of tea but GW has made them
    They actually fit AoS much better than Fantasy so I don't mind them there. Whether they're mounts or not doesn't really change the situation. If they can put runic collars on dragons, why not giants or trolls that are far easier to capture in the first place?
    Xenos7777 said:

Why do certain human have such name and other don't ? It really is a cultural thing. Like certain clan might do it while other don't
    Yannir said:

arthadaw said:

Yannir said:

Ben1990 said:

Rheingold said:

Grimm LL
    Mal LH
    Josef FLC

Deathroller
    Thunderbarge
    That or buff gyro's.

No shard dragons.

They actually fit AoS much better than Fantasy so I don't mind them there. Whether they're mounts or not doesn't really change the situation. If they can put runic collars on dragons, why not giants or trolls that are far easier to capture in the first place?
    Because the Troll and Giants aren't useful for that. But a Murder Ferret might
    Yannir said:

Ben1990 said:

Rheingold said:

Grimm LL
    Mal LH
    Josef FLC

Deathroller
    Thunderbarge
    That or buff gyro's.

No shard dragons.

No. If they were added in then on purpose and not because of some stupid mistake. Also I had chats with people and they confirmed that they wanted to add more monsters to certain factions. And Rune Golems were supposed to be originally be added to the game along with the River Troll Hag. Not to mention that the runic collar makes the murder ferret reliable. And putting literally a powerful magical item on a ram to control it? This is utterly counterproductive considering that the Shard Dragon is a giant, serpentine murder ferret of an offshoot of dragons descended from mutant dragons that crawled into the deep darkness of the underground with a set of abilities that makes it OP. Of course the Dawi would use that on it instead of a ram that can be tamed in a normal fashion. Also there are lore reasons for them having Shard Dragons and shackling them is a creative way of grudge settling.
    In case of cavalry Dwarfs don't have any due to a mix of superstition and distrust towards anything in that direction. Animals for pulling carts? Sure. Riding on said animals? HELL NO...except for the very, very few Dawi in the entire Karaz-Ankor who ride animals and are considered oddballs. It would require thousands of years for Dwarfs to get used to the idea of taming and breeding animals for war purposes yet alone training with them to make legitimate and useful cavalry units.
    And don't get me started on the fact that in their very first army book, the one that gave them some fleshing out, the Dwarfs could recruit from all possible available monsters. From Griffins to Manticores to Hydras to Dragons. And the Storm of Magic + Monstrous Arcanum allows them, like many other factions, to recruit monsters without any consequences. Only the Shard Dragon is considered here the only unit that is used much more by Dwarfs than other factions and is considered a more Dwarf-centric unit.
    The whole no monsters thing for Dwarfs I heard for a long time is now, and I see it after all that research, something coined up by people who blindly believe in that some factions should remain the same and who camp in a corner with cannons.
    Yannir said:

arthadaw said:

Yannir said:

Ben1990 said:

Rheingold said:

Grimm LL
    Mal LH
    Josef FLC

Deathroller
    Thunderbarge
    That or buff gyro's.

No shard dragons.

Because Shard Dragons have literally entire Libraries of Grudges and compared to Giants and Trolls, they are much powerful creatures. Hence shackling them and using as living tomahawk missiles that the Runelord points at problems that need to be removed with as much violence and collateral damage as possible is a thing in the lore section on the murder ferrets (that and if the Dawi ancestors saw merit in shackling them, then there was a good reason for it...and you don't argue with ancestors). I mean razor scales that hurt people that fail to hit them (and which harden over time to the point of being as hard as gromlir), a venom so strong and corrosive it burns the hardest rocks, a rabid frenzy that makes them even more deadlier the moment they get so much as a flesh wound, and a gaseous breathe that makes you see horrors so scary you die from a heart attack (and which oddly works on undead and daemons too)...and the ability to climb over walls makes this monster a power multiplier.
    Also the Dispossessed are literally vanilla Warhammer Dwarfs in AoS. So if they got the Shard Dragon there then Dawi would too...if the rumors are true that is.
    Ben1990 said:

Yannir said:

arthadaw said:

Yannir said:

Ben1990 said:

Rheingold said:

Grimm LL
    Mal LH
    Josef FLC

Deathroller
    Thunderbarge
    That or buff gyro's.

No shard dragons.

Because Shard Dragons have literally entire Libraries of Grudges and compared to Giants and Trolls, they are much powerful creatures. Hence shackling them and using as living tomahawk missiles that the Runelord points at problems that need to be removed with as much violence and collateral damage as possible is a thing in the lore section on the murder ferrets (that and if the Dawi ancestors saw merit in shackling them, then there was a good reason for it...and you don't argue with ancestors). I mean razor scales that hurt people that fail to hit them (and which harden over time to the point of being as hard as gromlir), a venom so strong and corrosive it burns the hardest rocks, a rabid frenzy that makes them even more deadlier the moment they get so much as a flesh wound, and a gaseous breathe that makes you see horrors so scary you die from a heart attack (and which oddly works on undead and daemons too)...and the ability to climb over walls makes this monster a power multiplier.
    Also the Dispossessed are literally vanilla Warhammer Dwarfs in AoS. So if they got the Shard Dragon there then Dawi would too...if the rumors are true that is.
    Did the Dispossessed get Shard Dragon in AoS ? I though the only one that got any monster were the Fyreslayers ?

arthadaw said:

Ben1990 said:

Yannir said:

arthadaw said:

Yannir said:

Ben1990 said:

Rheingold said:

Grimm LL
    Mal LH
    Josef FLC

Deathroller
    Thunderbarge
    That or buff gyro's.

No shard dragons.

Did the Dispossessed get Shard Dragon in AoS ? I though the only one that got any monster were the Fyreslayers ?

There are no Shard Dragons in AoS sadly. And by rumors I mean that I heard from various sources that GW will try to make some models ported into Warhammer Fantasy via Warhammer: The Old World. Which ones I don't know, but probably the Chaos rosters like the monogod mortals and the marked Beastmen. But those are rumors so don't think those are true. Need more info on that if it's legit or not.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sultschiem#8734Sultschiem#8734 Registered Users Posts: 3,505
    arthadaw said:

Xenos7777 said:

Why do certain human have such name and other don't ? It really is a cultural thing. Like certain clan might do it while other don't
    Various reasons:
    - Orphans/Bastards
    - Those banned from their clans
    - Some may take on a name to honor an ancestor
    - Some father might be shamed and they change their names
    - Some earn themselves a new Name or a great house/clan....then you need a name associating you with said clan.