Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Proposed Race Expansion #2: The Greenskins

WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 5,712
Da boyz iz back in town!!!!

The second post in my series of hypothetical expansions per certain Warhammer races. This one will have a heavy emphasis on forest goblins and big squigs. But plenty of orc presentation too, especially in the LL department!

New LLs
There are six here just because I wanted to cover all potential candidates.

Gorfang Rotgut

The Squatter King of Black Crag. Incredibly intelligent and shrewd for an orc, what's more impressive is that he's not a black orc but a regular one yet he's absolutely massive and still wickedly sharp. He dominates the Badlands and the routes through them, and has a feud with King Kazador of Karak Azul. It's time for Grimgor to go back to the Blasted Wastes so Gorfang can shine as a true LL! (Plus our Best Boy would be able to start in a more loreful location anyway!)

Snagla Grobspit

Surviving Chieftain of the Redvenom Tribe, inhabits the Black Pit and wages constant guerilla war on the Men of the Empire as well as the Beastmen of the Drakwald and elves of Laraullorn Forest; would give us a really interesting greenskin campaign in a very different biome. Rides a gigantic spider into battle as a monstrous mount.

Morglum Necksnapper

(The model was released just before WFB was destroyed by the ET, it's an updated version of his old 4th-5th edition version).
Morglum Necksnapper is a fearsome Black Orc Warboss who rides into battle with twin axes atop his ferocious boar mount. In many ways he is like the modern day incarnation of the famous Gorbad Ironclaw of a millennium ago, having fought and defeated an Errantry War of the Bretonnians at Black Fire Pass and terrorizing the Border Princes, and Dwarf Holds of the Badlands. He could also be moved over into the Mountains of Morne to provide a Greenskin rivalry and campaign near the Ogre Kingdoms.
"Let 'em tell da King. Da east belongs to da Orcs. Da east belongs to Morglum. Da east is green."

Grumlok & Gazbag

This dynamic duo originated in Warhammer: Age of Reckoning and had a cross promotional model on the TT. Grumlok and Gazbag are individually fierce Black Orc Warboss and Goblin Great Shaman leading the Bloody Sunz Tribe, but together these two buddies are a truly formidable duo of might and magic. Notable for the influence Malekith held over them to weaken the dwarfs. Would also finally provide us with a LL with access to the Lore of the Little WAAAGH!!!

The Black Gobbo

The Black Gobbo is the ever present thorn in the side of Grombrindal, the White Dwarf. The Jerry to his Tom, the Roadrunner to his Wile E. Coyote. He's the most despicable and slippery of all goblin kind, earning him respect from even the nastiest of skulkers. Notorious for luring dwarfs into traps and looting their gear afterwards, as a result all of his special equipment is directly lifted from the dwarfs himself. He's an absolute nutter that wields an axe far to large for himself in combat.

Gitilla Da Hunter

A much reknowned and feared Goblin Big Boss hailing from the Wolflands. Gitilla has served with many an orc tribe as a mercenary of war and leader of scouts. He rides a massive she-wolf called Ulda and fights with a bow. He could function quite well as a LH in addition to a LL.

New Lords:
(Note, due to all of the permutations of greenskin culture, I'm trying to cover all bases, but at some point it get's silly to have so many lord and hero types, that are nearly functionally identical. So some omissions will be present, though not at random.)

Savage Orc Warboss

The savage counterpart to the regular Orc Warboss, with a great weapon and no shield, it would make a fantastic anti-large leader. Can get a War Boar mount.

Orc Great Shaman

Quite bizarre that we don't have it already really. Generic lord tier caster, with a visual style that could fit in with both savage and regular orc armies, just like the hero version. Can get a boar, chariot or Wyvern mount.

Forest Goblin Warboss

A completely new lord type for the Greenskins, armed with a bow and functioning as a ranged and melee hybrid lord. Would get a gigantic spider as a mount.

New Hero:

Forest Goblin Shaman

This is basically like the Eshin Sorceror. A unique new mage hero bringing a new lore of magic, this time the Lore of the Spiders, something that exists in a rather primitive form in the TT and lore but could be expanded upon.

New Units:

Spear Boyz

Should probably just be a FLC addition honestly.

Forest Goblin Infantry

Not all forest gobbos have a spider to go to war on, plenty go fighting purely on foot. These lads would work similarly to Lothern Sea Guard, equipped with poisonous bows, shields and spears. Lacking the stalk ability of Night Goblins but possessing vanguard and bonuses in forests instead.

Big Stabba

Sort of an orc 'weapon team' though in truth these madlads just run up to monsters and stick 'em as many times as possible.

Gigantic Spiders

Image shows the size difference between the Spider Riders we already have in game and the monstrous cavalry Gigantic Spiders. These would essentially be a fast and offensive equivalent of the Vampire Coast's Rotting Prometheans. Eight Legged Freaks anyone???

Arachnarok Web Flinger

Just an artillery equipped variant of the current Arachnarok Spiders. The mounted web flinger catapults launches huge balls of sticky spider silk that coats the ground in slowing mess and inhibits movement of anything it hits as well as damage.

Spear Chukkas

It's a goblin ballista. Enough said.

Squig Gobba

Rather strange 'artillery piece' of the greenskins. Shoots explosive squigs at the enemy!

Mangler Squigs

I have no idea how they would animate this, but considering they already made Nurglings we know they can do it! Nigh uncontrollable whirling chain of giant squig death.

Colossal Squig

A super unit sort of like the Rogue Idol. Would be roughly on par with Carnosaurs on the battle field.

Welp that's all I got for this one. Post anything I may have missed below please, as well as constructive criticism to help me improve. A lot of my summaries are brief as I didn't think there needs to be much explanation with these units. Next entry will be about leeches!
Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
Me when I see a LL character implemented as a LH.

Warhammer Deserves Naval Battles

Comments

• GloatingSwineGloatingSwine Registered Users Posts: 1,549
    Missing Gorbad Ironclaw (the actual missing 8th edition rulebook character). Offended that Solland is on the map and coming back to put that right.

That said I think Greenskins are actually in a pretty good place, they just need a few tweaks to give Orc units a bit more value compared to Goblins and Grimgor needs to have some actual command ability (I would do it as mapwide buffs to Orc units as long as he personally is in combat).
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,684
    Goblin Great Shaman default to Forest Goblin Great Shaman the second they get an Arachnarok -- only FG have these things. Lore of Spiders should be in, though.
  • AdmTDAdmTD Registered Users Posts: 75
    I have to say

thanks for these posts, i have a lot of fun with them!
  • RheingoldRheingold Registered Users Posts: 1,289
    Nice!
    So while my favourite is Snagla, I think Greenskins need an orc focused dlc not more gobbo's. Other than that don't really have much of an opinion regarding the Orc LL's. Just that it would be nice if they moved Grimgor.
  • scottmelvinscottmelvin Registered Users Posts: 3
    Some great ideas here, I hope to see more opportunities to play Greenskins scattered across the expanded map. They have the most engaging personality of all the other races put together. I know that they're despicable, but I love them anyway :)

Here is a suggestion that I posted to balance the three playable Goblin factions

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/301384/forest-goblin-peltasts#:~:text=FOREST GOBLIN PELTASTS
  • WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 5,712
    edited April 27
    AdmTD said:

I have to say

thanks for these posts, i have a lot of fun with them!

TY! I'm trying to do one a day for each race that I think such hypothetical DLCs would work with.
    Rheingold said:

Nice!
    So while my favourite is Snagla, I think Greenskins need an orc focused dlc not more gobbo's. Other than that don't really have much of an opinion regarding the Orc LL's. Just that it would be nice if they moved Grimgor.

Ditto this so much. Unless there's some material that I'm unaware of though, I think we'd have to hope for GW and CA to release new stuff from The Old World for them though. The orcs have almost nothing to add outside of characters, just gobbos, gobbos and more gobbos lol.

Some great ideas here, I hope to see more opportunities to play Greenskins scattered across the expanded map. They have the most engaging personality of all the other races put together. I know that they're despicable, but I love them anyway :)

Here is a suggestion that I posted to balance the three playable Goblin factions

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/301384/forest-goblin-peltasts#:~:text=FOREST GOBLIN PELTASTS

I like that a lot. It would go a long way to distinguish them from the Night Goblin Archers and the regular Gobbo spears. We definitely need more greenskins around the map. Personally I'd love to see Wurrzag moved to the Southern Jungles, Grimgor on the edge of the Blasted Wastes so we can choose to either invade the Empire and Dwarfs or go back to the Darklands for some revenge on the Dawi Zhar, someone like Morglum Necksnapper butting heads against Greasus Goldtooth and of course Snagla Grobpsit in the Black Pit!
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King

• NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 6,738
    I think they should bring in Snagla as the primary lord for a GS pack, add in a few of the remaining gobbo units, and the play up the spiders.

Some how throw in the Big Stabba.. it would make my day....
  • WarfieldWarfield Registered Users Posts: 527
    IT IS UNPOSSIBLE.... to agree any more with a post than this. Shame I can only click agree once.

Kazador vs Gorfang DLC... make it happen CA!

Unit Champions for the Dwarfs! (Gatekeepers, Greatbeards, Ironbeards, Ol' Deadeyes!)

Warfield Undermountain
    Dwarf Lord of Stone and Steel

TWW3 Dwarf Content Series:
    FLC/Update #1: "Brewing" Update, Josef Bugman FLC, Bugman's Brewery faction
    FLC/Update #2: "Royal Blood" Update, Alrik Ranulfsson FLC, Karak Hirn faction
    FLC/Update #3: "Vengeance" Update, Kazador Thunderhorn FLC, Karak Azul faction
    FLC/Update #4: "Runelore" Update, Kragg the Grim FLC, Runesmith's Guild faction

DLC #1: The Sorcerer and the Engineer, "Engineer's Workshop" Update
    DLC #2: The Daemon and the Slayer, "Slayer's Oath" Update
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,684
    Warfield said:

IT IS UNPOSSIBLE...

I smell an ogre.

• MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,336
    I'm not invested in the GS, but if I were to make a choice then it would be Gorfang Rotgut. They could use Orc LL with LP-level animations, mechanics and narrative.
  • MarkStu67MarkStu67 Registered Users Posts: 58
    As a big Greenskins player I would also love to see Gorfang Rotgut take over Black Crag and Grimgor relocated. As others have said an Orc-themed Lord pack would be brilliant. With a few additions to the roster (Spear Boyz, Big Stabba) the Greenskins would be in a good place for when IE appears.
  • JTWJTW Senior Member The empire of DenmarkRegistered Users Posts: 403
    Been a treat reading both of these posts OP, looking forward to the next one!
    It's never too late to panic!
  • SultschiemSultschiem Registered Users Posts: 3,096
    Grumlok and Gazbag are a difficult one, because they are part of the Age of Reckoning-Timeline, which is an alternative timeline specifically created for Warhammer Online.

But the concept of a Duo like that is cool.

Lore of spiders? Yes please. Greenskins need another lore and expanding upon the Forest Goblins is definitely a great idea.

We already have spiders as recruitable entities....and the ability to spawn spiders. So the Lore of Spiders could focus on giving strider, slowing, poisoning and summoning spiders

Hell, the Spider Shaman or Forest Goblin Warboss should have unique synergies specifically to their spider-units.

The concept of Forest Goblin characters being hybrids is a great idea too.

And the Squig Gobba is an absolute must-have.... he is way too cool and toad-animations already exists with plague-toads. The joy of watching squigs flying through the air is deeply needed :)
  • NVNMNVNM Registered Users Posts: 182
    CA isn't reading this and they don't care.
  • WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 5,712
    NVNM said:

CA isn't reading this and they don't care.

A lot of our brainstormed ideas for LLs and campaigns have been incorporated into the game already. Maedrethnir's proposition for Imrik to 'awake the ancient dragons', a workshop for Ikkit Claw and Frankentein's lab for Throt the Unclean were each speculated about in masse before CA implemented either, and a year before the Shadow and the Blade came out, I proposed implementing Deathmaster Snikch as a hybrid lord and agent on the campaign map, in the end we got the ability to do that with the Eshin contracts and missions. The devs have previously stated that they do look at our brainstorming ideas, that's the basic business concept of supply and demand.

Here's a corpse flower for your troubles though.

• Beytran70Beytran70 Registered Users Posts: 199
    I think Gorfang is the most likely one, and I'd love to see him in a LP with Kazador, obvs. If they don't opt to move Grimgor, they could also potentially give Gorfang the White Dwarf treatment where he's an alternate LL for the faction of Black Crag or the like.