Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Not going to lie, I’m concerned about the game’s longevity.

Bonutz#3949Bonutz#3949 Registered Users Posts: 5,763
edited May 2022 in Total War General Chat
Let me start by saying that this post comes from a place of passion for this series. I’m not one to complain too often. I usually like to give CA the benefit of the doubt when it comes to controversial situations. They’ve made products that I’ve thoroughly loved my entire life, Warhammer most of all. I’ve regularly defended this trilogy since 2016 when it first came out. It’s a phenomenal series of games and I love it. I want it to continue for years and years to come just like the rest of you do I’m sure.

But at this point, I’m concerned.

- CA releasing an unfinished game before it was ready.
- Bugs galore
- Incredibly slow release schedule for patches and DLC
- Poor steam reviews
- Players dropping more and more by the day
- Consistent negative posts from the community

I can go on. I’m not going to come right out and say that the game is destined to fail or that CA should have delayed it. What’s done is done. All that matters is what they can do moving forward.

CA can (and should) come back from this and bring the game back to life, but they NEED to get it together and get it together fast. Now is the time.

Immortal Empires needs to be downright impressive. Brought up to TWW2 standards at the very least. Some bugs are fine and honestly expected but it can’t be worse than the Game 2 combined map. You can’t have a 5 year old game outshine your brand new game. That’s ridiculous.

Communication needs to be way better all around. Keep your community informed. Be honest with your players who give you a lot of money for your products. Why do we have to beg you for a simple roadmap? Come on.

Patches (especially minor patches) need to come way faster. 3 months to fix replenishment for Tzeentch and Slaanesh? Seriously? That’s a simple data change. What have you guys been doing the last 2 and a half months? 1 minor patch during all that time is baffling.

If CA can do all these things, then I think it’ll be fine. We’ll bask in the glory of Warhammer for many years. People will continue buying the DLC’s. Otherwise, I don’t think the game will survive, loathe as I am to say. It’ll be joining Three Kingdoms in video game heaven. People are getting more and more sick of this by the day and I’d rather see the game go out with a bang after 5-10 years of great DLC’s rather then a whimper 1 year from now.

Rant over. Thanks for reading.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I’m all out of bubblegum.
Post edited by dge1 on

Comments

• Vanilla_Gorilla#8529Vanilla_Gorilla#8529 Registered Users Posts: 39,759
    I'm not. IE will release, it'll be poggy woggy awesome, and all will be right with the world.
    There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Drybrush Disciple, Sophisticated Savage.
  • Fingolfin_the-Golden#2157Fingolfin_the-Golden#2157 Registered Users Posts: 6,786
    Not me.
    BEARS, Beets, Battlestar Galactica 🧝‍♀️ Pandas too please CA!
  • TheChocolateJesus#3772TheChocolateJesus#3772 Senior Member GermanyRegistered Users Posts: 1,488
    I am not truly worried yet. We should consider the over all situation towards the end of the year and when IE comes out of its beta status. If by that point the game hasn't meaningfully improved and still lacks players then I'd say it's a good point at which one can and should absolutely worry about the game's future.
    It's gotta be a Chocolate Jesus to keep me satisfied.
  • Xenos777Xenos777 Registered Users Posts: 8,038
    I'm not even concerned anymore. I just expect the worse. Very little hope for the future as of now.
  • Fingolfin_the-Golden#2157Fingolfin_the-Golden#2157 Registered Users Posts: 6,786
    Xenos7777 said:

I'm not even concerned anymore. I just expect the worse. Very little hope for the future as of now.

Why?
  • Xenos777Xenos777 Registered Users Posts: 8,038

Xenos7777 said:

Why?
    Well, same reasons as OP.
  • alpharender33#2889alpharender33#2889 Registered Users Posts: 433
    edited May 2022
    People will continue to buy DLC regardless. Please don't underestimate the average Warhammer player :wink:

Seriously though, the game will be fine. The base game is good but needs improvements (RoC, Auto Resolve, Unit Respose, Performance). However, all of these can be fixed relatively quickly. The core of the game which are the varied factions and "funness" is very strong. Immortal Empire and performance fixes will help a lot.

The reason 3K was cancelled because it stopped selling DLCs. WH3 is never gonna stop selling DLCs because players are not gonna drop three games worth of investment. CA will never cancel WH3 because it is a cumulative effort of 10 years of development and their flagship product as of now. Three Kingdom on the otherhand was kind of niche and the DLC itself was very confusing (added start dates etc that no one cared about).
    Post edited by dge1 on
  • Passthechips#4366Passthechips#4366 Registered Users Posts: 1,528
    Posting this here from the other thread:

Even 3K got 2 years of DLC support with 6 DLC releases, and that’s what doomsayers cite when they worry for WH3’s future.

It’s a promising sign they are doubling down on fixing the game prior to releasing DLC. It signals they are invested in having a good platform for future players to buy DLC and enjoy it. If it was the other way around I would be much more worried of them just doing a cash grab.

You can quote me: In a years time with IE being out for 6 months and an additional LP + maybe Dawi-Zharr, this time will just be a memory and most of the doomsayers here will have bought all the content anyways.
  • Neodeinos#5871Neodeinos#5871 Registered Users Posts: 16,106
    I'm not worried and I don't a reason to worry yet. I have faith CA will manage to fix the game now that Rich is working on it, the DLC team usually does quite a good job. Unless the DLCs are selling poorly somehow there should be nothing to worry about.
    Neodeinos said:

I'm not worried and I don't a reason to worry yet. I have faith CA will manage to fix the game now that Rich is working on it, the DLC team usually does quite a good job. Unless the DLCs are selling poorly somehow there should be nothing to worry about.

Which I doubt they will. Chaos dwarfs are bags of money disguised as big hats.
  • #902441#902441 Registered Users Posts: 7,499
    Some will come back for the Chaos-themed Lord Pack and the IE Beta, I have no doubt, as long as the Lord Pack isn't part of the Souls race.

Just less than would have come back for the full release of IE and the Chaos Dwarfs.

Depends how many less it ends up being.

Things aren't going to go Battlefield nuclear with death threats over all this, but I can see apathy and irritation ending the game sooner than it perhaps otherwise would. CA has to hope that enough people stick around that by the time they've got the base game sorted and can start pumping out DLC, people are still around and interested.

For in spite of all temptations. To belong to other nations. He remains an Englishman.
  • Passthechips#4366Passthechips#4366 Registered Users Posts: 1,528
    Most people who are leaving are just going to other total war games. The population isn’t really dropping so much as it is just spreading from what it looks like. IE drops and they come back.

I’m not worried.
  • Nyxilis#3646Nyxilis#3646 Registered Users Posts: 7,726
    I still think people have short memories. Do people not remember how negative the posts were at game 2's launch? People were viciously attacking any one saying things were going to be fine. They were making all kinds of conspiracy theories.

They were also saying the game was dead, it's dead, it's going to die.

People with very short memories don't seem to realize how much they sound like deja vu to me. Up to including the more negative reviews early on with Steam, as if anyone pays attention to those beyond does the game boot up or not.

Game 2 was not remotely bug free. Again, short memories. How many people here have complained about corrupted saves? Any loyalty bugs preventing factions from being played? Something like how Queek couldn't take any units from pestilences cause they would near immediately faff off from loyalty bugs? The AR values were terrible there as well, up to and including the armies you spawned to try and hamper the enemy automatically lost because they were 'minor factions' and they had penalties that were laughable so they also got bulldozed. That didnt' get fixed till mid lifespan.

If complaints want to be made I get it, especially since they made some of the same ones. Yeah, that sucks and shame on them for that.

But end of the game? Yeah, if people don't remember the outright toxic vomit that was constantly unendlingly spewing at the front end of game two. When they were not telling people about the longer times between DLC, being cagey about Norsca and then when they admitted to it? Hah, I hate to tell you even the hate going now does not remotely feel new, it does not feel original, it does not feel even worse.

Games not dead, but it's probably going to be a year before some are happy with it.
  • #902441#902441 Registered Users Posts: 7,499
    Nyxilis said:

I still think people have short memories. Do people not remember how negative the posts were at game 2's launch? People were viciously attacking any one saying things were going to be fine. They were making all kinds of conspiracy theories.

People with very short memories don't seem to realize how much they sound like deja vu to me. Up to including the more negative reviews early on with Steam, as if anyone pays attention to those beyond does the game boot up or not.

Game 2 was not remotely bug free. Again, short memories. How many people here have complained about corrupted saves? Any loyalty bugs preventing factions from being played? Something like how Queek couldn't take any units from pestilences cause they would near immediately faff off from loyalty bugs? The AR values were terrible there as well, up to and including the armies you spawned to try and hamper the enemy automatically lost because they were 'minor factions' and they had penalties that were laughable so they also got bulldozed. That didnt' get fixed till mid lifespan.

If complaints want to be made I get it, especially since they made some of the same ones. Yeah, that sucks and shame on them for that.

But end of the game? Yeah, if people don't remember the outright toxic vomit that was constantly unendlingly spewing at the front end of game two. When they were not telling people about the longer times between DLC, being cagey about Norsca and then when they admitted to it? Hah, I hate to tell you even the hate going now does not remotely feel new, it does not feel original, it does not feel even worse.

Games not dead, but it's probably going to be a year before some are happy with it.

Game 2 was indeed troublesome at launch, but it had the Tomb Kings and Mortal Empires by this time, so you were at least able to keep yourself occupied.

TWW3 right now is more flawed and also boring, the latter being the more troublesome thing.
    For in spite of all temptations. To belong to other nations. He remains an Englishman.
  • Bonutz#3949Bonutz#3949 Registered Users Posts: 5,763
    Nyxilis said:

To be clear, I’m not saying the game is dead or destined to fail. Said that in my post. I believe CA will get it up to speed at some point.

However, nothing is ironclad solid. Any game can be cancelled if it gets bad enough. That’s still a very possible scenario and I think it’s unrealistic to think that any game, even the Warhammer series, is immune from that. CA can and should be doing better and that was my overall point.

Yes, Warhammer 2 was also rocky on launch. I remember. But we also got content way quicker back then so the backlash wasn’t nearly as pronounced. Despite its early shortcomings, there were more players and more hype 2-3 months in then where Warhammer 3 is now.

I do think IE release will generate more hype and bring players back for this game but it can’t be a broken mess. That’s just adding more fuel to the fire in my opinion.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I’m all out of bubblegum.
  • RikisRikis Registered Users Posts: 1,682
    I'll be worried when we are a few DLCs in WH3 lifecycle and they all fall flat.
  • eomat#7953eomat#7953 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    Worrying about CA stopping with their license to print money? I don't think so. Definitely not at this point. There's still so much to come.
  • OdTengri#8235OdTengri#8235 Registered Users Posts: 10,231

I'm not. IE will release, it'll be poggy woggy awesome, and all will be right with the world.

Funny thing is that Immortal Empires is probably going to release and it wont be till another 6mos after that that the actual Realm of Souls Campaign is in a polished finished state.
  • Herr_ArnulfeHerr_Arnulfe Registered Users Posts: 904
    Arsenic said:

Some will come back for the Chaos-themed Lord Pack and the IE Beta, I have no doubt, as long as the Lord Pack isn't part of the Souls race.

I assumed that new DLC lords would be part of the Ursun campaign (as per TW2 and the Vortex). In some ways, the Realms of Chaos would be more fun with more LLs competing for the souls. However, perhaps DLC lords' objectives could be tied to the rifts in different ways instead.

Ultimately, the WH3 campaign is probably a concession to the posters who vocally insisted that the Realms of Chaos mustn't be included in WH3 unless every faction could have access to it. Hopefully the Ursun campaign has satisfied these people so the new lords (and IE) can take a lore-friendlier approach to the RoC.
  • Nyxilis#3646Nyxilis#3646 Registered Users Posts: 7,726
    Arsenic said:

Nyxilis said:

Game 2 was indeed troublesome at launch, but it had the Tomb Kings and Mortal Empires by this time, so you were at least able to keep yourself occupied.

TWW3 right now is more flawed and also boring, the latter being the more troublesome thing.
    It had TK yep, which were pretty obviously being worked on earlier and later admitted to. And it's why you'll find in other threads I don't think DLC should have actually been truly fully delayed. But, even then it still had massive issues and while TK was received.. again short memories.. because people were complaining then about how people just praised them and had back slid back into huge negativity on the forums because many problems like loyalty bugs, ar values, siege glitches, massive crashing, save corruptions, and other issues remained. Warhammer II didn't get to a 'fine' state till after a year. The only thing that kept player attention span longer was ME and you will find I very much want IE for those reasons. It's delay is bad.
    Bonutz said:

Nyxilis said:

To be clear, I’m not saying the game is dead or destined to fail. Said that in my post. I believe CA will get it up to speed at some point.

However, nothing is ironclad solid. Any game can be cancelled if it gets bad enough. That’s still a very possible scenario and I think it’s unrealistic to think that any game, even the Warhammer series, is immune from that. CA can and should be doing better and that was my overall point.

Yes, Warhammer 2 was also rocky on launch. I remember. But we also got content way quicker back then so the backlash wasn’t nearly as pronounced. Despite its early shortcomings, there were more players and more hype 2-3 months in then where Warhammer 3 is now.

I do think IE release will generate more hype and bring players back for this game but it can’t be a broken mess. That’s just adding more fuel to the fire in my opinion.
    Some things are ironclad solid. They already have all the money. This game sold well, it outsold I or II or any other title they actually had people pay for. People comparing it to Dawn of War III seem to forget the game didn't sell well to start with. I didn't buy it up front, and with its massive problems I certainly avoided it. This game had huge preorders on Steam alone, and probably on other platforms.

Another symptom is even for the people who were comfortable enough with the game. Like me, I've already played through it all. The campaigns are remarkably short even at higher difficulties. I can finish a game of any faction in no time flat. I've played them all once through normal and once through a higher difficulty. And I've played through Tzeench and Katarina multiple times. And I'm someone that likes all factions, a lot of people only play good, human, pretty, evil, chaos, monster, or only certain monos. Which means they have even less than me even if they liked the game. This isn't out of hatred, I'm just.. well I've played it all?

I need IE before I start giving my player numbers back and I'm hardly the only person that's stated this by a long shot. And I should point out that ME despite being a broken mess generated a lot. I don't want it to be, but th at's not entirely true. If I got Skaven back I'd be playing right now.
  • Valkaar#2507Valkaar#2507 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,870
    CA has survived countless poor launches. This isn't even CA's roughest launch, not by a country mile.

Sustainable DLC sales are exponentially more important than launch woes.

I'm not going to guarantee that the DLC will be good or sell well. It honestly could go either way.

But it's the DLC sales I would evaluate before I'd even begin to be concerned. The launch truly is irrelevant in the long term scheme of things.
    OdTengri said:

Funny thing is that Immortal Empires is probably going to release and it wont be till another 6mos after that that the actual Realm of Souls Campaign is in a polished finished state.
    How long did it take ME to get into a polished state? I think we all look at it with rose tinted glasses because it was developed over years. Pretty sure it was meh to begin with. Adding another 50% of stuff will probably make it a lot less polished for a long time.
    There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Drybrush Disciple, Sophisticated Savage.
  • OdTengri#8235OdTengri#8235 Registered Users Posts: 10,231

OdTengri said:

How long did it take ME to get into a polished state? I think we all look at it with rose tinted glasses because it was developed over years. Pretty sure it was meh to begin with. Adding another 50% of stuff will probably make it a lot less polished for a long time.
    Nah... the Vortex Campaign was fine on Launch, not everyone's cup of tea for those who don't like narrative campaigns but it was released in a playable state. It didn't have much to compete with though in comparison to TWWH1 who's campaign was essentially a sandbox with Archaon invading at somepoint.

Warhammer 2's issue was the Norsca Fiasco.
  • Valkaar#2507Valkaar#2507 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,870
    edited April 2022

OdTengri said:

^This is true.

I remember numerous posters talking about how they couldn't bring themselves to finish an ME Campaign nor play more ME than Vortex until after the Potion of Speed launched. It was simply too poorly optimized to break out of the mid-game. Not too the map expansions, the forts, the addition of new provinces, the Sword of Khaine, Norsca, and countless other improvements that we take for granted now that were not present upon launch.

There was also the additional issue of the ORIGINAL Chaos Invasion for ME was WAY worse than the Game 1 equivalent. Chaos just randomly spawned in your hinterlands like it did for the Vortex Rituals and ONLY attacked the player. It was a tremendous hassle and not an end game that people enjoyed playing, so many people simply...didn't. It took some time before CA rebalanced the ME Chaos Invasion to more closely mirror Game 1's model, and even then, I'd say Game 1 still did it better, as in Game 2 they never solved the issue of the Ordertide just crushing it.

^Potion of Speed and those cumulative updates and fixes weren't all in the game until December of 2019. A full 2 years and 3 months after ME first launched. I think it's fair to say that it took those full two years before ME, instead of Vortex, became most players 'primary' Campaign Map.

So yes, people should brace themselves now, IE might be launching this year, but I doubt it's going to launch perfectly. It may take an additional full year before it's fully optimized and up to snuff.
    OdTengri said:

OdTengri said:

Nah... the Vortex Campaign was fine on Launch, not everyone's cup of tea for those who don't like narrative campaigns but it was released in a playable state. It didn't have much to compete with though in comparison to TWWH1 who's campaign was essentially a sandbox with Archaon invading at somepoint.

Warhammer 2's issue was the Norsca Fiasco.
    I meant ME, not the Vortex. Vortex was fine from day one.
  • HadrurusHadrurus Registered Users Posts: 38
    This sounds like a lot more doomsaying to me.
    People need to calm down and have some perspective.
    Wh2 was a mess at release, mortal empires was a mess at release and was not in a good state for over a year.
    Yes we all see and I’m sure the developers knew they where being forced to release a game that in many’s opinions was not ready, that is the problem with the corporate structure. On the plus side of that corporate structure, without it we would never likely see a game to be more exact a trilogy of games that are interconnect in the way total war warhammer has.
    I would bet CA’s worst release was Rome 2 and that just got its last DLC just a few years ago. Things will be fine, players will return when game is in better shape, half of our regular most active players are likely playing mortal empires right now. All this negativity is just breeding more negativity.
    I’m not surprised that the negativity has continued after the roadmap because it’s exactly as I expected, the same people complaining about no news then complain about the news they hear. Making more posts stating variations of the same complaints and concerns do nothing for these forums so please just be patient.
  • Djau#5149Djau#5149 Registered Users Posts: 12,172
    If CA sticks to the Roadmap they've mentioned and even if the Nov-Dec is 2.2 or 3.0...even if 3.0 is delayed to Jan/Feb then we will have officially got more content in the first year than Warhammer 2 did plus starting with a bigger roster. Its just that its slow.

• mecanojavi99#6562mecanojavi99#6562 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 11,474
    Way too early to be worried about that IMO, the first DLC and IE hasn't even be released yet, IE is literally the only reason many people bought the game to begin with.

If, and only if, by the end of the year with a full year of patches, IE and the first DLC the situation hasn't improved significantly, then we can start raising alarms, until then it's just too premature.
    "By the fires of Hashut, let them burn in the flames of eternal torment!"
    - Anonymous
  • Artjuh90#8868Artjuh90#8868 Registered Users Posts: 1,697
    Nyxilis said:

Did never actually stopped playing warhammer 2 and deinstalled the game. yet me and many other have with warhammer 3. warhammer 2 had issues yes but the core was great, warhammer 3 has mayor issues in it's core gameplayloop of RoC. this is one thing the people defending the state of the game always forget to mention
  • HadrurusHadrurus Registered Users Posts: 38
    Artjuh90 said:

Nyxilis said:

Did never actually stopped playing warhammer 2 and deinstalled the game. yet me and many other have with warhammer 3. warhammer 2 had issues yes but the core was great, warhammer 3 has mayor issues in it's core gameplayloop of RoC. this is one thing the people defending the state of the game always forget to mention

You seem to forget that wh2 at release had lots of problems at its core. As others have said people tend to look at wh2 through rose colored glasses and completely overlook the problems it had at release because at the end of its life cycle we had fewer problems with the game.