Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Not going to lie, I’m concerned about the game’s longevity.

Comments

• alpharender33alpharender33 Registered Users Posts: 199
    edited May 1
    The month of May has just started, and that means the Steam Charts for April have been updated.

April 2022 has average concurrent players below 10k. This breaks a record for Total War titles, as it has occurred just two months after launch.

It took WH2 seven months.

It took 3K four months.

It took Rome 2 eight months.

It took WH1 four months.

WH3 has doubled the speed to crash below a monthly 10k average, among all TW games that ever had over 10k concurrent players on Steam.

Warhammer 3 is the worst launch in CA's history.
  • Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,885
    it took WH2 seven months because then we had ME one montha AFTER launch. That is a huge factor for that message.

And when it took four months for 3K and WH1, thats also not *that* far off. Sure, WH3 might have dropped faster because the state of the game is [we know it, CA knows it] in a way more despicable state. And then you can pile on top all the long faces when CA tells you two months later they are unable to bring a blood pack for the next 4 months and IME release is Q4.

So yeah, people are doing something better with their time. As you point it out yourself: It is the normal way for every TWW game. Wh3 just rushed that process for its poor delivery so far. In the end, as soon as te IME beta starts, people will be flocking to the game again in greater masses. Depending on the state of IME and the game in general then, either for longer time periords or just to rage quit for another year.

-----Red Dox
  • LegendaryArticunoLegendaryArticuno Registered Users Posts: 501
    edited May 1

You seem to forget that wh2 at release had lots of problems at its core. As others have said people tend to look at wh2 through rose colored glasses and completely overlook the problems it had at release because at the end of its life cycle we had fewer problems with the game.

Why are people so accepting of CA constantly repeating mistakes as if it wasn't preventable? An entire year of WH3's support life cycle will be wasted on correcting prior mistakes that were already fixed back in WH2. The roadmap is a clear sign of this.

The new DLC team coming in can't even focus on pumping out new content because they need to again prioritize fixing mistakes that were once corrected before.
    You claim it was preventable, what with this pandemic forcing many to work from home which I guarantee reduces productivity by at least a good 20%. Then you have their corporate overlords demanding that they keep to date after last delay. Do you really think the developers where sitting on their couches reveling in the anger from the fan base? No, I am sure the development team was not happy with release. Unlike others I have no intent to **** all over the place I intend to spend the next ten or so years sitting in. We got a bad release, can’t change that. What can you change? Your attitude towards the future because it only gets better from here.
    All in all you can decide to **** and **** where you eat if you like, but I myself and many others will just choose to separate ourselves from the toxic side of the fan base and leave you all to sit in excrement.

Lol version control and communication between teams is 100% within the control of developers as nothing to do with corporate pressures.

Also, it's ironic you call people providing constructive criticism toxic. People like you who justify easily preventable mistakes are the reason why Total War games don't see any improvement.
  • Herr_ArnulfeHerr_Arnulfe Registered Users Posts: 898

Anything that takes you away from the map and your regions was always going to be bad.
    There were so many people saying that having the realms in would create the issue. But boy they understated how bad the realms could be.

One of the highlights of my Ku'gath campaign was arriving late to the Realm of Nurgle and having to intercept and defeat Slaanesh, Cathay and Kislev. I'm sure that with a little re-jigging of the RoC and more DoC factions they can make it a fun place for daemons to slug it out.
  • ROMOBOYROMOBOY Registered Users Posts: 4,737
    They somehow managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory… smh
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Cathay > Chaos Dwarfs = Pain

• Beytran70Beytran70 Registered Users Posts: 199
    I think the only real danger will be if IE does eventually come out and is REALLY bad. Like, even for them claiming it is a "beta" levels of bad. Even then, if they are able to fix it with actual speed and not the level of haste we've seen so far, it might be a crisis averted. If it takes too long, though, I think that might be just enough to turn off even the more dedicated players who are already tired of waiting in some regards.
  • Darksteel83Darksteel83 Registered Users Posts: 169
    This topic reminded my that I still had to review WH2. I just did.

This is the review for WH2. I have 1287 hours on WH2.
    This is the best Total War at the moment of writing. And this when WH3 is already launched a couple of months. Buy WH1 as it works as DLC for WH2. And it enables the large Mortal Empires campaign. You will enjoy it.

Might have to change my WH3 review. I wrote that after playing on 23 hours. Currently with 132 hours. My opinion changed a bit.
    The sequel off my favorite game Total Warhammer 2. Great game at this moment will be even better when the combined map is released where you can play with all the races for Warhammer 1, 2 and 3. For the combined map you need to own Warhammer 1 and 2 as when.
    I have bought all Warhammer 1 and 2 DLC.
  • Darksteel83Darksteel83 Registered Users Posts: 169

The month of May has just started, and that means the Steam Charts for April have been updated.

April 2022 has average concurrent players below 10k. This breaks a record for Total War titles, as it has occurred just two months after launch.

It took WH2 seven months.

It took 3K four months.

It took Rome 2 eight months.

It took WH1 four months.

WH3 has doubled the speed to crash below a monthly 10k average, among all TW games that ever had over 10k concurrent players on Steam.

Warhammer 3 is the worst launch in CA's history.

You are not correct. But the truth is not better.

Thrones of Britannia did way worse.
  • ReeksReeks Registered Users Posts: 9,487

With monos and the chaos realms in (as some wanted in the community) wh3 was destined to be like this.
    They then doubled down on the realms and made a race that at launch you had to participate in and rifts…rifts…

It’s all the chaos fans faults. 🤗

The Realms of Chaos were hinted to be in the works since game 1, however some people hated the idea of a campaign area where only daemons could go, which is probably why we got the Ursun campaign. WH3 could easily have included the RoC without making them the main focus.

Don´t bother, she have a bone to pick with monogods, no matter the way CA would have included them she would still have made an effort hating on monogods.
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,643
    edited May 1

My first ME campaign was witj norsca and I didn't finished because was Impossible, I just started to play ME after potion of speed, because before that was a pain, I don't think we wi have the same problem in IE, because I hope CA learned the lesson about turn times, but I also started to play warhammer 2 little after Vampire Coast, and I wanst here too, what matters is how much the dlcs will sell, as some said, 3k get two years of dlcs before they decided to move to 3k2

Norsca was never impossible. No campaign in the game was ever impossible. WH2 was always 100% eminently beatable. No faction was ever THAT broken.

PEBKAC in 99.999% of complaints w/re: to campaign failures across the board. The other .001% being corrupted saves.

Possible Exception: Vampirates, as I never played them longer than an hour and can't comment on them.
  • xDEMOSxxDEMOSx Registered Users Posts: 1,155
    Future plans must have been recalculated to more pessimistic goals by now, I myself have no more hope for Kuresh.

I just want CA to fix monos and give thanquol and nagash, otherwise this game can fail at will.

• dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 23,318
    Stop the verbal grenades and name-calling to or about those with differing opinions folks. Now.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

• NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 6,733

Nyxilis said:

I still think people have short memories. Do people not remember how negative the posts were at game 2's launch? People were viciously attacking any one saying things were going to be fine. They were making all kinds of conspiracy theories.

They were also saying the game was dead, it's dead, it's going to die.

I think your memory is very faulty here. There was some negativity surrounding the game, but it was a very fringe thing. The overall reception was good, and people were by and large playing the game and looking forward to more content.

The cool thing is that we don't have to rely on memory and pull stuff out of our asses, we can just look at the data from back then:

Warhammer 2 Steam reviews over time: immediately in the high positive. Even after ME launched (which roughly corresponds to the second column from the left) and was overall very buggy, the rating was still around 85-90% positive.

WH3 launched to mixed reviews (never went above 60%), and recent reviews are currently sitting at less than 50% positive. I am fairly certain WH3 is currently THE worst rated Total War game on Steam, period. Troy has 71% positive ratings, Thrones of Britannia has 68%.

Steam players at launch for WH2: a peak or roughly 70K people, which remained stationary for over a month, and even when it finally fell down 2-3 months later, it dipped down to roughly 18K players.

That's a 75% loss of players over a months. Not a 90% loss over 1-2 weeks, which is what WH3 experienced (and no, it wasn't just because of Elden Ring, since even after people finally started moving away from ER in large numbers, WH3 players did not go back up at all).
    Any one that says negativity was fringe was not on the forums or Reddit at this time. Hateful thread after hateful thread, the round of temp bans after they announcement of Norsca being broken was pretty high. People swearing they'd quit forever. Endless whining about ME turn times.

And oh boy, the difference of 20% is that make or break. And the ratings mention is after removing nonenglish because many of the Chinese review bombs were prior to the game even launching.
  • Fingolfin_the-GoldenFingolfin_the-Golden Registered Users Posts: 4,703
    edited May 2
    Reeks said:

With monos and the chaos realms in (as some wanted in the community) wh3 was destined to be like this.
    They then doubled down on the realms and made a race that at launch you had to participate in and rifts…rifts…

It’s all the chaos fans faults. 🤗

The Realms of Chaos were hinted to be in the works since game 1, however some people hated the idea of a campaign area where only daemons could go, which is probably why we got the Ursun campaign. WH3 could easily have included the RoC without making them the main focus.

Don´t bother, she have a bone to pick with monogods, no matter the way CA would have included them she would still have made an effort hating on monogods.
    You like the realms of chaos mechanic? Really, the one everyone complained about from day 1?

Each to their own. 🤗
    BEARS, Beets, Battlestar Galactica 🧝‍♀️ Pandas too please CA!
  • OdTengriOdTengri Registered Users Posts: 8,403
    I ain't playing this dumpster fire of a game with its slow as hell patching is finished and the release the Chaos Dwarfs....

So see you next year and F CA.
  • Herr_ArnulfeHerr_Arnulfe Registered Users Posts: 898

You like the realms of chaos mechanic? Really, the one everyone complained about from day 1?

Each to their own. 🤗

Sometimes TW games are more enjoyable when you don't read the forums. :) I enjoyed all of the Chaos Realms the first time through, but I auto resolved two of the final battles. The Tzeentch realm was a bit long but I liked the concept. As mentioned earlier, my favorite RoC moments were pursuing, evading or fighting other LLs in the RoC, not playing the minigames. However the traffic is pretty sparse with only 8 LLs.
  • LunaticprinceLunaticprince Registered Users Posts: 5,800

Each to their own. 🤗

Sometimes TW games are more enjoyable when you don't read the forums. :) I enjoyed all of the Chaos Realms the first time through, but I auto resolved two of the final battles. The Tzeentch realm was a bit long but I liked the concept. As mentioned earlier, my favorite RoC moments were pursuing, evading or fighting other LLs in the RoC, not playing the minigames. However the traffic is pretty sparse with only 8 LLs.
    Yeah I decide honestly take a break from the forum, I think is more enjoyable for me

• AkirooxAkiroox Registered Users Posts: 39
    edited May 2
    People tend to forget that WH3 was developed during a pandemic with a lockdown included. Since the game launched, i never saw someone taking this into consideration. WH3's "special" launch happened because it was developed during a special time. The last 2 WH2 DLC's also took more to release than the previous ones (from an average 3 months to 6-7 months) because of this.

Also, there is more data to add/edit on IE than on ME since you have 2 previous games to add rather than 1. The game might be in a bad state now, but so did WH2, so did Rome 2 and Empire, and by the end of their life cycles became great games. I wonder if all the doom bringers out here will still be around in about 4-5 years from now, commenting the same stuff about WH3.
  • Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,885
    Akiroox said:

People tend to forget that WH3 was developed during a pandemic with a lockdown included. Since the game launched, i never saw someone taking this into consideration. WH3's "special" launch happened because it was developed during a special time. The last 2 WH2 DLC's also took more to release than the previous ones (from an average 3 months to 6-7 months) because of this.

Because its is not worth mentioning. Same as "But poor CA sits in the UK and has to deal with Brexit!"
    Here, listen to the first two minutes

and then tell us again how the Pandemic struck them super hard and should be blamed for the major screw up that is TWW3 so far.

And your DLC timeframes are also off. The only time they went with 3 months for a rival DLC, was when it was purely core races. Every time it was a crossover with a Old World rework, it was roughly 5 months. Maybe a bit more like Warden & Twilight, as well as Silence & Fury. The latter one, as the last DLC, could also just be delayed on purpose. It was announced during Skullthrone, and then there was the whole Ogre Mercenary thing pressed in as well. Twosted & Twilight could also have gotten a extra month of time just to be the de December drop, since December sales are usually crazy good. If you want you can try to pin everything on the Pandemic, but I have serious doubts it would be the main factor here.

-----Red Dox
  • MeraunMeraun Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 32
    Iam not worried, in 12 Months, all will be in the Past, and we will have a great IE Map and 5 Years of DLC's ahead of us
  • MeraunMeraun Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 32
    OdTengri said:

I'm not. IE will release, it'll be poggy woggy awesome, and all will be right with the world.

Funny thing is that Immortal Empires is probably going to release and it wont be till another 6mos after that that the actual Realm of Souls Campaign is in a polished finished state.
    Once IE is her, RoS will be dead.
  • cabans33cabans33 Registered Users Posts: 1,168
    The game will age well.

They tried many new things compared to WH2. Some resulted ok (diplomacy, outposts, demon prince roleplay, new graphics engine, etc) and some not (realms of chaos, towers,etc.)

They will remove the bad and keep the good.

Besides CA cant afford WH3 faliure as:
    - 3k player count is around 8K and is not gonna grow
    - Rome 2 is below 5 K
    -Warhammer 2 is approx 10 k and is not gonna grow

Thats very little for such a big company. They depend on WH3 now as they cancelled 3K for it and they cannot launch 3K second part if they fail with WH3 as their reputation will be destroyed with 2 abandoned games in a row
    cabans33 said:

The game will age well.

They tried many new things compared to WH2. Some resulted ok (diplomacy, outposts, demon prince roleplay, new graphics engine, etc) and some not (realms of chaos, towers,etc.)

- Rome 2 is below 5 K

Thats very little for such a big company. They depend on WH3 now as they cancelled 3K for it and they cannot launch 3K second part if they fail with WH3 as their reputation will be destroyed with 2 abandoned games in a row

Do you really think that they will outright remove the realms of chaos and the tower denfense galore?
    Reeks said:

cabans33 said:

The game will age well.

- Rome 2 is below 5 K

Do you really think that they will outright remove the realms of chaos and the tower denfense galore?
    Not remove but improve to our tastes and eventually make it optional. There are already mods for removing both
  • ITA_Vae_VictisITA_Vae_Victis Senior Member ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 1,987
    Nyxilis said:

Nyxilis said:

I still think people have short memories. Do people not remember how negative the posts were at game 2's launch? People were viciously attacking any one saying things were going to be fine. They were making all kinds of conspiracy theories.

They were also saying the game was dead, it's dead, it's going to die.

I think your memory is very faulty here. There was some negativity surrounding the game, but it was a very fringe thing. The overall reception was good, and people were by and large playing the game and looking forward to more content.

The cool thing is that we don't have to rely on memory and pull stuff out of our asses, we can just look at the data from back then:

Warhammer 2 Steam reviews over time: immediately in the high positive. Even after ME launched (which roughly corresponds to the second column from the left) and was overall very buggy, the rating was still around 85-90% positive.

WH3 launched to mixed reviews (never went above 60%), and recent reviews are currently sitting at less than 50% positive. I am fairly certain WH3 is currently THE worst rated Total War game on Steam, period. Troy has 71% positive ratings, Thrones of Britannia has 68%.

Steam players at launch for WH2: a peak or roughly 70K people, which remained stationary for over a month, and even when it finally fell down 2-3 months later, it dipped down to roughly 18K players.

That's a 75% loss of players over a months. Not a 90% loss over 1-2 weeks, which is what WH3 experienced (and no, it wasn't just because of Elden Ring, since even after people finally started moving away from ER in large numbers, WH3 players did not go back up at all).
    Any one that says negativity was fringe was not on the forums or Reddit at this time. Hateful thread after hateful thread, the round of temp bans after they announcement of Norsca being broken was pretty high. People swearing they'd quit forever. Endless whining about ME turn times.

And oh boy, the difference of 20% is that make or break. And the ratings mention is after removing nonenglish because many of the Chinese review bombs were prior to the game even launching.
    100 people on this forum or 1-2K on Reddit won't make or break the bank for CA when they try to sell DLCs. What people said or say here in and of itself is, at the end of the day, largely irrelevant, if our goal is to understand if the game is going to fail or not.

The problem is that CA needs to sell DLCs to continue produce DLCs (and patches overall). 85-90% positive reviews with several tens of thousands of relatively stable players is a healthy baseline for you to expect to sell certain volumes of DLCs. Barely 10K people dropping like flies over time, as the already bad review score plummets lower and lower, isn't.
    cabans33 said:

Reeks said:

cabans33 said:

The game will age well.

- Rome 2 is below 5 K

Not remove but improve to our tastes and eventually make it optional. There are already mods for removing both
    Yeah alright, i was just about to school you in how much the people behind those horrid design decisions would loathe and fight tooth and nail to avoid having their brainchild outright removed😅
  • PassthechipsPassthechips Registered Users Posts: 573
    Reeks said:

cabans33 said:

The game will age well.

- Rome 2 is below 5 K

Realms of Chaos I doubt will get meaningful changes, but who knows?

Tower Defense though actually has a mixed following and it really depends on who you ask whether they like it or not. I’m personally a fan for example. They just need to fix a few issues: infinitely respawning towers being the big one.

So I wouldn’t hold your breath on either, and just use mods to tailor the experience to your fancy.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 19,530
    It’s nice to see that people think that the pandemic didn’t affect CA or impact particular projects. Glad to hear CA was in the minority of organisations not affected.
    Reeks said:

cabans33 said:

Reeks said:

cabans33 said:

The game will age well.

- Rome 2 is below 5 K

Yeah alright, i was just about to school you in how much the people behind those horrid design decisions would loathe and fight tooth and nail to avoid having their brainchild outright removed😅
    Yes you are right, I hope they listen now because they can't afford a second game faliure after 3K. Who will buy 3K second part if WH3 is a faliure?
  • xDEMOSxxDEMOSx Registered Users Posts: 1,155
    Oh yes poor CA has to deal with the wicked evil brexit and even had to develop remotely from their homes in the pandemic, yes poor them.

This surely explains why all releases are **** since Roma2, it's been 10 years, don't blame it on events that every industry had kid, most studios went over it without doing what CA did with WH3.

The problem is simple: project management and decision making.
    You can be sure that without brexit and without covid and without any impediment, the next major release will be released in the same way as 3K, WH2/3.