Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Looking for a team to create a new mod

AstekyAsteky PortugalRegistered Users Posts: 8
Hello there. I won't take much of your time so I'll just go directly to it. I've been considering creating a mod for Medieval 2 Total War and I've even started myself but unfortunately I'm still pretty new to the whole modding scene and I want to find a team of more experienced modders to help me on this process. My idea is to create something like Third Age, although probably not as detailed and complete. The mod wouldn't be about LOTR though, it would be about Runeterra (the universe characters of the game League of Legends are from) which I believe to be a very interesting universe and with a lot of potencial to be used for a mod. Please let me know if you are interested in joining this project. Thank you for your time. Have a great day.

Contact me here:

[email protected]

Comments

• FritzvomWaldFritzvomWald Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 141
    I am not modding actively anymore - but you may want to consider using my basic mod set up to get going:

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?352216
    author.png
  • AstekyAsteky PortugalRegistered Users Posts: 8

I am not modding actively anymore - but you may want to consider using my basic mod set up to get going:

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?352216

Thank you, I have actually used Geomod since i started as it is an incredible tool for anyone who is starting and it has helped me a lot. Also I'd like to ask you if you know anyone who would be interested in review/correcting/making the files for the campaign strat map as I've attempted to do them myself but I'm not proficient at it and I believe I've made mistakes that I cannot find.
    edited May 21
    Describe your issue in detail here and provide an error log if possible - I'll have a look at it. The log for BG is the same as for the main game, you'll find it in the game's root folder. Please compress it before uploading somewhere.

7ZIP is freeware, in case you need an app.
    author.png
    So I'm still using the vanilla map files as I'm testing units and buildings. I currently fully changed the export_descr_unit and export_descr_buildings along with some changings in descr_strat. In descr_start I fully removed all units and most buildings besides the ones needed. I left only generals and I changed their bodyguard to my equivalent of it. As soon as I open the game, I get the usual loading screen, it loads for like 3 seconds and then the game crashes. I'm very confused to what makes this happen.
    edited May 25
    Looks like my response is getting auto moderated because of the log entry lines, it's got to do with your EDU.

Line 412, the stat_mental line's value\entry
    author.png
    After a quick look I fixed it. I have also been fixing several other mistakes I had in the EDU and apparently that one file is fine. Now my problem is in EDB. The log says it "Expected 'requires' or nothing." but the requires is already there. i will leave the logs along with the EDB here.
    Seems to be a EDU issue, see at the end of the log:

12:41:58.774 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Bare_Geomod/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 412, column 22
    Stat_mental parameter '

all the way down to this:

attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, hardy, can_withdraw, can_formed ³W`A
    12:41:58.774 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : error reading record from file mods/Bare_Geomod/data/export_descr_unit.txt.

It's either at line 412 with the stat_mental entry or all the way down at the 'attributes' line of the Frost Guard Cavalry,
    author.png
    edited May 26
    You are using a comma instead of a full stop in that (and all other) line: 1 0,25 2 0

Should be: 1 0.25 2 0

Should be easy to fix with a 'search\replace' action.

Note: decimals never use commas - always a full stop. In this case the game stopped reading at the comma and hence the 'requires' missing message.

A comma is used to separate entries, like you see in descr_strat
    Post edited by FritzvomWald on
    author.png
    edited May 26
    I did not know about that, I have now corrected it in full. I tried to launch the game after that but it still crashed. I do not know why as I have not changed anything besides what was needed. I'll leave the logs here once again.

Another problem I've found was that when I tried to add a new building, the game ignored it and erased the files i had made for it. Why did that happen?
    I can find this error:
    16:17:20.064 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Bare_Geomod/data/descr_rebel_factions.txt, at line 9, column 21
    rebel unit type 'Peasants' not available to faction type 'gladiator_uprising' (see unit ownership)
    Which means either that unit is completely missing from EDU or it hasn't got ownership for the slave faction. The gladiator_uprising is a leftover from RTW so you might as well use any unit as long as it has slave ownership.

In what directory are those building files (BG, main)? And what files are we talking about EDB, supporting pictures\text?

The log ends with building pictures, but there are no other indications of an error.

It would seem that you edited a lot of stuff in one go without testing - not a wise move if you are not very familiar with what you are doing. Next time edit one thing, test, edit the next thing. The time spend to test will never exceed the time you are spending bug hunting, like just now.
    author.png
    The files were in data/ui/southern_european and they were purely the supporting pictures. I will do as suggested and I'll be changing smaller things. I have been doing that for the past day and I seem to have been able to correct all errors that appeared on the logs. Unfortunately I have found a problem. While I corrected the errors that appeared in the logs, the game would start and crash at the loading screen. Now that everything is fixed, the game launches just fine until i actually try to start a campaign. I enter the faction selection screen and when I click start I'm directed back to the single player mode selection screen. I am very confused to what is causing this. As usual, here are the logs.
    logs.zip 249.4K
    edited May 28
    Moderated again, so in the meantime some tips on how to read the log:

The only lines of importance are those containing [error] - simply use that as search criteria.
    When looking for a crash reason start searching from the bottom up. The last lines of the log (above the event testing section if it exists) can be very informative.
    Try resolving error messages in the log asap - it makes errors less likely and makes bug hunting easier. A non fatal error occasionally leads to a fatal one.

Please wait until my moderated post appears before trying to fix the errors listed in the log - it will give you an idea how to interpret errors.
    author.png
    So it's been almost a month since the last time a post was made here and I'd say it's safe to assume the moderation did not pass through so I'd like to ask you to send the content on that post to the email I left on my first post. I have currently done some soft changes, mostly to units and their recrutment on the campaign and I need to see if they work properly or not.