Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Is AI going to be using Sea Lanes?

andre_b990andre_b990 Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 14
1. Do you thing AI will be using Sea Lanes.
2. Or do you think they wont be, same as "WE AI" not being able to teleport.

Is AI going to be using Sea Lanes? 98 votes

They will be using them
76%
GeneralTSteph_F_DavidLaindeshIchonSerkeletValkaarSusaVileMasariusRonNLMaedrethnirBmnoble981HeroofRome1BrynjolfrCrajohSlipknotMaggotmewade44dodge33cymruMaziskyDragantisArbitraryDwarf 75 votes
They won't
23%
ERU69erSlugusGangstamonkey214OathbearerBiesQinshimisunderstoodvampireXenos77771v0AexraelTheGreatPamphletJohn_KimbleUgandaJimBiniuMarkStu67aMint1epic_159758496946hNeETHlhillbillymachinegunK3KevilinioFingolfin_the-Golden 23 votes

Comments

• ReymReym Registered Users Posts: 738
    They will be using them
    As far as I can remember it was able to do use the equivalent in empire total war so I see no reason for it to not be able to so in a game 13 years younger.
    But is talking about what is appropriate to talk about in this thread appropriate to be talked about in this thread ?

• MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,421
    edited June 23
    They will be using them
    I can't wait to see all those stacks dancing around the map.
    Post edited by Maedrethnir on
  • BaronRodneyBaronRodney Registered Users Posts: 1,173
    They will be using them
    Reym said:

As far as I can remember it was able to do use the equivalent in empire total war so I see no reason for it to not be able to so in a game 13 years younger.

The AI did use them in Empire. The ai was actually quite good at vying to control sea routes. They were disastrous at launching naval invasions though.

I don't think we'll have a problem in IE
  • DTAPPSNZDTAPPSNZ Registered Users Posts: 1,553
    edited June 22
    Man...the community has no faith in CA's programmers if we asking these questions
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 11,670
    They will be using them
    They will be though they will probably not be very good at it and won't be doing it that much either.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
  • MaziskyMazisky Registered Users Posts: 949
    They will be using them
    If the AI can go through rift portals, the same shoudl apply to sea lanes, which are basically still portals
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,493
    If the nonfunctional AI in Empire could use them then, then it can be.
    MarcusLivius: You are indeed a lord of entitlement.
  • LeonArddoggLeonArddogg Registered Users Posts: 68
    They will be using them
    Thought this was unnecessary question but WE AI can't teleport? Man such a shame
  • ConradToskanConradToskan Registered Users Posts: 357

1. Do you thing AI will be using Sea Lanes.
    2. Or do you think they wont be, same as "WE AI" not being able to teleport.

Why is this a poll? They should better be using it... otherwise this would be rather stupid
  • LordCommanderLordCommander Registered Users Posts: 2,843
    They damn well better be. It certainly seems to be the intention but AI intention and actually doing it tend to have a sea lane between them.
    Observe the power of the edgy internet axegrinders and how quickly some have changed their tune- https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/300358/what-would-make-you-buy-the-game/p1

Just as a warning against making predictions- https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/290416/time-to-admit-there-will-be-no-new-dlc-for-twwh-2#latest

• andre_b990andre_b990 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 14
    I placed the term for a reason like that. Its not about do they actualy use it or not only, its on top of that also about: Will they be actualy using them or not.
    In a nut for portals its rather only about the campaign victory goal, that doesent apply here straight up.
    Another question could be also: To what degree they might be going for it or not... and quiet to your subjectional opinion (preference), thats then a will or wont either, at least I "would" say so :)
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 33,140
    They will be using them
    I hope so! I want constant DE invasions when playing Cathay.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • Jman5Jman5 Registered Users Posts: 1,942
    They will be using them
    I should hope so. If they can't that would be a huge issue.
  • ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,006
    They will be using them
    The AI has always struggled with land-sea invasions. The AI was also pretty derpy about theaters in Empire.

But the AI has always the ability!

So the AI will use the lanes.....just not intelligently 😆
  • master_phen_xmaster_phen_x Registered Users Posts: 188
    They will be using them
    Maybe a better question would be : ´´Will AI be programmed to be able to use the sea lanes´´
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 9,780
    They will be using them
    Yes, poorly.
    Glory matters not.

• IchonIchon Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,829
    edited June 22
    They will be using them
    I expect to see DE Black Arks plaguing the coasts of Cathay, especially when human is playing as Cathay.

I also think there will be some Cathayan fleets visiting the Dragon Isles/Southlands occasionally under the AI- that is a long area of coast with mostly Cathay and once Cathay expands by land closer to the Darklands the AI will be sending fleets as well.

Hard to see what will stop Cathay from confederating like the Empire, DE, and the Dwarfs in most campaigns and dominating their region and sending invasions constantly.
    YouTube, it takes over your mind and guides you to strange places like tutorials on how to talk to a giraffe.
  • DTAPPSNZDTAPPSNZ Registered Users Posts: 1,553
    edited June 23
    DTAPPSNZ said:

Man...the community has no faith in CA's programmers if we asking these questions

The no faith was well placed I guess

• DarthEnderXDarthEnderX Registered Users Posts: 3,192
    They will be using them
    Bummer. Basically means that unless there's a DE faction in the Jade Sea, you aren't going to see those DE raids on Cathay unless you do them yourself.
    "Assassination's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it."
  • BiesBies Junior Member SwedenRegistered Users Posts: 5,265
    They won't
    Im putting my money on NO ;)

"I shivered at the sight of her - her beauty far beyond that of mortal man. But her soul glowed with an inner darkness that chilled my very core."

• SusaVileSusaVile Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,230
    They will be using them
    DTAPPSNZ said:

DTAPPSNZ said:

The no faith was well placed I guess

The good side is that they are having a toggle on/off. More of that is so welcome, a customizable experience is such a nice addition to this.
    Always learning, be polite, unless he's the enemy:P
    Cheers
    SusaVile
    Total war youtuber
  • MaziskyMazisky Registered Users Posts: 949
    edited June 23
    They will be using them
    DTAPPSNZ said:

That's one of the most impressive cases of comment thay didn't age well :D

We all believed the Ai could use them and got smashed
  • Steph_F_DavidSteph_F_David Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,175
    They will be using them
    question to ask next time then
    "you said Sea Lane are a toggle. It seems you are going for a more customizable experience with toggable options. Other options you can talk about?"
  • ManpersalManpersal Registered Users Posts: 2,851
    They will be using them

Bummer. Basically means that unless there's a DE faction in the Jade Sea, you aren't going to see those DE raids on Cathay unless you do them yourself.

We already know Lokhir will be around.
  • CrajohCrajoh Member Registered Users Posts: 2,755
    They will be using them
    Reym said:

Yep they did.
    Live your life and try to do no harm.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall
  • Fingolfin_the-GoldenFingolfin_the-Golden Registered Users Posts: 4,865
    They won't
    And they are optional in settings.

Yay!
    BEARS, Beets, Battlestar Galactica 🧝‍♀️ Pandas too please CA!
  • OathbearerOathbearer Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 81
    They won't
    I think it'll be like Lightning Strike.

Technically they can and CA will tell us they can, but we'll almost never, ever see it happen and most of the time the AI will arbitrarily go the long way around.
  • Gangstamonkey214Gangstamonkey214 Member Registered Users Posts: 232
    They won't
    No the AI can't handle the teleport mechanic, but they could in empire. How dissappointing for CA, such a decline in technical skill if an earlier game Empire AI could do it but TWW3 AI cannot. Dark elves wont be invading Cathay unless you do it it seems. CA really didn't care about this game did they, pity the poor devs that do give a **** about it fighting an uphill battle
  • SerkeletSerkelet Member Registered Users Posts: 938
    They will be using them
    ..... eventually, some day.
  • AxiosXiphosAxiosXiphos Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,507
    Still an interesting mechanic; and still relevant in multiplayer campaign.