Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Do you remember Aranessa?

2»

Comments

• davedave1124#4773davedave1124#4773 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 21,396
    The first character I played for VCoast.. good experience.
  • Makuhico#8254Makuhico#8254 Registered Users Posts: 411
    OdTengri said:

Makuhico said:

Some people here thinking they will move Aranesa are just setting themselves up for another Sigval situation.

They will never ever ever ever move DLC characters.

Nope CA makes bad decisions and takes follows through with them to the bitter end.
    They won't move Aranesa, you guys never learn, it doesn't matter if was a bad decision that ship already sail.
  • ladymissfit#8688ladymissfit#8688 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,480
    Remember? She's my wife
    Chaos lords should be women

Army painter plox
  • Tennisgolfboll#5877Tennisgolfboll#5877 Registered Users Posts: 13,316
    Yes
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • Captain_Rex#1635Captain_Rex#1635 Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 37,662
    Arawho?
    Summon the Elector Counts!
  • alpharender33#2889alpharender33#2889 Registered Users Posts: 406
    She is not a mermaid.
  • RikRiorik#9890RikRiorik#9890 Registered Users Posts: 12,090
    I think she was the first I played in the Vortex. It was slightly disappointing that they remove AP from the Sartosa Pirates when they delumberjacked them prior to release.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
  • Hondlis#2158Hondlis#2158 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,594
    Xenos777 said:

Do you remember when Aranessa was revealed as a part of the Vampire Coast DLC? It made very little sense, even less than marked characters not being part of their god's race. At the time, CA told us they couldn't make that a Dreadfleet DLC, which probably meant that GW would have asked more money for an additional license. So they had to make up a character and add a completely unrelated one to fill the pack.

The bottom line is: some decisions aren't driven by gameplay or lore reasons, but by economical-logistical ones. And that's probably the case with this Chaos DLC. But obviously they couldn't tell us the naked truth. A shame, but in the end this is a for-profit endeavor, not an artistic one.

Any decision taken by a company is driven by financial reasons. Same with who goes where. Anybody who disagrees with it is simply beyond stupid.
  • Warlord_Lu_Bu#2268Warlord_Lu_Bu#2268 Registered Users Posts: 3,197
    Nyxilis said:

Itharus said:

Vampire Coast was really the worst and most out of left field possible DLC they could have done.

Everyone: "OMG we're going to see Araby for the first time! EPIC!"

CA: "Hey, let's add Pirates of the not-Caribbean, but vampires instead of zombies! What an awesome twist!"

Well this isn't proper memory at all.

Everyone: "Who could be the next DLC? Araby, Dogs of War, Vampire Coast, Amazons, Albion, some of us whackadoos are even arguing for Kislev in game 2. There is no consensus, and there are people who are saying Vampire Coast, lets personally attack them, tell them they're stupid, and how this can't happen while ignoring those who say they wouldn't mind that."

CA: "Hey, lets add a minor race with figures from the actual game that Araby doesn't even actually have in TT they're on Warmaster. We know pirates and zombie sell, and just like those people on the forum say there are plenty of viable units for. Some of us would still like Araby."

Sane People: "Okay yeah, sure, it was a possible one of the minors. I like/don't like it but it was possible, but I don't make a fuss about not liking Greenskins either right because some people like it?"

Haters: "Why did they use a popular trope from within the game? Screw everyone, this stuff was always bad. Look it was badly received, just going to ignore the fact it sells well and gets play."

Irrational Araby fans:: "I will blame Vampire Coast for not getting Araby, which is probably the actual reason and I will just ignore that zombie pirate fans who are now happy. And make a bunch of sigh worthy threads about it rather than constructive continual wishes that they make Araby."

I don't think I've ever blamed a lack of Araby on the Vampire Coast... nor have I seen that. Our enemy are DoW.... because sacrificing an entire CIVILISATION for a stupid mercenary company is utterly ridiculous.
    "I am the punishment of Tengger, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chinghis Haan Temujin
  • saj1987#4378saj1987#4378 Registered Users Posts: 375
    Ah yes, the LL that gives you regeneration when you deafeat them ... awesome.
    Only at sea LMAO ... awesome.
  • Ekix#9944Ekix#9944 Registered Users Posts: 1,992
    Aranessa was a big error, we lost Vangheist for that loser mutant, even I would have preferred Skreech the rat halfdead over her

new Undead Legion:
    Nagash (unlockable for beating game with Undead Legion)
    The Nameless
    Dieter Helsnicht
    Neferata
    Dread King or Walach Harkon

And also give a quest possibility to other mortachs to access/join some Undead Legion recruiting privileges.

DLCs for VC BLOODLINES:
    /Necrachs:Zacharias, Melkhior, Radu the forsaken /Strigoi:Ushoran, Vorag The Ghoul King, Gashnag The Black Prince, Rametep /Blood Dragon:Red Duke, Abhorash /Lahmia:zNitocris, Ulrika, Naaima

• Nyxilis#3646Nyxilis#3646 Registered Users Posts: 7,651

Nyxilis said:

Itharus said:

Vampire Coast was really the worst and most out of left field possible DLC they could have done.

Everyone: "OMG we're going to see Araby for the first time! EPIC!"

CA: "Hey, let's add Pirates of the not-Caribbean, but vampires instead of zombies! What an awesome twist!"

Well this isn't proper memory at all.

Everyone: "Who could be the next DLC? Araby, Dogs of War, Vampire Coast, Amazons, Albion, some of us whackadoos are even arguing for Kislev in game 2. There is no consensus, and there are people who are saying Vampire Coast, lets personally attack them, tell them they're stupid, and how this can't happen while ignoring those who say they wouldn't mind that."

CA: "Hey, lets add a minor race with figures from the actual game that Araby doesn't even actually have in TT they're on Warmaster. We know pirates and zombie sell, and just like those people on the forum say there are plenty of viable units for. Some of us would still like Araby."

Sane People: "Okay yeah, sure, it was a possible one of the minors. I like/don't like it but it was possible, but I don't make a fuss about not liking Greenskins either right because some people like it?"

Haters: "Why did they use a popular trope from within the game? Screw everyone, this stuff was always bad. Look it was badly received, just going to ignore the fact it sells well and gets play."

Irrational Araby fans:: "I will blame Vampire Coast for not getting Araby, which is probably the actual reason and I will just ignore that zombie pirate fans who are now happy. And make a bunch of sigh worthy threads about it rather than constructive continual wishes that they make Araby."

I don't think I've ever blamed a lack of Araby on the Vampire Coast... nor have I seen that. Our enemy are DoW.... because sacrificing an entire CIVILISATION for a stupid mercenary company is utterly ridiculous.
    Haven't seen it because just not paying attention, particularly when it came out there were plenty. 'better get araby' and afterwards '2nd slot went to vampire coast'.

And don't agree, I very very much want the DoW.
  • 55JoNNo55JoNNo Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    I don't like Vampire Coast in general because I think they always look totally out of place going up against the major powers of the world.

Cathay doesn't have this problem, they make sense, despite also being a "created" race.

Bohemond for game 3 please!

• TattierSpark791TattierSpark791 Registered Users Posts: 2
    Havent played with her or cloystra
  • MODIDDLY1#9212MODIDDLY1#9212 Registered Users Posts: 1,269
    saj1987 said:

Ah yes, the LL that gives you regeneration when you deafeat them ... awesome.
    Only at sea LMAO ... awesome.

Who herself, doesn't have regeneration even when at sea
  • mightygloin#2446mightygloin#2446 Karaz-a-KarakRegistered Users Posts: 6,123
    Even dwarfs recorded her shoddy implementation as a grudge.
  • cavebear56cavebear56 What are you trying to glean?Registered Users Posts: 107
    Ya.

Still haven't played her.

Not that I was against her inclusion in the game but her inclusion into that faction.

Not enough there to be interesting.

Had she a full unique mutant roster then I would have been more interested but then she wouldn't have been in that faction. Ya know, an Undead faction that has no correlation with her character in lore.

It was a waste of a spot and wasted potential. Where could she have fit in? I have no idea. Empire? Some other new human faction maybe?

I guess if they renamed the Vampire Coast faction as "Dreadfleet Lords" or some such but even then she really needed an expanded roster that was different. With maybe the current roster being revered, a few handpicked undead units with the bulk being a mix of human and mutant.
  • Rob18446Rob18446 Registered Users Posts: 2,313
    Still support the theory that Arranessa was originally going to be a vampire but they got cold feet about the fan reaction and returned her to human form, hence the obvious mismatch in theme and the last minute Sartosa Lumberjacks.
  • DatHomieSilverSurfer#4822DatHomieSilverSurfer#4822 Registered Users Posts: 312
    OdTengri said:

Nyxilis said:

OdTengri said:

Nyxilis said:

And I still have qualms on that choice to this day. It's gotten to where I prefer playing Cylostra over her.

Nor did I like that reasoning. Okay, bite the bullet you maties and call it Dreadfleet. Because they did not say the could not make a Dreadfleet DLC but they were making a Vampire Coast DLC and felt if they added another it would just be a Dreadfleet DLC. Maybe that wanted to keep the theme of Vampire Coast and undead but to many of the other Dreadfleet and it might not be truly warranted to be built around undead or they'd have to pay more. But they never said can't, they said they didn't want to do that.

Cylosta isn't bad to play... she's just got a terribly though out back story.
    I love Cylostra's backstory, it reminds me of an article I would have read in White Dwarf back in the early 2000s before a battle write-up
  • davedave1124#4773davedave1124#4773 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 21,396
    I was never surprised by Aranessa, she was unique and wasn't 'just another vampire', I remember a few people mention her and I also wasn't surprised she did not got a totally unique roster.. budgets and all that.
  • Ironhawk97#2562Ironhawk97#2562 Registered Users Posts: 542
    Actually one of my favorites to play on both vortex and ME, made better with mods that add more Sartosan units. Aranessa feels like an underdog character that's just fun and different to play from the more popular demigod-like legendary lords from time to time. My only real complaint is that it takes mods to make her stand out.
  • Mazisky#3267Mazisky#3267 Registered Users Posts: 1,218
    I expect her to get some kind of rework at some point.
  • OdTengri#8235OdTengri#8235 Registered Users Posts: 10,216
    @DatHomieSilverSurfer I'm not opposed to the general character concept... but specifically some elements of it...

1. That she's from Brettonia... a culture that wouldn't support the Opera, it's roughly 900-1200 AD France and there's reasons of economy and social structure that Opera didn't really emerge until 1500-1800's. Sure they call her a "Court Singer" but whatever she's quite obviously an opera singer. She belongs in Tilea or The Empire who's societies are roughly 1500-1800's.

2. Since when was Mannan a great god of Undeath and the Undead?
  • #610044#610044 Registered Users Posts: 791
    Jote191 said:

Aranessa is my favorite Vampire Coast character but she is basically unplayable without mods.

everything is unplayable without mods
  • dvernichondvernichon Registered Users Posts: 178
    Storeslem said:

Jote191 said:

Aranessa is my favorite Vampire Coast character but she is basically unplayable without mods.

Your take.
  • Kannabyss420#5579Kannabyss420#5579 Perth, AustraliaRegistered Users Posts: 93
    Pretty much my same gripe with Arkhan the Black is with Aranessa also. In theory they sound cool, but the implementation of their "uniqueness" is more than a tad boring, which is a shame they have some truly great potential to be a unique experience in their faction. You could probably throw Alberic in the same category also.

Modded Arkhan was pretty freakin cool, but kinda OP, and there have been many ideas thrown about how to fix the hybrid factions, but I feel both these Lords (and once again, maybe Alberic) will do substantially better in IE with the ally mechanic to help them with their theme a bit more. Hopefully they will get a revision somewhere along the line!
    Honour? Death? I will bring to you the honour of Death so you may understand such concepts more clearly!
  • Chronoid#8775Chronoid#8775 Registered Users Posts: 341
    Rob18446 said:

Still support the theory that Arranessa was originally going to be a vampire but they got cold feet about the fan reaction and returned her to human form, hence the obvious mismatch in theme and the last minute Sartosa Lumberjacks.

I agree. There's even an scenario in Dreadfleet which had her receive the blood kiss from Noctilus, so it kinda writes itself.

I mean, a newly-turned Aranessa would absolutely take advantage of Noctilus' defeat to strike out on her own and reafirm her position as the pirate queen and, with her new powers, perhaps something even greater than that.

It would also give a reason for Manann to turn his back on her, giving Stromfels the chance to step in.
  • AxiosXiphos#9040AxiosXiphos#9040 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,523
    Storeslem said:

Jote191 said:

How crazy is it that literally tens of thousands of people play this game every day without mods then...