Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Which historical setting can claim the place to WH3 next?

2»

Comments

• davedave1124#4773davedave1124#4773 Senior Member St Helens UKRegistered Users Posts: 22,082
    Valra said:

Lotor12 said:

WW1 setting would need a "Conpany of Heroes" style tactical battles with small squads, not"Total War" style with big formations

No offense, but I really don't get this line of argument, even though it comes up very often. The core Total War experience to me is turn based strategy on a world map combined with epic real time battles that happen organically due to the actions on the world map. The traditional blocks of soldiers is itself not the core of TW and a more squad-based system would still be a proper Total War, as long as the battles are still on an epic scale. In fact I think something like the battles in Steel Division 2 would be pretty cool and would work well for a modern TW or a 40k game.
    This is true. For one, small tactical squad sizes became popular in WW2 rather than WW1, although larger groups of men did exist on the battlefield. In reference to 40K we have large cluster of men (and whatever) almost taking part in medieval style charges. It's also worth remembering that TW has never been a realistic war sim. CA have also stated they have an interest in looking into more modern battlefields so they obviously think they can do it.
  • FraminkelFraminkel Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 199
    Total War: American Civil War. Because:

Lots of different factions with very different mechanics, diplomatic relations: North, South, undecided, Native Americans, Mexico, Britain, France

Great tech tree: evolving from cavalry charges to almost WWI style combat

Loads of opportunity for corruption: e.g. South spreading conviction of slavery / white supremacy. North doing the same with abolitionism (though also tending towards white supremacy beliefs).

And just like with 3K in China a large customer fan base this time in US.
  • Commisar#2307Commisar#2307 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,178
    Framinkel said:

Total War: American Civil War. Because:

Lots of different factions with very different mechanics, diplomatic relations: North, South, undecided, Native Americans, Mexico, Britain, France

Great tech tree: evolving from cavalry charges to almost WWI style combat

Loads of opportunity for corruption: e.g. South spreading conviction of slavery / white supremacy. North doing the same with abolitionism (though also tending towards white supremacy beliefs).

And just like with 3K in China a large customer fan base this time in US.

Really wouldn't be. North and South are basically the same with a handful of slight variations of existing units due to it being a civil war. Mexico had it's own issues at the time France was helping cause issues in Mexico and didn't have much of a shot at the USA. Britain could with Canada, but still not that overall different to the North/South and would be rather broken due to their global power. Natives similar not a big part of it, they are rather broken off and not raging against the states.
  • FraminkelFraminkel Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 199
    I dont completely disagree with you, but TW is about ‘what ifs’. Eg native americans using opportunity of civil strife to unite (partially) unite. The Brits intervening on behalf of the South, France for the North. There are interesting storylines to create…
  • Commisar#2307Commisar#2307 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,178
    Framinkel said:

I dont completely disagree with you, but TW is about ‘what ifs’. Eg native americans using opportunity of civil strife to unite (partially) unite. The Brits intervening on behalf of the South, France for the North. There are interesting storylines to create…

But at that point forget the US civil war and just do Victoria TW as you're triggering global wars instead for the "what ifs" and that would give some diversity of it.
  • bilbobaggins764bilbobaggins764 Registered Users Posts: 156
    Feudalism total war. 800-1250 Ad.
  • Nortrix87#7474Nortrix87#7474 Senior Member NorwayRegistered Users Posts: 1,002
    Would like some kind of age of discovery. Renaissance. Late medieval-pike and shoot transition. Re-Discovery of the Americas, black death plague etc.

Have not played total war since Thrones of Britannia DLC, but check in once in a while looking for something interesting. That Warhammer universe i find hard to be interested in, same with China. I guess i am more for European-western history except perhaps for the mongols. A Total war focused on the Mongols would be interesting but that map needs to be huge.
    "We men are the monsters now. The time of heroes is dead, Wiglaf - the Christ God has killed it, leaving humankind with nothing but weeping martyrs, fear, and shame."

- Beowulf
  • VikingHuscal1066#5774VikingHuscal1066#5774 Registered Users Posts: 4,431
    There's only 2 real time periods that even have a chance of coming close to what Warhammer 3 will ultimately be.

And they are

An Empire 2 set from 1684 or so to 1812 at the latest, with a ultimately nearly global scale to the campaign.

or

A Total War: Antiquity, that is a TW game that ultimately has campaigns that range from the Rise of Persia to the Fall of Rome.

I know for a fact that almost no other time periods could come close matching what Warhammer 3 will ultimately be able to give players.
  • #224651#224651 Registered Users Posts: 9
    I'd love for them to explore WW1 and 2. There's a lot of mechanics and I trust CA for getting creative with it. Those were the last wars with huge movement of troops.
    I'd be down with a Total War Colonies featuring colonial periods where you could play the colonies pushing back Europe and maybe even going there to make England or France a colony.
    But I wouldn't mind their next project to be Medieval 2 Remaster or even 3 with the new engine and different mechanics. I mean I wouldn't even mind a Shogun 2, or Rome 3, or Empire 2.
  • Heretical_Cactus#7598Heretical_Cactus#7598 Registered Users Posts: 3,035
    WW1 and later conflicts don't work under the same battle system. There was no fighting in Squares, or in lines or such.

So it would need a full new system

Much rather see a TW Grand Mythology or LotR and get another type of strategy game as ww1
  • VikingHuscal1066#5774VikingHuscal1066#5774 Registered Users Posts: 4,431

WW1 and later conflicts don't work under the same battle system. There was no fighting in Squares, or in lines or such.

So it would need a full new system

Much rather see a TW Grand Mythology or LotR and get another type of strategy game as ww1

The idea of a Grand Mythology would be pretty awesome, with the different pantheons waging war against each other.