Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Which option for Grand Cathay DLC would be best?

Comments

• Heretical_Cactus#7598Heretical_Cactus#7598 Registered Users Posts: 3,154
    Option 2
    Halfwic said:

3 dragon, 1 monkey 4-pack.

No more 4pack, 4pack bad
    The 4pack work (could have worked better) because it basically is supposed to be 4 different races (Which they put in one)

And the LL have a somewhat antagonistic campaign, but if we had such with only Cathay it would further isolate the Cathay campaign instead of opening it up
  • Captain_Rex#1635Captain_Rex#1635 Registered Users Posts: 39,491

OdTengri said:

ArneSo said:

OdTengri said:

ArneSo said:

OdTengri said:

OdTengri said:

ArneSo said:

OdTengri said:

Monkey people are confirmed from Ind

Monkey King is "Hanuman" and one of the 2 starting lords for Ind.

You really wanna farm those disagrees eh?

He is a Cathay LL. His start position will be the MoH.
    No he's not... he's of an Unknown Origin and he usurped the Rule of Cathay... that doesn't make him Cathayan.
    This is contrary to what the game says and to what CA staff have said in interviews.

It's very clear he is Cathayan in nature.
    No its not... just look at CA's blog on the Issue... they say the Monky King invaded from the south. He didn't lead a revolt or rebellion he invaded from what we can only presume was another nation to the south.

I think all this "he's Cathayan nonsense" is just powerful head canon left unchecked.

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-warhammer-3-grand-cathay-lore/
    He is a Cathay character. This isn’t up for debate. Your Head Canon doesn’t matter.
    So your saying that the Monky King is Cathayan according to CA

But Monkey Warriors are from Ind according to GW.

Seems odd that they wouldn't go together.

His Realm is north of Ind in the MoH. That’s correct.

But he is a Cathay character. This is confirmed by GW and CA.

End of discussion.
    Got a source for that?
    This video, methinks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr-waUnCZ7g

If I'm not-right, then it is still worth listening to!
    Yap at 0:40 Andy confirms it.
    Summon the Elector Counts!
    The Monkey King resides in the Mountains of Heaven which are officially ruled over by Li Dau even if he has no authority there.

He often has to use Monkey Warriors in his armies to defend the Southern Provinces against Ind and the Naga.

So yeah… debate closed.
  • talonn#7575talonn#7575 Registered Users Posts: 3,076
    Monkey King should be based on wukong, not hanuman. Because wukong is way more popular

talonn said:

Monkey King should be based on wukong, not hanuman. Because wukong is way more popular

He is based on Wukong as and not on Hanuman.

Andy also confirmed that he is to Cathay what Arkhan is to the TK.

In very old old old lore that was different tho. There he was stated to live in an island south of Ind. All that stuff is ancient RPG lore of course and retconned.
    edited August 2022
    @OdTengri so did you watch the interview now?

I hope we don’t have to go through this tedious discussion again. 😉

It’s important that everyone is on the same page about the new lore.
  • MrDragon#2461MrDragon#2461 Registered Users Posts: 3,545
    Why a 4 pack?
    I see neither option as particularly likely or appealing.

The Warriors 4pack seems just to be a way to make the warriors what they always should have been: more like 6th edition Hordes of Chaos. With a limited pool of daemons mixed in and marks and a way to strongly encourage armies to be mono-marked. Unlike 6th it's a little more flexible, with the authority system being a cooler more flavourful way to still allow some limited mixing.

I do not forsee any other faction also getting a 4pack unless they just go "fahk it! lets do all the vampire bloodlines in a single pack." to drop a Strigoi, Lahmian, Necrarch and Blood Dragon. Even that is unlikely.
    MrDragon said:

Why a 4 pack?

The Warriors 4pack seems just to be a way to make the warriors what they always should have been: more like 6th edition Hordes of Chaos. With a limited pool of daemons mixed in and marks and a way to strongly encourage armies to be mono-marked. Unlike 6th it's a little more flexible, with the authority system being a cooler more flavourful way to still allow some limited mixing.

I do not forsee any other faction also getting a 4pack unless they just go "fahk it! lets do all the vampire bloodlines in a single pack." to drop a Strigoi, Lahmian, Necrarch and Blood Dragon. Even that is unlikely.

The only ones I could see getting a 4Pack are VC, BM and GS. But even that is far from likely and I wouldn’t be surprised if we’ll never see such a DLC again.
  • Djau#5149Djau#5149 Registered Users Posts: 12,363
    MrDragon said:

Why a 4 pack?

The only advantage, if it came with unique units and mechanics for lords, would be that you could finish Kislev and Grand Cathay off in a single DLC (if each got a Four-LL Lord Pack).

• davedave1124#4773davedave1124#4773 Registered Users Posts: 22,807
    MrDragon said:

Why a 4 pack?

A 4 pack would be a terrible idea for Cathay. Each separate lord pack could bring a single fleshed out LL, with a clear narrative that matches the lord, mechanics and units.

Let’s flesh out each part of the Cathayan Empire one lord pack at a time.
  • AHumpierRogue#5296AHumpierRogue#5296 Registered Users Posts: 5,595
    4 LL pack would suck. The Lords should both be more unique and have better units on offer. Also I don't like you not mentioning Yuan Bo OP.
    Formerly known as Krunch, in case you wonder where he went.
  • Djau#5149Djau#5149 Registered Users Posts: 12,363

MrDragon said:

Why a 4 pack?

A 4 pack would be a terrible idea for Cathay. Each separate lord pack could bring a single fleshed out LL, with a clear narrative that matches the lord, mechanics and units.

I don't think we can fully judge 4 LL Lord Packs yet. The problem that Champions of Chaos had is that the WoC Rework, Blood DLC AND Immortal Empires was being developed at the same time. That probably impacted on the quality of the DLC.

A 4 LL Grand Cathay pack post-Immortal Empires release would likely have unique mechanics for its Lords and new units similar to a traditional lord pack, but in larger numbers.

We need to see a 4 LL pack after Immortal Empires comes out to really judge if the format restricts the uniqueness versus a standard lord pack.

Djau said:

MrDragon said:

Why a 4 pack?

I don't think we can fully judge 4 LL Lord Packs yet. The problem that Champions of Chaos had is that the WoC Rework, Blood DLC AND Immortal Empires was being developed at the same time. That probably impacted on the quality of the DLC.

A 4 LL Grand Cathay pack post-Immortal Empires release would likely have unique mechanics for its Lords and new units similar to a traditional lord pack, but in larger numbers.

We need to see a 4 LL pack after Immortal Empires comes out to really judge if the format restricts the uniqueness versus a standard lord pack.
    A 4 pack of just Cathay would be awful compared to 3 DLCs and a FLC. Each single lord pack would bring solid units in their own right with possibly extra FLC mechanics for the race as a whole and specific mechanics for each lord.

I can’t see a 4 pack allowing many new units, mechanics or content in general compared to separate DLC. There’s nothing being said that would change my mind on this.
    Option 2
    Djau said:

MrDragon said:

Why a 4 pack?

The only advantage, if it came with unique units and mechanics for lords, would be that you could finish Kislev and Grand Cathay off in a single DLC (if each got a Four-LL Lord Pack).
    How is finishing them in a single pack an advantage, for either CA or the player base ?
  • Rheingold#6691Rheingold#6691 Registered Users Posts: 1,631
    I still hope that we only get one more dragon lord, they will all be pretty much the same. Some variety would be nice. I like the alchemists so an alchemist LL, a monk like LL (not unarmed) with a staff or glaive and the Monkey King would work for me. Be cool and different to having 5 dragon lords that all look and play the same. I like the 2 we have already, I'd just prefer other options instead of doubling up. But I'd imagine that it won't happen, which is a pity.
    Rheingold said:

I still hope that we only get one more dragon lord, they will all be pretty much the same. Some variety would be nice. I like the alchemists so an alchemist LL, a monk like LL (not unarmed) with a staff or glaive and the Monkey King would work for me. Be cool and different to having 5 dragon lords that all look and play the same. I like the 2 we have already, I'd just prefer other options instead of doubling up. But I'd imagine that it won't happen, which is a pity.

Not gonna happen. We already know that all the 3 missing Siblings are coming.

They obviously will be very different just like Miao and Zhao are very different.
  • Lunaticprince#9972Lunaticprince#9972 Registered Users Posts: 7,130
    edited August 2022

Djau said:

MrDragon said:

Why a 4 pack?

A 4 pack of just Cathay would be awful compared to 3 DLCs and a FLC. Each single lord pack would bring solid units in their own right with possibly extra FLC mechanics for the race as a whole and specific mechanics for each lord.

I can’t see a 4 pack allowing many new units, mechanics or content in general compared to separate DLC. There’s nothing being said that would change my mind on this.
    Again we know at least the chaos warshrine Was possible with four completely animated lord.

We also! Again not dismiss what work loading ca have.

Is a special circumstanced

Because I wouldn't rule them out just yet just because the first try Was such a...

Let say optimal.

I mean lp and crossover startet smole too

• Rheingold#6691Rheingold#6691 Registered Users Posts: 1,631
    ArneSo said:

Rheingold said:

They obviously will be very different just like Miao and Zhao are very different.
    They are not different at all. I like them it must be said, but the thought of 3 others exactly the same doesn't thrill me at all.
  • Beast_of_Guanyin#8747Beast_of_Guanyin#8747 Registered Users Posts: 41,369
    Rheingold said:

ArneSo said:

Rheingold said:

They are not different at all. I like them it must be said, but the thought of 3 others exactly the same doesn't thrill me at all.
    Doesn't thrill me either frankly.
    I am The Beast of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Drybrush Disciple, Sophisticated Savage.
    Option 2
    ArneSo said:

Rheingold said:

Miao and Zhao don't really feel that differnt from one another.

To be honest, they should have kept Storm Dragon/Wall as a dlc/flc option, with a much more expansive Bastion Mechanic

And have the Jade (Central Province) as replacement as the Caster focused lord, while Metal (while still a caster) would become a melee powerhouse
    Rheingold said:

ArneSo said:

Rheingold said:

They are very very different since you can only cast spells in the human form.
    Option 2
    ArneSo said:

Rheingold said:

ArneSo said:

Rheingold said:

Isn't that true for both ? Like they aren't unique since both have the same limitation ?
    arthadaw said:

ArneSo said:

Rheingold said:

ArneSo said:

Rheingold said:

Isn't that true for both ? Like they aren't unique since both have the same limitation ?
    Yes that’s what makes them different.
  • OdTengri#8235OdTengri#8235 Registered Users Posts: 10,231
    ArneSo said:

The Monkey King resides in the Mountains of Heaven which are officially ruled over by Li Dau even if he has no authority there.

He often has to use Monkey Warriors in his armies to defend the Southern Provinces against Ind and the Naga.

So yeah… debate closed.

In that Intervew he says the Mounatins of Heaven are Part in Cathay and Part in Ind, still seems your right.

Still think that's a bad direction to go, giving everything in the orient to Cathay is kinda dumb... but CA and GW seem committed to doing it.
    OdTengri said:

ArneSo said:

So yeah… debate closed.

In that Intervew he says the Mounatins of Heaven are Part in Cathay and Part in Ind, still seems your right.

Still think that's a bad direction to go, giving everything in the orient to Cathay is kinda dumb... but CA and GW seem committed to doing it.
    The MoH are a melting point between Cathay. So Monkey Warriors are mainly from Cathay but also stretch into Ind.

Tigermen are mainly from Ind but also migrated to southern Cathay.

But considering that Ind likely (unfortunately) isn’t happening anyways, this makes the most sense.

But if GW expands Ind in the future, I’m sure it will it’s own very interesting twists and lore.
    Option 2
    ArneSo said:

arthadaw said:

ArneSo said:

Rheingold said:

ArneSo said:

Rheingold said:

I'm not sure I have the same definition of different.

Like both can turn to Dragon (Of the same ish form)

Both can only use spell in human form

The only difference is that they use different winds (Azyr and Chamon ?)
    edited August 2022
    arthadaw said:

ArneSo said:

arthadaw said:

ArneSo said:

Rheingold said:

ArneSo said:

Rheingold said:

Alarielle, Teclis & Eltharion.

All are Elves. All are Casters. All have flying mounts. Yet they are all completely different and distinctive.

Djau said:

MrDragon said:

Why a 4 pack?

Again we know at least the chaos warshrine Was possible with four completely animated lord.

We also! Again not dismiss what work loading ca have.

Is a special circumstanced

Because I wouldn't rule them out just yet just because the first try Was such a...

Let say optimal.

I mean lp and crossover startet smole too
    The fact that the Warshrine x 4 mild changes appeared in this DLC does not give me even0.1% confidence that a 4 Lord Pack would do Cathay any favours, in fact, quite the opposite.
  • OdTengri#8235OdTengri#8235 Registered Users Posts: 10,231
    ArneSo said:

OdTengri said:

ArneSo said:

So yeah… debate closed.

The MoH are a melting point between Cathay. So Monkey Warriors are mainly from Cathay but also stretch into Ind.

Tigermen are mainly from Ind but also migrated to southern Cathay.

But considering that Ind likely (unfortunately) isn’t happening anyways, this makes the most sense.

But if GW expands Ind in the future, I’m sure it will it’s own very interesting twists and lore.
    Might even ret coned the lore as time goes on. If they don't plan on adding Ind...but we get both Monkey and Tigermen snuck into the roster than Modders will build Ind from scratch anyways.
    Option 2
    ArneSo said:

arthadaw said:

ArneSo said:

arthadaw said:

ArneSo said:

Rheingold said:

ArneSo said:

Rheingold said:

Alarielle, Teclis & Eltharion.

All are Elves. All are Casters. All have flying mounts. Yet they are all completely different and distinctive.
    But they have lore to back them up, lore which make people liek them.

For the Dragon Children, they sadly do not have such lore to back them up.