Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Bretonnia is being left behind

mgsanm#2560mgsanm#2560 SpainRegistered Users Posts: 10
For what I can see online it seems that Bretonnia needs some serious buffs to stay competitive... Both to campaign and battle!

- Bret war horses should be faster than Empire's. The recent speed update should be applied to Bretonnia as well.
- The Blessing of the Lady should be a Save Ward like in TT, not a physical resistance. It is supposed to help against all unholy and now even Grave Guard has magical attacks!
- Alberic needs to take out any forest/jungle penalties to his army.
- Bretonnian Lord's blue is outmatched by almost any other faction.
- Slaanesh daemon cav is just too OP. Grail knights should be able to compete with those daemonettes toe to toe but right now they are just kids vs grown ups.

Comments

• lcmiracle#6727lcmiracle#6727 Registered Users Posts: 1,013
    You know, a 4+ Ward Save is funtionally the same as regenration in TT, excepting it is not cancelled by flaming attack. One can use only a ward save or regeneration so provided the unit has a regen (5+) and a 5+ ward save, one would always use the ward save instead.

So the ward save was there to represent the magical properities of the Knights themselves in a streamlined way (so as not to confer a dozen special rules to one unit, that'd be difficult to keep track of in a tabletop wargame). In a video game this doesn't have to be the case -- the unit can have both regen and ward save, or better ward save. It can have
    IMO the Grail Knights (and companions, and the Grail Vow) should give better bonuses to the unit. And yes, their attack damage should be higher than the Reiksguards' (I figure in TWWII the Grail Knights had lower total damage due to higher AP damage, but they are supposed to be superhuman.
    But I like faster cavalry in general, while it's wrong that Empire heavy cavalry is faster that Bretonnian heavy cav, IMO the solution should be to keep the Empire cav where they are, and increase the speed of Bretonnian cavalry.
  • Stephince#6150Stephince#6150 Registered Users Posts: 3,300
    I'm sure everyone will be balanced, tweaked etc in time. They will be prioritising major races that get most of the play time.
  • Biggles#4266Biggles#4266 Registered Users Posts: 3,078
    Louis is still going to be an early campaign for me though. Buffs are needed though especially for Al having to take on all the SEMs he'll have to fight.
  • Maedrethnir#1968Maedrethnir#1968 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 17,218
    Bretonnia should get a big LP and even bigger update, it's as clear as day to me. What other race has a LL that has no unque voicelines or model.

Bretonnia should get a big LP and even bigger update, it's as clear as day to me. What other race has a LL that has no unque voicelines or model.

While I have the chance I just wanted to agree with you.
  • Krabbz#7495Krabbz#7495 FranceRegistered Users Posts: 591
    edited August 19
    When the cavalry faction doesn’t even have the best cavalry (by far) there is a problem.

Their infantry sucks (righfully so), their artillery sucks, their magic is okay at best and their cavalry is outclassed by many factions.

When you look at their roster, Bretonia should have a damn powerful cav.

Grail Knights in particular need a huge buff.
  • MODIDDLY1#9212MODIDDLY1#9212 Registered Users Posts: 1,268
    edited August 19

Yeah I think Alberic might have Throgg beat for worst lord, though it's close. No unique model and voicelines, or poorly implemented model with completely wrong voicelines?

I don't know what lord should be added. I like Bertrand adding some brigand and bandit units but I know a lot of people probably want a more "Brettonian" themed knight lord.
  • IndefatigableIndefatigable Registered Users Posts: 511
    Maybe they need different horses. CA have abandoned the little ponies that the Tzeentch cavalry had - they could use those.

#justicefortzeentch #bringbackthelittleblueponies
  • Mr_Finley7#4571Mr_Finley7#4571 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,415
    GW abandoned Brettonia a long time ago
  • SaintCorn#3148SaintCorn#3148 Registered Users Posts: 2,856

This, I was about to say, What's new about Brettonia being left behind? CA is just continuing GW's bad tradition.

• BillybabelBillybabel Registered Users Posts: 774

they're already being brought back in TOW
  • LordCommander#3741LordCommander#3741 Registered Users Posts: 3,218

they're already being brought back in TOW

Cool, they can be left behind all over again.
    It's a beta.
  • Earlybird#2907Earlybird#2907 Registered Users Posts: 1,147
    Bretonnia was a mistake from GW
    They cornered them in a very small setting : knights and peasants hating monsters
  • GeorgeTruman#8059GeorgeTruman#8059 Registered Users Posts: 645
    I just played a WH2 Bretonnia campaign and they were strong as hell.

I would love to see them get more but I definitely don't think they're getting left behind. Their cav was already strong enough in WH2 and in WH3 it will perform even better.

I would love to see them get more but I definitely don't think they're getting left behind. Their cav was already strong enough in WH2 and in WH3 it will perform even better.

It'll be a lot tougher with Alberic replaced by Grom.
  • GeorgeTruman#8059GeorgeTruman#8059 Registered Users Posts: 645

It'll be a lot tougher with Alberic replaced by Grom.
    Getting Groms trait is great for Bretonnia as it will help you get trade with the helfs.
  • Nico_NI#4726Nico_NI#4726 Registered Users Posts: 468
    Stephince said:

I'm sure everyone will be balanced, tweaked etc in time. They will be prioritising major races that get most of the play time.

This is what I hope for, all races should be brought up to date with WH3, balance changes where made when WH2 came, so I believe the same will happen for this game.
  • afverrall#1754afverrall#1754 Registered Users Posts: 1,310
    I agree they should get the kislev treatment and brought fully in line with other factions instead of being an add onn
  • saweendra#3399saweendra#3399 Registered Users Posts: 19,327
    edited August 19
    sad but true

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

• GoblinDoomStackGoblinDoomStack Registered Users Posts: 314
    ArneSo said:

Grail Knights should work like a mounted version of Aspiring Champions.

Change my mind.

I can’t, you’re right
    Krabbz said:

When the cavalry faction doesn’t even have the best cavalry (by far) there is a problem.

Their infantry sucks (righfully so), their artillery sucks, their magic is okay at best and their cavalry is outclassed by many factions.

When you look at their roster, Bretonia should have a damn powerful cav.

Grail Knights in particular need a huge buff.

the issue is Grail knights are limited by the mount , and the ancient rules that tied them to be like this .

there not weak when you compare it to other units in the same bracket like Dragon princes, Blood knights , chaos knights various flavor, heat seekers

But the issue is Monstours cav class completly out class them in every possible way

Demis , Bears, jagurnets, Mornfangs, Rhinox,..etc.

and bretonnias versions in this baracket are not the best in terms of cavalry dominance but there good in other aspects.

• RazeAndBurnRazeAndBurn Registered Users Posts: 475
    Did you pay for Bretonnia? Then why should the devs bother?
  • LordCommander#3741LordCommander#3741 Registered Users Posts: 3,218

Did you pay for Bretonnia? Then why should the devs bother?

For the same reason they added Repanse as an FLC lord.
    It's a beta.
  • eomat#7953eomat#7953 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,897
    Stephince said:

The only problem with that line of thinking is that some factions will be played less due to the state they are in. Eg Bretonnia.
  • Tennisgolfboll#5877Tennisgolfboll#5877 Registered Users Posts: 13,302
    edited August 19
    ArneSo said:

Grail Knights should work like a mounted version of Aspiring Champions.

Change my mind.

That wont work because uhhh

And also it isnt feasible due to something else

Id love to see Bretonnia get some long needed attention.
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • Itharus#3127Itharus#3127 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,396
    Grail Knights should frankly be the best non-monstrous cavalry.
    Itharus said:

Grail Knights should frankly be the best non-monstrous cavalry.

they kind are its just the category of Monstours cav is better than regular cav

• RikRiorik#9890RikRiorik#9890 Registered Users Posts: 12,089
    A crossover LP and a look at their ”update”. Yeah I could dig that. A shame Bretonnia wasn’t just made slightly bigger too. Another two or three settlements wouldn’t have gone amiss.

Hopefully in time. Until then they are still worth returning to in campaign and if one doesn’t think so there are loooads of other races to play in the meantime.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
  • Puggly_the_GreyPuggly_the_Grey U.S.Registered Users Posts: 92
    Well, CA is trying to stay true to tabletop.

All joking aside, it would be nice to see Bretonnia get just a tiny bit more love.
    CA should add Hotseat mode.