Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Immortal Empires Multiplayer Co-Op Lag

Snuffles1709Snuffles1709 Registered Users Posts: 1
Hoping to get some help with a bug we seem to be having with 3 player co-op.

Whenever we launch the multiplayer campaign there appears to be some rather notable input lag, the UI responds quickly but actually accomplishing anything in the game is near impossible, units seem to move in near slow-motion and freeze on the overworld map, and battle maps suffer from so much slowdown and input lag the battles are downright unplayable even on max speed.

I've attached my log and DXdiag file, it's also worth noting that I have tried this on both simultaneous and non-simultaneous turns and it still has the same issue, we also tried multiple people hosting.

Thanks!

Comments

• steam_16451251708495PaFhtsteam_16451251708495PaFht Registered Users Posts: 2
    Eyup experiencing similar issues here with my friend. Especially if one of us uses a spell in a battle, which turns the entire battle into slow mo until it's finished
  • ZiggariusZiggarius Registered Users Posts: 9
    I posted this elsewhere, but a potential fix. Steam by default will "relay" peer-to-peer traffic to avoid releasing your public IP address.

Go to your Steam -> Settings -> In-Game -> Steam Networking
    Change it to "Friends Only" presuming you're playing with friends, you could go to "Always" but that opens up some risk.

here is the steam article page about it. https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/1433-AD20-F11D-B71E

What about games that use Steam Networking APIs?
    If a game uses our newest networking APIs (ISteamNetworkingSockets and ISteamNetworkingMessages), the traffic can be relayed using Steam Datagram Relay (SDR), Valve's worldwide backbone and network of relays, and you can decide when to allow an app to share your IP address. Under Steam / Settings / In-Game / Steam Networking, there is an option that controls when your IP address is revealed:

Never
    . Never share your IP with any player. Always relay peer-to-peer traffic.
    Always
    . Always allow the app to share your IP with any player. If the other player also shares their IP address, a direct connection may be established. If not, it will be relayed.
    . This will not share your IP address, unless it appears necessary to avoid excessive ping times.
    Friends Only
    . Share your IP only with users in your Friends List.
  • steam_1645079660357WcYGs4steam_1645079660357WcYGs4 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Ziggarius said:

I posted this elsewhere, but a potential fix. Steam by default will "relay" peer-to-peer traffic to avoid releasing your public IP address.

Change it to "Friends Only" presuming you're playing with friends, you could go to "Always" but that opens up some risk.

here is the steam article page about it. https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/1433-AD20-F11D-B71E

If a game uses our newest networking APIs (ISteamNetworkingSockets and ISteamNetworkingMessages), the traffic can be relayed using Steam Datagram Relay (SDR), Valve's worldwide backbone and network of relays, and you can decide when to allow an app to share your IP address. Under Steam / Settings / In-Game / Steam Networking, there is an option that controls when your IP address is revealed:

Never
    Always
    . Always allow the app to share your IP with any player. If the other player also shares their IP address, a direct connection may be established. If not, it will be relayed.
    . This will not share your IP address, unless it appears necessary to avoid excessive ping times.
    Friends Only

My man. Or woman. Whatever.

I could literally grab you by the cheeks and KISS you right now.

All day I've been hunting down the culprit of this damned bug, and all day, I've been failing. I was on the verge of giving up when I saw this thread, and the others, updated with a post.

This, out of the dozens of solutions I've tried, is the only thing that worked. It was so damn simple, too.

I'm just confused as to why this is effecting some but not others. This is a default setting, no?

Whatever the reason, this makes both battles and campaigns playable. It ain't perfect, and it ain't as smooth as Warhammer 2's co-op campaigns, but this is a good start.
  • ZiggariusZiggarius Registered Users Posts: 9
    Why it would effect some and not others has to do with Internet architecture.

Day 1 my group had no significant issues, but later on we had massive issues.

Basically there is a problematic node that the internet crosses, likely within Steam's SDR, that got overloaded and thus all packets traveling through it ran into issues. It wouldn't effect everyone equally as they may or may not run through an overloaded node, and "Default" means that if the Steam SDR detects that you might have significant delays relaying, then it will choose to share your Public IP. So in some cases, it might not go through the Steam SDR and other cases it will go through the Steam SDR even though it would be worse to do so trying to protect you.
  • Calamarc#2055Calamarc#2055 Registered Users Posts: 2
    edited September 18
    Ziggarius said:

Never
    Always
    Friends Only

Is it enough if only I change my settings since I am the one hosting the campaign for my friends.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file