Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The next project for the fantasy team after Warhammer 3

Kyler_883#1990Kyler_883#1990 Registered Users Posts: 379
edited August 2022 in Total War General Chat
Given this is the last game now of the trilogy, and the handling of the game is soon to be given over to the dlc team while the main team moves on if it has not been already.

What would you like to see next? What fantasy or science fiction setting would you like to see explored next?

I feel like everyone will say LOTR. Especially given the much beloved mods for it in medieval 2.

But there is other directions to go. Like diving into warhammer 40k, or even game of thrones. Honestly though mentioning game of thrones sends a shiver down my spine personally because it just makes me remember season 7 and 8. But for a total war setting idk if it is a good idea. Apart from the white walkers it's just humans Vs humans which for a fantasy game could be potentially boring in comparison to others on the table like LOTR and Warhammer.

40k would be cool, but it would definitely be VERY different from any total war we've ever played. Given the mass gun scale combat that's more modern style combat than Empires gun combat. Which was similar to the way total war has been.

Maybe even options that aren't so mainstream could be on the table hence why I didn't make this a poll discussion.

Where could we go from here? What would you like to see?

Comments

• Mkall#7592Mkall#7592 Registered Users Posts: 59
    I truly think we'll be getting a The Old World version of this whenever that game is released by GW. I also think that Age of Sigmar is ready to be TotalWar'd.
  • Commisar#2307Commisar#2307 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,178
    We can't really say, I don't think it would be 40K with how that world works in comparison to TW, I don't see it being a setting like LotR as it's too similar to WHF and too expensive. I'd expect it to be a very different setting to try and stop it being compared to the WHF games which with 3 games and how many DLCs it would struggle.

I wouldn't be shocked if they went with a Japanese, Chinese or Korean fantasy setting. They are large markets and they did get the best selling TW to date with 3K.
  • Heretical_Cactus#7598Heretical_Cactus#7598 Registered Users Posts: 3,035
    It depend on what they want to do a bit smaller:

- LotR (J. R. R. Tolkien): 1 or 2 game, less magic, less factions/races but much deeper story/diplomacy (So Half Warhammer, half 3K)
    - Dinotopia (James Gurney): Human with Dinosaur
    - Westeros (George R. R. Martin) same as LotR, but with even less magic
    - Narnia (C. S. Lewis) more magic, but less clear factions
    - Hyboria (Robert E. Howard) World of Conan the Warrior

But if they want to do something in the scope of Warhammer trilogy:

- Abeir-Toril or Golarion (DnD) lot of known faction/kingdom, lot of magic and moster that could be adapted
    - Grand Mythology: Adapting different Pantheon into Race, with the God as LL
    - Xhant (Xanht ?) Don't remember who wrote those but I think there were quite a lot of possible units/factions

On less serious notes:
    - Hyrule
    - Pokemon
    With different game island becoming the map, and the units being composed of humans, human with Pokemon and SEM Pokemon (Lord and Hero would be human with a talent tree giving a specific Pokemon or something
    - Avatar (Air bender, not blue guys)
    With the base factions being the 4 Elements, and then Dlc bringing other more specific benders (Earth getting Sand and Metal, Water: Swamp ice...)

• davedave1124#4773davedave1124#4773 Senior Member St Helens UKRegistered Users Posts: 22,082
    edited September 2022
    If the just use the TT model 40K would be fine for the Total War format. It may help for them to create a new engine but there’s no obvious reason they can’t. CA and GW are used to working closely together so I can imagine them having a good look at 40K.
  • SiWI#8629SiWI#8629 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,014
    It would be odd for CA and even GW itself to not look into a 40k TW Trilogy.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • davedave1124#4773davedave1124#4773 Senior Member St Helens UKRegistered Users Posts: 22,082
    SiWI#8629 said:

I think it’s an obvious choice for them to give clear consideration to looking into the game.
    SiWI#8629 said:

WHF worked well as a trilogy, 40K really doesn't though.

And still think there's no real chance of it as a TW title, but CA has said they want to do more than just TW.

I kinda hope they are not going straight to the next Warhammer IP but do something else first.
    LotR is certainly an option but there are other possibilities too.

The point is CA already have a good relationship with GW and considering WHTW was very popular and 40K is a lot more popular, it has a very good chance.

A few ppl on here who are not in the industry sometimes make guesses on what CA are capable of creating but I’m quite sure they’re more than capable of doing a 40K game if they think there’s a good profit involved.

It could be exactly what they are looking for in terms of a long term project with an already highly motivated customer base.
  • bilbobaggins764bilbobaggins764 Registered Users Posts: 156
    I pray 4 lotr

SiWI#8629 said:

WHF worked well as a trilogy, 40K really doesn't though.

And still think there's no real chance of it as a TW title, but CA has said they want to do more than just TW.
    why? you can easily have a milky way map that expands over 3 installments. Bringing more races with it ect.
    SiWI#8629 said:

why? you can easily have a milky way map that expands over 3 installments. Bringing more races with it ect.

Mostly because it doesn't make sense to cut it up like that, sectors maybe but there's more than 3. All the races already get scatter across the sectors so it's only going to bring new races that they choose not to add for reasons. Rest is just going to be more tweaks to existing factions.
    40K:TW could work as something that goes beyond a trilogy. Although, due to its immense size it could be split up into 3 main base games but with huge DLC support similar to the current model.

Personally I think it could be bigger than that. This would be ideal for CA’s view of wanting to create long term game releases.
  • Cortes31#6909Cortes31#6909 Registered Users Posts: 2,385

40K:TW could work as something that goes beyond a trilogy. Although, due to its immense size it could be split up into 3 main base games but with huge DLC support similar to the current model.

Personally I think it could be bigger than that. This would be ideal for CA’s view of wanting to create long term game releases.

Not with spaghetti code. Never with spaghetti code.

Until they finally get proper multi-core support for their games (still single core as far as I know but might be wrong) they should never do anything even the size of this trilogy. Never again.

Not with spaghetti code. Never with spaghetti code.

Until they finally get proper multi-core support for their games (still single core as far as I know but might be wrong) they should never do anything even the size of this trilogy. Never again.
    I don’t think anyone can answer what CA and their engine is capable of outside CA.

The fact remains that this trilogy is the best thing they’ve done and most popular in terms of long term support.

SiWI#8629 said:

Mostly because it doesn't make sense to cut it up like that, sectors maybe but there's more than 3. All the races already get scatter across the sectors so it's only going to bring new races that they choose not to add for reasons. Rest is just going to be more tweaks to existing factions.
    You seem to have no memory of the TW WH trilogy.
    The look of WH 1 & 2 and even 3 non "Immortal Empire" campaign maps was 100% cause by "confidence" for the Devs.
    With alot of places being empty or filled with a place holder race, before the dlc or even the next game.

Skavenblight would be a prim example.
    Hell, if DoW come, then their cities were place holder for 3 games.

I think it is artificial to claim that a 40k trilogy wouldn't work, because every sector supposedly would have all races (not true for Tau and the single SM orders but I admit that this is nitpicking).
    And if CA wants they can easily combine parts of different sectors, so they get 3 different maps they can combine.
    SiWI#8629 said:

The look of WH 1 & 2 and even 3 non "Immortal Empire" campaign maps was 100% cause by "confidence" for the Devs.
    With alot of places being empty or filled with a place holder race, before the dlc or even the next game.

I think it is artificial to claim that a 40k trilogy wouldn't work, because every sector supposedly would have all races (not true for Tau and the single SM orders but I admit that this is nitpicking).
    And if CA wants they can easily combine parts of different sectors, so they get 3 different maps they can combine.

It's not an issue of areas being empty, they wouldn't have that issue with doing it on the grand map unless they don't have like Orks for starters as those tend to be all over the place lol.

Issue was more, 40K doesn't have that many factions compared to WHF. Most are sub-factions and then don't have that many locations they are, they aren't big "land" owners but their own armies.

SM are sub-factions, would be better for DLCs due to most being slight tweaks of the base roster of SM. Tau yeah could be missed if they choose an area away from them, possibly similar with the Tyranids but wouldn't expect people wanting to spend £50 just to unlock them.

It's more there's no need to do it as a trilogy. It also runs in to far more other issues than just cutting out some factions just to sell a second game.

I don’t think anyone can answer what CA and their engine is capable of outside CA.

Getting the AI to manage a siege seems to be XD
    edited October 2022

SiWI#8629 said:

It's not an issue of areas being empty, they wouldn't have that issue with doing it on the grand map unless they don't have like Orks for starters as those tend to be all over the place lol.

Issue was more, 40K doesn't have that many factions compared to WHF. Most are sub-factions and then don't have that many locations they are, they aren't big "land" owners but their own armies.

SM are sub-factions, would be better for DLCs due to most being slight tweaks of the base roster of SM. Tau yeah could be missed if they choose an area away from them, possibly similar with the Tyranids but wouldn't expect people wanting to spend £50 just to unlock them.

It's more there's no need to do it as a trilogy. It also runs in to far more other issues than just cutting out some factions just to sell a second game.

Getting the AI to manage a siege seems to be XD
    I think you may have miscounted there. 40k has more than enough races/factions to fill out 3 games and the other difference is the fans would be rather obsessive about the different chapters of Space Marines which would have differences in look and vehicles that go beyond a colour change.

Space marine, Astra militarum, SoB, Custodies/SoS, Mechanicum, Dark Mechanicum, GS (Beast Snaggers have a totally different look to general Orks), GS, Khorne Daemons, Nurgle Daemons, Tzeentch Daemons, Slannesh Daemons, Death Guard, Black Legion, Thousand Sons (every traitor Astartes are a race in their own right), Tau, Necrons, Tyrinids, Votann, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Harliquins etc.

Let’s not forget CA’s ability to make new races out of nothing. Let’s also not pretend that CA cares about the current political system or ignore the fact that Imperial forces attack each other on a regular basis.

40K has more than enough races, lore, characters, narrative etc. to be spread over 3 games. I think your guess about what 40K fans are willing to pay for is well off the mark.

Rebel planets can be used, I’d say that’s a very minor issue.
    Post edited by davedave1124#4773 on
  • Loreguy#1056Loreguy#1056 Registered Users Posts: 1,853
    I want Medieval 3 + ASOIAF (Games of Thrones) DLC.