Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Please CA! NO PERMA-DEATH IN DOM!

#91451#91451 Registered Users Posts: 21
Dear CA,

I think you guys managed to get Dom on the right track with 2.1. Please take a couple of patches to fine-tune balance, add more maps and see if there is any issue that needs fixing first (eg unsummoning, refund, respawn time) before implementing such a big change without any playtest, which can potentially break the mode.

Please take some time off, enjoy your success and leave Dom to rest for a while.

Comments

• saweendra#3399saweendra#3399 Registered Users Posts: 19,598
    yes please i want it for the long road to redemption must happen some ware.

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

• Pocman#6295Pocman#6295 Registered Users Posts: 5,761

Dear CA,

I think you guys managed to get Dom on the right track with 2.1. Please take a couple of patches to fine-tune balance, add more maps and see if there is any issue that needs fixing first (eg unsummoning, refund, respawn time) before implementing such a big change without any playtest, which can potentially break the mode.

Please take some time off, enjoy your success and leave Dom to rest for a while.

Success... 75 per cent of players prefer land battles
  • Lotus_Moon#2452Lotus_Moon#2452 Registered Users Posts: 12,358
    first step in perma death should be charecters and ROR's
  • eumaies#1128eumaies#1128 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,519
    100%

2.1 is very close to ideal; just teleport refunds and probably game being a bit too long; don't wreck everything with the insane idea mentioned in the patch notes.
  • The_real_FAUST#6885The_real_FAUST#6885 Registered Users Posts: 2,113
    Better map's

Unit balancing

At the very least will give the mode a fighting chance
  • #210289#210289 Registered Users Posts: 167

A 20 minute long potential game shouldn't be ended because you sniped a 600g caster by dog piling it with disposable units.

Permanent death doesn't work in the current meta at all.

What could possibly work is a 'death tax' on units, where they cost more to resummon if destroyed. But casters as an example regularly accrue 2.5k-3k value, and if they are going to die immediately and never come back , it's goig to ruin the game in a bad way.

Casters will either become powerful resilent legendary lords, or stay in reserve until magic values hit 40+ winds of magic.

Won't be a positive.

I understand you want a domination mode where people are punished more heavily for mistakes, but this maybe won't work.
  • #11370#11370 Registered Users Posts: 39
    Oh yes please perma-death! If players would like their 600 g caster safe - then it is their own responsibility to provide the defending funds to do so. Often players will have to get expensive units into dangerous situations to attack such a caster and will have paid well above his cost.

Also - I hate the idea of reinforcements in the first place - let alone bringing them a second time and unsommoning units, which I may have chased once across the entire battlefield and having paid every inch in blood. This is all cheating by house rule. Dead is dead - or also refund the chasing player for his efforts in skill, micro and unit cost - oh well yeah, not possible.

And how could one even possible entertain the idea for one second to allow the resummoning of artilery ? It is defended in the deployment zone - where I have no business nor chance meddling in domination. It is a long bloody way to the backline and it just gets unsummoned? Does anybody even know what they are asking here? Have we been playing the same game? Have you even played a lot of multiplayer?

Oh I lament what this was allowed to turn into..
    This is Knight Hood. No idea why my user name changed
  • IcewolfnectorIcewolfnector Registered Users Posts: 4
    Personally I would like to change the whole unsummon/resummon system like this:

1.Increase unsummoning time to 10 seconds
    It's just kind of silly if people just drag their lord, or some important unit you spent a lot of effort trying to kill, through some basic infantry and they get out of combat long enough that way to be unsummon and avoid the death penalty. 3 seconds is just way to little. 10 Seconds should give you more time to counterplay your oponents try to unsummon said important unit.
    Such short times also create stuff like, just unsummoning your artillery just before an enemy unit can jump it because the time is so short flying units can't even land in time to prevent it and even getting half it's cost back in the process. Feels very unsatifying. Which brings me to point 2

2.Remove the refund on unsummoning units

Like I said, stuff like just unsummoning your artillery before it gets jumped denying your enemy the unit and them even getting money back for it just feels kind of unfair. Or resummoning a strong RoR (ex Skyhammer) and getting all the charges of a strong ability back and geting money back for it ontop.
    I feel like the reward for properly managing your units and unsummoning at the right time should be something different than getting money back.
    Which gets me to the alternative to outright removing units, that routed of the map/got killed.

3.Shorter resummoning delay if you unsummon a unit instead of letting it get killed.
    So if you actually unsummon a unit it should get a shorter delay till it can get resummoned.
    But if you just let it get killed, or you manage to rout/shatter your enemies units of the map they should get a meaningful increase in their resummoning time. Something like +30-60 seconds or so maybe.
    So units this way don't just get killed of comepletely if they die or rout from the battlefield, but it still adds more time till they come back this way, so they can't come back as often if they are managed badly or get caught and killed.
    But if you pull them out if they are low, or don't just send your demons or undead back into battle when they survive with like 15-20% health left, you get them back quicker.
    Also lords and other unique units can still be summoned back this way, but you get a longer delay on it as a reward if you manage to actually kill your enemies lord ect of.

Of course there still would be the need to finetune the details and talk about the technical side. Like:
    -How complicated would it be to implement something like this for the devs?
    -What would the exact times be and would their be differences between routed and killed units when it comes to added resummon time?
    -Do undead and deamons get a different time penalty when they crumble to death instead of getting killed by something else? Or do they get different times in general?
    - Different times for different factions or the same accross the board?
    And so on...

But in general I think that something along those lines would be a nice middleground and reward good use of the unsummon mechanic without outright removing killed units, (which could be problematic in longer games, if your pool of units gets smaller and smaller) while still make it feel a bit more rewarding if you manage to kill units of, since they can't come back as quickly as they do now.
  • Pocman#6295Pocman#6295 Registered Users Posts: 5,761
    Dead units should stay dead.

A 20 minute long potential game shouldn't be ended because you sniped a 600g caster by dog piling it with disposable units.

What could possibly work is a 'death tax' on units, where they cost more to resummon if destroyed. But casters as an example regularly accrue 2.5k-3k value, and if they are going to die immediately and never come back , it's goig to ruin the game in a bad way.

Casters will either become powerful resilent legendary lords, or stay in reserve until magic values hit 40+ winds of magic.

Won't be a positive.

I understand you want a domination mode where people are punished more heavily for mistakes, but this maybe won't work.
    Just play well and protect the said unit….
  • Shoggunik#9002Shoggunik#9002 Registered Users Posts: 36
    @Lotus_Moon#2452 this is kind of "git gud" comment.

I understand there should be reward for good play of sniping caster. But it is not fun if game is decided over one mistake. And character sniping is one of the reasons many people dislike LB.

You get rewarded - gold spent, time without magic on battlefield.

In LB it is not as bad as game probably ends quite fast after that. Dom still will go for quite a bit of time. And surrender when tickets score is 100-150 makes for poor viewing experience

I understand there should be reward for good play of sniping caster. But it is not fun if game is decided over one mistake. And character sniping is one of the reasons many people dislike LB.

In LB it is not as bad as game probably ends quite fast after that. Dom still will go for quite a bit of time. And surrender when tickets score is 100-150 makes for poor viewing experience

I mean Mp needs a levels of git gud like it or hate it .

If not we can just play camapagin against the AI and call it a day...

I mean if your in for 20 min battle and you got hard valued . As the other defenders of dom has pointed out while a ago

You can just concede and not waste 20 mins

• Sarmatianns#6760Sarmatianns#6760 Registered Users Posts: 4,928

Won't be a positive.

That is actually the point. You can have squishy damage dealer units, but they you sort of need to properly defend them and support them.

It is a bit non sensical that you can bring back units that costs, by your own words, 600 gold and can do 2.5-3.5k value in damage. They are precisely priced so low, because they are squishy and you are expected to invest additional resources to protect them and get them to their full potential.
  • drogarito#2548drogarito#2548 Registered Users Posts: 1,818
    So you can revive units in domination?

• MrMecHMrMecH Registered Users Posts: 2,415
    It should be increasing respawn cooldown instead of permanent death. I hope CA will rethink about its when patch 2.2 come.
    SHUT UP GIVE US GHORGON!!!!!

It is get gud comment, well the game can be decided by 1 mistake in many other cases and they are acceptable also,
    Mistakes like those happen much less when there is skill based match-making, if people dont want their lord sniped they need to protect it, if they cannot than they deserve getting it snipped, mind you some spell that do that have been asked to be nerfed for a long time.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 23,797
    Let's all drop any more "git gud" comments. Site specific play techniques or strategies, etc., if you have to make a comment.

Discuss the game play without personal comments to or about other members....
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

• Shoggunik#9002Shoggunik#9002 Registered Users Posts: 36

It is get gud comment, well the game can be decided by 1 mistake in many other cases and they are acceptable also,
    Mistakes like those happen much less when there is skill based match-making, if people dont want their lord sniped they need to protect it, if they cannot than they deserve getting it snipped, mind you some spell that do that have been asked to be nerfed for a long time.
    Well I personally don't think that game being decided by one mistake... especially on lower skill of play, is a good game design. You are talking from a position of player that is reasonably competent and I appreciate that. But I don't think that such punishing design make for a friendly environment for newcomers. Also I don't think there are many examples as polarizing the game outcome as character sniping.

There are other parts to this - magic might be too strong, maybe casters are too cheap. TBH I prefer Land Battles and I like the idea of units staying dead after being killed... it's just I'm not sure if Dom in the form it is right now handles that well.

Well I personally don't think that game being decided by one mistake... especially on lower skill of play, is a good game design. You are talking from a position of player that is reasonably competent and I appreciate that. But I don't think that such punishing design make for a friendly environment for newcomers. Also I don't think there are many examples as polarizing the game outcome as character sniping.

There are other parts to this - magic might be too strong, maybe casters are too cheap. TBH I prefer Land Battles and I like the idea of units staying dead after being killed... it's just I'm not sure if Dom in the form it is right now handles that well.
    Look if you want welcoming environment for low skill players than.

Really either CA needs to make some kind of team mode so a rest of team can cover for player

Or allow the player to grow by having a good Ai to start teaching

Or to quite blunt fix the match making system so the low skilled players get grouped with other low skilled players

Because it really doesn't matter what the skill cap is any mP format is quite literally a get gud environment.

And getting gud is the only way. And that includes mind set of accepting defeat

• Sarmatianns#6760Sarmatianns#6760 Registered Users Posts: 4,928

Sure, that is valid concern on the whole. The fact still remains that you are sort of paying a discount.

If you can get 2.5k value from a caster that costs 600, that means that you can make a mistake, get him killed and then resummoned... and do that 3 additional times, and still come out on top value wise.

For instance, a scenario in which I can make 3 mistakes and get my caster killed 3 times while you could make a single mistake with an expensive unit caught in dwellers bellow and lose the same amount of value.

Almost all races have tankier version of mages (either through mounts or different characters), if you're not sure whether you can keep your casters safe, but then you actually pay additionally for that protection.
    If you're worried about your mage as Kislev, pay additional 500 gold and put them on a bear. Much more difficult to snipe for your opponent and also much less of a chance for them to die due to a single misplay.
    edited September 2022

But if the player doesnt want invest to protect his glass cannon charecter than why should he be able to rip the benefits of such a character, the reason mages are cheap usually is because they are squishy its the game design, the ones that are hard to kill/snipe are expensive, i dont mind making mages harder to kill but their price should go up.

Re-spawning just promotes ignoring that character as its not worth the effort

I do think charecters and ror’s are units that players should get used to paying more attention to even in dom.

My stance is that charecters and ror should not have extra lives

In dom you can always take a 2nd mage in reserve if you want to make sure that loosing first one is not that costly.
  • Bohemond_Beastslayer#3117Bohemond_Beastslayer#3117 Registered Users Posts: 238
    So how I view the "mages/lords/RoR" shouldn't be resummoned is as follows:

I understand the point of view that "skill should decide the winner," and agree with that premise up to a certain point. Obviously, if losing a mage or lord had no bearing on the outcome of the game, and the victor was decided by pure RNG, the game would be an utterly unsatisfying dice roll and nobody would play it.

This doesn't describe domination. Losing your mage and lord has a big impact. You can summon them back if you lose them, but you're still dealing with a no magic disadvantage or a -16 lord death morale penalty, and can't summon anything while saving up.

The problem with pushing domination to be "less forgiving" is two fold. One, it starts to chip away at one of domination's main strengths; it's approachability. A less hardcore, less abusable experience has lowered the barrier of entry for a lot of people and that's really positive for everyone who likes the idea of multiplayer but found land battles unapproachable.
    Second, a lot of what you're asking for already exists in land battles. You can literally go play battles with no resummons right now. What does homogenisation of two separate and distinct game modes achieve?
    Do you take me for a churl?
  • Spellbound1875#4610Spellbound1875#4610 Registered Users Posts: 2,047

But if the player doesnt want invest to protect his glass cannon charecter than why should he be able to rip the benefits of such a character, the reason mages are cheap usually is because they are squishy its the game design, the ones that are hard to kill/snipe are expensive, i dont mind making mages harder to kill but their price should go up.

Re-spawning just promotes ignoring that character as its not worth the effort

I do think charecters and ror’s are units that players should get used to paying more attention to even in dom.

My stance is that charecters and ror should not have extra lives

In dom you can always take a 2nd mage in reserve if you want to make sure that loosing first one is not that costly.
    What's the functional difference between taking 2 mages in a dom game and being able to pay to return the dead/routed one back to the field?

Your caster dying means you can't use magic for X time, where X is how long it takes to be able to summon a caster from reserve. You have to pay a supply cost which means you can't use those supplies to summon another unit. You're punished with being out of position when a unit is resummoned. You'll get a unit with a similar (or identical) load out for about the same price.

The only meaningful difference I see is that you have to give up a unit in your reinforcement pool to bring a second mage. This is almost always a pricier or unconventional unit which are already underrepresented in the mode. Perma-death just weakens build diversity by forcing players to invest in hyperefficient units only.

That doesn't seem like something worth encouraging to address something which isn't a meaningful balance issue.
    2nd mage takes up your character slot thus limiting your options.

Character/ror not coming back to life makes sense from logical point of view also as there is only one copy of them, if they die they are dead where as normal units can be replaced.

Also it’s not easy to get your mage sniped in the first place at all, just protect it and if you find it hard take a lore with very long range spells, if people choose not to adjust their picks to their own ability I don’t think the game should baby sit them, there are plenty of ways to mitigate the squishines of a mage, big reason newer players get their mages snipped easily is due to no match-making, but if it happens to someone in a tournament I have no sympathy for them, it’s why they entered it to test their skill in the first place.

I’m not saying remove re-summons all together I’m saying remove re-summons from units that it makes sense to remove it from.

The problem with pushing domination to be "less forgiving" is two fold. One, it starts to chip away at one of domination's main strengths; it's approachability. A less hardcore, less abusable experience has lowered the barrier of entry for a lot of people and that's really positive for everyone who likes the idea of multiplayer but found land battles unapproachable..

Sure if it gets removed from ranked play than no worries on that approach.

. Your caster dying means you can't use magic for X time, where X is how long it takes to be able to summon a caster from reserve. You have to pay a supply cost which means you can't use those supplies to summon another unit. You're punished with being out of position when a unit is resummoned. You'll get a unit with a similar (or identical) load out for about the same price.

So what you can’t use magic for x time, your magic is still there and can use it all later, as someone who saves my magic to late game it’s totally fine with me, and after all it’s not like you had to loose the mage, could of kept it alive in first place or even started in reinforcements to begin with and brought it on when you needed magic.

• Spellbound1875#4610Spellbound1875#4610 Registered Users Posts: 2,047
    I mean, for RoR and characters dying it sounds like this is primarily an immersion thing rather than a balance thing for you. You are correct that it's pretty easy to avoid having your mage die, meaning all this does is punish errors against builds with character sniping potential and new players, neither of which seems particularly valuable to the game mode.

As for the character slot point, taking even two characters is uncommon in dom and resummoning characters that aren't absurdly undercosted rarely happens since they just aren't great investments. It's a solution looking for a problem at this time.

I can understand the idea that it's weird that an RoR or a character can be used again after dying but if we're just talking about game balance there isn't a compelling argument here. And given some of the suggestions that people have made to things they like are "unloreful" or "unrealistic" that would be hugely detrimental to the game I don't see a reason to give that weirdness any weight without a compelling balance justification.

I mean, for RoR and characters dying it sounds like this is primarily an immersion thing rather than a balance thing for you. You are correct that it's pretty easy to avoid having your mage die, meaning all this does is punish errors against builds with character sniping potential and new players, neither of which seems particularly valuable to the game mode.

As for the character slot point, taking even two characters is uncommon in dom and resummoning characters that aren't absurdly undercosted rarely happens since they just aren't great investments. It's a solution looking for a problem at this time.

I can understand the idea that it's weird that an RoR or a character can be used again after dying but if we're just talking about game balance there isn't a compelling argument here. And given some of the suggestions that people have made to things they like are "unloreful" or "unrealistic" that would be hugely detrimental to the game I don't see a reason to give that weirdness any weight without a compelling balance justification.

Considering CA wants to remove all resummons im saying it makes most sense to just stop it in ROR and characters rather than everything
  • eumaies#1128eumaies#1128 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,519
    Generals are the only unit that has a unique function when it dies that is not currently well represented.

Mages are just units like any other, no reason they need any different treatment. Also there is a bug that mages cost more to use as a reinforcement paying double for their spells. But the whole game is full of bigger bugs.
  • #91451#91451 Registered Users Posts: 21
    Pocman said:

Dead units should stay dead.

It's clear you don't play Dom imho

Considering CA wants to remove all resummons im saying it makes most sense to just stop it in ROR and characters rather than everything
    Yeah, they're planning to do it, but after seeing the recent Turin's Dom games, I doubt they'll still hang onto that idea for the next patch.
    eumaies said:

Generals are the only unit that has a unique function when it dies that is not currently well represented.

Mages are just units like any other, no reason they need any different treatment. Also there is a bug that mages cost more to use as a reinforcement paying double for their spells. But the whole game is full of bigger bugs.

They actually fixed that, you can bring Mages in reserve now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file