Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

it feels like every patch we get a new game and I just have to hope it's one I like

AWildLionAWildLion Registered Users Posts: 4
I don't understand why CA keeps making such huge changes to domination when we've barely had a chance to play it. I was having a lot of fun playing domination on 2.0 and now I just don't enjoy it anymore. It felt like we were in a good place before the patch and just needed a few balance changes and bugfixes. I don't get why CA would rather make massive changes to a game mode that we've only had for a few weeks rather than just try to fix the broken parts and see how it does in a healthier state. It's just kinda sad to me that they'd rather scrap the game mode that I enjoy than put any effort into fixing the balance issues and bugs that made people dislike it in the first place.

Comments

• Lotus_Moon#2452Lotus_Moon#2452 Registered Users Posts: 12,329
    edited September 7
    AWildLion said:

I don't understand why CA keeps making such huge changes to domination when we've barely had a chance to play it. I was having a lot of fun playing domination on 2.0 and now I just don't enjoy it anymore. It felt like we were in a good place before the patch and just needed a few balance changes and bugfixes. I don't get why CA would rather make massive changes to a game mode that we've only had for a few weeks rather than just try to fix the broken parts and see how it does in a healthier state. It's just kinda sad to me that they'd rather scrap the game mode that I enjoy than put any effort into fixing the balance issues and bugs that made people dislike it in the first place.

I think its due to it having a very negative feedback overall, and a lot of ideas are being thrown around how to change that, im actually of opposite stance and this this instalment makes many more playstyles viable as opposed to headless melee rush so its going in positive direction.

Next step is to work on safe zones not being so safe anymore so units can flank more and arty is not in safe heaven.

BUT i do agree with you that the balance issues and bugs should be fixed first so we can get a proper idea of what the mode is lacking.
  • AWildLionAWildLion Registered Users Posts: 4
    edited September 7
    I think its due to it having a very negative feedback overall, and a lot of ideas are being thrown around how to change that, I'm actually of opposite stance and this this instalment makes many more playstyles viable as opposed to headless melee rush so its going in positive direction.

I'm not convinced "headless melee rush" was the only viable style. Platypus has some success with gunlines, Enticity was spamming skirmish cav and having a lot of success, I even saw Hadres winning with glob kite. The thing is, we didn't have enough time to experiment and find out. Everyone just decided that throwing bodies at the points was the easiest way to win and barely even tried more nuanced playstyles. I think it's entirely possible that melee rush would have faded from the meta given some time and balance changes. Now we'll never know.

Edit: IDK how to quote properly on this site
  • Lotus_Moon#2452Lotus_Moon#2452 Registered Users Posts: 12,329
    edited September 7
    I think its due to it having a very negative feedback overall, and a lot of ideas are being thrown around how to change that, I'm actually of opposite stance and this this instalment makes many more playstyles viable as opposed to headless melee rush so its going in positive direction.

I'm not convinced "headless melee rush" was the only viable style. Platypus has some success with gunlines, Enticity was spamming skirmish cav and having a lot of success, I even saw Hadres winning with glob kite. The thing is, we didn't have enough time to experiment and find out. Everyone just decided that throwing bodies at the points was the easiest way to win and barely even tried more nuanced playstyles. I think it's entirely possible that melee rush would have faded from the meta given some time and balance changes. Now we'll never know.

IDK how to quote properly on this site

Enticity using bugged out skirmish cav does not make a convincing argument to me, and actually all those armies had a core melee infantry in them, with just aspects of some ranged, having 3 360 units does not make it into a ranged or kite army when there is also 15 melee in that same army, i watched those games and only coast would count as actually different.

Press quote icon when looking at other posters post, its on same line as agree/report, disagree
  • eumaies#1128eumaies#1128 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,450
    it's clear they make really big changes when more subtle changes are needed. But some game lenght increase was really important.
  • Black_Phillip#5773Black_Phillip#5773 Registered Users Posts: 900
    I mean it is technically a beta so now is the time to try and get things right.
  • brainbukbrainbuk Registered Users Posts: 57
    edited September 7
    wouldn't there be an approach for a point multiplayer based on value differential?

If someone just chaff swarms flags, and you take a point lead high enough to win with a 1 cap at some point, that could actually help, combining that with withdrawing out of ammo ranged, could make it somewhat viable.

Also zombies NEED expendable tag, also because they are expendable

thats for immortal empires, not domination

It really doesn’t feel like they’re trying. **** up the game in a new way every patch with no regard to specific advice and recommendations is not trying.
  • steam_1645114418282AvXOj0steam_1645114418282AvXOj0 Registered Users Posts: 16
    I think this Dom meta is pretty solid, there should be no big adjustments to Dom from now. CA can now invest their time into ironing out bad mechanics like Instant Respawn, Unsummoning, Refund in general.

This patch right now feel like the most balanced patch between ranged vs melee so far for Dom

I think this Dom meta is pretty solid, there should be no big adjustments to Dom from now. CA can now invest their time into ironing out bad mechanics like Instant Respawn, Unsummoning, Refund in general.

This patch right now feel like the most balanced patch between ranged vs melee so far for Dom

I think you'll find your are mistaken.

Due to the teleport refunds, and the difficulty of attacking someone's back lines, this version of dom will have a very long excessive skirmish phase with ranged units that are then teleported out. Factions that lack these tools will have to spend minutes hiding the woods or just getting whacked. They made caps too much of an afterthought for a game mode that only works if both sides have an incentive to fight closer to the middle.
  • AWildLionAWildLion Registered Users Posts: 4
    brainbuk said:

wouldn't there be an approach for a point multiplayer based on value differential?

If someone just chaff swarms flags, and you take a point lead high enough to win with a 1 cap at some point, that could actually help, combining that with withdrawing out of ammo ranged, could make it somewhat viable.

Also zombies NEED expendable tag, also because they are expendable

thats for immortal empires, not domination
    Zombies count as expendable. Always have
  • steam_1645114418282AvXOj0steam_1645114418282AvXOj0 Registered Users Posts: 16
    eumaies said:

Due to the teleport refunds, and the difficulty of attacking someone's back lines, this version of dom will have a very long excessive skirmish phase with ranged units that are then teleported out. Factions that lack these tools will have to spend minutes hiding the woods or just getting whacked. They made caps too much of an afterthought for a game mode that only works if both sides have an incentive to fight closer to the middle.
    Did i forget to mention refund and unsummoning in my reply or did you just forget to read?

Please name me 1 faction that lacks Skirmish or Ranged units beside VC.

Like you, I also play the mode and watch many vids on it. In most games, people will move to cap, as long as VP exists, there is no guarantee that you win by trading alone, especially when VP is usually the deciding factor when the value trading is even for both sides.
  • XxXScorpionXxX#2310XxXScorpionXxX#2310 Registered Users Posts: 5,922
    Counts have Skirmish units. Dire Wolves and Fell Bats. They just don't have missile cav.
    Request scorched body textures, and fire death effects. At least 30% of all damage in this game comes from fire sources. Request Fire for the Fire God DLC.

eumaies said:

Did i forget to mention refund and unsummoning in my reply or did you just forget to read?

Please name me 1 faction that lacks Skirmish or Ranged units beside VC.

Like you, I also play the mode and watch many vids on it. In most games, people will move to cap, as long as VP exists, there is no guarantee that you win by trading alone, especially when VP is usually the deciding factor when the value trading is even for both sides.
    i was wrong, this version of dom is pretty good.
  • sandercohensandercohen Registered Users Posts: 442
    I had my initial reservations about dom but since the last patch I've been enjoying it quite a lot. I feel like it draws new players to the MP scene while mixing things up from traditional land battles. Personally I like both, but I can understand why some people like one over the other.

Had you asked me two months ago I'd probably say that I dislike dom, but as of now I feel that it's in a much better state than when it was released, and I remain confident that going forward they will improve upon it, perhaps to the point that it's better than land battles. Personally I think a lot of the flak it has received is that land battles has been the traditional setting for so long, for warhammer specifically and total war generally, so it's hard for people to accept changes. That along with the fact that in previous patches it disproportionately favoured melee-centric factions, made land battles overall more interesting.

One thing to keep in mind though is that while it can be more fun to play, it is typically less interesting to watch, and what we could label as the 'multiplayer community' doesn't just consist of people actually playing multiplayer, but also people who watch multiplayer on youtube as a sort of spectator sport. In that regard I fully understand some people's hatred for dom, since there are fewer edge-of-the-seat type moments and turning points happening in dom, that along with the longer battles generally makes for a poorer spectator experience, especially considering that for the viewer it clearer at an earlier stage who is going to lose.
  • DatHomieSilverSurfer#4822DatHomieSilverSurfer#4822 Registered Users Posts: 312
    Also in the “currently digging don” boat

Hated it before the last patch, but it’s definitely opening up to me

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file