Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The Volkmar IE campaign slapped

BourbonBourbon Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 11
When I saw that Volkmar was moving down south to square off against all sorts of horror I knew that would be my first campaign. Free Company Militia are one of my favorite units in the Empire roster and he is the only LL that makes them useful past the first 20 or so turns. By the mid game Stirland’s Revenge were easily my favorite unit and had hilarious stats. I was able to play the entire campaign primarily with stacks of mostly lower tier units and elector count troops which was a lot of fun.

There were some great moments in the campaign. For example I sent Gotrek and Felix off to collect some far flung books of Nagash which led to some of my favorite battles of the campaign. I won a pretty desperate defense against Festus as Toddy after confederating Gelt. The overall highlight of the campaign was definitely the battle between Volkmar and Skarbrand. Unfortunately I forgot to take a screen shot after the battle but here is the matchup. The furies and his summoning gate were a huge pain a really limited my artillery’s effectiveness but at the end of the day the unbreakable flagellants and the unlucky free company that ended up in melee held the line long enough to shoot Skarbrand and the knights to death while Volkmar and the priest killed everything else with soul fire.

On the other hand the most tilting battle was against Thorek. I killed literally everything he brought but he proceeded to solo most of 2 stacks. In hindsight I needed to save more of my ammo to shoot him. Still having every dwarf unit fight to the last man and then watch Thorek do that made me take a break. I had a similar experience with Morghur later on but I was already desensitized by then. While that was the most tilting battle, the overall most frustrating thing was the Tzeentch changing of ways giving my regions to random factions and making me skip a critical turn in the middle of the dwarf crisis. I believe I would have won at least 10 turns earlier without the 5 or so times I got hit with changing of ways.

I squeaked in under 200 turns thanks to my Wood Elf allies snagging Karak Ziflin while I was still working my way through dwarven Sylvania on the way to Karak Kadrin.

Overall my first Immortal Empires campaign was a blast. Compared to Mortal Empires I was able to play with a ton of lower tier units, way more armies and fought all sorts of enemies I would have never fought as the Empire. There are definitely some balancing issues but the most common complaints I’ve seen about Empire are that artillery is useless and for me, while artillery was definitely weaker than in ME, I never felt like it was useless or underpowered. The crisis felt a little weird since dwarves had been my closest allies all game but it was a wild twist to ally with Wood Elves and go after them. The only really challenging part of the game was the first 12 turns until I had killed Manny. Once we has gone I was able to wipe out all my awful neighbors in one direction at a time while still having a stack to play D and Gotrek’s stack sailing around making money and getting books.

Comments

• KamicalKamical Registered Users Posts: 41
  • DatHomieSilverSurfer#4822DatHomieSilverSurfer#4822 Registered Users Posts: 312
    Totally agree, this was nearly identically my experience with his campaign.

In the end, I don’t tons of fancy buttons elector buttons and win-harder screens. Just diverse, challenging enemies, solid mechanics that promote diverse armies (seriously, I was using the whole array of Volkmar-bugged units all game), and awesome visuals!
  • Jarms48#7854Jarms48#7854 Registered Users Posts: 131
    Volkmar is definitely the easiest, and most enjoyable, Empire campaign. No Imperial Authority death spiral, no constant armies spawning indefinitely from hostility.

Volkmar battles are incredibly fun with free militia spam. He's got so many buffs for them. You've also got much less enemies to deal with down south. So you can just constantly keep clearing your threats and continue expanding.

I do like sending the starting witch hunter north once I get my first few regions secured. Get him to discover the other order factions. You can make a ton of money via diplomacy with the Empire, Southern Realms, Bretonnia, Dwarves, and Wood Elves. Then you can send that Witch Hunter to Ulthuan and then to Lustria. Same again, make tons of money from the High Elves, Huntsman Expedition, Southern Realms, etc.

You can even confederate the entire Empire faster than Franz/Gelt can.
  • Qinshi#2439Qinshi#2439 Registered Users Posts: 255
    Bourbon said:

When I saw that Volkmar was moving down south to square off against all sorts of horror I knew that would be my first campaign. Free Company Militia are one of my favorite units in the Empire roster and he is the only LL that makes them useful past the first 20 or so turns. By the mid game Stirland’s Revenge were easily my favorite unit and had hilarious stats. I was able to play the entire campaign primarily with stacks of mostly lower tier units and elector count troops which was a lot of fun.

There were some great moments in the campaign. For example I sent Gotrek and Felix off to collect some far flung books of Nagash which led to some of my favorite battles of the campaign. I won a pretty desperate defense against Festus as Toddy after confederating Gelt. The overall highlight of the campaign was definitely the battle between Volkmar and Skarbrand. Unfortunately I forgot to take a screen shot after the battle but here is the matchup. The furies and his summoning gate were a huge pain a really limited my artillery’s effectiveness but at the end of the day the unbreakable flagellants and the unlucky free company that ended up in melee held the line long enough to shoot Skarbrand and the knights to death while Volkmar and the priest killed everything else with soul fire.

On the other hand the most tilting battle was against Thorek. I killed literally everything he brought but he proceeded to solo most of 2 stacks. In hindsight I needed to save more of my ammo to shoot him. Still having every dwarf unit fight to the last man and then watch Thorek do that made me take a break. I had a similar experience with Morghur later on but I was already desensitized by then. While that was the most tilting battle, the overall most frustrating thing was the Tzeentch changing of ways giving my regions to random factions and making me skip a critical turn in the middle of the dwarf crisis. I believe I would have won at least 10 turns earlier without the 5 or so times I got hit with changing of ways.

I squeaked in under 200 turns thanks to my Wood Elf allies snagging Karak Ziflin while I was still working my way through dwarven Sylvania on the way to Karak Kadrin.

Overall my first Immortal Empires campaign was a blast. Compared to Mortal Empires I was able to play with a ton of lower tier units, way more armies and fought all sorts of enemies I would have never fought as the Empire. There are definitely some balancing issues but the most common complaints I’ve seen about Empire are that artillery is useless and for me, while artillery was definitely weaker than in ME, I never felt like it was useless or underpowered. The crisis felt a little weird since dwarves had been my closest allies all game but it was a wild twist to ally with Wood Elves and go after them. The only really challenging part of the game was the first 12 turns until I had killed Manny. Once we has gone I was able to wipe out all my awful neighbors in one direction at a time while still having a stack to play D and Gotrek’s stack sailing around making money and getting books.

On whaft dificulty setting was this?
    Normal/Easy campaign?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file