Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

What do we think the next Total War game will be?

Coldone666#8229Coldone666#8229 Registered Users Posts: 804
Medieval 3
Shogun 3
Age of Sigmar since Fantasy has done so well
Empire 2
Something new

Personally I'd hope for Sigmar or Shogun 3.
Post edited by dge1 on

Comments

• RikRiorik#9890RikRiorik#9890 Registered Users Posts: 12,142
    Something I won’t want to play.

Or it’s TWW40k or TWWHorusHeresy and it’ll be all fun and games.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
  • DarthEnderX-#6513DarthEnderX-#6513 Registered Users Posts: 5,318
    Warhammer 4!
    "Assassination's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it."
  • Krabbz#7495Krabbz#7495 FranceRegistered Users Posts: 591
    A historical one with very low unit diversity as our boring real world made of only weak humans dictates.

Then hopefuly TW:WH40K despite what the haters think.
  • SerPus#7395SerPus#7395 Registered Users Posts: 9,905
    Since the next one will likely be historical, I'd say Total War Victoria. And then TWW40k.
  • WhySoSalty#3990WhySoSalty#3990 Registered Users Posts: 1,524
    edited September 2022
    everything after warhammer feels like a reskin. Warhammer ruined all the upcoming total war games for me. but if i had to choose i go with Medieval because M2 is still my all time favourite
    My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperial, can you say the same?

• Heretical_Cactus#7598Heretical_Cactus#7598 Registered Users Posts: 3,039
    Historical: Empire 2

Fantasy: Grand Mythology

Romance: 3Kingdom 2 or Equivalent for another story (Maybe Beowulf)

• Commisar#2307Commisar#2307 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,180
    We know it wont be a fantasy title as they've only just released. We know Historical has been working on their next game a while, not sure if anythings been said about the Saga team since the last Troy DLC.

So M3 seems most likely. S2 still holds up really well, the current design path doesn't fit well for E2 but it does work great for M3 and they have now broken the third iteration block they had previous put plus its the longest since it got a game.

I don't think it will be something new as that seems a bit of a risk after how 3K went so M3 seems a good call to keep it rolling before they take another risk.
  • mitthrawnuruodo#4895mitthrawnuruodo#4895 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,976
    Perhaps they will go full generic RTS this time, with birthing units (oh wait that is already there in WH3), collecting resources, building farms et al in the middle of battle,
  • bilbobaggins764bilbobaggins764 Registered Users Posts: 156
    Historic, medieval 3
    fantasy, tolkien
  • Jam#4399Jam#4399 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,070

Historic, medieval 3
    fantasy, tolkien

The 2 most requested game of their genre
  • Lotor12#2810Lotor12#2810 Registered Users Posts: 1,002
    Medieval 3 or Empire 2

Or mentioned Tolken theme
  • VikingHuscal1066#5774VikingHuscal1066#5774 Registered Users Posts: 4,458
    Honestly, if I had my choice, it'd be either Empire 2 or a TW: Antiquity for historical or a Middle Earth or Hyboria TW for fantasy.

I think that with both, if CA worked at it the right way, they could turn out a great potential base game for either one.

I think that an Empire 2 should have but a single campaign and map that is exapanded through DLCs to have an ultimately truly grand scope to it, being nearly global in scale, and instead of just being nothing but line infantry and such, there could still be a wide variety of units that don't all feel the same.

A TW: Antiquity should not simply be a Rome 3, but a TW game that, through DLC, ultimately has campaigns that range from the Rise of Persia to the Fall of Rome. And CA could even do some simple but meaning things to spice up the multiplayer of such a game as well.

And I think that the idea of a Middle Earth TW is something a lot of people like a lot, but I do kind of think that it should mainly stick to the Third Age, almost being like a considerably bigger fantasy Saga title.

I only say that because I've heard about how crazy some of the monsters and such in the wars of the First and Second Ages could be, and I think they that it would be too similar to Warhammer in some ways.

And while I'm certainly not lore master of Conan and the Hyborian world of Robert E. Howard, I do think that there's probably plenty of factions and such that could make for interesting armies and such, and somewhat like Middle Earth, magic and stuff could be rare and quite powerful.
  • Cortes31#6909Cortes31#6909 Registered Users Posts: 2,387
    I would take any LotR Total War.

And while I'm certainly not lore master of Conan and the Hyborian world of Robert E. Howard, I do think that there's probably plenty of factions and such that could make for interesting armies and such, and somewhat like Middle Earth, magic and stuff could be rare and quite powerful.

I'd be down for some good Conan game. No MP survival nonsense or some stupid wave defend stuff.

Just some good Conan RTS or TBS or even better would be a proper RPG.

I'd be down for some good Conan game. No MP survival nonsense or some stupid wave defend stuff.

Just some good Conan RTS or TBS or even better would be a proper RPG.

I disagree, I think that the survival battles have potential, they just need to be worked a bit.

But from what I know, I think that the world of Hyboria could be a pretty interesting world for a TW game at least to be placed in.
  • Coldone666#8229Coldone666#8229 Registered Users Posts: 804
    I don't think CA could afford to make a LOTR game considering Amazon had to spend 100+ million. The license rights are crazy high
  • chainsawdd#9659chainsawdd#9659 Registered Users Posts: 199
    Medieval 3 is plausible. Medieval 2 is way too old but it owns high interest and good reputation. Why not modernize it like Age of Empires series. Microsoft has pumped so many "definitive" edtions of the old titles.
    Imperatoriam maiestatem non solum armis decoratam, sed etiam legibus oportet esse armatam.

Medieval 3 is plausible. Medieval 2 is way too old but it owns high interest and good reputation. Why not modernize it like Age of Empires series. Microsoft has pumped so many "definitive" edtions of the old titles.

I do somewhat agree that it could be nice to get a Medieval 2 Remastered at least, but I honestly think that the idea of a Medieval 3 is pretty overrated.

It's not that I hate the medieval period or anything, I just think that CA could do a fair bit more interesting stuff with a Empire 2 or another better crack at Antiquity.

Because when I try to think of major ways in which they could improve upon a Medieval 3 so that it's not just Medieval 2 all over again nor have it be just Rome 2 or Attila with a Medieval paint jobs, I can't really think of too many things they could do with that period, at least comparably.
  • #224651#224651 Registered Users Posts: 9
    edited November 2022
    They just released Total War Medieval 2 Kingdoms on Android/iOS, so a Total War Medieval 2 Remaster or 3 isn't a bad idea.
    But if they're gunning for something new, a Total World War covering WW1 and 2 could be neat, and of course it'll be a little different than the usual LOTR like battles since they can have trenches, traps/mines, charges, artillery, air support... on the battlefield
    #224651 said:

They just released Total War Medieval 2 Kingdoms on Android/iOS, so a Total War Medieval 2 Remaster or 3 isn't a bad idea.
    But if they're gunning for something new, a Total World War covering WW1 and 2 could be neat, and of course it'll be a little different than the usual LOTR like battles since they can have trenches, traps/mines, charges, artillery, air support... on the battlefield

I think that those reasons would be why we'll most likely never see a TW game set in WW1 or 2, because those eras are so removed from how the TW battles work best.
    #224651 said:

Not really, it's going to look and play nothing like TW, or nothing like WW1/2. SEGA already has a company famous for covering WW2 and they do have a new one coming out, with a campaign map with units you build and move around - CoH3. Makes far more sense to keep it working in their wheel house than try to rebuild TW in to something else.
  • united84#8186united84#8186 Registered Users Posts: 1,149
    With the recent article, stating that CA will be considering Medieval 3 in the future. This means the next flagship will not be M3 as the pre-production has already started long ago.

In addition, with TW3K and Saga, it is really difficult to predict as this has break away from the traditional TW flagship titles convention.

I personally hope that a real heterogenous historical TW game set in Asia though. I think this will **** off quite a few Medieval fans but Asia is a bigger gaming market. So, commercially it makes sense and after all we never had a Total War game set in greater East Asia (not just China or Japan but encompasses the whole of East Asia & South East Asia).

Victoria TW could be also a potential, considering Victoria 3 is quite popular in China and more importantly, it did not get ban. Anyways, I am excited for 2023 and beyond. I prefer if the next historical TW is something that has never been done before. Whether it is set in the victorian era or focuses on East Asian conflicts, I am all for it. TW3K was great but it lacked the historical scope of true Chinese history & conflicts and the chapter packs were a joke. Even Shogun 2 had better scope & content than 3K, you get Rise of the Samurai and also the legendary Fall of the Samurai.

• razenb#1517razenb#1517 Registered Users Posts: 631
    Bug wars.
    You have to fight bugs.
    Oh wait we allready have that

With the recent article, stating that CA will be considering Medieval 3 in the future. This means the next flagship will not be M3 as the pre-production has already started long ago.

But if they haven't announced it and didn't want to announce it in that article, what could they have said otherwise? Had to say similar my self in many jobs and volunteer projects until it is officially announced you keep it vague and open.

I personally hope that a real heterogenous historical TW game set in Asia though. I think this will **** off quite a few Medieval fans but Asia is a bigger gaming market. So, commercially it makes sense and after all we never had a Total War game set in greater East Asia (not just China or Japan but encompasses the whole of East Asia & South East Asia).

Would be interesting, but runs in to issue of lack of unique between them. Most of the time the large scale games cover a specific historical period/event that links the map together. For example Japan for most of it's history is rather isolated. Closest I could see would be a mongol based time period...but that's during the Medieval period for Europe. Asia is such a large area it's rather hard to link it together and do reach area justice. There was some impressive empires and wars in India and Indonesia which could work on a more "limited" scope while still being large. Indonesia would be better if they want more naval elements as well.

Victoria TW could be also a potential, considering Victoria 3 is quite popular in China and more importantly, it did not get ban. Anyways, I am excited for 2023 and beyond. I prefer if the next historical TW is something that has never been done before. Whether it is set in the victorian era or focuses on East Asian conflicts, I am all for it. TW3K was great but it lacked the historical scope of true Chinese history & conflicts and the chapter packs were a joke. Even Shogun 2 had better scope & content than 3K, you get Rise of the Samurai and also the legendary Fall of the Samurai.

Victorian period still seems too far outside the scale they can do at this point. Tech changes are so radical as well in the time period. Although thinking of mechanics, shouldn't many factions already know the owners of most of the map? Be a change of pace to the current exploration part.

Bug wars.
    You have to fight bugs.
    Oh wait we allready have that

That would be something different, that's for sure.

Though I do believe there was this ant themed game where you could basically spawn different types of ants.
    Very probably Napoleon 2, because of new Napoleon movie in 2023 from Ridley Scott, and Joaquin Phoenix playing Napoleon

https://youtu.be/18tyBrdsIeo
    Hopefully Napoleon 2 would be "historical" TW without character and political micromanagment like (3K, ToB) , like good old TW before Rome 2

Hopefully Napoleon 2 would be "historical" TW without character and political micromanagment like (3K, ToB) , like good old TW before Rome 2

I would really hope for an Empire 2 rather than a Napoleon 2, as I think focusing it too much on just the Napoleonic Wars might limit it too much.
  • Heretical_Cactus#7598Heretical_Cactus#7598 Registered Users Posts: 3,039

A Napoleonic game should be a game with political management, like everyone was wedded to some foreign person to make alliance, Napoleon for instance would have to put his people in place of power elsewhere.

Bernadotte (French, Napoleon's friend and a Marechal) who became Swedish king would have to decide between following his previous king or doing his duties as the one that was chosen by the Swede to become their rulers

Etc...

A Napoleonic game should be a game with political management...
    A Napoleonic game should be a wargame at the first place

Yes I want some interesting options in "politics", but not a game being focused on "political micromanagment"

My point is about especially Thrones of Britania and Three Kingdoms, which focused too much on character micromanagment, and in case of ToB, it does not work in practice. Not sure about 3K, but I do not like that aspect

I would really hope for an Empire 2 rather than a Napoleon 2, as I think focusing it too much on just the Napoleonic Wars might limit it too much.
    It coud be "SAGA" title

Well, but I think the people generaly want Empire 2 more than Napoleon 2
This discussion has been closed.