Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Cathay > Empire

Comments

• Nazjax#2857Nazjax#2857 Registered Users Posts: 2,557
    edited September 17
    Powercreep my friend ! So yep I can't disagree with you, but I think you are a bit underestimating the empire still.

Hellstorm is as good (or maybe better because of ammo) than cathay rocket.
    They have more artillery choice overhaul (for now) and not to mention both steam tank (hybrid ''artilery'') and hybolish the SEM/lord sniper by excellence.

Empire has more a better magic overhaul. Even if Cathay has a great magic they have less magic lores options.

Cathay cavalry is less good than Empire. Demigryph destroy Longma and Reiksguard/Blazing sun just outperform jade lancers. Longma have the ability to fly but they don't have that much 1v1 potential and lack ap damage.
    Not to mention Missile cavalry, where the empire shine... Cathay in the other hand... Meh.

Empire infantry is indeed weaker. But with Ulric DLC I think the Empire will have strong elite infantry ! Overhaul Jade warriors (and lancers/crossbowmens) are very cost efficient. They have insane stats for their price, but in game 3 everyone has strong infantry... Kislev, Demons, Cathay... etc... I think Jade units are a bit too strong ! They just have so much armor for a low tier unit...

And of course Cathay has better missile infantry options, but I don't think Empire is that weak. Handgunners are really good for their price and same for marksmen who are amazing against large.

We need to wait Ulric DLC and Cathay DLC to really talk, but for now Empire and Cathay has their own weakness and strenght.

• Ninaran#8122Ninaran#8122 Registered Users Posts: 550
    Empire is still missing their Faith part from steel, faith and gunpowder. So Boris with an Ulric flavour and rework of that part for the Empire is definitely needed.
  • Captain_Rex#1635Captain_Rex#1635 Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 37,672

Empire is still missing their Faith part from steel, faith and gunpowder. So Boris with an Ulric flavour and rework of that part for the Empire is definitely needed.

They actually miss all 3 parts.

The Ulric theme for Faith.

The whole Nuln theme with Elspeth and Jubal for Gunpowder.

And Kurt Helborg, Schwarzhelm, Grand Master and Knights Panther for Steel.
    Summon the Elector Counts!
  • mm3791#9807mm3791#9807 Registered Users Posts: 212
    Empire need Nuln and Middenheim DLCs
  • vormaerin#1910vormaerin#1910 Registered Users Posts: 234
    I know the popular solution is to just add more units, but lack of units is not really the Empire's problem. They are already the swiss army knife of factions. New Lords and heroes are one thing, but I don't know that there's really any more *types* of units that are needed. That would be more replacing units than filling holes the faction isn't supposed to have, imho.

The biggest problem for the Empire is that *everything* requires your attention. You need to position your checkerboard so your handgunners support the infantry instead of being blocked. You need to pay attention to your great skirmish cav so the pistoliers and grenadiers stay alive to get results. Your cavalry needs to by cycle charged. Your artillery needs protected and needs to be hitting the targets your other guys can't deal with.

Maybe its just me, but when I play other factions there are elements that feel like I just need to glance at them from time to time so I can focus more on getting the most out the couple elements that get high mileage out of micro. I mean, everything benefits from good micro, but a lot of factions are just easier to play because some elements are less micro intensive.

• Captain_Rex#1635Captain_Rex#1635 Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 37,672
    mm3791 said:

Empire need Nuln and Middenheim DLCs

• GloatingSwine#8098GloatingSwine#8098 Registered Users Posts: 2,576

The biggest problem for the Empire is that *everything* requires your attention. You need to position your checkerboard so your handgunners support the infantry instead of being blocked. You need to pay attention to your great skirmish cav so the pistoliers and grenadiers stay alive to get results. Your cavalry needs to by cycle charged. Your artillery needs protected and needs to be hitting the targets your other guys can't deal with.

Just because the faction is a swiss army knife, doesn't mean every army needs to be. Focus your armies on either being stand-and-shoot with artillery or cavalry and skirmishers IMO.

I know the popular solution is to just add more units, but lack of units is not really the Empire's problem. They are already the swiss army knife of factions. New Lords and heroes are one thing, but I don't know that there's really any more *types* of units that are needed. That would be more replacing units than filling holes the faction isn't supposed to have, imho.

Maybe its just me, but when I play other factions there are elements that feel like I just need to glance at them from time to time so I can focus more on getting the most out the couple elements that get high mileage out of micro. I mean, everything benefits from good micro, but a lot of factions are just easier to play because some elements are less micro intensive.

The Empire needs 2 LPs.

Just because the faction is a swiss army knife, doesn't mean every army needs to be. Focus your armies on either being stand-and-shoot with artillery or cavalry and skirmishers IMO.
    That's more a discussion of the trouble with the Empire in multiplayer (the only place I think "better" is a thing that matters). The AI isn't really competent enough in SP to mess up your checkerboard so you don't really need to pay constant attention to it in the way I'm talking about.

The Empire needs 2 LPs.
    If you say so. I mean, I like Boris more than Karl Franz lore wise. But what's his campaign mechanics going to be that makes the actual situation and structure different from Karl Franz? If I get an LP, I want a different play experience, not just "ooh, now you can start across the street and wear a different hat."
  • Surge_2#1464Surge_2#1464 Registered Users Posts: 11,864

Vladdy said:

Cathay needs dlc.
    Empire needs rework.

Both need DLC.

Cathay just needs 3-5 LPs.
    3 LPs max.
    2 and an FLC, final offer.
    Kneel

• capybarasiesta89#4722capybarasiesta89#4722 Senior Member Edinburgh, ScotlandRegistered Users Posts: 5,457
    Karl Franz should boost State Troops like crazy, they definitely need big rework with DLC in the future.
    h1feizw8yzk6.jpg
  • KIT#5531KIT#5531 Registered Users Posts: 488

Karl Franz should boost State Troops like crazy, they definitely need big rework with DLC in the future.

Making speermen as strong as blackorcs is not a good solution. Instead other units like steam tanks, demigryph knights, and cannons should be more effective.
  • Vanilla_Gorilla#8529Vanilla_Gorilla#8529 Registered Users Posts: 39,185

Vladdy said:

Cathay needs dlc.
    Empire needs rework.

Both need DLC.

3 LPs max.
    They could have more
    They could easily do 5. No need to content deny for them.
    "It's no fun fighting people weaker than you." - The Beast"There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla Forum Terms & Conditions I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Drybrush Disciple, Sophisticated Savage.

Vladdy said:

Cathay needs dlc.
    Empire needs rework.

Both need DLC.

3 LPs max.
    2 and an FLC, final offer.
    That could leave them as the best roster in the game, but they deserve more. 4 with 3 FLCs. Final offer.
    "It's no fun fighting people weaker than you." - The Beast"There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla Forum Terms & Conditions I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Drybrush Disciple, Sophisticated Savage.
  • Itharus#3127Itharus#3127 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,403
    It does sometimes feel like Cathay is basically the Empire wearing a Cathay skin and that everything they have was just buffed from the Empire version.

Oh, and they stole giant statues from Tomb Kings, Pegasus Knights from Bretonnia, and got Thunderbarges before Dwarfs did because for some weird reason Dwarfs in TWWH actually have some of the worst gunpowder weaponry in the game instead of hands down the best like they are supposed to.

I'm not sure they actually have anything original in their roster other than the fact that they have shapeshifting legendary lords (who, btw, can presently use magic just as well in dragon form as human form so like... why human form?).

Kislev also is substantially stronger than other human factions across the board. In fact, Cathay and Kislev make Elves and Dwarfs look pretty shabby in most cases. Even Cathayan peasants are actually remarkably solid combatants... and makes one wonder wtf Bretonnia is doing wrong with theirs and why The Empire bothers training state troops at all. Also strange is that the armor ratings on some Kislev troops -- who are just wearing a mail shirt -- are as high as some Empire Troops in full plate... what? Are they using mithril or something? What's going on here?

Power creep is off the hook.
  • SubjectEighteenSubjectEighteen Registered Users Posts: 600
    Itharus said:

It does sometimes feel like Cathay is basically the Empire wearing a Cathay skin and that everything they have was just buffed from the Empire version.

Oh, and they stole giant statues from Tomb Kings, Pegasus Knights from Bretonnia, and got Thunderbarges before Dwarfs did because for some weird reason Dwarfs in TWWH actually have some of the worst gunpowder weaponry in the game instead of hands down the best like they are supposed to.

I'm not sure they actually have anything original in their roster other than the fact that they have shapeshifting legendary lords (who, btw, can presently use magic just as well in dragon form as human form so like... why human form?).

Kislev also is substantially stronger than other human factions across the board. In fact, Cathay and Kislev make Elves and Dwarfs look pretty shabby in most cases. Even Cathayan peasants are actually remarkably solid combatants... and makes one wonder wtf Bretonnia is doing wrong with theirs and why The Empire bothers training state troops at all. Also strange is that the armor ratings on some Kislev troops -- who are just wearing a mail shirt -- are as high as some Empire Troops in full plate... what? Are they using mithril or something? What's going on here?

Peasnt long spearman have 50 armor when you play as Zhao Ming. That's egregious.

That could leave them as the best roster in the game, but they deserve more. 4 with 3 FLCs. Final offer.

Nah, 2 LP, 2 FLC. That will cover their supposed 'Army Book' and let the other factions (like Empire discussed here) get the attention they need and deserve. Cathay is fine, and 2+2 is more than they need.
    Kneel

Nah, 2 LP, 2 FLC. That will cover their supposed 'Army Book' and let the other factions (like Empire discussed here) get the attention they need and deserve. Cathay is fine, and 2+2 is more than they need.
    5 DLCs 2 FLCs then. You rejected the final offer, price goes up.

Cathay is a full on major core and has endless potential.
  • Pray#3234Pray#3234 Registered Users Posts: 1,606
    people want Empire dlc but don't forget they don't have better troop than currently .

Tuegeon guard are just worse Greatsword
    Knight panther - White wolf are just another knight that will rarely use because they can't fight with anything after mid game.
    Nuln ironsider are like Thunderer , more armor but we are going to not use them of the time because upkeep .

The point is they need buff .

Demigeyph knight have same speed as Bear cavalry but 1.5k less hp .
    Greatsword slow like snail , same speed as Dwarf ?
    Flaggenlant is tier 3 unit ???????????????????????? but perform like Skaven clanrant ?????
    Halbadier formation where ?
    Luminask of useless
    Paper Tank
    Hellblaster of stuck gun , also tier 5 ??????????????????????????????????

as you can see their top tier unit are simply underpower , they are stronger both in lore and TT .
  • Kn_Gars#2718Kn_Gars#2718 Registered Users Posts: 3,275
    Pray said:

people want Empire dlc but don't forget they don't have better troop than currently .

Knight panther - White wolf are just another knight that will rarely use because they can't fight with anything after mid game.
    Nuln ironsider are like Thunderer , more armor but we are going to not use them of the time because upkeep .

Flaggenlant is tier 3 unit ???????????????????????? but perform like Skaven clanrant ?????
    Luminask of useless
    Paper Tank

as you can see their top tier unit are simply underpower , they are stronger both in lore and TT .

You might want to read up on the actual stats of the TT units before making claims. Teutogen Guard had better stats available through upgrades and CA access special rules through the Ulrican characters that would be leading them.

Flagellants were not top tier in 8th edition, they are a unbreakable meatshield unit that can tarpit some enemies while you shoot them.

None of us have a clue about the upkeep that the Nuln Ironsides will have and I have yet to see a unit with such high upkeep that players don't use it as long as it is cost effective or fun.

And it does not matter what the units where in the TT, CA has repeatedly shown that they can develop TT units in new directions to make them work. Eltharion's Mistlwalkers did not even have stats & rules in the TT, nor did the Silverin Guard. They were all just names.
    The user formerly known as KN_Gars, thanks for the involunatry rename CA.
    Pray said:

Luminask of useless
    Paper Tank

Fully agree. CA should buff the units you mentioned. There is one unit which could be a good addition: Foot Reiksguard.

5 DLCs 2 FLCs then. You rejected the final offer, price goes up.

Cathay is a full on major core and has endless potential.
    LOL
    Kneel

Itharus said:

Peasnt long spearman have 50 armor when you play as Zhao Ming. That's egregious.
    Bretonnian peasants can have 200 armour. Where is your dragon emperor now?

Pray said:

Luminask of useless
    Paper Tank

Fully agree. CA should buff the units you mentioned. There is one unit which could be a good addition: Foot Reiksguard.
    Foot Reiksguard would just be greatswords but worse because they wouldn't have great weapons. Back when they existed the Greatsword was a light armour unit and Reiksguard on foot were the heavy armour WS4 foot unit.

Nowadays Greatswords are heavy armour and WS4.

The answer is to make Greatswords a bit better and give them access to better campaign buffs.
    The Luminark and Hellblaster are problems because of the way terrain works. They get blocked a lot more than they should. They work quite well when molehills aren't blocking them. That requires a fix for the LOS system, not the units.

Not going to go line by line through your hyperbole, but I can tell you that Flagellants do not perform like clanrats. They have a higher MA, more damage, and a slight 100 vs 45 morale difference. I think they are easier to recruit now than in WH2, but I'd have to get in game to double check that.
  • SubjectEighteenSubjectEighteen Registered Users Posts: 600

Itharus said:

Bretonnian peasants can have 200 armour. Where is your dragon emperor now?
    Okay, yeah they can, late game, with something like 50 fully developed provinces. Peasant long spearman have more armor than empire troops by like turn 5.

Pray said:

Luminask of useless
    Paper Tank

Foot Reiksguard would just be greatswords but worse because they wouldn't have great weapons. Back when they existed the Greatsword was a light armour unit and Reiksguard on foot were the heavy armour WS4 foot unit.

The answer is to make Greatswords a bit better and give them access to better campaign buffs.
    All a question of going back far enough

And are the Tzar Guard with with shields worse than those with Great Weapons? Or the Chaos Warriors & Chosen with Shields vs those with Great Weapons? They had different tactical roles. Reiksguard would give the Empire a more solid anvil and would deal better with some types of missile fire.
    Simply put it is time for the Empire to no longer be limited by a strict adherence to the TT or by being tied to an asymetric game design most other races have abandoned. The remaining TT units should serve as creative fuel and inspiration rather than a straight jacket. If CA can turn standard High Elf units with a fancy name into Eltharion's Mistwalkers they can do the same with the Imperial Foot, the Cult of Ulric, the Knightly orders and the Nuln Ironsides. All it takes is the will to deliver some good Empire content, the lore and inspiration is already there.

Pray said:

Luminask of useless
    Paper Tank

They could have shilds and heavy armor. So they can hold the line.