Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The Unofficial Total War: Age of Sigmar Discussion Thread

TomCatMe0wTomCatMe0w Registered Users Posts: 142
edited October 2022 in Total War General Chat
First of all, I do not see an AOS TW game coming out anytime in the immediate future. First of all, there's still much life in WH3 with tons of dlc and update possibilities, not to mention CA is probably working on their next historical title (And there's a possibility we'd probably get a 40k TW, which is likely more heavily requested).

Now that being said, I think this is likely a future game since CA and GW are likely to pursuit this joint venture after WH3 has run its full course of content.

What is Age of Sigmar?

Age of Sigmar is the successor to Warhammer Fantasy Battles, after the End Times destroyed all of the world. GW wanted to update the game with a new set of rules, have a chance to rename their lore (for copyright), and believed the intial fantasy game was failing (Whether or not it was is up to debate, but they are going to bring back the old Fantasy content as Old World)

Having survive the end of the world and his epic battle with Archaon the Everchosen, God-King Sigmar set out to rebuild the world alongside several other gods he found, including Gorkamorka (the fusion of Gork and Mork) and the recently newly ascended eleven dieties, including Teclis, Tyrion, Arielle, and Malerion (formely Malekith). He even sided with the nefarious god of death, Nagash, for the promise of all the mortal souls for his realm.

They rebuild the shattered world as the Mortal Realms, seperate planes of existence connected through magical gates. The new pantheon was set out to battle the legions of Chaos, their common enemy. However, it broke apart when the dieties' own plans and actions divided them (such as when Sigmar claimed the souls of champions to turn into his Stormcast Eternals, breaking his promise to Nagash).

Now four different loosely connected alliances fight for the future of the Mortal Realms: Order, headed by God-King Sigmar and the Aelf pantheon; Chaos, the followers of the foul gods of chaos; Destruction, the monstrous brutal forces of Gorkamorka; and finally Death, the unliving thralls of Nagash.

Why Would Age of Sigmar work as a Total War game?

This game would fit for the same reasons Fantasy worked for TW. True, the alliance angle does sound like the fight would only between four different factions, until you remember they are not completely united. There is always in-fighting and such, and the only reason they don't go to full war is because they hate the other Alliances more.

For example, Morathi and the Daughters of Khaine recently took control of Anvilgard, a city of Sigmar, and renamed it Har Karon. The Stormcasts marched in to take it back, but apparently when Celestant-Prime spoke to Morathi, she apparently made a deal with him to keep the city, though we do not what she offered.

Meanwhile, the Slyvaneth basically hate everyone who goes into their forests and are quite brutal and sadistic to those they capture. They will fight alongside other armies as long as they stay out of their realm.

And it shouldn't be a surprise, Chaos and Destruction are always fighting amongst themselves. Death is kind of more united than the others, but they do fight for Nagash's favor.

How Would this Be Different from the current TW: WH games?

This would play very similar gameplay wise, controlling vast armies on a field in active real time battles. There would be all new factions, though some would play very familar to many of the factions in Fantasy now.

This game can add some new details for example that could twist up combat and such. For example, Age of Sigmar allows for the use of terrain and shrines on the battlefield that can grant boons to their faction and debuffs to their enemies.

For example, the Mawtribe Ogors (Ogres) drag around their great mawpot into battle. In the tabletop, the Great Mawpot gives buffs to ogor spellcasters and can restore the health of units in its proximity. However, each time its used, it can only be refilled by killing an enemy in its range. In a TW game, it could do the same, having a limited supply of healing stew that fills up as enemies die in its range.

In addition, the map designers would have the advantage of not having to worry about connecting the different regions in a fitting way, unlike the current TW game. This is because the different realms are not physically connected and thus they can focus on creating a well-sized and designed map without worrying about borders. To get to a different realm, an army must travel through a waygate. This also means if an area isn't ready yet because there's no real faction presence there yet in the game, it can be put aside and added in easily later.

What Would Be the Factions? Which would be the base and which would be set for DLC/FLC?

Ok, now this is where it gets a little up for discussion. Obviously, to make as many fans of the game happy as possible, all four alliances should have playable factions in the base game. However, putting every faction in the game would cause some imbalance and such as Order is almost twice of the size as the other three combined. There's also be too many legendary lords to start with, so I would think this should be the starting goal.

17 Factions/LLs. (2 factions for Order, Destruction, and Death, and 5 for Chaos. Two LLs for each former and one for each faction of Chaos)

Seems big, but I think its doable, especially as time goes on.

This is who I see as the base game:

Order:

Stormcasts. We have to start with the Stormcast Eternals. These golden boys and gals are the poster children of AOS. I would think their starting LLs should be Celestant-Prime (a slow but powerful spell warrior) and Yndrasta (quick and agile). Celestant-Prime could start in Azyr while Yndrasta starts in Ghur.

Slyvaneth. After all the thoughts I had, I thought the best option for the second starting Order faction should be the Slyvaneth. This will be because there will be factions fighting in Ghur, and it just makes it easier to put them in. They would be fighting Nurgle and have an uneasy situation with Yndrastra.

Destruction:

Orruk Warclans.(Greenskins/Orks). These guys are pretty much the face of the Destruction faction. Now the thing is, I thought about if the Warclans should be one faction themselves or be divided between the different subcultures (Iron Jawz, Krule Boyz, Skull-Smashas). The latter would give destruction more options, but between them and the Gloomspite Gitz, people may get tired of green skins. I decided they would work with each lord having a specific clan focus, and only be able to recruit the other types when certain objectives are completed (like confederating the others). So, my thought for the starter lords would be Gordrakk, the Fist of Gork (Ironjawz) and Gobsprakk, the Mouth of Mork (Krule Boyz). Godrakk would be your basic brutal warrior who focuses on the Ironjawz units while Gobsprakk is a spellcaster whose strength is the Krule Boyz.

The Mawtribe Ogors. Let's face it, these guys are the only other choice to avoid "green fatigue". Gloomspite should come as dlc, and unfortunately, unless CA really invests in them, the Sons of Behamat don't offer enough for a full army beyond "Big stomping giants" for a TW game. I'm not sure who should be their leaders, but one should be a Gutbusters focused one (basic ogre gameplay with walls of meat and clubs and ranged options) and the other Beastclaw Raiders (high manuerability with beast mounts, allies, and tons of ice magic). They can use both types of units, but have better focus on their specific armies.

Death:

The Nighthaunts. These guys are the most commonly used of Nagash's army, and thus I think they should be a base game death faction. These specters would play as magical high speed units, but as not as sturdy as many other factions, and like other Death factions, have no real artillery. Their leaders should probably be Lady Olynder (since she's their Mortarch) as a spellcaster and Awlrach the Drowner as a high speed, melee assassin.

The Ossiarch Bonereapers. These would be the opposite of Nighthaunts and would fit perfectly for the base game with limited space. They would play as slow-moving, but highly defensible warriors. These skeletons would have slower spells, but more about buffing themselves rather than the Nighthaunts' more damaging ones. As for their starter LLs, I would suggest Katakros (as their mortarch) and either Arch-Kavalos Zandatos or Arkhan the Black (which would be good for people who want to play someone they reconize).

I decided these two have the most ease to put in; Soulblight would work better as a faction pack since they have so many different LLs, they would fit better in a whole pack dedicated to them.

Chaos:

Slaves to Darkness. We need the undivided faction, who play on a high focus on mortal warriors and monsters, similar to the WoC in the game now. And of course, their first leader should be Archaon the Everchoosen.

The Maggotkin of Nurgle. Like in the current game, the Maggotkin should be all about surviving all the crap thrown at them until their diseased forces wear the enemy out. Since they are the most famous figures of the Maggotkin and should have priority with only one slot, the Glottkin should be the Maggotkin's starting legendary lord as a hybrid warrior, spellcaster, and monster.

The Blades of Khorne. Your basic bloody bersekers with no magic, and just plain slaughtering of the enemies through sheer might and charging forward. Their starting lord should either be Valkia the Bloody, Khorgos Khul, or Skarbrand.

Hedonites of Slannesh. The debaunched followers of Slannesh who focus on enslaving their opponents through corruption and depravity as well dominating the field through enpowering themselves and weakening their foes. My first choice for their LL should be Prince Sigvald, though Gutos would be a second choice for me.

The Disciples of Tzeentch. If you want spells, manipulation, and mutations, then this army is for you. The only LL I can see for this army is Kairos Fateweaver, who'd probably play similar to how he does in WH3.

So that's just my take on this. What do you guys think? Feel free to share your thoughts and own ideas.
Post edited by BillyRuffian#6250 on

Comments

• ConradToskan#5474ConradToskan#5474 Registered Users Posts: 381
    AoS is just an absolutely uninteresting setting. I would never buy an AoS TW game.
  • Cortes31#6909Cortes31#6909 Registered Users Posts: 2,385
    Respect for all that work but I just do not see the appeal of an AoS for TW.

Then again, I do not see the appeal of ANY further possible Total War with Warhammer. I'd much rather have something else for their next fantasy TW. Hopefully something smaller, not another gigantic trilogy with spaghetti code. Just 1 basegame with a couple DLC.
  • Neodeinos#5871Neodeinos#5871 Registered Users Posts: 16,088
  • TomCatMe0wTomCatMe0w Registered Users Posts: 142

Then again, I do not see the appeal of ANY further possible Total War with Warhammer. I'd much rather have something else for their next fantasy TW. Hopefully something smaller, not another gigantic trilogy with spaghetti code. Just 1 basegame with a couple DLC.

Well, right now the only major fantasy franchises that are avalible and can work as a TW game that I can think of are Warhammer and Lord of the Rings. Most others are tightly held by their own game companies.

While WH3 has loads of possible content left to come for years, it will eventually come to an end. And after that, the only warhammer properties are 40k and AOS. We'd probably see the former first since that is far more requested and would be a very different setting and such for TW. AOS would probably come later, like many years later (Which would help since it gives time for more AOS content to come and be used in the game).

Now, don't get me wrong: I would LOVE to see Lord of the Rings as a TW game. But the big hurdles include getting enough rights to make a quality product (all the rights are majorly divided between the Tolkien estate and New Line Cinema) and how they would decide to base it: whether on the books, movies, or a combination of the two.

Because GW is basically giving them the keys to their IP, either 40k and/or AOS would be more likely given the current situation.
  • SerPus#7395SerPus#7395 Registered Users Posts: 9,872
    AoS itself is still missing a lot of stuff. Give it 10 more years to properly develope.
    SerPus said:

AoS itself is still missing a lot of stuff. Give it 10 more years to properly develope.

Probably by the time they would get to it, they probably would have it. Like I said, there's still years for the current wh3 stuff. And then, 40k will be more likely to be next with years of content of their own.
  • 1v0#35621v0#3562 Registered Users Posts: 2,347
    edited October 2022
    No thank you, better 40k (and please god be 40k and not primaris marines... but i won't open that can of worms...)

Age of sigmar is too high fantasy for me... I don't want to get into the discusion about high fantasy and stuff but this is just not for me !

Question:Presumably you’ve needed to create a huge number of new Daemon units to properly flesh them out and give them their own armies?
    Answer:IR: What you’ve just said is so true,
  • WhySoSalty#3990WhySoSalty#3990 Registered Users Posts: 1,524

SerPus said:

Probably by the time they would get to it, they probably would have it. Like I said, there's still years for the current wh3 stuff. And then, 40k will be more likely to be next with years of content of their own.
    a 40K total war isnt total war anymore. i rather take a new proper DoW
    My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperial, can you say the same?

• Heretical_Cactus#7598Heretical_Cactus#7598 Registered Users Posts: 3,033
    SerPus said:

Yeah, for a map based strategy game AoS is still to young

AoS should get a few games in the future though, not Turn based strategy game ideally

Like either a Tide game in AoS, or a story based rpg to make the setting grow
  • davedave1124#4773davedave1124#4773 Senior Member St Helens UKRegistered Users Posts: 22,050
    edited October 2022
    I don’t think it’s the best option but it could certainly work.

GW could release new models in relation to AoS:TW. A lack of fleshed out races wouldn’t really impact CA as they are more than capable of extending races and rosters.

I think the preference argument of.. ‘it’s uninteresting’ is a personal take, as in I find the Roman period uninteresting yet that doesn’t detract from the overall sales of R2.

Not my first choice but CA could certainly make it work.
    Post edited by davedave1124#4773 on
  • davedave1124#4773davedave1124#4773 Senior Member St Helens UKRegistered Users Posts: 22,050

SerPus said:

Agreed, I’d like to see 40k which would probably be the most long term option for a game series CA could create.
  • Cortes31#6909Cortes31#6909 Registered Users Posts: 2,385
    edited October 2022

Well, right now the only major fantasy franchises that are avalible and can work as a TW game that I can think of are Warhammer and Lord of the Rings. Most others are tightly held by their own game companies.

While WH3 has loads of possible content left to come for years, it will eventually come to an end. And after that, the only warhammer properties are 40k and AOS. We'd probably see the former first since that is far more requested and would be a very different setting and such for TW. AOS would probably come later, like many years later (Which would help since it gives time for more AOS content to come and be used in the game).

Now, don't get me wrong: I would LOVE to see Lord of the Rings as a TW game. But the big hurdles include getting enough rights to make a quality product (all the rights are majorly divided between the Tolkien estate and New Line Cinema) and how they would decide to base it: whether on the books, movies, or a combination of the two.

Because GW is basically giving them the keys to their IP, either 40k and/or AOS would be more likely given the current situation.
    Now I am wondering if CA could pull of a LotR TW with the models GW is making for their TT.

Also, I think that Redwall and Elder Scrolls could work too but (and I kinda hope that) not as a trilogy but as 1 single game with couple DLC.
  • Commisar#2307Commisar#2307 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,177

Now I am wondering if CA could pull of a LotR TW with the models GW is making for their TT.

Wouldn't be able to. They don't have the license for that. Closest they might get away with would be making a literal digital copy of that game, but then it's not TW.
  • Heretical_Cactus#7598Heretical_Cactus#7598 Registered Users Posts: 3,033
    Commisar said:

Wouldn't be able to. They don't have the license for that. Closest they might get away with would be making a literal digital copy of that game, but then it's not TW.
    They can get the licence, that's how it work.

If the company/group that currently has the licence isn't uninterested in making money.
    edited October 2022
    So here's my thoughts of how a TW Stormcast Eternals army would work.

Who are the Stormcasts?

These are the golden, demi-god warriors of the great God-King Sigmar. Those who fought bravely to their very end in the name of Sigmar would be whisked away to be reborn and continue their crusade against all those who threaten the Mortal Realms. From mighty kings and warriors to doctors and merchants to even lowly peasants; all those who proved themselves would be worthy to join the army of the God-King.

After extensive training in body, mind, and spirit, the canidate is taken to the Eternal Forge where their bodies are blasted apart by lightning and their souls given new, ageless and powerful demi-god bodies of Sigmaron. They become the mightiest of warriors and among the greatest champions of Order.

How Would the Stormcasts Play?

I envision the Stormcasts as the "beginner" faction. They would have a well-balanced gameplay that can hold up even in late game. They have no overall weaknesses, though there are factions who beat them in specific areas.

The Stormcasts would have unique lightning-based magic, including the ability to summon more Stormcasts through blasts of lightning. They could even have the ability to teleport to different parts of the field to quickly overcome enemies or flee to recover and regain their footing,

The Stormcasts would have an unique faction ability called Reforging where they can revive killed characters with all their levels, gear, and stats all intact, but at a possible cost. In lore, Stormcasts can be revived from death through reforging, but each time, a piece of them is potentially lost. This can cause a change of personality, such as losing a sense of humor, becoming abrasive to others, and generally becoming colder and less empethetic to others.

Who would be the Starting Legendary Lords?

After thinking about and how to fit it altogether with all factions, I decided the two best ones would be Celestant-Prime and Yndrasta.

Celestant-Prime

This is the very leader of the Stormcasts, second only to Sigmar. Once a great king in the World-That-Was, he is the wielder of Sigmar's own mystical warhammer, the Ghal-Maraz.

Celestant-Prime would be the ideal starter lord for beginners, much like Karl Franz was in WH1 (which is fitting coonsidering that the two may be the same being according to fan-theories). He would play as a slow and steady warrior who can fly, but is more fitting to lead his forces at the front. Celestant-Prime also has access to magic, such as devastating his enemies with lightning.

I picture Celestant-Prime's faction as being played as a slow and eased army within battles. A player does not have to react quickly and make desicions as much as others, as his forces are meant to take damage and just keep hammering until the enemies fall.

Celestant-Prime would be based in Azyr, the home of the Stormcasts, as this makes the most sense for him. He could be fighting against invading forces from all three other alliances.

Yndrasta, the Celestial Spear

A great warrior of a tribe based in Ghur, she fought to the near end against the demonic forces of Khorne. She would have met her death at the hands of the daemon king, Doombreed, if not for Sigmar intervening by blasting the daemon to bits while whisking her away to be reforged as one of his greatest champions.

Yndrasta would play as the opposite of Celestant-Prime, acting as a more agile, assassin-type fighter. Her faction would be for those who want more of a challenge, requiring a more tedious gamestyle that can punish you if you don't act fast enough.

As much of her lore has her focused around Ghur, that would be her ideal starting point. She would be already at war with the Maggotkin there, as well as facing the threats against a force of destruction like Ogors, and possibly a death faction. Yndrasta must also navigate an uneasy relationship with the Slyvaneth forces there; the players' actions can determine if they can become allies or another foe to fight.

What would be the Lord and Hero Units?

These are the starting ones I see:

Lords

1: Lord-Arcanum. (Spellcaster. Can upgrade to mounted)
    2: Lord-Aquilor (Calvary)
    3: Lord-Celestant (Warrior)
    4: Lord-Veritant (Support priest)

Heroes:
    1: Lord-Castellant (has access to a pet gryphound fighting alongside him. They share health)
    2: Knight-Venator (Ranged)
    3: Knight-Arcanum (Spellcaster)

Legendary Hero:
    1: Hamilcar Bear-Eater. Exceptionally powerful warrior that be must unlocked through specific requirements.

What Would Their Starting Units Be?

Infantry:
    1: Liberators (hammer and shield tanks)
    2: Vanquishers (two-handed sword fighters)
    3: Sequitors (Two-handed hammer full on attack)

Ranged:
    1: Castigators (Fast moving Crossbows)
    2: Celestar Ballista (slow, but powerful artillery

Fast Moving:
    1: Gryph-Hounds (speedy griffin dogs)
    2: Prosecutors (winged fighters. One version has javelins and the other hammers)
    3: Aetherwings (swarming flocks of birds)
    4: Dracothian Guards (come as Fulminators with swords and Tempestors as ranged)

Monster:
    1: Stormdrake Guards. (Stormcasts riding dragon mounts)
    Post edited by TomCatMe0w on
  • #224273#224273 Registered Users Posts: 1
    I would love an AOS Total War and I'm tired of seeing the AOS hate. I get it, GW hurt peoples feelings by making the setting, and by all accounts (personally, I only started playing AOS last year) the first two editions were AWFUL. In fact, this game is super fun. The lore is weird in all the weirdest and interesting ways.

Personally, if we were to see an AOS TW, you'd have to do one realm at a time, and each further realm is an expac or uber DLC. Add factions with DLCs.

For Orruks, as that's what I play and know best, I would do what they did for release. Release with your basic Orruks, the Bonesplittaz and the Ironjawz. Then later down the line, add the Kruleboyz. Make expansions or big DLC chunks based on the general's handbooks and season storylines. Ghur should introduce the Incarnate unit for instance.

But here's where I think AOS TW would have a fun opportunity. I know nothing about 40k's gameplay, and I never played Fantasy on tabletop as by the time I could afford to, it was long gone.

Daniel. Every faction should have a Daniel. A custom legendary lord that you create if you don't want to play one of the legendary lords. The reason I state this? In tabletop in AOS, sometimes the named character isn't always better. Gordrakk for example, hits HARD, and probably harder than a basic Mawkrusha Megaboss. Yet he's weaker defensively. Some of the fun you can do with AoS is the Path to Glory, where you take a general, start him as a foot hero, and work your way up. Imagine that in a TW game for any lord.

Orruk Megaboss who gets a Mawkrusha, can be customized to have the Rip Toof Fist and a badass axe.

A Stormcast that goes from being on foot to riding a dragon.

You get the picture. And yes, this is a thread necro but I was looking up AoS Total War for my own amusement today xD