Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Warhammer 3 has one of the worst and best player retentions%

NickCageStoleMyFace#5594NickCageStoleMyFace#5594 Registered Users Posts: 2,789
edited October 2022 in Total War General Chat

This is basically an add on to a post from u/republicofplay, who also has more info in his OP including comparisons/analysis of Mortal Empires.

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/th4g4c/player_numbers_for_tw_games_at_28_days_from/

Comparing IE to ME, Immortal Empires was not able to beat Mortal Empires 28 day drop.

Mortal Empires

Day 1: 41,500

Day 28: 16,977

% Drop: -59.09%

IE had 3X the player count at launch compared to ME, so this is still quite impressive. WH2 ME player count was more a slow build anyway.

So, in summary Warhammer 2, ME, IE and to a lesser degree 3K are the most successful Total Wars in terms of Player Retention at launch with Thrones of Britannia and Warhammer 3 being the worst.
Post edited by dge1 on

Comments

• NickCageStoleMyFace#5594NickCageStoleMyFace#5594 Registered Users Posts: 2,789
    For people that like data.
  • Loreguy#1056Loreguy#1056 Registered Users Posts: 1,854
    Now show Troy on Epic.

I would like to see numbers of the most successful game.
  • mewade44#6520mewade44#6520 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,090
  • NickCageStoleMyFace#5594NickCageStoleMyFace#5594 Registered Users Posts: 2,789
    Loreguy said:

Now show Troy on Epic.

I doubt retention was anything to write home about.
  • hatsrehatsre Registered Users Posts: 203
    It looks like you are showing us the vortex campaign for TWW2 not mortal empires?

• Bayes#3307Bayes#3307 Senior Member NorwayRegistered Users Posts: 5,021
    hatsre said:

It looks like you are showing us the vortex campaign for TWW2 not mortal empires?

it is actually showing the concurrent player peak from the launch of ME at the end for total war warhammer 2. Basically you can ignore the numbers for total war wahammer 2.

Also using daily concurrent player peak as a metric of player retention is really flawed in so many ways.
    hatsre said:

The Mortal Empires Data is in the OP, I just didn't add it to the table.
  • MalalTheRenegade#5644MalalTheRenegade#5644 Registered Users Posts: 920
    edited October 2022
    Thanks for sharing.

Player retention is irrelevant in a single player game though. Only sales and the player peak during the week after a content launch may be helpful to gauge the game's popularity.
  • hatsrehatsre Registered Users Posts: 203

hatsre said:

But how can it be in the OP when Mortal empires came out over 28 days from TWW2 release?

The vortex campaign was the only campaign playable for 28 days after TWW2 released. Mortal empires wasnt even out yet.
  • Vanilla_Gorilla#8529Vanilla_Gorilla#8529 Registered Users Posts: 39,834
    Shrug.
    There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Drybrush Disciple, Sophisticated Savage.
  • Schub#9514Schub#9514 Registered Users Posts: 1,624
    Loreguy said:

Now show Troy on Epic.

Most successful? Yeah seven million downloads because it was free. Of course CA got money from epic for that deal but does that make Troy really successfull? How many people actually started Troy? How many bought the first DLC?
  • Loreguy#1056Loreguy#1056 Registered Users Posts: 1,854
    edited October 2022

Loreguy said:

Now show Troy on Epic.

Maybe. But it's something to read a Schub#9514 said: Loreguy said:Now show Troy on Epic.

Most successful? Yeah seven million downloads because it was free. Of course CA got money from epic for that deal but does that make Troy really successfull? How many people actually started Troy? How many bought the first DLC?

I have same questions!

IMHO Troy was great deal for CA. I was just curious if someone have real numbers.
  • Commissar_G#7535Commissar_G#7535 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,868
    Loreguy said:

Loreguy said:

Now show Troy on Epic.

Maybe. But it's something to read a Schub#9514 said:

Loreguy said:

Now show Troy on Epic.

I have same questions!

IMHO Troy was great deal for CA. I was just curious if someone have real numbers.

The lack of DLC support speaks for itself.
    MarcusLivius: You are indeed a lord of entitlement.
  • aMint1#4859aMint1#4859 Registered Users Posts: 1,255
    Dunno, checking retention numbers after a dlc seems a bit spurious - the worst dlc's are going to have the best retention percentage given that they have less far to fall to reach baseline.

Looking a bit more broadly, yesterday's peak was ~33k, which is about what TWW2 was getting during 2020/21 plateaus and it's still going down. But we're still in a beta and there is significant issues. Will be interesting to see the baseline numbers once it's out of beta and fixed up a bit more.
  • Nitros14#7973Nitros14#7973 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,924
    Man Attila was good.

They did so much right with that game.
  • SPB#4380SPB#4380 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 11

Loreguy said:

Loreguy said:

Now show Troy on Epic.

Maybe. But it's something to read a Schub#9514 said:

Loreguy said:

Now show Troy on Epic.

I have same questions!

The lack of DLC support speaks for itself.

lack of dlc? troy was a saga game and got 4 dlcs. thrones of britannia was one as well and didnt get a single one.
    thats what you should compare it to, not rome, warhammer or 3k.
  • Bayes#3307Bayes#3307 Senior Member NorwayRegistered Users Posts: 5,021
    hatsre said:

hatsre said:

But how can it be in the OP when Mortal empires came out over 28 days from TWW2 release?

The vortex campaign was the only campaign playable for 28 days after TWW2 released. Mortal empires wasnt even out yet.
    He added it to the op as well.
    But mortal empires came out exactly 28 days after tww2. The player retention if you want to call it that for vortex was actually really bad, look at day 21.